Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Indecisive has the right of it. Wait for day time and add more solar panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Remote User posted:

I'm having a problem. I'm still fairly new to this, and am just now starting solar fields, and accumulators. But when I drop my accumulators, they flash a red no power icon, despite having power, and plenty of it. The hell am I doing wrong?

-e
I tossed a light down just to show it's powered.

Until they have been filled up they will show that red if they are down, connected to a power network but not receiving any juice. Either that isn't connected to your main power network or as Indesive says you aren't producing enough to spare. Power will only go to accumulators when all other demands are satisfied and it will only drain when all other sources are at maximum.

I played some more of the forest game tonight, this is my radar view. This is why I am scared of pissing off the natives with pollution.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Thanks, guys. I didn't realize they needed extra power, I thought they'd just juice off of my current set up.

Remote User fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 30, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ratzap posted:

Until they have been filled up they will show that red if they are down, connected to a power network but not receiving any juice. Either that isn't connected to your main power network or as Indesive says you aren't producing enough to spare. Power will only go to accumulators when all other demands are satisfied and it will only drain when all other sources are at maximum.

I played some more of the forest game tonight, this is my radar view. This is why I am scared of pissing off the natives with pollution.

holy poo poo.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Remote User posted:

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize they needed extra power, I thought they'd just juice off of my current set up.

They will, if your current setup has production that exceeds consumption. Accumulators charge off of extra power (and your steam engines will work harder to charge them) and discharge when production falls below consumption. If you mouse over an assembler and the bar isn't green, then you're drawing more power than your factory can produce, so your accumulators won't charge.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You need to add a SHITLOAD of solar panels for them to start adding up enough compared to a bunch of steam engines, but they require no fuel upkeep and if you get enough accumulators you can eventually store enough to last you a while.

I'm guessing automating solar panels is what some people do.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I feel like solar panels really need a higher tech, higher power option. Needing to put down huge fields of them gets a bit tiresome.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Speedball posted:

You need to add a SHITLOAD of solar panels for them to start adding up enough compared to a bunch of steam engines, but they require no fuel upkeep and if you get enough accumulators you can eventually store enough to last you a while.

I'm guessing automating solar panels is what some people do.

Yep. Automate solar panels, accumulators, roboports, and substations so that you can have bots crap out as many solar blocks as your heart (and power requirements) desires. Personally, I like to run efficiency modules in my equipment to cut down on pollution, so my power requirements tend to be fairly low, with the exception of roboports.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I feel like solar panels really need a higher tech, higher power option. Needing to put down huge fields of them gets a bit tiresome.

I'm not sure I agree. On the one hand it'd be nice, but on the other hand, blueprints mean you only ever have to make that field once (or download it via blueprint strings), and then you can replicate it as much as you like all across the landscape with a few clicks.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not sure I agree. On the one hand it'd be nice, but on the other hand, blueprints mean you only ever have to make that field once (or download it via blueprint strings), and then you can replicate it as much as you like all across the landscape with a few clicks.

Eventually having upgrades to most things would be nice but right now that's the reason for part mods. Some maps don't have huge open spaces to tile out solar forever, having options is good.

SneakyFrog posted:

holy poo poo.

Pretty much what I thought as the radar scanned more and more red round me. It's going to be like a classic warhammer 40k tyrannid swarm trying to fight that lot. I've made 2400 AP rounds so far and 40 turrets but I think I'm going to need a lot more. Grenades were an expensive way to clear the forest quickly but hell it was fun. Flamethrower fuel is up next and hope the forest doesn't burn forever if I light it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

There is, it's called a steam engine.

If you want a power source that requires no fuel and produces no pollution then you have to deal with putting down hundreds of them(which isn't really that hard since again, they have absolutely no logistics and you can just make a blueprint consisting of a big field of them and drop it down wherever you have space and it'll work just fine).

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Steam Engines may produce no pollution, but the boilers do.

Speaking of Steam Engines, the ratio is still 1:14:10 yeah?

I was wondering how to (or if) I could apply the math behind the ratio to the MoMods MoPower Octo Steam Engine or if anyone has already figured it out I'd love to know.

VV Hence the use of Efficiency Modules.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 30, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I suppose the appeal of electric furnaces is they require less of a supply line to set up, but they suck up SO much juice.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Speedball posted:

I suppose the appeal of electric furnaces is they require less of a supply line to set up, but they suck up SO much juice.

In fact, if you're powering electric furnaces with steam power, they produce just as much pollution and use twice as much fuel as conventional furnaces.

They're not really worth it until you've got modules or can power them all just on solar. Unless you just want the convenience of not running a fuel line.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Welp, I played on and off yesterday and last night in between naps (can't sleep for more than an hour at a time, bleh)

http://imgur.com/a/oP8I4

For my first base i'm pretty happy with it, almost done researching all the green techs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jabor posted:

In fact, if you're powering electric furnaces with steam power, they produce just as much pollution and use twice as much fuel as conventional furnaces.

They're not really worth it until you've got modules or can power them all just on solar. Unless you just want the convenience of not running a fuel line.

Yeah, even when I unlock electric furnaces, I don't tend to use them until I've got a few solar arrays set up. And then I use them exclusively from then on, to help bolster production. With a few modules in them as well for efficiency, power consumption goes right down. Coal is plentiful though, and I always have tonnes of it, so I don't mind using it in smelting.

dogstile posted:

Welp, I played on and off yesterday and last night in between naps (can't sleep for more than an hour at a time, bleh)

http://imgur.com/a/oP8I4

For my first base i'm pretty happy with it, almost done researching all the green techs.

drat, that sleep thing sucks. Is it a condition or are you just unlucky like that?

Also, your base is pretty drat nice. I've noticed you've sort of already got a bus system running (2 lanes of copper, 2 spaces, 2 lanes of iron). Why not use the tree-branch system of assembling? Lets you expand infinitely outwards to bolster production of certain goods (say, gears, or cables, whatever). Would iron out that spaghetti-ness in no time. I also love the instant at-a-glance feedback it gives you on what items are lacking: if your metal is coming through at a trickle, you know you need to add more smelters. If gear wheels are being hoovered up down the line and not reaching anything further on, you know to add more gear assemblers.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 30, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I feel like by the time you unlock electric furnaces, too, you'd already have to have set up a major coal line.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Loopoo posted:

drat, that sleep thing sucks. Is it a condition or are you just unlucky like that?

Also, your base is pretty drat nice. I've noticed you've sort of already got a bus system running (2 lanes of copper, 2 spaces, 2 lanes of iron). Why not use the tree-branch system of assembling? Lets you expand infinitely outwards to bolster production of certain goods (say, gears, or cables, whatever). Would iron out that spaghetti-ness in no time. I also love the instant at-a-glance feedback it gives you on what items are lacking: if your metal is coming through at a trickle, you know you need to add more smelters. If gear wheels are being hoovered up down the line and not reaching anything further on, you know to add more gear assemblers.

Nah, i'm just ill right now. Factorio helps, keeps me distracted but I end up concentrating to hard and then its time for another nap.

I hadn't actually thought about a tree branch way of assembling, do you have a screenshot of what you mean? If I have space to add it, I'll give it a try. Hell, even if I don't have space I can always go liberate some more land.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I'm on my 2nd game with this being my first time using a main bus. I've planned it out so I have enough room for four iron and four copper. I've also added a single belt of coal, gears and copper wiring as well as green circuits. Are adding these extra things necessary or am I better off just learning the proper ratios and making gears/copper wiring/circuits etc.. etc.. as I need them for the more advanced recipes? I thought having some extra things on the main bus would make sense but its kind of a pain in the rear end and I'm not sure if single belts of these things would actually fulfill demand down the road.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dogstile posted:

Nah, i'm just ill right now. Factorio helps, keeps me distracted but I end up concentrating to hard and then its time for another nap.

I hadn't actually thought about a tree branch way of assembling, do you have a screenshot of what you mean? If I have space to add it, I'll give it a try. Hell, even if I don't have space I can always go liberate some more land.

Sorry about how messy it is, it was just a temporary setup for the early game, as I'm now in the process of dismantling everything and moving it south to a more spacious area. Basically my original setup was pretty bad: I had one belt for metal, one belt for gears, one belt for copper, one for electronic circuits and the final one for steel. Two belts snugged up right beside each other, followed by a 2 space gap, followed by another 2 belts. That's the best method as it gives you enough room to split items off the main belt and send it sideways to where it's needed.

FalloutGod posted:

I'm on my 2nd game with this being my first time using a main bus. I've planned it out so I have enough room for four iron and four copper. I've also added a single belt of coal, gears and copper wiring as well as green circuits. Are adding these extra things necessary or am I better off just learning the proper ratios and making gears/copper wiring/circuits etc.. etc.. as I need them for the more advanced recipes? I thought having some extra things on the main bus would make sense but its kind of a pain in the rear end and I'm not sure if single belts of these things would actually fulfill demand down the road.

I personally don't think the extra things are necessary. I realised from my messing around with buses that it's far simpler keeping it to the main stuff: metal and copper and steel. I will also have one belt for green circuits purely based on the fact they're used ubiquitously. I figured it was more efficient just having the metal pulled off to the side and gears made for each pair of assemblers that needed them, instead of having another entire belt just full of gears. Also, why would you need a coal belt?

You can see in my pic I had a dedicated line for making gears but I really didn't like it. For my new bus layout, I'm just going to stick cable / gear assemblers directly behind the assemblers that need that material. It's far more efficient and you don't need massively wide bus systems to accommodate the gear / cable belts.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 30, 2016

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm super addicted to this game.

Currently quite far into my first factory, playing co-op with a buddy, and we're really struggling because we have absolutely no oil anywhere near us (literally 7 nodes available, all run down to 0.1/s) so plastic production is pitiful and red/blue circuits just aren't happening.

How far out is it normal to have to go to find oil fields? Is the 10 crude per second needed to keep 5 refineries fed even remotely achievable?

Also, how far out does radar scan, and will it keep scanning outwards forever or does it only ever discover tiles within a certain radius of itself?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm super addicted to this game.

Currently quite far into my first factory, playing co-op with a buddy, and we're really struggling because we have absolutely no oil anywhere near us (literally 7 nodes available, all run down to 0.1/s) so plastic production is pitiful and red/blue circuits just aren't happening.

How far out is it normal to have to go to find oil fields? Is the 10 crude per second needed to keep 5 refineries fed even remotely achievable?

Also, how far out does radar scan, and will it keep scanning outwards forever or does it only ever discover tiles within a certain radius of itself?

Oil's a bitch, but once you've got a fair few 0.1/s pumpjacks set up, they'll eventually fill storage tanks to 2.5k crude oil. I have a tonne of oil outposts that I leave filling two storage tanks, and then when my train pulls up to the station after 30 mins, it'll come back with a few thousand oil. Means as long as I leave enough time between outpost visits, I can keep my base supplied with lots of oil.

Oil fields tend to spawn pretty far out, so you'll be searching far for them. Usually you should have a decent stock of oil stored in your base, my base always has a resting stock of 2.5k which I don't tend to dip under because it's constantly being filled.

Radar will scan a 7x7 chunk on the map (to give you an idea of how big this is, run off into an area without a radar and the zone you reveal on the map is a 5x5 chunk). They don't scan outwards forever. It just discovers tiles within a certain radius, and then it'll re-scan the same radius to find if any new biter nests have spawned.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Once you get speed modules, that turns into 0.3/sec even for depleted oil spots, so your 7 oil patches would be able to keep one refinery running at full clip, with a little bit left over. Which translates to about 1.5 plastic/second before using productivity modules to stretch it, which isn't amazing but will keep you going.

Oil is definitely a major bottleneck though. You usually want to stick productivity modules in your refineries/chemical plants (and your wells before they're depleted, to maximize their lifespan), switch over to advanced oil processing ASAP (because that gives you more petroleum-equivalent for each unit of crude), and stay away from solid fuel if you have sufficient coal to use instead.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 30, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ratzap posted:

I think the Soviets have won this game. No way can the Allies hold off all those Tesla and Heavy tanks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Being near the lake seems like a trap, since there are no trees to suck up pollution in that direction. Once you're set up, you could probably carve a path through that small base on the left side to get inland. Or push through that tiny base to the north.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Node posted:

I think the Soviets have won this game. No way can the Allies hold off all those Tesla and Heavy tanks.

All the trees are mirage tanks :getin:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Early game in that mod seems like it'd be so mind numbingly boring. Late game would be fun as hell though, once you've got an army of construction bots to tear down the Amazon rainforest. Biters are super dense though, you'll be facing massive swarms.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

lohli posted:

All the trees are mirage tanks :getin:

A combination of Factorio and RA2 would be absolutely awesome.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Jabor posted:

Being near the lake seems like a trap, since there are no trees to suck up pollution in that direction. Once you're set up, you could probably carve a path through that small base on the left side to get inland. Or push through that tiny base to the north.

Water absorbs pollution really well iirc

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

memy posted:

Water absorbs pollution really well iirc

It's a little better than clear land, but you only need 6 trees on a chunk before the land is absorbing more pollution than the water, and there looks like a lot more than 6 trees per chunk there.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
How many red circuit assemblers do you all end up making? They're used everywhere, but man do they take so many resources to make. Or is that the kind of thing you just make locally and don't worry about shipping around your factory?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Solumin posted:

How many red circuit assemblers do you all end up making? They're used everywhere, but man do they take so many resources to make. Or is that the kind of thing you just make locally and don't worry about shipping around your factory?

Last time I had like 20 running full bore, drinking green circuits and plastic and exhaling red circuits.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

There's a mod for that, although I don't recall what it's called.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How the hell do you put water into assembly machines?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

dogstile posted:

How the hell do you put water into assembly machines?

Set the recipe and it'll give you a little arrow on the side to connect the pipe. Mouse over it and press R to rotate it around.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Pipe it in. When you select a recipe that requires water, there will be a blue arrow that shows up when you mouse over the assembler (or will always be there with alt information turned on) and that's where you run a water pipe. You can rotate the assember with the R key to move that pipe connection.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
... Oh, that's really simple. My bad

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Solumin posted:

The problem with this kind of question is scale. I have about 100 total red circuit assemblers, but I've gone with both methods. One set is for logistics bots to shuffle around for smaller-produced items, while I've got dedicated assemblers for speed modules and Processing Units.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

CanOfMDAmp posted:

The problem with this kind of question is scale. I have about 100 total red circuit assemblers

When I read things like this, and then look at my grand total of two assemblers making fast inserters, I ask myself if I am playing the game wrong.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Node posted:

When I read things like this, and then look at my grand total of two assemblers making fast inserters, I ask myself if I am playing the game wrong.

Two assemblers making fast inserters is perfectly fine. Inserters are really, really quick to make, so why would you want 100 assemblers churning them out? Red circuits take loving eons to finish though.

PS: What I'm trying to say is you're doing fine and as long as your happy with your factory, it don't matter none how shiny other factories are, cause they're not your own.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Node posted:

Inserters are quick to make and have very limited use as an ingredient so you don't really need a lot of them.

The base build time on red circuits is something like 12 seconds which makes about 20x slower to make than most other components.