Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lol just imagine the poor fucker who tries to read homestuck from the beginning, in 2016

It's written for the archives, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Unlucky7 posted:

I need a new av.

Me too actually.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
You don't have to binge read it you know.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Homestuck is really good and probably one of the most important webcomics of the decade in terms of its impact and use of the digital medium and I'm glad it's back.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
homestucks no pokey the penguin

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Empress Theonora posted:

Schlock Mercenary is really good and probably one of the most important webcomics of the decade in terms of its impact and use of the digital medium and I'm glad it's still going.

ftfy

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
schlock mercenary has good things you can say about it but innovative or influential are not applicable words imo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ultimate point in Homestuck's favor

We wouldn't have Kill 6 Billion Demons without it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

explain? im curious

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I have no idea what's going on in the last page of today's Poppy but second to last panel: :vince:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Is Homestuck really not done? I decided a few years ago that I was going to stop reading and wait to marathon the rest after it was all finished, and they're still roughly at the same place I left off at? I'm not even sure what Hussie has been doing these days; it feels like the constant drawn-out pauses killed Homestuck's popularity and momentum.

While I'm on impenetrable comics constantly on the verge of ending, what's up with Sluggy Freelance?

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 29, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

Is Homestuck really not done? I decided a few years ago that I was going to stop reading and wait to marathon the rest after it was all finished, and they're still roughly at the same place I left off at? I'm not even sure what Hussie has been doing these days; it feels like the constant drawn-out pauses killed Homestuck's popularity and momentum.

Basically, the spin-off game's development has been a big mess and he took like a year off to work on it and it's still not done. And, yeah, sadly, it did kill a lot of momentum.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah but what is

except maybe Elftor (which apparently only survivesen francais?)

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have no idea what's going on in the last page of today's Poppy but second to last panel: :vince:

it took me a second reading hours later but last panel's an onomatopoeia with a terminal case of anime lines

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

He's been trying to salvage a disastrously mismanaged and ill-fated Kickstarter game, for the most part (the original dev team snatched all the money and dumped it into another project, with no legal recourse).

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

fun hater posted:

explain? im curious

I'm saying literally any other longform webcomic is better imo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

He's been trying to salvage a disastrously mismanaged and ill-fated Kickstarter game, for the most part (the original dev team snatched all the money and dumped it into another project, with no legal recourse).

On the plus side, he locked his music director in the basement and got Undertale out of it, so clearly something went right.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just Offscreen posted:

I'm saying literally any other longform webcomic is better imo.

that statement only addresses like a third of your claim though dude

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tunicate posted:

On the plus side, he locked his music director in the basement and got Undertale out of it, so clearly something went right.

The dog absorbed his fanbase.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's okay, it was useless anyway

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

The dog absorbed his fanbase.

It amuses me that thanks to the internet there's this directly traceable migrating blob of awful fans.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mycot posted:

It amuses me that thanks to the internet there's this directly traceable migrating blob of awful fans.

They're called "teenagers," mostly.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tollymain posted:

schlock mercenary has good things you can say about it but innovative or influential are not applicable words imo

Schlock mercenary is a comic strip by a guy who sincerely wishes he wrote David Drake's entirely forgettable Hammer's Slammers series of sci fi novels and milked that loving cow for over 15 years retreading plot points from said work. A couple of years ago he figured out dodge/burn shading in photoshop. That is the extent of his accomplishments.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't get me wrong, i've nothing against schlock mercenary

consistent quantity is a quality in itself

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Howard Taylor, the Stalin of webcomic artists

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do i embed webms

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

how do i embed webms

Just stick them between Url tags.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Haha he said wee bums

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeJF posted:

Just stick them between Url tags.

i could have sworn i've seen people embed them here on sa

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

i could have sworn i've seen people embed them here on sa

Yeah, it'll embed if you put them in URL tags.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
neo-kosmos updated the other day. somehow i rarely find out shortly after it goes up; i guess i should check twitter and tumblr more often

http://i.imgur.com/FL432kI.webm

tye u ok

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I am glad that Dick Stepmom in Poppy finally had something said to her.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Tollymain posted:

neo-kosmos updated the other day. somehow i rarely find out shortly after it goes up; i guess i should check twitter and tumblr more often

http://i.imgur.com/FL432kI.webm

tye u ok

This comic is like 50% superfluous panels.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

I updated my comic with a new chapter.

http://theauroracycle.com/

It's short, but has a flash text adventure game with some neat music.

Somehow I actually have a few readers now, which is better than none.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Pavlov posted:

This comic is like 50% superfluous panels.

If the author is going to crib from Homestuck, the least they could do is cut the comic's length in half and turn some of these 10-page sequences where nothing happens into some loving gifs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iirc the comic is basically a glorified storyboard, deliberately? idk that it's a good design choice but so far i don't mind it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Tollymain posted:

iirc the comic is basically a glorified storyboard, deliberately? idk that it's a good design choice but so far i don't mind it

One of the two authors is a storyboard revisionist for SU so yeah

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's the same issue i had with ava's demon in that it's distracting from the pacing the panels are trying to set when you're mashing 'next' over and over and the page doesn't always load smoothly or instantly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It isn't an approach I prefer because it suggests to me that the author wishes it were animated instead.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got my copy of Monster Pulse v2 from the Kickstarter today. Didn't realize it was going to be so small compared to volume 1. Volume 1 is 8.5" x 11.75". V2 is 5"x7".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

They're called "goons," mostly.

• Locked thread