Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Everybody throwin shade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Time to get brutually owned

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

That's a serious loving walk of shame.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh Jesus :cripes:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
You know Marcia Clark wants to kill Furman.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mooseontheloose posted:

You know Marcia Clark wants to kill Furman.
Doesn't everyone?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its been a long time since I took law classes, but isn't the non-answer to the last question useless testimony because silence can't be used as evidence?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sash! posted:

Its been a long time since I took law classes, but isn't the non-answer to the last question useless testimony because silence can't be used as evidence?

Yea but the whole point of asking the question was the implication. The defense can't use it as being indicative of anything. It's just a way to play to the jury, even if they're supposed to disregard it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finale next week?! Nooooooooooooo :negative:

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Sash! posted:

If I remember my law classes properly, at no point when someone pleads the fifth can the jury take it as an admission or denial. However, your jury is still human and it sure says a lot when you won't answer a question about something of which you've been accused (right or wrong).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mark Fuhrman works at Fox News now as a crime scene expert.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fuhrman's walk of shame was amazing, every single black person in the room was shooting hate lasers at him and Marcia Clark looked like she wanted to wilt up and die.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Mark Fuhrman works at Fox News now as a crime scene expert.

Fuhrman, Ollie North, any more escaped criminals paying the rent at :foxnews:?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
The acting in this show is just phenomenal, but this was particularly Vance's and Brown's episode. That 'circus' scene was gripping. That's the Emmy scene, right there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"You're standing in front of a statute of a confederate soldier from the civil war, I don't you play as well in dixie"

edit: What makes this show so great is that you feel sorry for literally everyone in this show (apart from OJ) at one point or another.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 30, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That walk of shame up to the answer to the last question is simply phenomenal television

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The Fuhrman stuff is going to be incredible.

Okay. I retract my previous post and say this is the highest peak of this show. Holy poo poo. :munch:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TOOT BOOT posted:

I read the next season is going to be about the aftermath of Katrina? Like, why? I'm sure there are a dozen criminal cases they could choose from that would be more interesting.

Chris Kyle on the roof of the super dome head shotting niggerslooters?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That courtroom scene where Clark says should i remove my watch... My god what a great group of actors.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

AAA DOLFAN posted:

That courtroom scene where Clark says should i remove my watch... My god what a great group of actors.

I actually didn't understand that line, could someone explain?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

timp posted:

I assumed in preparation for being arrested for contempt?

MariusLecter posted:

Okay. I retract my previous post and say this is the highest peak of this show. Holy poo poo. :munch:

I didn't even know it was this bad. My mind was blown too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

timp posted:

You never seen someone take their watch off before a fistfight?

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I assumed in preparation for being arrested for contempt?

No jewelry or personal effects when you're booked for a crime so this is what I assumed too,

Also Judge Ito seems like a pretty huge tool.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 30, 2016

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Jesus Christ that episode was amazing. And Kardashian's body language and attitude while OJ was changing back in the prison jumper? Everyone is just nailing the poo poo in the performances on this show.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Vintimus Prime posted:

Jesus Christ that episode was amazing. And Kardashian's body language and attitude while OJ was changing back in the prison jumper? Everyone is just nailing the poo poo in the performances on this show.

OJ: Cochran is a genius, Fuhrman framed me! :woop:

Kardashian: *When will the nightmare end?*

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea but the whole point of asking the question was the implication. The defense can't use it as being indicative of anything. It's just a way to play to the jury, even if they're supposed to disregard it

How does the implication work, though, when the jury is not present to hear Fuhrman invoking the 5th amendment? I was previously under the assumption that this was done in front of the jury, but it wasn't. I get the whole "they'll find out after their first conjugal visit" aspect, but is there more to it than that?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's pretty amazing that in an episode that jam-packed full of greatness my favourite moment may be David Schwimmer's dejected and disillusioned "Yeah, it was a real success for the defense."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

It's pretty amazing that in an episode that jam-packed full of greatness my favourite moment may be David Schwimmer's dejected and disillusioned "Yeah, it was a real success for the defense."

Good way to convey too that Rob Kardashian went from OJs friend to just a lawyer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah this penultimate episode was fuckin incredible

I never knew about the fuhrman stuff but it's really hard arguing that a tape with a guy who openly confesses to planting evidence on black suspects literally because they are black isn't relevant, especially when he's the star witness and critically connected to the plurality of evidence the prosecution had

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
As this goes on, the most insane thing to me is how this didn't become a mistrial. The jury/alternates, the tapes, Ito's wife, all the media ... crazy.

Why was Furman such a star witness anyway? Because he found the blood and gloves? Beyond the fact that they exist, it's not like he heard OJ weeping "What did I do?," or anything.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

How does the implication work, though, when the jury is not present to hear Fuhrman invoking the 5th amendment? I was previously under the assumption that this was done in front of the jury, but it wasn't. I get the whole "they'll find out after their first conjugal visit" aspect, but is there more to it than that?

That portion was still being televised and Cochran wanted the nation to hear it as much as the jurors, squeezing every bit of implication possible out of the situation was still a win on that front even if it didn't directly impact the case.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

OmegaBR posted:

As this goes on, the most insane thing to me is how this didn't become a mistrial. The jury/alternates, the tapes, Ito's wife, all the media ... crazy.

Why was Furman such a star witness anyway? Because he found the blood and gloves? Beyond the fact that they exist, it's not like he heard OJ weeping "What did I do?," or anything.

From what I remember he was centrally connected to all the really damning evidence against OJ, at both the murder scene and behind the guest house where Kato lived

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What I don't understand is why Clark didn't look into Furhman's background more closely at the beginning before putting him on the stand. Especially considering Darden's concerns. Even if you think he's being hyperbolic, there was already a lot of smoke around the raging racist fire that is Det. Furhman.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

From what I remember he was centrally connected to all the really damning evidence against OJ, at both the murder scene and behind the guest house where Kato lived

Yeah, jumped the gate at Simpson's place and found the glove. I think the other two detectives saw it in its untouched state, but he's the one who initially discovered it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Because, again he was centrally connected to all of the evidence at both the murder scene and at OJs house, and had an ostensibly airtight alibi by constantly being in contact with other people at both crime scenes

The prosecution didn't need him but it looked a lot better if one guy was at the murder and found the blood in the bronco and the bloody glove behind Katos house and the blood leading into OJs

It made a throughline that made the story easier to tell and sell, instead of a whole bunch of different detectives that could be brought under fire for this or for that since literally everyone in the lapd was a racist corrupt piece of poo poo in the early 90s, instead leave it all on one guy who ended up everywhere anyways

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FlamingLiberal posted:

What I don't understand is why Clark didn't look into Furhman's background more closely at the beginning before putting him on the stand. Especially considering Darden's concerns. Even if you think he's being hyperbolic, there was already a lot of smoke around the raging racist fire that is Det. Furhman.

the prosecution/police incompetence is a central theme for this show/real life event

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DOOP posted:

the prosecution/police incompetence is a central theme for this show/real life event
True...some of it was purely getting greedy (see: the gloves). A lot of the rest was being completely unprepared for how the defense was going to successfully attack the forensics, both by going after the credibility of the evidence as well as the people who collected it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You know in the movies where the police captain is like "dammit, I don't like your methods but you get results!" and then doesn't bring the hero cop up for flagrant violations of police conduct/civil liberties? It seems like the LAPD/Marcia Clark is actually literally that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is a bit dumb, but I don't get the whole if-the-glove-don't-fit thing. Even looking at the actual footage, it still looks like the juice could have closed a fist onto a knife and gone stabby-stabby. Am I missing something?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is a bit dumb, but I don't get the whole if-the-glove-don't-fit thing. Even looking at the actual footage, it still looks like the juice could have closed a fist onto a knife and gone stabby-stabby. Am I missing something?

Well he could have worn those gloves but if you intended to murder someone with a knife would you wear gloves that were a size too small?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why would you own a pair of gloves too small for your hands

Remember that's the argument the prosecution made, that the gloves were owned by OJ and used to kill Nicole and Ron

So the natural counter becomes "OJ didn't own those gloves" since those gloves were MOST DEFINITELY owned by whoever killed Nicole and Ron, being covered in blood and DNA and stuff

And so if the gloves didn't fit, and the gloves were used to kill Nicole and Ron, then OJ didn't kill Nicole and Ron

• Locked thread