Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So what am I supposed to be doing with the bottom screen training thing in Y? It feels like it never ends. Are the stat boots permanent? Is it just something to dick around with while walking in grass or should it be taken seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

oddium posted:

well they put earthbound on the vc and that got a sequel

but the sequel came out before the vc...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nitramster posted:

So what am I supposed to be doing with the bottom screen training thing in Y? It feels like it never ends. Are the stat boots permanent? Is it just something to dick around with while walking in grass or should it be taken seriously?

You mean Super Training? Super Training bestows a number of EVs to the pokemon that does it, and also by completing a round you can gain items, some of which are not obtainable by other means. Do it if you find it fun.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nitramster posted:

Let me put it this way. If you have no idea what it's actually doing, it's not something you should worry about.

You will get more noticeable benefits from doing the nintendogs minigame instead.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Alright, which one of you is going to take Shedinja to 1v1s? I know at least one of you will try.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Ok OK I can see why people like competitive battling. That vgc screenshot where everybody had basically the same team just bummed me out :(

Yay pokemon snap!!!! Best rental ever.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Ok OK I can see why people like competitive battling. That vgc screenshot where everybody had basically the same team just bummed me out :(

That's because this year it was a format that kind of encourages that. Normally some of the Pokemon you saw on those teams are banned because they're too powerful and centralizes the metagame.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

And they're doing that because they're in "gently caress it, Gen 6 is over, might as well go out with a bang" mode.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Yay pokemon snap!!!! Best rental ever.

That's because VGC doubles is for people with brain problems

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-351873128

This was utterly stupid all the way through on both sides.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Ometeotl posted:

Now this, this I can get behind

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Ometeotl posted:

Guy on the right seemed to do ok. As far as I have been handed a victory goes.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 30, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Heatran was a mistake.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ometeotl posted:

I cracked up when that Malamar did its thing. That was loving beautiful.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's because this year it was a format that kind of encourages that. Normally some of the Pokemon you saw on those teams are banned because they're too powerful and centralizes the metagame.

last year was cresselia / heatran / amoonguss / landorus-t / kangaskhan / thunderus

good pokemon are good

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

qnqnx posted:

this guy is easily distracted with youtube videos about cats

I'm a "gal" actually

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 30, 2016

Hanzo Steel
Nov 22, 2008

Ice_Mallet posted:

Alright, which one of you is going to take Shedinja to 1v1s? I know at least one of you will try.

I was gonna do shedinja in the sixth slot, zoroark and poliwrath or carracosta and try to give people stress headaches.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Strategy question for someone just getting into competitive battling: How on earth can you counter that Combusken spamming protect during the first few rounds and lapping up the speed boosts?

Not that it made much difference in the end, but it seems really frustrating to deal with.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 30, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Strategy question for someone just getting into competitive battling: How on earth can you counter that Combusken spamming protect during the first few rounds and lapping up the speed boosts?

Not that it made much difference in the end, but it seems really frustrating to deal with.
There's a reason that Blaziken is banned to Ubers in singles.

You kinda need to use Priority moves or a revenge killer like Scarfed Imposter Ditto.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Can someone explain the best way to set up Spikes on a flield, and how people are doing it where the opponent lands and loses 40% of their health right out the gate?

Are they using a combo of Spikes + Stealth Rock, or just reusing Spikes twice in a row to get that kind of setup damage?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Parrotine posted:

Can someone explain the best way to set up Spikes on a flield, and how people are doing it where the opponent lands and loses 40% of their health right out the gate?

Are they using a combo of Spikes + Stealth Rock, or just reusing Spikes twice in a row to get that kind of setup damage?

Spikes stacks up to three times, for a total of 25% damage. Stealth rock at 1x adds 12.5% to that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Parrotine posted:

Basically, you need to do it with someone bulky. Skarmory is a good choice, though my Skarmory runs Stealth Rock instead of Spikes. I prefer only having to set up a hazard once, and done. Skarmory is good for the role because not only is it bulky, it also has Roost. Also Sturdy, meaning it can probably get off at least one hazard. And it can Whirlwind away potential counters.

But yeah basically it takes planning.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Oh snap, I totally have a Skarmory with Spikes on it. I could have used Taunt + Spikes this entire time at the Battle Mansion :aaaaa:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Parrotine posted:

Oh snap, I totally have a Skarmory with Spikes on it. I could have used Taunt + Spikes this entire time at the Battle Mansion :aaaaa:

Don't do anything but attack during the Maison.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've had really good luck in the Maison with stealth rock and dragon tail on a rough skin/rocky helmet Garchomp. Usually with Mega Blaziken when Garchomp goes and a special attacker just in case

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Did using the wrong greninja set teach you nothing

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Heatran was a mistake.

Heatran did nothing wrong.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Parrotine posted:

Stop. Do not waste time using entry hazards in the Maison. It will only affect 2 pokemon max in Singles and 3 pokemon max in triples.

Entry hazards are only usable on players since they switch more often and rely on switching.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Riding in circles around the battle resort has become my new meditation device. Kinda like when those Buddhist monks make intricate designs by endlessly pushing around colored sand

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

I've preached about him before, but bulky Crobat is such a useful support mon. Switch him in on one of those Protects, then use Haze as it doesn't care about either Substitute or Baton Pass. Throw in Taunt and Defog, and Crobat can take care of a lot of situations. Anything that nullifies multiple turns from your opponent is a net gain.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

You switch in anything because it's a loving combusken

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Silver Falcon posted:

I cracked up when that Malamar did its thing. That was loving beautiful.

Nobody expects that frail little squid.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ice_Mallet posted:

Stop. Do not waste time using entry hazards in the Maison. It will only affect 2 pokemon max in Singles and 3 pokemon max in triples.

Entry hazards are only usable on players since they switch more often and rely on switching.

Yeah I learned this the hard way today when it ended my 50+ win streak

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

If you need to use hazards on the mansion, which you really shouldn't, I'd say just use rocks to break sash and study.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Multiscale Dragonite seems like a really good Pokemon for that 1v1 competition. Does Dragonite learn anything that hits Fairy type for SE? Slap a choice band on it and 2hko everything with Outrage or Earthquake vs steel types or whatever, and you can tank a hit with Multiscale.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Iron Head and Iron Tail I believe are the only two.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Iron Head and Iron Tail I believe are the only two.

Iron head is probably enough to 2HKO every fairy type with a choice band slapped on. Outrage, Iron Head, Earthquake, and probably Fire Blast for Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scizor, and you can probably beat most things 1v1. There's bound to be things that could beat it, a fast and powerful ice type, or something that can status it and stall it, but just having something like Dragonite or Salamence on your team for this could get a lot of easy wins.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It can also learn Steel Wing but Iron Head is better anyway.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

You'd be better off with fire punch since your banded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PSWII60 posted:

You'd be better off with fire punch since your banded.

yeah let's take battling advice from this guy

PSWII60 posted:

My greatest breeding regret is making my Pangoro Adamant instead of Jolly, would love to use scarf Parting Shot effectively.

• Locked thread