Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

When I played a Goblin bard in Pathfinder, my go-to song was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjQHeQH5eY

Holy poo poo. If my Dark Elf bard was skilled in drums, I'd steal that in an instant.

404notfound posted:

I have a list of insults from movies that I roll to select whenever I use Vicious Mockery :buddy:

I'm currently using the windmill song from Ocarina of Time that's doubling for Vicious Mockery and Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Might make the Lost Woods theme be used for Tasha's Hideous Laughter. I'm still undecided what to use for Bane and Shatter, and I'm wanting to keep to the Legend of Zelda songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The bard in my party interrupts and uses his Cutting Words feature as follows:
"HEY hey hey wait a second!
... Your MOTHER!
Continue."

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
My Warforged Bard played various midis based on Japanese Super Robots and Superheroes. Since he was a Valor Bard who carried a sword and shield, I flavored it as speakers that would open up on his body.

Shatter unleashed the full potential of his sound.

It was fun to use the psychic powers to literally blow people's minds. Or use Trance on a mob and flavor it as transforming a 30 ft block into a super-intense Electronica dance floor.

We really should just retitle the thread to Just Play a Bard.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Mecha Gojira posted:

My Warforged Bard played various midis based on Japanese Super Robots and Superheroes. Since he was a Valor Bard who carried a sword and shield, I flavored it as speakers that would open up on his body.

Shatter unleashed the full potential of his sound.

It was fun to use the psychic powers to literally blow people's minds. Or use Trance on a mob and flavor it as transforming a 30 ft block into a super-intense Electronica dance floor.

We really should just retitle the thread to Just Play a Bard.

Dungeons & Dragons 5e: The Musical

I'm going along the College of Lore so I can be better background party, and get some more spell songs. There are already 2 meatheads in my party on the front lines, as well as a ranger who wanders off as often as the wind blows, so the more psychic damage or party support the better. Also, I'm proficient in hand crossbows, so I don't have to be in front.

If I can find a good clip of it, the ReDead scream would be a great sound for Shatter or Cutting Words.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I kinda had to be party meathead since everyone else was either going some weird unoptomized build like fighter/wizard or monk/Sorcerer or just playing a spellcaster like the Warlock. Somebody had to be able to take a hit.

Ironically, as the Valor Bard, I spent most of my time ending encounters on the back line with the warlock while the monk/sorc and fighter/wizard got their poo poo kicked in for the first round (until I found out that Initiative is a dex skill roll or some bullshit and got additional bonuses from Bard so that I could end encounters as soon as they started).

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My party just sailed into a new town and while waiting for their ship to be repaired want to go on a few side quests. I want to make them take an "adventurer's license exam" before the local guild will give them jobs. It also seems like a neat idea to get players to think more about their character's backstory and personality. Some that I have so far:

Please list any relevant education and certifications.

Please list any and all memberships in guilds and other professional organizations.

Have you ever been charged with a misdemeanor or felony? If yes, please state the charges and adjudication.

Have you now or ever been part of, pledged allegiance to, participated in, or joined any group, organization, cult, or assembly who's purpose included in whole or in part the overthrow of the King and usurpation of the King's rightful law, or other acts of sedition against the realm?

Are you a veteran? If yes, please state your discharge rank and whether the discharge was honorable.

Do you hold any patents of nobility? If yes please list them.

Are you or have you been a member of any chivalric order? If yes please list them and your membership dates.

Describe your greatest weakness as an adventurer and a time you overcame it?

What is your greatest quality as an adventurer?

The chest you just opened is a mimic, an owlbear is about to attack you from behind, and 300ft. away a hobgoblin sniper is about to shoot you with a crossbow from the third story of a keep. What do you do first and why?

A little girl has lost her cat, a farmhand has gone missing after receiving an unexpected package, and strange graffiti has appeared in the market. What do you investigate first and why?

You are delving into a forgotten dungeon. You can only bring three extra items, what do you bring and why?

Does anyone have any other questions for the list? The more ridiculous the better.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You are stuck in a wooden room with no visible exit. How do you get out?

You are alone in the woods and hear a disembodied voice in your head. How do you react?

An elf, a gnome, and a half-orc walk into a bar. Which do you murder first?

Ask the attendant for a die. With their assistance, roll it and record the result.

What was the first food you remember hating? When did you realize this?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Miz Kriss posted:

Does anyone else playing a Bard create a playlist of songs to associate with their spells, or am I just taking my role a bit too seriously? I'm finding that Legend of Zelda songs work best, in case you were wondering.

My brother used those radio DJ soundboard app things on his phone. Things like the whoopee cushion sound effect, air horns, and JOHN CENA!!!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm not sure how you'd word it, but definitely include something in there about dealing with/avoiding cursed items.

Just last session my cleric had to lop off the hands of two different party members due to the corrosive influence of cursed trinkets they'd picked up previously. One of them lost both hands and is currently spending an eternity getting digested by a kraken.

Cursed items: not even once.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm not sure how you'd word it, but definitely include something in there about dealing with/avoiding cursed items.

Just last session my cleric had to lop off the hands of two different party members due to the corrosive influence of cursed trinkets they'd picked up previously. One of them lost both hands and is currently spending an eternity getting digested by a kraken.

Cursed items: not even once.

Their last campaign was stealing a mummy's sacred gem from a ziggurat. Turns out it was super cursed and for actually unrelated reasons ended in a total party wipe. This campaign is about a different group of adventurers hired to take the cursed artifact to a temple for proper disposal.

Which of the following, if any, are appropriate ways to handle an unknown magical artifact?
A: Bring it to a temple or mage college where a hazmat certified royal investigator can examine it.
B: Use an Identify spell.
C: Follow the advice of the voices which started talking to you the moment you discovered it.
D: Lick it to claim it as your own.

e: When someone asks you if you're a god what do you say?

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 29, 2016

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does anyone have any other questions for the list? The more ridiculous the better.

To date, how many of your parents or parental figures have been slain, and on whom do you swear revenge for their deaths?

Who among your current party would you attack first if charmed, possessed and/or dominated, and why?

Please arrange the following magical items in order from most to least likely to be cursed:
A. A pair of boots
B. A cloak
C. A shield
D. A necklace
E. A large gem
F. A dagger

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 29, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
edfbca duh, boots are even notable for how many aren't cursed. No one wishes a curse on some boots.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Razorwired posted:

If you wanted to just say "I cast Shatter :geno:" you should have been a Wizard.
Make up a list of words that they can fit together to cast their poo poo Ultima V style.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Like 90% of amulets are amulets of strangulation.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Piell posted:

Like 90% of amulets are amulets of strangulation.

That's because they had the working on the auto-erotic asphyxiation necklaces and he mad them a bit to strong.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

You should have a section of the groggiest questions, multiple choice with no good answer.

18. After clearing out a fortress full of foul orcs, you encounter an orc nursery full of adorable cooing orc infants.
A. Kill them immediately.
B. Keep then in your bags to use as thrown weapons if you encounter further orcs.
C. Raise them until they are toddlers and then kill them immediately.

19. While waiting for adventure in a tavern, you notice a quiet man sitting alone. He poses no threat and is nursing a drink. He radiates evil under a detection spell.
A. Kill him immediately.
B. Lure him outside and kill him there.
C. Tell the town guards.
D. Throw orc babies at him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

You should have a section of the groggiest questions, multiple choice with no good answer.

18. After clearing out a fortress full of foul orcs, you encounter an orc nursery full of adorable cooing orc infants.
A. Kill them immediately.
B. Keep then in your bags to use as thrown weapons if you encounter further orcs.
C. Raise them until they are toddlers and then kill them immediately.

19. While waiting for adventure in a tavern, you notice a quiet man sitting alone. He poses no threat and is nursing a drink. He radiates evil under a detection spell.
A. Kill him immediately.
B. Lure him outside and kill him there.
C. Tell the town guards.
D. Throw orc babies at him.

20. What polearm can be thrust like a spear, but still has a convex knife-blade to let it cut as a knife?

A. Fauchard
B. Guisarme
C. Glaive
D. Voulge

The correct answer is: C. Glaive

21. You trip, fall, and lose your bearings. What do you recover first?

A. Your shield
B. Your crossbow
C. Your holy symbol
D. Your spellbook

The correct answer is: You didn't say you lit a torch, so you don't see anything!

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Fallorn posted:

That's because they had the working on the auto-erotic asphyxiation necklaces and he mad them a bit to strong.

"You put the amulet on and it starts to choke you, but, like, not too much ;-)"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

gradenko_2000 posted:

21. You trip, fall, and lose your bearings. What do you recover first?

A. Your shield
B. Your crossbow
C. Your holy symbol
D. Your spellbook

The correct answer is: You didn't say you lit a torch, so you don't see anything!

My bearings. Duh. I don't need anything else I punch things for a living.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

LFK posted:

"You put the amulet on and it starts to choke you, but, like, not too much ;-)"

I've heard of command words, but hopefully it has a safe word.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thespaceinvader posted:

My bearings. Duh. I don't need anything else I punch things for a living.
What if your bearings are what you tripped on?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Splicer posted:

What if your bearings are what you tripped on?

Then I have clearly dropped them and I need to pick them up. Or drop them in a better place so the monsters trip on them instead.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The player is a human man playing a half dark elf woman. Not a terribly uncommon scenario.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

The player is a human man playing a half dark elf woman. Not a terribly uncommon scenario.

Oh so one of your players characters is a front woman in a metal band.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Health and Fitness portion of the form
  • Have you ever died before? If so, please list your date(s) of death and resurrection below.

• Are you currently suffering from any diseases, curses, poisoning, or level drain? If so, please list the afflictions (and their sources, if possible) below.

• If you have been subjected to Polymorph, Reincarnate, Possession, or otherwise are currently inhabiting a body not your own, please describe your original form below.

• Please list who is to be contacted in the event of an emergency, medical or otherwise. Please organize your emergency contacts in the following fashion: Current party members, followed by family, spouses, and children, followed by friends, allies, and compatriots, followed by animal companions and familiars.

• Our on-staff clerical assistance is provided by the Temple of [Local God]. If you have religious or philosophical objections to their beliefs and would prefer not to be healed by them, or suffer an allergic reaction to Positive Energy (Tomb-Taint, Dhampirism, Crucimigration), please indicate so below.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

They obviously need to prove that they have planned a fund for the healing, restoration, resurrection, regrowing of limbs etc, and retirement through age or disability for all party members, henchmen, hirelings, hangers-on, camp-followers, porters, spear-carriers, scroll caddies etc, and another to deal with damage or injury to third parties by the adventuring party. The Guild can hold that money in trust for a very reasonable fee, and in fact invest it, expecting a growth of around 2% per quarter. 20% of treasure taken is generally considered appropriate for each fund, although obviously wise adventurers (Wisdom check, DC20) will invest as much as they can.

e: You can pretty easily get away with faking this, but you won't believe how much trouble you'll be in if a henchman or hireling gets injured or killed and the obligatory investigation and audit turns up the fact that you don't have the funds you said you did - even if you can pay for their raising.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 30, 2016

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Speaking of metal bands, my group has wanted to do some sort of gimmick for our Strahd campaign. All druids (bearswarm), all the wizard schools, whatever. We settled on metal band. :black101:

found a mini for my guy -

Reaper was awesome. Ordered it last friday at normal rates and it was delivered monday morning.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ritorix posted:

Speaking of metal bands, my group has wanted to do some sort of gimmick for our Strahd campaign. All druids (bearswarm), all the wizard schools, whatever. We settled on metal band. :black101:

Reaper was awesome. Ordered it last friday at normal rates and it was delivered monday morning.

I did heavy metal bard for a Strahd campaign. It was tons of fun. Right now a couple of us want to do a gimmick run where we'll all lawful stupid paladins.

Thanks everyone for the assistance with questions. I'll post the finished exam here in a few days.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

ritorix posted:

I think my group is going with "Golden Age" WWF theme and part of me thinks that's super dumb but I know we'll be the cream of the crop.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Zereth posted:

Oh so one of your players characters is a front woman in a metal band.

This was also my confusion.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Kaysette posted:

I think my group is going with "Golden Age" WWF theme and part of me thinks that's super dumb but I know we'll be the cream of the crop.

That would just end up starting a huge fight over which one of you gets to be Macho Man, or alternately a party comprised of nothing but Macho Men.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

That would just end up starting a huge fight over which one of you gets to be Macho Man, or alternately a party comprised of nothing but Macho Men.

There's plenty of great characters from that time. Brutus the Barber Beefcake, Ultimate Warrior, Andre, Hulk Hogan, Mr Perfect etc.

Macho Man is definitely one of the best though. He should be the party bard.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How do sorcerers measure up against wizards this time around. Is it still All Wizard All The Time?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DJ Dizzy posted:

How do sorcerers measure up against wizards

I heard that theyre, you know, 'not blessed by the gods/goddesses of love'. Thats why theyre all I HAVE DRAGON BLOOD and I KNOW DEMONS to feel better about themselves.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

DJ Dizzy posted:

How do sorcerers measure up against wizards this time around. Is it still All Wizard All The Time?

I dunno but "Wild Mage" is a sorcerer path and somebody made a list of 10,000 random magical effects for wild magic surges. So, there's that.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

A wizard is a Swiss army knife and a sorcerer is two rusty shanks.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

A party comprised of nothing but Macho Men.

This is my ideal table.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Razorwired posted:

This is my ideal table.

Just wait until they can true polymorph / shapechange.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Hey, me and some buddies are getting together our first ever d&d game. Were gonna try out a quick little campaign and then try something bigger. We've been kicking around an idea for a half monk and cleric class like a luchador with high grapple skills and my mask is my holy symbol. This sound kinda dumb or awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sounds like a good time to me.