Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

It was capacity, not rate sorry.

I'd actually be in favor of this the 100 kilo limit is stupid, it just turns power tracks into an economy run where in Monaco you can turn the engine up to max and its still impossible to overtake. The fuel flow limit is a better approach to limiting fuel and more applicable to hybrid technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's biased because I'm fond of very fast circuits.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It would also eliminate this lift and coast horseshit.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It would be nice if there was an actual danger of running out of fuel. But I'm sure in this modern era that would be extremely unlikely.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Serious question: why hasn't someone called Gene Haas "Boss Haas" yet?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

It would be nice if there was an actual danger of running out of fuel. But I'm sure in this modern era that would be extremely unlikely.

Hell at this point I'd half expect the race engineer to tell them to pull over because there's only the one liter for FIA testing left rather than risk running out of fuel. Nobody is going to risk running under that one liter since you get disqualified from results, I really don't understand why the FIA just say "hand the fuel over to us, we'll test it and seal the gas tank and we have to watch you put anything into that tank".

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Serious question: why hasn't someone called Gene Haas "Boss Haas" yet?

Because he is from northeast ohio, not the south? You can tell because of his quiet modesty, only found in this hemisphere in North ohio, Canada and North Dakota.

(just ignore the year and change in jail he did recently).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

learnincurve posted:

I don't remember anyone saying what a wonderful track it (e:Silverstone) was even back in the 80s, the point of old Silverstone was that you could get ludicrously close to the track in the cheap seats/grass areas with no security fencing, the public transport links are good from anywhere in the country, and if you are driving it's just off the M1 so everyone can avoid god drat Birmingham. Much as I love brands hatch it was always way too far south to be viable.

I used to live a 20 minute drive away from Brands. Kicked myself for never getting there in my youth.

Now I live a 20 minute drive away from Silverstone and I still haven't whipped up enough enthusiasm to get there for anything other than the occasional half marathon. Mostly because of ticket prices for the F1 but that's no excuse, there's plenty of other racing series I could get my backside to. But traffic.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot about the 1L testing thing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

the sexy formula one we all want

MattD1zzl3 posted:

engines blowing every other race

lol no

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I forgot about the 1L testing thing.

It's incredibly stupid and very blatantly for the FIA's convenience versus actually governing the rules.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

attrition owns

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

attrition owns

fair point, but if i could provide a counter-argument: it actually does not own, and is in fact bad

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

attrition owns

It shakes up the results which is always good. More retirements please.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 30, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

fair point, but if i could provide a counter-argument: it actually does not own, and is in fact bad

The Manufacturers would agree, and would probably do everything to limit it (unless you are Honda Motor Co. :lol:).

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 30, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

enri posted:

Now I live a 20 minute drive away from Silverstone and I still haven't whipped up enough enthusiasm to get there for anything other than the occasional half marathon.

Allow me to enable you - This weekend it's the first Hankook 24H Silverstone and it's going to be awesome. (and I can't go :( )

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/24hr-at-silverstone/ Daily price £10, three day £25.

Compare and contrast with the F1.

Free Infield Parking
Free Paddock Access to ALL support races and access to the 24 Hour paddock
Roving access to all general admission areas
Free grid walk
Live music
Opportunity to take away used Hankook tyres
Grandstand access - National Pits Straight and Woodcote A*
Marching band to open to grid
Children 15 & under can attend the event for free

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve posted:

Allow me to enable you - This weekend it's the first Hankook 24H Silverstone and it's going to be awesome. (and I can't go :( )

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/24hr-at-silverstone/ Daily price £10, three day £25.

Compare and contrast with the F1.

Free Infield Parking
Free Paddock Access to ALL support races and access to the 24 Hour paddock
Roving access to all general admission areas
Free grid walk
Live music
Opportunity to take away used Hankook tyres
Grandstand access - National Pits Straight and Woodcote A*
Marching band to open to grid
Children 15 & under can attend the event for free

The best drivers in the world (and Rosberg and Vettel)
vs
A bunch of guys you've never heard of who drive like your mam

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Night racing at Silverstone though.

I don't know about your mam, and I know I've mentioned this before, but mine could legitimately have been a f1 driver. I won't bore you with all the details but she was offered a F1 contract by Bruce McLaren in 1970 but my granddad made her say no. "best driver in the world has never got in a F1 car" and all that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Your granddad is the worst granddad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Made it as far as Spain in 2006 before I realized Sauber was on the grid that year lol.

Edit: Just realized they were the BMW factory team which makes alot more sense now.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

El Hefe posted:

Brands Hatch is so good though and F1 is never going back there, such a shame.

My favorite track of all time. It truly is glorious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Vote Dizzle for new bernie 2016. Make formula 1 great again!

But I don't want to build a wall to keep the Mexican GP off the calendar, even if they pay for it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Paddock hill bend is insanely ftw, every time I've been somebody has always had a massive off into it, once when I came out of the pits a 944 went past me straight into the gravel showering me with the stuff got the session red flagged and then they decided to shut up shop for the day. The next time some twat in a Ford Puma rolled it about 10 minutes into the day, few others i forget.

I've been lucky as I only ever had a couple of spins at graham hill (too much speed on a cold track on cold tyres) and Clark curve (constantly trying to boot it over a damp patch instead of using the wet line)

Only problem is most TDO's run the indy circuit which can get pretty crowded and days for the GP one are double the cost.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

enri posted:

I used to live a 20 minute drive away from Brands. Kicked myself for never getting there in my youth.

Now I live a 20 minute drive away from Silverstone and I still haven't whipped up enough enthusiasm to get there for anything other than the occasional half marathon. Mostly because of ticket prices for the F1 but that's no excuse, there's plenty of other racing series I could get my backside to. But traffic.

WEC starts in April with ELMS supporting I think. That's an epic weekend for £40 (that was what we paid last year).
Loads of grandstands open and free to sit in. You could go and have a mooch around the back of the pits and see the guys fixing up bodywork etc. Traffic was reasonable. The racing was brilliant.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I think I'll put some effort into following WEC this year.

I tried to do Nascar last year, since I actually really enjoy oval sim racing. After watching a few races and seeing comedy cautions and other bizzaro poo poo, I gave up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Got my nando spray. Yup that's exactly the generic men's aftershave smell I was expecting, it ain't unisex that's for sure. Would be worth it at £40 but cost £15. Buy it for your dad, he'll like it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what's nando spray, does it smell like spicy chicken or something

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's more like a hint of decomposing corpse covered by eau de l'ectricite and a dash of carbon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Riso posted:

It's more like a hint of decomposing corpse covered by eau de l'ectricite and a dash of carbon.

And a dash of anime pillow

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

track day bro! posted:

Paddock hill bend is insanely ftw, every time I've been somebody has always had a massive off into it

Last time I was at Brands Hatch that somebody was Lewis Hamilton when he was racing Formula Renault.

(along with a good quarter of the field by the end of the race)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I think I'll put some effort into following WEC this year.

I tried to do Nascar last year, since I actually really enjoy oval sim racing. After watching a few races and seeing comedy cautions and other bizzaro poo poo, I gave up.

give NASCAR another shot, they have massively cut back on the silly cautions and stripped a lot of downforce off the cars, it's been really really good this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think I've watched a complete NASCAR race for like three years, please don't lie to me like this./

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i have watched 4.5 of the 5 races this season and i regret none of it. there are long green flag runs with close racing and bananas finishes. it is great.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

what's nando spray, does it smell like spicy chicken or something

You're getting it mixed up with a Cheeky Nandos, which is something top bantz lad Will Stephens likes to have on the way to winning LMP2 in wec.

Helicon One posted:

Last time I was at Brands Hatch that somebody was Lewis Hamilton when he was racing Formula Renault.

(along with a good quarter of the field by the end of the race)

It's pretty scary in the wet or if you aren't confident with it, but once you get it right the feeling of compression going down the hill is brilliant even in a roadcar, I'd love to try it in something like a formula ford.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

be nice wicka posted:

i have watched 4.5 of the 5 races this season and i regret none of it. there are long green flag runs with close racing and bananas finishes. it is great.
Enjoy it while it lasts since the mandatory yellow flags every 20 minutes are coming soon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

give NASCAR another shot, they have massively cut back on the silly cautions and stripped a lot of downforce off the cars, it's been really really good this year.

I took tomorrow off to do some house repair stuff I've been putting off. I'll catch up on this seasons races while I poke at that.

Got a quick link for my lazy rear end about this years rule changes?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite thing about the rule changes is that it's suddenly accepted knowledge in the press and the NASCAR staff that the racing has been atrocious for the last 8 years, when just a few years ago they were all completely ignoring, or defending it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Helicon One posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts since the mandatory yellow flags every 20 minutes are coming soon.

caution clock is just for the truck series because the truck series is inherently lol

Alain Post posted:

My favorite thing about the rule changes is that it's suddenly accepted knowledge in the press and the NASCAR staff that the racing has been atrocious for the last 8 years, when just a few years ago they were all completely ignoring, or defending it.

they are holding back on throwing minor debris cautions because they don't want to interrupt the racing. consider how crazy that is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The lower series are awful, yeah, mainly due to the awful field quality lately. Haven't caught up on WTCC or DTM lately but the XFinity series might actually be the worst racing series in the world right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

they are holding back on throwing minor debris cautions because they don't want to interrupt the racing. consider how crazy that is.

You're going to be in trouble if I watch a race and it sucks rear end

• Locked thread