Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

I can tell you to slow down. I can't make the A321 climb any faster, or get the Eclipse jet to do 270kts.

I will say that the past couple of times I was heading south we were at the front of the pack. MIA asked us our speed in the transition. "330K". "Can you give us 350?" "Affirmative."

It does get pretty loud at 8000ft at that airspeed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ausgezeichnet posted:

SWA went to a FMS cost index of 20 when their fuel hedges went tits up a few years ago, so now the Kernals descend at .74M/260K. Anybody there with a brain (and who wants to grab some Burger King during the turn) flies at a more reasonable speed, but as you indicated you can only go as fast as the slowest guy. Which is bullshit. I get paid a salary and have a 2.5 hour drive home. :argh:

Southwest had a big part in developing the RNAV arrivals into KSTL and the descent speeds on those before you get below 10,000 feet are all 280 knots.

The real problem is the planes with an FMS or pilot that decide they need to immediately descend to the lowest altitude possible and slow way the gently caress down. A lot of people thought blending the RNAV and regular arrivals together would be an issue but it really isn't at all. You just have to pay a little bit of attention.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ausgezeichnet posted:

350kts at 8000

That doesn't sound right....

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

I will say that the past couple of times I was heading south we were at the front of the pack. MIA asked us our speed in the transition. "330K". "Can you give us 350?" "Affirmative."

It does get pretty loud at 8000ft at that airspeed, though.

:black101:

Unrelated: Had a Lear 75 come off FLL the other day, gave me the unexpected altitude syntax. (When an aircraft climbs or descends at more than a certain rate, the computer says "this probably isn't right, you should double check this" by displaying the mode-c reported altitude with an X next to it. We're then required to reconfirm their mode-c readout.)

:crossarms:: "N241BJ, say rate of climb?"
:grin:: "Just over ten thousand feet per minute."
:allears:: "Thanks, contact Miami center 125.07."

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What rate of climb do you see from EMB145s? I'm on those a lot for very short flights and they feel like rockets.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
They're often quite poor climbers. Not sure about the rate but I know I'm always topping them with bizjets.

Not much of an issue for me now, as everyone out of DFW is put in line anyway, but we used to have several E145 flights out of Corpus Christi and surrounding airports and they climbed like dogshit. Especially in the south Texas heat.

It probably helps that DFW departures are mostly on RNAV (GPS) departure procedures which have minimum altitude restrictions at various points. So, they're probably dialing in a bit more performance than they would on an unrestricted departure out of Podunk Corpus Christi.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

They're often quite poor climbers. Not sure about the rate but I know I'm always topping them with bizjets.

They're ok till about FL180, then they fall on their faces. Also, giving them any kind of speed increase absolutely kills their rate of climb. Still not as bad as a heavy/worn out A321 though.

Or a CRJ-100...

Surprisingly, Citation Xs/Tens don't climb particularly well. They're not BAD, but I guess the wing they use is super optimized for cruise, because they really don't climb as well as you would expect for a jet that will routinely cruise at M.90+.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Regarding climb rates, being on a mostly empty MD-88 from DFW to OKC is the most fun I've ever had as a commercial passenger.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Ferret King posted:

12+ miles offshore. :whatup:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Regarding climb rates, being on a mostly empty MD-88 from DFW to OKC is the most fun I've ever had as a commercial passenger.

Only thing better is a standing take off. I still have no idea why they would have done it, though it was at LEX, maybe they were confused about the runway. :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ausgezeichnet posted:

12+ miles offshore. :whatup:

Wackiness

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Had a lovely one the other night.

Maastricht: What's a really nice point on your flight plan.

Look at Captain, no words, just key up

Me: November Tango would be good. (the outer marker, 1100 miles away)
Maastricht: Direct November Tango

Happy Days

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

The Slaughter posted:

Jesus. When I'm told "maintain .74 or less for spacing" an expletive literally comes out of my mouth. I can't imagine flying that slowly the rest of the time.
Had a medical emergency today and Seattle Approach was totally on it. "delete the speeds on the arrival, expect 16L" (16l is the good runway there), tower asked our gate, then after we rolled out just gave us our taxi instructions without us having to call ground or ramp. (I actually wish that when exiting 16L at P for spot 88 that we could just skip calling ground entirely cause... you're on bravo for like 15 feet basically already crossing it by the time they tell you "go to spot 88 and contact ramp", it's entirely pointless..

Least they didn't tell you to "expect Tango"... as so many other jets have.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

I was recently on a mostly empty FDX DC10, 4500 FPM at 360 kts.... I think they were showing off.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

TangoFox posted:

Least they didn't tell you to "expect Tango"... as so many other jets have.

This is a joke about pilots landing on Taxiway Tango, which is between two runways at Seattle and has happened before.

This is not a joke about ATC telling pilots to expect something. Because that joke would make less sense.

TangoFox posted:

I was recently on a mostly empty FDX DC10, 4500 FPM at 360 kts.... I think they were showing off.

This guy was on a lightly loaded FedEx cargo flight. And it climbed very quickly. The flight crew may have been showing off.

hjp766 posted:

Had a lovely one the other night.

Maastricht: What's a really nice point on your flight plan.

Look at Captain, no words, just key up

Me: November Tango would be good. (the outer marker, 1100 miles away)
Maastricht: Direct November Tango

Happy Days

Long flights are generally routed over various points which are not the most direct. This pilot was asked what point on their route they'd prefer and they jokingly suggested a point almost directly at their destination. An unheard of request. The request was granted. That is the funny part.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 1, 2016

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
And for Ferret King, when you feel generous on departures if you have short enough routes (am thinking a la Belfast/Dublin - Liverpool/Isle of Man) do you ever give this style (this was in Belfast)):

"After departure cancel SID, turn right 140 degrees intercept localiser 09 in Liverpool, you are number two to the Ryanair just airborne out of Dublin".

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I was once on a flight to DFW that diverted for weather to Alliance Airport (AFW) which is only 15 or so miles away.

I'm not sure what coordination exactly was made. But we lifted off Runway 16L at Alliance, made a left turn and flew straight in to Runway 13R at DFW. Took maybe 5 minutes total flight time.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

The Ferret King posted:

I so wish this was inside 12.

simble
May 11, 2004

Inside 12 what?.... uh... speed?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Training:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm gonna finally start training on Tuesday. Been a few months since I've talked on the radio. Hopefully it'll come right back to me.

Getting ready for 1-2 years of that uphill battle.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

I'm gonna finally start training on Tuesday. Been a few months since I've talked on the radio. Hopefully it'll come right back to me.

Getting ready for 1-2 years of that uphill battle.

As long as you are a chick with a gorgeous voice we don't care what cock ups you make as long as you laugh afterwards... (and give us a direct)

Oh, wait a minute

On a realistic note, good luck, radio is duck to water territory

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone else enjoy having to get 30 miles in trail for an airport 671 miles from your boundary so the next center doesn't have to do anything? On the loving mid? gently caress you Indy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Anyone else enjoy having to get 30 miles in trail for an airport 671 miles from your boundary so the next center doesn't have to do anything? On the loving mid? gently caress you Indy.

Welcome to my world.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Advise ready to copy, I have an amendment to your routing....

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

fknlo posted:

How about loving detroit? They close the WEEDA half the year and we have a TMI to reroute them because TMU is too lazy to do it off the loving ground.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hobbesmaster posted:

Only thing better is a standing take off. I still have no idea why they would have done it, though it was at LEX, maybe they were confused about the runway. :v:

CRJ-700, standing takeoff, no de-rating the engines , 2 souls on board, and enough fuel to go all the way from JFK to LGA. We made it to cruise altitude literally before the end of the runway.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
This made me lose more faith in our TMU today. The original routing they changed them to was only 200 nm in the wrong direction.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW2038/history/20160415/0010Z/KMCO/EGKK

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH465/history/20160415/0005Z/KMCO/EDDF

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
We got 0 new hires last year and we're apparently getting 0 again this year. One of our areas will lose 50% of their staffing over the next 3 years due to forced retirements. I don't understand it :psyduck:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

We got 0 new hires last year and we're apparently getting 0 again this year. One of our areas will lose 50% of their staffing over the next 3 years due to forced retirements. I don't understand it :psyduck:

Ya, we're on the backside of "planning" like that. It's loving ridiculous.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

fknlo posted:

You'll get two transfers in about a month, both are really good people, one is a better controller than the other, by that I mean one is an excellent controller and one is a good controller. I don't know what area they're going to.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Boom. Staffing solved.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Yuk yukyukyuk

https://www.facebook.com/airtrafficcontrolmemes/videos/863976023712556/?pnref=story

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Everyday

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Two souls onboard!

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Where do they find them. Must admit I sometimes find it gets easier to let everyone else yell and wait for the "Viking XXX are you here." " Yes sir, Viking XXX level 330 direct XXX" "Thanks"

What gets me is when the buggers do it at 2 loving am with only 5 planes in the drat sky, in London at Midday I can understand - hell the only contact we sometimes get from sector to the next is "Monitor on XXX.XX" so we do, and they still try and bloody check in :commissar:

Other pet peeve - ATC tell them to "stand by" and they read back "standing by."

However, I must confess to being among the have dones in regards to confusing the PA and COM1 selector on a Boeing... You never ever ever are allowed to forget that one - and I've done it both ways - we had some very puzzled passengers :doh:

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 18, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TangoFox posted:

You'll get two transfers in about a month, both are really good people, one is a better controller than the other, by that I mean one is an excellent controller and one is a good controller. I don't know what area they're going to.

Not mine, I can pretty much guarantee that. We have a bunch of idiots that are so in love with their breaks that we don't keep enough sectors open to justify getting new people.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
My ZLA buddy tells me this today (literal c/v):

I am a little whore that gets paid way to much for doing nothing g

Ask him what area that is there and how long it took:

Took me 20 months since I walked in the door.. I'm in area D. We have Area A thru F. CPC with our new locality is 138k

Enjoy the 6 figure welfare. Now go republican. FYGM. All that jazz.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

My ZLA buddy tells me this today (literal c/v):

I am a little whore that gets paid way to much for doing nothing g

Ask him what area that is there and how long it took:

Took me 20 months since I walked in the door.. I'm in area D. We have Area A thru F. CPC with our new locality is 138k

Enjoy the 6 figure welfare. Now go republican. FYGM. All that jazz.

I've been at ZMA three years, and I'm still 40hrs from minimums on my last three radars. Mostly because our training department couldn't plan a four year old's birthday party.

gently caress him, and gently caress everyone in my academy class that has been CPC for a year plus.

Busiest level 11 in the world. WOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hjp766 posted:

However, I must confess to being among the have dones in regards to confusing the PA and COM1 selector on a Boeing... You never ever ever are allowed to forget that one - and I've done it both ways - we had some very puzzled passengers :doh:
Heard this the other day:

AAL1234: "Ladies and gentlemen we are beginning our final descent into ORD on American 1234 and are leaving 10 for 8 thousand with delta."
Tracon: "Nice save"