Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quick question. I have a pair of shoes that got soaked in cat piss - like, inside, padding and inner sole. I've sprayed and scrubbed with Nature's Miracle and Dr. Scholl's multiple times, but the smell won't go away. They're leather shoes so I can't put them through the wash. Any special techniques for cleaning this, or am I just buying a new pair of shoes? They're my favorite work shoes and still in pretty good shape so I'd rather not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Soak them in lemon juice. Cats hate anything involving citrus. But you're missing out because shoelaces are one of the most effective cheap (not)cat toys on the market.

Lemon juice huh... would spraying a living plant with citric acid be detrimental to its health? I'm thinking of this drat pine the cat keeps thinking of going after.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Quick question. I have a pair of shoes that got soaked in cat piss - like, inside, padding and inner sole. I've sprayed and scrubbed with Nature's Miracle and Dr. Scholl's multiple times, but the smell won't go away. They're leather shoes so I can't put them through the wash. Any special techniques for cleaning this, or am I just buying a new pair of shoes? They're my favorite work shoes and still in pretty good shape so I'd rather not.

You will be buying a new pair of shoes. Anything that gets cat piss out is going to ruin the leather. Hydrogen peroxide sometimes works for me when Nature's Miracle fails, but you'd destroy the shoes.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

dopaMEAN posted:

Would it be better to leave my 15 year old as an only cat until the end, or to find her a companion? She's the picture of health and extremely playful but she's also pretty dominant and likes to maintain control of the food. She got away with totally running the show with Fival, even though he weighed 50% more than her. I'm super close to this cat and don't want to do anything to make her unhappy or stress her.

If it makes a difference, she seems to be doing ok since yesterday.

I would personally keep an eye on the old lady and see how she does alone for a couple of weeks. If it looks like you are both ready for a new friend, perhaps consider a younger cat, maybe a kitten. They're playful, but she would still be able to dominate them and feel in control. Kittens are a lot to take on, but I've known cats who were incapable of living with other adult cats warm up to kittens because they still feel In Charge...even if the kitten grows up to totally boss them around :3:

Or, perhaps, contact a shelter and see about foster-to-adopt programs. These awesome programs mean that you can care for a animal for a period of time - giving them much-needed love and attention, as well as seeing how they function in your household - with no added responsibilities or promises made. Even if it doesn't work out, you still give the cat some time away from the shelter, and help form a concise review of him/her to better home the cat in the future. It's a win-win!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You might be able to reduce a bit of the stink by packing the shoes in an airtight container with baking soda and keep rotating the baking soda out, but I wouldn't count on it.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

porkswordonboard posted:

I would personally keep an eye on the old lady and see how she does alone for a couple of weeks. If it looks like you are both ready for a new friend, perhaps consider a younger cat, maybe a kitten. They're playful, but she would still be able to dominate them and feel in control. Kittens are a lot to take on, but I've known cats who were incapable of living with other adult cats warm up to kittens because they still feel In Charge...even if the kitten grows up to totally boss them around :3:

Or, perhaps, contact a shelter and see about foster-to-adopt programs. These awesome programs mean that you can care for a animal for a period of time - giving them much-needed love and attention, as well as seeing how they function in your household - with no added responsibilities or promises made. Even if it doesn't work out, you still give the cat some time away from the shelter, and help form a concise review of him/her to better home the cat in the future. It's a win-win!

I'm going to have a baby in June, do you think it would be better for everyone if I got the new cat/kitten settled in before baby arrives?

I like the idea of getting a kitten before the baby comes so that it's nearing adulthood and comfortable in its environment before our baby is old enough to try to interact with it. Obviously we'll make sure there are safe baby-free spaces for the cats to escape to when they don't want to be bothered.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

you're kinda hosed unless you can wait a looooong time; i've had some luck with using a bunch of enzymatic cleaner and then hanging something out to air out and forgetting about it for a long time and when i get back to it it has a 60/40 chance of not having that piss smell(or enzymatic cleaner smell) anymore

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
You can always gamble on leaving them in the sun for a day. We have a rubber mat that catches litter outside our box and our elderly cat started peeing on it when she had spine problems. Nature's miracle couldn't quite get the smell out, but a good 8 hours being blasted by UV from the sun did the trick. Not sure how that would work since it's inside the shoe though, unless you have removable insoles.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

dopaMEAN posted:

I'm going to have a baby in June, do you think it would be better for everyone if I got the new cat/kitten settled in before baby arrives?

I like the idea of getting a kitten before the baby comes so that it's nearing adulthood and comfortable in its environment before our baby is old enough to try to interact with it. Obviously we'll make sure there are safe baby-free spaces for the cats to escape to when they don't want to be bothered.

I think that's honestly up to you. If you're not going to be able to spend a lot of time with the kitten due to childcare duties, I would avoid it, but if you or someone else will be around to make sure the lil dude is getting properly socialized then that could work nicely. In this case, I would probably look for a young cat/kitten who's a little more chill, because the sounds of a cat rocketing around your house at 2am probably isn't ideal for sleeping for you or the baby.

If it was me, I'd wait until the baby was 6 months old or so before getting another cat. Otherwise that's a LOT of change to put both on yourself and the 15 year old kitty in a short span of time. But I don't know your situation, it might work out great!

Also, congratulations!

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

my cat is 14 yr old and always smells like piss. why does she smell like pis? if i sniff her head it smells like piss if i sniff her body is piss. she used t o smell ok a year or two ago

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She could have a dental issue making her saliva smell bad and transfers over when she cleans herself. When was her last checkup?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

13 or 14 yr ago

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I know cats are weird and not all cats are interested in nip, but...

My boys (~8 months) are having a really strange reaction to it: they are intrigued by the smell from a distance, but when they get close and smell it they seem to get freaked out and back away/leave very quickly. I've tried cheap ground stuff and some more expensive dried buds, is it worth trying to grow some? I live in an apartment where getting enough light without lamps would be a problem.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Go to a pet store, buy a little catnip plant, see if they like it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Gorgar posted:

Go to a pet store, buy a little catnip plant, see if they like it.

None of the ones I've been to yet had any live plants, guess I'll keep looking. :shrug:

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I've had luck finding live catnip and cat mint plants at Home Depot in their garden center. Just don't do what I did and give it to your siblings to keep for you until you had time to harvest it only for the fat ginger cat down the road to eat the entire thing in one sitting and then pass out in the pot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Canadian Bakin posted:

I've had luck finding live catnip and cat mint plants at Home Depot in their garden center. Just don't do what I did and give it to your siblings to keep for you until you had time to harvest it only for the fat ginger cat down the road to eat the entire thing in one sitting and then pass out in the pot.

Garfieeeeeld!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
So I stupidly let my cat gnaw on a leftover cooked chicken bone tonight, only checking after the fact and seeing that cooked bones are dangerous. She didn't really crack the main part of the bone so much as gnaw off all the residual meat and cartilage (and possibly some small bits of bone at the ends..) She seems fine for now, but I feel like an idiot. Anything I should be on the lookout for the next couple of days aside from obvious signs of distress and digestive problems?

Also, she really enjoyed the bone, so I'd like to occasionally get her some raw bones to go to town on (and supposedly it's good for her teeth and gums). Is there a recommended type that is easy to get and isn't going to make her sick or spread bad bacteria around our house? There seems to be a wide range of somewhat conflicting advice about this online. Does anybody do this with their cats?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I feed my cat raw chicken or gizzard. I can get them in large bags for $2 and lay them in a flat container and freeze them at least two weeks first to hopefully murder any bad stuff. Then I grab a piece or two to defrost in the fridge before I go work, and warm them up to body temp before feeding. :v: Feed them on a tiled area you can wipe off. Or a mat you can easily clean.

If the cooked bone wasnt broken or splintered, your cat should be fine.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

kaworu posted:

On another note, I have a bit of a weird question. I am a part-time smoker, though I have cut down a fair bit; I smoke maybe, 5 cigarettes a day or something. On the occasions when I go out to smoke, if I come back in and, say, try to pet Jackie shortly afterward she will get downright crazy obsessive about licking the fingers I was using to hold the cigarette. She will forcefully hold my hand down with her big paws/claws. I just don't get why she does it, or what the motivation is. I mostly remember to wash my hands now after I smoke because it can't be a healthy thing for her, I somehow imagine.

Seems like this is a thing.
Its possible your cat has a nicotine habit. Make sure she doesn't get into your cigarettes or she might poison herself.

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 30, 2016

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah I feed my cat raw chicken or gizzard. I can get them in large bags for $2 and lay them in a flat container and freeze them at least two weeks first to hopefully murder any bad stuff. Then I grab a piece or two to defrost in the fridge before I go work, and warm them up to body temp before feeding. :v: Feed them on a tiled area you can wipe off. Or a mat you can easily clean.

If the cooked bone wasnt broken or splintered, your cat should be fine.

I've read that salmonella isn't a big deal for cats, but shouldn't I be concerned about her spreading it around the house after going to town on raw chicken meat? For example, wouldn't it be all over her fur if she licks herself after eating?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Its possible your cat has a nicotine habit. Make sure she doesn't get into your cigarettes or she might poison herself.

what the gently caress

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

So I stupidly let my cat gnaw on a leftover cooked chicken bone tonight, only checking after the fact and seeing that cooked bones are dangerous. She didn't really crack the main part of the bone so much as gnaw off all the residual meat and cartilage (and possibly some small bits of bone at the ends..) She seems fine for now, but I feel like an idiot. Anything I should be on the lookout for the next couple of days aside from obvious signs of distress and digestive problems?

Also, she really enjoyed the bone, so I'd like to occasionally get her some raw bones to go to town on (and supposedly it's good for her teeth and gums). Is there a recommended type that is easy to get and isn't going to make her sick or spread bad bacteria around our house? There seems to be a wide range of somewhat conflicting advice about this online. Does anybody do this with their cats?

Raw chicken necks are good for this! You can buy a bunch of them really cheap and they're a good size for a cat to enjoy gnawing on. We used to do it for our old cat until she got too old and sick, she loved it. Sometimes we'd give her chicken hearts too as a special treat since anywhere that sells one will sell the other and they're also really cheap.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Since easter was sunday, I suggest everyone spend 50 cents on some plastic easter eggs. They're brightly colored, and the holes in them mean a little catnip in them will drive your cat insane. I have one I taped shut that Priss will occasionally play with. But what she really loves is playing fetch with a half of one. The easiest play I've ever done with a cat. And holy poo poo the muffled meow while she saunters back carrying this bright pink thing almost made me cry it's so cute.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

I've read that salmonella isn't a big deal for cats, but shouldn't I be concerned about her spreading it around the house after going to town on raw chicken meat? For example, wouldn't it be all over her fur if she licks herself after eating?

Yes. According to my friend who is a vet, the disease passes through the cat and will be spread all over, from licking its butthole/self and litterbox pawprints. At his workplace, once they find out an animal is on a raw diet, it's to be handled with gloves only.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

One time when I was going out to smoke, my cat ambushed me and swatted the cigarette out of my mouth.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Nasgate posted:

Since easter was sunday, I suggest everyone spend 50 cents on some plastic easter eggs. They're brightly colored, and the holes in them mean a little catnip in them will drive your cat insane. I have one I taped shut that Priss will occasionally play with. But what she really loves is playing fetch with a half of one. The easiest play I've ever done with a cat. And holy poo poo the muffled meow while she saunters back carrying this bright pink thing almost made me cry it's so cute.

Cheapo cat toys are always the best cat toys. I feel like there should be a master list somewhere.
-Milk Jug Rings
-Hair Ties
-Plastic Easter Eggs
-Shoelaces
-Backscratchers
-Hands

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Cheapo cat toys are always the best cat toys. I feel like there should be a master list somewhere.
-Milk Jug Rings
-Hair Ties
-Plastic Easter Eggs
-Shoelaces
-Backscratchers
-Hands

-Q tips
-Cardboard boxes

My cat is pretty happy someone mentioned the Easter eggs! She's a huge fan of balls in general and really took to the plain old empty Easter egg!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Boxes from Amazon that I would really like to throw away one day make good toys

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MrSlam posted:

-Milk Jug Rings
-Hair Ties
-Plastic Easter Eggs
-Shoelaces
-Backscratchers
-Hands

-Feet
-Bottle caps

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
-An old sock with catnip (I call mine "drug sock")

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I bought this for my cats and they didn't hate it which is a beaming recommendation from cats:

http://www.musicforcats.com/

They have a sample you can play and see if your cat reacts to it but it's a very interesting concept.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Pizza tables were a favourite of my cats (those little things they put in pizza to keep it from hitting the top of the box.). I don't have pizza anymore so they haven't had one in a long time though.

Also if you are outside the US then kinder surprise capsules are perfect. They are durable as gently caress and are really difficult to open. I'll throw a few pennies into one and toss it on the ground and they lose their minds.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Reik posted:

I bought this for my cats and they didn't hate it which is a beaming recommendation from cats:

http://www.musicforcats.com/

They have a sample you can play and see if your cat reacts to it but it's a very interesting concept.

I played it for my cats. They did not respond in any way.

I find the premise behind it - that musical response is encoded in genes - to be rather dubious. There's no reason a cat should care about music. They'll respond to something that sounds like a bird call for obvious reasons, which can sound musical.

If your cats actually liked it, then good for them. I personally doubt cats respond to it at any higher rate than they respond to any other music.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

-drinking straws, preferably tied into a knot

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
My cat ignores every toy I ever get for him, and exclusively plays with trash and other odd items.

I have this really thick and heavy duty rubber band that was on a double pack of celery that he goes totally insane over, now if I could only get him to bring it back when I've shot it across the room :smith:

He's not the brightest bulb.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Minarchist posted:

My cat ignores every toy I ever get for him, and exclusively plays with trash and other odd items.

I have this really thick and heavy duty rubber band that was on a double pack of celery that he goes totally insane over, now if I could only get him to bring it back when I've shot it across the room :smith:

He's not the brightest bulb.

In my expert opinion, it appears that you have a cat.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Iron Crowned posted:

In my expert opinion, it appears that you have a cat.

Yeah, he's a cat all right.

He used to be a lot moodier, I found going away from the free feeding to a strict twice-a-day feeding schedule made him realize that I'm where the food comes from and maybe he shouldn't be so actively lovely all the time.

He actually purrs and is affectionate now when for the first 2 years I had him he was really standoffish and aloof. I know its because I'm bribing him with food but he's starting to purr more and more when I pet him which he never used to do, and he actually wants to cuddle up at night.

He still can't bury a turd to save his life. *scrape scrape scrape* on every wall and surface other than the sand next to it. He's not the brightest.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
We have dozens of toys, but our girl Tipper lost her poo poo when she would play with our 10% off Half Price Books coupon we got for selling books to them. Now I have to keep selling them 1 book at a time when the coupons get torn up so I can get her a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Reik posted:

We have dozens of toys, but our girl Tipper lost her poo poo when she would play with our 10% off Half Price Books coupon we got for selling books to them. Now I have to keep selling them 1 book at a time when the coupons get torn up so I can get her a new one.

On a similar note, my cat goes crazy for receipts, so I just toss my grocery receipts on the floor when I'm done unpacking the bags (and scoop them back up after she gets bored).