Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Archer and Ellie have had fights over who gets the left shoulder
There are times when I really wonder how cockatiels actually survive as a species :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Decepticonure attacks local media:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...2296857ba676333

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

a baby cockatoo woke up at 2:30am and whined to be fed for half an hour while multiple other cockatoos made angry noises at it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bloke is going to be eaten.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Dreggon posted:

a baby cockatoo woke up at 2:30am and whined to be fed for half an hour while multiple other cockatoos made angry noises at it

you're living the dream

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I have two bird memories of my trip to Australia in 2002, when I went to visit my Canadian ex-pat uncle who lives way up in loving nowhere Queensland near Innisfail.

1) A flock of Cockatoos would fly by his place every drat morning at 7am, no matter how much we had had to drink the night before, and make the loudest racket you can imagine.

2) We saw a Cassowary at Mission Beach and was sternly told not to go anywhere near it.

Bonus spider story because goons love spiders:

Saw a Golden Orb Weaver the size of my cousin's head.

Edit: Also the Cassowary danger signs on the roads are (were?) loving hilarious

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Cassowaries are as mental as cockatoos except huge and with battering rams instead of pinecone bombs. Our snakes and spiders are poisonous as hell but they'll only attack you if you provoke them, cassowaries will kill you just cause they can. They are way scarier imo.

ohkay
Jul 26, 2013

Full set of Sacred Birds, by Kelly Vandiver, including an African Grey Constantine and Delilah as a lovebird: http://kelleyvandiver.com/?page_id=2

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Cassowaries are loving asshat murderbirds.

Here is my hand, my lovely chipped nail polish, an ill-fitting ring I found on the footpath, and a small huntsman spider:

Here is the common Australian bird-mammal hedgehog. Gotta go fast:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ohkay posted:

Full set of Sacred Birds, by Kelly Vandiver, including an African Grey Constantine and Delilah as a lovebird: http://kelleyvandiver.com/?page_id=2

awww yeah bird tittays

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Cassowaries are as mental as cockatoos except huge and with battering rams instead of pinecone bombs. Our snakes and spiders are poisonous as hell but they'll only attack you if you provoke them, cassowaries will kill you just cause they can. They are way scarier imo.

Dont forget the razor talons.

And tiger snakes will attack you unprovoked, if they feel like it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
My partners dad was over from New Zealand on holiday the othet year and we went to a nature reserve that has a lake/swamp and he decided to go for a stroll in all the reeds and swampy bits on the shore of the lake.

"Um, I wouldn't do that here, the lake is full of tiger snakes"
"Won't they run away if they hear me coming?"
"No, tiger snakes are agro as gently caress and will chase you rather than running away"

He got out of the reeds pretty drat quickly.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

my friends mums house today
:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

Your friend's mum is going to be the victim of a gang initiation ritual

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

hope your friends' mum finds a new house okay

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

its the birds house now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My grandma once had too many sherries and forgot to check the outhouse properly and sat on a dunny spider. It did not end well for Grandma or the spider.

My mum highly disapproves of Dreggon feeding the birds btw, there was a very plaintive "but why would they encourage them!" when I showed pictures.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i think i might be attending a closed casket funeral soon :ohdear:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Cassowaries are loving asshat murderbirds.

Here is my hand, my lovely chipped nail polish, an ill-fitting ring I found on the footpath, and a small huntsman spider:

Here is the common Australian bird-mammal hedgehog. Gotta go fast:

i had a pet huntsman but then mum threw it outside and a magpie ate it

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Oh my god there are so many gems here. :swoon:

I feel bad for finding the slow-mo replay so funny, because she was legit rattled by it.

Still, "WHEN BIRDS ATTACK!" huh? :haw:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 30, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Australia looks like a wonderful magical place and I hope I can go there and experience wild dinosaurs at least once in my lifetime

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
man the 2 queenslanders post murder birds and hugeass spiders just chilling in our homes and your reaction is to come here??

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't know.

Must be fun or something.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

man the 2 queenslanders post murder birds and hugeass spiders just chilling in our homes and your reaction is to come here??

The spiders I prefer not to think about, ever, but the murder birds are honestly huge plus points

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Battle Pigeon posted:

The spiders I prefer not to think about, ever, but the murder birds are honestly huge plus points

I would love to hug a cassowary but it would literally then proceed to kick my skull open

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

its the birds house now

Me must build trust with the birds and in time our two people may become one.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I would love to hug a cassowary but it would literally then proceed to kick my skull open

Battle Pigeon posted:

you guys should go hang out with the chill as hell emu at dreamworld. he comes right up to the fence and is fluffy as hell

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

nielsm posted:

I don't know.

If Skillet catches wind of his silhouette he has to immediately pay attention to and court the mysterious yet beautiful shadow bird so that may be what is happening here

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

Me must build trust with the birds and in time our two people may become one.

this but cassowaries

*conquers new zealand*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

this but cassowaries

*conquers new zealand*

This would be a good idea but for the fact that kea exist

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

This would be a good idea but for the fact that kea exist

You'd have that armor on the cassowary for about five minutes before the Kea ate all the leather straps and it just fell off around you

leave the cassowary parked for five minutes and you come out and it's up on blocks and graffiti'd

Keas are the 1970s new york / chicago street gangs of New Zealand

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's a kea?

*googles*

It looks like a cross between a red-tailed black cockatoo and a golden eagle. drat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Those bastards are the reason my cousin (she married a kiwi, we don't like to talk about it) has 8 pyrenean mountain x Australian shepherd dogs on her goat farm. They are like foxes but airborne and you are not allowed to kill them even if they are attempting to break into a kid's scull.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

I don't know.

WALL IS FRIEND :derptiel:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

"Hi we're the Murderbirds. We just moved in next door. I'm Razorclaw and these are my children Slayer, Annihilator, Eviscerator, and Lacerator. My husband Deathbringer is out killing a kangaroo."

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Potato Salad posted:

What's a kea?

*googles*

It looks like a cross between a red-tailed black cockatoo and a golden eagle. drat.

A parrot that eats cars for entertainment.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Potato Salad posted:

What's a kea?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
The incredible pleasure that birds take in knocking poo poo over will never cease to fascinate me

It's like they're getting back at us for having arms

"Oh, your meat grabbers are SO NICE, huh? Well, now you have to use them to pick this poo poo back up."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

3/3 Flying, Trample

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potato Salad posted:

What's a kea?

*googles*

Phoneposting so I cant link directly, but look up Keas on youtube. The phrase "shagged by a rare parrot", specifically.

It's also the origin of :parrot:.