Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Gauntlet Barons, give me the cliffnotes wisdom on how to thrive in this brave new world of card value and slow draws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Surrender to despair and build poo poo decks.

It's funny that they're saying this makes the game more accessible, because it nerfs Lyonar weenie, probably the easiest deck to build, something fierce. Healyonar control needs about half a dozen epic/legendary cards I just can't get right now. I figure my best option is to dump a bunch of spirit into celerity commons and have them eat removal until the combo is ready.

Captain Hank Hart is still jank, right? I've got two and I'm deciding between disenchanting them to rebuild my decks or just :rolldice: on the reset. I've got a playset of Ironcliffes I really don't want to lose, tho.

edit: Oh wait, gauntlet? Same as before, just shift the curve a little to the right. Look for creatures with "gently caress you" opening gambits, kill a dork/gain a dork is stupid powerful.

Murderion fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 30, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Megasabin posted:

What's the deck list?

Twin Fang, Kujata, lots of 1-drop 1-hp minions. play dance, play kujata, play twin fang, play a lot of 1-drops and gain damage from them dying to kujata, which draws you another card

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 30, 2016

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Ranged minions seem very very good in gauntlet now. I had one game where I was losing board presence, low on life and out of creatures to play, retreated back into my half of the field with a simple 4/3 archer lady out and this was actually a winning play because he had no answers and I could just gun down everything he played as he tried to chase after me. I feel like I would absolutely have lost in that situation previously.

Another game I played the 1/2 ranged guy, Greater Fortitude on turn 2 and had him concede by turn 4 or 5 because he couldn't make any creatures stick.

It seems like these kinds of value plays that previously would have been doomed to failure or very risky due to the ubiquity of available removal or combos are much more viable now?

Scoss fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 30, 2016

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Scoss posted:

Ranged minions seem very very good in gauntlet now. I had one game where I was losing board presence, low on life and out of creatures to play, retreated back into my half of the field with a simple 4/3 archer lady out and this was actually a winning play because he had no answers and I could just gun down everything he played as he tried to chase after me. I feel like I would absolutely have lost in that situation previously.

Another game I played the 1/2 ranged guy, Greater Fortitude on turn 2 and had him concede by turn 4 or 5 because he couldn't make any creatures stick.

It seems like these kinds of value plays that previously would have been doomed to failure or very risky due to the ubiquity of available removal or combos are much more viable now?

I lost 3 gauntlet matches in a row to ranged units with Killing Edge on them. It was a pretty good experience.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I'll pound out a few Gauntlet runs when I get back but I'd imagine that ranged units got a lot of help indirectly now that people are drafting to fill the curve. Most removal lives in the 2-3 range which you really don't want to overfill unless you have solid draw. Add to that the new mulligan / draw mechanics means people are either too trigger-happy on using their removal or not realizing that they can't rely on drawing removal and need to have it in-hand.

idk yet but it's probably people not yet figuring out the best way to draft arena in the new environment

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 30, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I haven't had a chance to play the new version yet, but I do think it's funny that the "elegant" change to their core mechanics that they were hyping turned out to be changing one of the few things they were really distinct on back to what's been the genre standard for 20 years.

It might make for an overall better game, but it is a little disappointing to see it become more homogeneous with what's already out there, especially since I'd previously been pitching the game to friends as unique and interesting for being one of the only TCGs that manages to deemphasize card advantage.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I think the only one that really cuts card advantage and is better for it is Netrunner. Here they managed to trim out the worst of card advantage but that just forced everything to be about tempo...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

With all the changes, the new season cards kinda flew past me. Not too happy about them including Divine Shield cause it's a somewhat bullshit mechanic. Seer is a straight up Minibot and will see a lot of play since it's a powerful neutral common and goes into a mana slot that has wasn't utilized that much before. It has huge potential to become a staple and problematic card with the amount of cheap buffs available. Also Paragon is a good card. A little clunky but has huge swing potential and it just murders decks that favor aggressive statlines.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 30, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Andarel posted:

I think the only one that really cuts card advantage and is better for it is Netrunner. Here they managed to trim out the worst of card advantage but that just forced everything to be about tempo...

Actually literally the only other game I was thinking of when I said "one of the only." The first time someone demoed the game for me, I drew my opening hand and flashed him the Corp 1 credit card that draws 3 with a raised eyebrow. He laughed and said "you'll have to take my word for the moment that that's a mediocre card."

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

This game is much better after the changes - source: my games today

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

GreyPowerVan posted:

This game is much better after the changes - source: my games today

Let me tell you, after playing 8~ games to complete my quests welcome to the era of mechazor. He's nigh unstoppable now. No chance someone is going to gum up their deck with 3 crossbones and try to fish one out every game but as soon as I dropped him every time it required so much to answer him he instantly won me the game if my opponent didn't outright concede on the spot. Tempo hacks.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

drink_bleach posted:

Let me tell you, after playing 8~ games to complete my quests welcome to the era of mechazor. He's nigh unstoppable now. No chance someone is going to gum up their deck with 3 crossbones and try to fish one out every game but as soon as I dropped him every time it required so much to answer him he instantly won me the game if my opponent didn't outright concede on the spot. Tempo hacks.

Uh, what. Mechazor is essentially dead because its even more of a luck based crap shoot. You have a much smaller chance of getting your 5 cards, and if you don't, you just lose.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

drink_bleach posted:

i have not lost to a mechaz0r deck today

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

i have not lost to a mechaz0r deck today
You are my beacon of hope

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I've seen 1 vanar post-patch and he went full vespyr zoo or something like that

Very under-represented IMO

Seen 0 mechazor decks

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
Turn 3 OTK. This poo poo is so hilarious but insanely inconsistent. Took me 8 tries before I finally pulled this one off successfully, mostly due to the fact that Lyonar is so prevalent right now and provokes really throw a wrench in the plan.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Avasculous posted:

Actually literally the only other game I was thinking of when I said "one of the only." The first time someone demoed the game for me, I drew my opening hand and flashed him the Corp 1 credit card that draws 3 with a raised eyebrow. He laughed and said "you'll have to take my word for the moment that that's a mediocre card."

Yup! It's actually 0 credits to draw 3 and it's pretty mediocre indeed. But that's because cards are just a cog in the action economy machine which is the real limiting factor in Netrunner - since drawing a card is worth one action and that's that.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Kronikle posted:

Turn 3 OTK. This poo poo is so hilarious but insanely inconsistent.
lmao, I wish I had Kujatas

Also, hmmmmm. The game certainly plays pretty different now. Lategame slugfest sure is a good term for it but you also need to be able to get there. Like, even with decks that have a lot more weight from 4 onwards you can run dry incedribly fast if you draw too many small cards. My classic baseline for a general deck started with 7-9 two drops, but that's sorta hard to support now without extra draw. Having a solid amount of substance just shot up in value by a mile, and two drops fall off quickly when everyone goes for more substance by default. I guess I settle on 6-7 max as a general rule, since there are still so many good ones to include. I just played my quest classes, Magmar and Abyss, and their class draw worked out for me. Mag's draw is kinda hard to capitalize on without making your deck smaller by default, but Rite is amazing. But I feel that Mag will benefit a lot from this new system, since your're a card advanatage class by design. I still need to play around with neutral draw, but it seems a little hard to include except for aggro decks.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Can't tell you how great it feels for Scion's second wish to be a useful spell to cast

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Can't tell you how great it feels for Scion's second wish to be a useful spell to cast

Between that and first wish and inner oasis it gives you considerable draw advantage over opponents to lower your curve (and fish for mechs)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

drink_bleach posted:

Between that and first wish and inner oasis it gives you considerable draw advantage over opponents to lower your curve (and fish for mechs)

It just feels more like a card game now

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Megasabin posted:

Uh, what. Mechazor is essentially dead because its even more of a luck based crap shoot. You have a much smaller chance of getting your 5 cards, and if you don't, you just lose.

This so much. Plus the general weakness of mech minions in a new meta where card value is suddenly important is a huge hit to the power of mech play.

Also Lightbringer is a solid neutral add right now and deals with mech pretty handily while also being useful in multiple matchups.

I am super hyped about this new meta. Magmar zoo and Songhai control are my current decks in testing. I watched GrincherZ's stream yesterday night. He was play testing with the scientist, who is my most respected player in this game, and they both seemed to agree the deck to beat right now is dervish vetruvian.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

amazeballs posted:

This so much. Plus the general weakness of mech minions in a new meta where card value is suddenly important is a huge hit to the power of mech play.

Also Lightbringer is a solid neutral add right now and deals with mech pretty handily while also being useful in multiple matchups.

I am super hyped about this new meta. Magmar zoo and Songhai control are my current decks in testing. I watched GrincherZ's stream yesterday night. He was play testing with the scientist, who is my most respected player in this game, and they both seemed to agree the deck to beat right now is dervish vetruvian.

Scientist beat him consistently with Songhai by the end of the night, but yea it's powerful.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Megasabin posted:

Scientist beat him consistently with Songhai by the end of the night, but yea it's powerful.

True. I should have mentioned that. The other matchups seemed to favor Vet though.

It's also worth tempering expectations for the next week or so while things settle. I think the changes are big enough where the impact is going to take a while to realize.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Megasabin posted:

errr not really. Mechazor seems firmly where it has been for the most of the release of the game, a playable deck that exists but nothing like the best strategy going around by any extent.

Ancestral Divination+Mechazor Songhai works fairly well it was my second throw poo poo at a wall list before someone sent me Vetruvian and things got on a roll. Magmar and Vetruvian have both poked their head above the clouds in a big way though

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Urthor posted:

errr not really. Mechazor seems firmly where it has been for the most of the release of the game, a playable deck that exists but nothing like the best strategy going around by any extent.

Ancestral Divination+Mechazor Songhai works fairly well it was my second throw poo poo at a wall list before someone sent me Vetruvian and things got on a roll. Magmar and Vetruvian have both poked their head above the clouds in a big way though

What's the Vetruvian list? Dervishes have always interested me, but they were kinda trash before.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Try this Vet list: https://forums.duelyst.com/t/grincherzs-versatile-vetruvian-decklist-updated-for-patch-0-61/21065

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Urthor posted:

Not really. Previously Vanar or Songhai Mechazor could easily make it to S-Rank, and some of the top streamers like GrincherZ would not infrequently lose to it on their stream. I really doubt you are going to see that anymore.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I think songhai mechazor will make it back in. The payoff is bigger than it used to be and songhai still has decent draw options and some of the best early game tempo plays and they were the only faction that actually played a mechazor card outside of mechazor decks.

Also, chassis is actually kind of playable now that emerald is nerfed, twilight was bumped to 5, artifact hunter got nerfed, 4 winds mage is weaker with the curve changes. There's really not many good neutral 4-drops anymore, that's why you see people playing poo poo like purgatos which is basically just a better emerald now. Hailstone is the best tempo drop in that slot, although the dragon is pretty decent with the hp bump

koolkal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 31, 2016

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Has anyone played around with the new minions? Are they out yet? They're playing very cautiously around Forcefield since at 2/2 Sapphire Seer dies to any attack that gets through and won't be punching above her weight class -- it's for this reason that I think you get a lot of value out of any buffs since (barring removal) you need two attacks minimum to clear her. The 5 mana 5/1 Forcefield Celerity minion is neat but I suspect it'll deal 5 damage to one target of the opponent's choice and then die .

I'm kind of :shrug: on E'xun, since at 7 mana I'd imagine almost anything punching through the forcefield will kill it in one shot. Then again, you're getting 2 cards out of playing him at the minimum (again, barring removal).

Also does Flash Reincarnation count as a source of damage for the purposes of Forcefield? if not :getin: (your 3 mana sunsteel defender will still die on the enemy turn, sorry)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

They're not out until the season ends in a couple hours

I think the cheap one is pretty meh since general hit + basically any 2-drop can kill it without dying although it's a cheap buff carrier

The AoE damage one seems insane to me, it will straight up kill like half the minions in the game with its gambit

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Sunset Paragon and Sapphire Seer are going to become meta picks, mark my words.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
Lol Bonereaper's end of turn effect triggers Lionheart blessing. Very Balanced.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Lol Bonereaper's end of turn effect triggers Lionheart blessing. Very Balanced.

It also works with Death Strike Seal. Honestly using Bonereaper + Lionheart Blessing seems like an easy way to overdraw and burn cards.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

Kronikle posted:

It also works with Death Strike Seal. Honestly using Bonereaper + Lionheart Blessing seems like an easy way to overdraw and burn cards.

With the 40 card size of decks I don't think burning cards matters very much. Losing 4-5 cards is unlikely to matter.

Edit: I didn't realise it worked with death strike seal as well. Does anyone run a more control style Songhai with Bonereapers?

Lieutenant Hoffman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 1, 2016

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Trying to decided whether to reset the collection or not.

Legendaries I have are:

Eight Gates x1
Time Maelstrom x1
Deathfire Crescendo x2
Metamorphosis x1
Zen'rui x1
Zurael x1
Khymera x1

Epics:
Skywind glaives x2
Spiral Technique x1
Rasha's Curse x1
Portal Guardian x1
Wraithling Fury x1
Reaper of the 9 Moons x1
Kujata x1
Mind Steal x1
Draugar Lord x1
Aethermaster x1
Araki Headhunter x1
Alcuin Loremaster x1
Sworn Avenger x1
Chassis of Mech x1
Sunset Paragon x1
Twilight Sorcerer x1

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

vulturesrow posted:

Legendaries I have are:

Eight Gates x1
Time Maelstrom x1
Deathfire Crescendo x2
Metamorphosis x1
Zen'rui x1
Zurael x1
Khymera x1

Epics:
Skywind glaives x2
Spiral Technique x1
Rasha's Curse x1
Portal Guardian x1
Wraithling Fury x1
Reaper of the 9 Moons x1
Kujata x1
Mind Steal x1
Draugar Lord x1
Aethermaster x1
Araki Headhunter x1
Alcuin Loremaster x1
Sworn Avenger x1
Chassis of Mech x1
Sunset Paragon x1
Twilight Sorcerer x1

Sever. Not much synergy with your cards.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Edit: I didn't realise it worked with death strike seal as well. Does anyone run a more control style Songhai with Bonereapers?
It might be a goofy backup plan but it feels way too slow for Songhai. That's 8 mana to drop both in one turn. Maybe you could do it over two turns, but there's probably any number of other better ways to be spending your mana.

Kronikle posted:

Sunset Paragon and Sapphire Seer are going to become meta picks, mark my words.
I think Sapphire Seer gets way more irritating once you buff it past either 3 attack or 3 health since either are pretty critical breakpoints. Remains to be seen if that's enough. Definitely pick it up if you're doing a Gauntlet run and you're drafting Magmar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

vulturesrow posted:

Legendaries I have are:

Eight Gates x1
Time Maelstrom x1
Deathfire Crescendo x2
Metamorphosis x1
Zen'rui x1
Zurael x1
Khymera x1

Epics:
Skywind glaives x2
Spiral Technique x1
Rasha's Curse x1
Portal Guardian x1
Wraithling Fury x1
Reaper of the 9 Moons x1
Kujata x1
Mind Steal x1
Draugar Lord x1
Aethermaster x1
Araki Headhunter x1
Alcuin Loremaster x1
Sworn Avenger x1
Chassis of Mech x1
Sunset Paragon x1
Twilight Sorcerer x1

That's a pretty small collection, so you don't have much to lose. Also as the Lieutenant says, there's not a lot of synergy there.

In general, if you did a lot of disenchanting + crafting and your current card pool is not fitting in the current meta then the re-roll is probably a good idea. In all other situations its either a complete gamble or a bad idea.

Then again, opening orbs is FUN :woop:

• Locked thread