Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsMqggE1A8o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Doesn't appear when you're in a quaggan tonic, don't waste your gems

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think this is probably why Anet doesn't communicate with it's playerbase, giant shitstorm from a couple posts.

Course the posts were about cutting promised content and about the impossible struggles of changing the text in LFG to include raids, but probably would of gone better for them if cutting legendary weapons was done silently after releasing the two new ones and then everyone would just assume it's regular Anet patching schedule that they been waiting 1-2 years for the next batch to come out.

They don't communicate because customers don't like it when they get royally hosed? i mean, i guess that is technically true.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

malhavok posted:

They don't communicate because customers don't like it when they get royally hosed? i mean, i guess that is technically true.

lawyer up

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

ItBurns posted:

lawyer up

lube up

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Probad posted:

I have a pile of ascended armor and no one's managed to kill me in months. Stuff's absolutely broken. Upgrade as quickly as you can.

Can't be killed if no one's playing the game to fight you. Dead game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Can't be killed if no one's playing the game to fight you. Dead game.

He's lying, I kill him like 19 times every night.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

He's lying, I kill him like 19 times every night.

Is that the number of times you turn over while sleeping?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

1 death for every stomach he passes through

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Hi guys wvwvw is still pretty fun

Well, cya

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I keep hearing the new wvw maps are complete poo poo. What is it about them that makes everything so bad?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Sprite141 posted:

I keep hearing the new wvw maps are complete poo poo. What is it about them that makes everything so bad?

they're super empty. and big.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

mike12345 posted:

Yeah. I generally like the aesthetic better than the old alpine maps, and not needing to run a huge way around and jump off cliffs to get out of the main city is nice, but the open areas are just too damned huge. I ran with a zerg one night and we stuck to just one corner of one of the maps and the rotation for just hitting stuff in that corner was near an hour.

Maybe if they had more stuff in the open areas, ways to focus people into a main, shifting battleground, and more waypoints to make that focusing easier, they'd be great. Running for 10 solid minutes just to be sniped by a band of roamers before you get to anything interesting is loving silly.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

mike12345 posted:

"Guys the new wvw maps are empty, it sucks."
"Oh, then I better not go into them, it'll be empty."

And so the cycle continues

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Softface posted:

it's cool how this can be used to post-hoc justify every single piece of unpopular content in every mmo ever, so you don't have to do nasty stuff like "think" or "design"

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
While you all complain about the new borderlands maps on internet forums, we, the True Believers, will be waiting faithfully for your return to the epic content in the Desert Borderlands. Feel free to rejoin anytime, there aren't enough of us to make the maps queued.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Maguuma is apparently making a push to get into Tier 2, and Tier 2 has the best fights (even on the Desert Borderlands).

also

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like the center objective to blast open or vastly weaken every enemy door on the map, but that's about the only thing it has going for it, it's a way too big a maze full of confusing paths and gimmicky jump pads and teleporters that can be hard to tell which team has access to until you get to them.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 30, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Softface posted:

This is def not why the new maps are empty.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I really hope WvW gets populated again someday/somehow. I just want 24/7 ANet alterac valley... is that too much to ask?! :smith:

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

We're getting large fights on EBG at least half of the time at US prime time. It will be even better when we move to Tier 2 as AnacondaHL mentioned.

Quitte
Nov 2, 2011

nee-deep

Yup, WvW on Maguuma is pretty good again

https://gfycat.com/HelpfulBewitchedFluke

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Quitte posted:

Yup, WvW on Maguuma is pretty good again

https://gfycat.com/HelpfulBewitchedFluke

It's missing the gold golem with Cletus inside telling everyone how to win

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Mike O'Brien posted:

Hi all,

This week we’re completing dev work and starting integration for the upcoming Spring Quarterly Update, which we’re preparing to launch in mid- to late April. It’s a busy week making sure everything comes together right and hits our quality bar.

I know that the discussion around legendary weapons is still fresh on everyone’s mind. But as we’re locking in the contents of the quarterly update, there are some specific things I should tell you about today.

The quarterly update will include changes to Fractals, and among those will be changes to the tiering structure. We’ll have to retire two of the current achievements, Casual Fractal Hero and Core Fractal Hero. While we’ll introduce new achievements to replace the ones we’re retiring, any progress made toward the old achievements will not count toward the new ones. If you’ve been working toward the old achievements, you have a few weeks or so left to wrap them up.

With the quarterly update we’ll also reduce scribing costs across-the-board. Here are some of the ways that will happen. We’ll reduce material costs on recipes: for example the Basic Ink Set will no longer require a Simple Ink Set, and each Sandpaper recipe will now require less Sand. Reducing the demand for basic materials will reduce their prices. We’ll add significant new supplies of Resonating Slivers, so that they no longer serve as a barrier to scribes who don’t have a guild supporting them. And we’ll increase drop rates of certain other components. These are going to be impactful changes, so we want to give you this advance notice, and encourage you to consider pausing here and waiting for the quarterly update before doing a lot of new scribing.

Two weeks ago we polled the WvW community about Desert versus Alpine borderlands. The majority of players asked us to bring Alpine back. We’ll do that. It actually takes quite a bit of time to dust off old content and bring it up to the current game state, so it won’t happen in time for the quarterly release. Instead we’ll launch the quarterly update with improvements to Desert, use that as an opportunity to get the community’s feedback on those changes, then we’ll swap to Alpine when it’s ready. Changing borderlands maps like this will disrupt matches in progress, but we think that making changes on live servers, where everyone can test, is worth the cost.

I wanted to give this early heads-up about these areas. You already know quite a bit more about the things we’re working on for the April Quarterly Update, but I’ll stop here for now. I think our jobs are to delight you with what we ship, not with big talk or big promises. So hang tight. Release day will be here soon enough.

Mo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Two weeks ago we polled the WvW community about Desert versus Alpine borderlands. The majority of players asked us to bring Alpine back. We’ll do that. It actually takes quite a bit of time to dust off old content and bring it up to the current game state, so it won’t happen in time for the quarterly release. Instead we’ll launch the quarterly update with improvements to Desert, use that as an opportunity to get the community’s feedback on those changes, then we’ll swap to Alpine when it’s ready. Changing borderlands maps like this will disrupt matches in progress, but we think that making changes on live servers, where everyone can test, is worth the cost.

:unsmith:

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
The best update of the expansion is when they roll back part of the expansion

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

The best update of the expansion is when they roll back part of the expansion

I wish I could be a big boy MMO dev and get my payment for loving up, then fixing the very things I hosed up

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Oh finally, some concrete good news. Maybe I can finally make some cool statues and cushions without spending a fortune.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wasn't the original plan to rotate between the two WvW maps anyway? Wouldn't you want to keep the old updated to current specs if that were true?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I'd like them to still be able to use the desert maps somehow. Just tossing huge maps like that'd suck. Maybe rotation or something. I mean yeah the maps need fixed, but at the same time alpine is kinda dull and boring.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Set the DR model in a devastated battlefield map, add gates throughout the city, do a White Mantle/bandits vs Krytan forces siege and try really hard to make Logan single again with some regicide

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
What's the problem with the new maps?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

Set the DR model in a devastated battlefield map, add gates throughout the city, do a White Mantle/bandits vs Krytan forces siege and try really hard to make Logan single again with some regicide

If they killed Logan he'd be single and there would be one less boring character. Do it Anet!

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

malhavok posted:

I play on a high tier server, so there's no problem with them. Not sure why anyone's complaining.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

malhavok posted:

Imagine if you were forced to PVP on a map 4x as big and it takes 2x longer to get to strategic points, but it was still 5v5.

That's the basic summary of the strategic problem with the new maps. The towers hold such little value due to their positioning, and it takes too long to get to anywhere so things like defensive rotations suffer heavily. Shrines seem like they were designed to make movement faster but they infact don't do anything (buff doesn't stack with swiftness boon) so instead they are just a PvE roadblock. There was also the problem with game-breaking lag during the Oasis event, which had to finally be removed just a little while back.

The other problem is nostalgia and a bunch of whiny baby gamers, but that's a different topic.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
drat.

I didn't like Desert, but I sure don't want to see Alpine again.
Would be nice to find a middle ground.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

treizebee posted:

drat.

I didn't like Desert, but I sure don't want to see Alpine again.
Would be nice to find a middle ground.

Uh, like a forest? Tundra?

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I meant the actual maps, not the weather.

Desert reminded me too much of EOTM, and it is too massive. Alpine...I can count the blades of grass I've run loops around that map so many times.

e : If they took the canyon side of the Desert BL, expanded it a bit, added a few more bridges and walkways. Hell yes.

treizebee fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 30, 2016

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
*Biome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Borderlands are dumb scrap them and just have 3 EBG style maps. I could draw these maps in ms paint in like 1 hour if A.Net needs help.

• Locked thread