Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Panderfringe posted:

I'm not throwing them in the garbage. I was going to give them to the kids at my LGS.

It's also not even close to the same as having actual money. Nobody will buy them off me for their full value, or even half value probably. At best I could trade with them, but the only card I want right now is Jace. And a playset of Khalitas would get me at most one copy of Jace, and that's if anyone is willing to trade for that.

But if they're worthwhile for the new standard then I'll probably dig aroun for them.

I mean if you're really just gonna junk them I'd offer you $65 through paypal or w/e for a playset.

Also assuming Eye is the ban in modern, does anyone see any way an eldrazi deck is still viable? I tried messing around a bit trying to go back to the versions that were popping up before Oath but they feel so clunky. In theory it seems stuff like Thought Knot and Reality Smasher should be good enough to have some place in modern, but I'm having a difficult time seeing where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Chinese uh...uh....uh..... find a way.

https://twitter.com/XemitSellsMagic/status/715194924191363073

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alansmithee posted:

I mean if you're really just gonna junk them I'd offer you $65 through paypal or w/e for a playset.

Also assuming Eye is the ban in modern, does anyone see any way an eldrazi deck is still viable? I tried messing around a bit trying to go back to the versions that were popping up before Oath but they feel so clunky. In theory it seems stuff like Thought Knot and Reality Smasher should be good enough to have some place in modern, but I'm having a difficult time seeing where.

B/W Eldraxi was a thing for a bit, you'll lose out on some absurd hands though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I have heard about these but never seen one. Supposedly this particular printer sells these cards at 5 bucks a piece and the only test it fails is the loupe test. As someone else said on twitter, someone could really lose out big time moving new fetches this way.

I like where this is going a lot.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

alansmithee posted:

There's a processor-centric build which is nowhere near as good as the current absurdities that will likely persist. That build benefits by running some of the best sideboard hate in the format maindeck like RIPs. It also runs Maps to grab temples.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im not surprised

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

I have heard about these but never seen one. Supposedly this particular printer sells these cards at 5 bucks a piece and the only test it fails is the loupe test. As someone else said on twitter, someone could really lose out big time moving new fetches this way.

I like where this is going a lot.

I browse ali express now and then. I know two local people whose curiosity got the better of them recently and ordered some "proxies" In both cases they were rubbish. I'm not sure how people are finding these high quality ones. I've handled/seen several different cards and they've all been poor quality, paper is not the right thickness, stiffness, texture, colors are off enough to tell. etc. I'd still like to see a good fake.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

I browse ali express now and then. I know two local people whose curiosity got the better of them recently and ordered some "proxies" In both cases they were rubbish. I'm not sure how people are finding these high quality ones. I've handled/seen several different cards and they've all been poor quality, paper is not the right thickness, stiffness, texture, colors are off enough to tell. etc. I'd still like to see a good fake.

It is really easy to cheap out and order bad quality fakes and that has never changed.

Well, we have argued this like a million times at this point but the only thing that matters when it comes to fakes is how it is in a sleeve. Are the colors right? Is the thickness close enough that it doesn't feel different in the sleeve? Did the printer make a glaringly obvious mistake like messing up mana symbols, set symbol, or getting the drat rarity wrong? If not, congrats, you paid 4-5 bucks for an outrageously expensive card that you can now play in whatever event you want, because your card isn't exiting the sleeve.

I honestly don't care about the "feel" of a card personally because if a fake is easy to spot by the "feel" then it makes trading them harder and I am all for that.

Good fakes are harder to buy at the moment however. The issue is that Ali Express and every other website like it will eventually remove stores as they get reported by the WOTC. This means that all of the sellers on there are only going to be be up for a few weeks and then reappear with another name later. A lot of these stores are also just re-sellers and not the actual creators, so supply runs out and things are varying quality. They also steal each others advertisements so its hard as gently caress to figure out who is who.

There are things like skype contracts to figure out the above but that is also hit or miss due to language barriers and time zone differences.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Can't judges check your cards out-of-sleeve in a deckcheck to see if they're fake?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Can't judges check your cards out-of-sleeve in a deckcheck to see if they're fake?

First you would have to think to yourself "Why in the holy hell a judge would ever do that?"

They are already crunched for time to do deck checks and they are more concerned with your cards matching your decklist. And what judge in their right mind wants to try and de-sleeve your expensive rear end modern/legacy cards and have some player rage on them?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 30, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Judges are never going looking for fake cards unless they have a reason. They mostly just want to get the deckcheck done as quickly as possible.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

First you would have to think to yourself why in the holy hell a judge would ever do that.

Beyond that, time is a real issue. Judges are overworked as is, and deck checking already delays events. Imagine how much more time unsleeving and resleeving a deck would add to that process. It just doesn't make sense for them to do it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Judge, examining a legacy player's deck: Why yes, I will remove each underground sea from their double sleeves to determine authenticity.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

There are things like skype contracts to figure out the above but that is also hit or miss due to language barriers and time zone differences.

People should really know better than to make contracts when magic is involved.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chill la Chill posted:

Judge, examining a legacy player's deck: Why yes, I will remove each underground sea from their double sleeves to determine authenticity.
Hmm yes these colors are off and that is definitely not from being over 20 loving years old and spending a large amount of time in light and changing temperature/humidity.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

And ask a high level judge how they feel about being the protectors of WOTC intellectual property after the last fiasco. (not that a high level judge is going to do your deck check)

Simply don't bring a terrible fake to a competitive tournament or tell people your know IRL that you have fakes and you will be more than fine in any setting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Hmm yes these colors are off and that is definitely not from being over 20 loving years old and spending a large amount of time in light and changing temperature/humidity.

I am laughing at people looking at the ugin on twitter and saying "of course its fake, look how dark it is" yet cards from all 3 of the newest sets is going to have card printing in various lighter or darker prints. That is just the variance you get in printing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

And ask a high level judge how they feel about being the protectors of WOTC intellectual property after the last fiasco. (not that a high level judge is going to do your deck check)

Simply don't bring a terrible fake to a competitive tournament or tell people your know IRL that you have fakes and you will be more than fine in any setting.

Seriously, and with constructed GP's costing 70 bux to enter now, I feel less and less motivated to protect the value of WOTCs cardboard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm actually an expert in detecting card fakes*

*once i've been told they're fake.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I am laughing at people looking at the ugin on twitter and saying "of course its fake, look how dark it is" yet cards from all 3 of the newest sets is going to have card printing in various lighter or darker prints. That is just the variance you get in printing.

yeah i have three copies of thoughtseize, all of which i opened from theros boosters myself, and one has a lighter print to a garish degree when you put them side by side

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do cards from Intro/Event decks still have a noticeably different color tone and gloss to them? I know they all did for the longest time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ugh. These are going to make everyone's legacy collections worthless, aren't they...

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Entropic posted:

I'm actually an expert in detecting card fakes*

*once i've been told they're fake.

The greatest moment in this thread was when someone posted a picture of four cards and said spot the fake, everyone gave well-reasoned answers on par with "seen a few shops in my time, the pixels" and then it was revealed that they were all fakes. Immediately after the reveal a bunch of posters came in and said "that's what I was gonna say, actually."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'll be able to play Legacy just as soon as proxies are good enough to emulate damaged as gently caress 200 dollar Volcanic Islands.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

mcmagic posted:

Ugh. These are going to make everyone's legacy collections worthless, aren't they...

One can only hope

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

I'll be able to play Legacy just as soon as proxies are good enough to emulate damaged as gently caress 200 dollar Volcanic Islands.

Scribble some ink and crayons on it and say you and your brother played back in preschool.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sharzak posted:

The greatest moment in this thread was when someone posted a picture of four cards and said spot the fake, everyone gave well-reasoned answers on par with "seen a few shops in my time, the pixels" and then it was revealed that they were all fakes. Immediately after the reveal a bunch of posters came in and said "that's what I was gonna say, actually."

Or most people just said 'you cant tell with lovely iphone pictures we need scans' to which the poster claimed that Asking For Scans Just Proved His Point I Was The Puppetmaster All Along

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah like, how do you determine if a card is fake

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

you burn it and if the smoke isn't blue it's a fake.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Here I'm going to edit in a Guide To Spotting Fakes along with some pictures of Actual Good Fakes and how to tell. It isn't complete atm because I dont want to go out to my car to get my loupe so here's some easy ways to tell.

1) Ignore the bend, water, and tear tests. They're either destructive or not actually nearly as conclusive as you'd think

2) Take the card out of the sleeve and feel it. You've felt magic cards before. This can oftentimes spot fakes - they'll be particularly oily, or rough, in ways that real cards aren't. The exception here is that some supplemental
set and foreign language cards can feel weird anyway.
3) Get a loupe. 15 bucks on amazon. This one is good because it has a light and a black light.

4) When you look at a card under a loupe, check for a few things - A) check the dot pattern. I'll have an example here of the type of patterns WotC uses. B) check the text. This is the most common test cards fail: if the text isn't printed on a separate layer, it's fake. If you can see ink dots in the text, it's fake.

5) Put the normal light behind the card. You should be able to see the actual lines of the border through the card. If it looks uniform, it's fake.

6) Put the UV light on the card, next to a card you know is real. Fakes will look way more light than real cards.

Now, there's some actual good fakes around. Take this one I came across at a GP -

No, this didn't fail the bend test or anything. It was bent on purpose so people wouldn't try to trade for it.

It passes test 4B and 4A. Honestly, this was mostly given away by feel. The only thing we could find was this

If you missed it (because everyone did), "Mono Artifact" should also have solid printed lines on the outside border of the letters. So yes, there are good fakes out there. Feeling the cards out of sleeve catches most of them. A loupe will catch nearly any other.

http://imgur.com/a/xSYfd (full album of the fake)

As a final note, when I get my scanner working I'll show this, but if you have a card already and are unsure if it's fake, scanning it will tell. Fakes get scan lines that real cards don't.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 30, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Taste it for Richard Garfield's essence.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Obviously they just switch to only foils being legal in non-Standard formats and for cards in sets where foils were never issued, just allow copies of Revised Plains with the words "UNDERGROUND SEA" written in Sharpie on them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sharzak posted:

Its because of all their experience working at a comic shop. A comic shop; the poster child for businesses that employ smart, capable people.

mcmagic posted:

Probably won't considering that the real legacy cards you own have the classic 20 years of wear on them that is the hardest thing to fake. If printers get common enough, these cards will be worth the most or at least will be the easiest to move.

Speaking of, went to a LGS in the Sherman, Tx area over the weekend with an old buddy of mine on the way to play at another store. The store was actually the nicest for the area although it wasn't the most popular one. They had a really nice collection of old cards that brought back memories of the old days (If you lived in north texas, Bib Bobs was iconic). I did however notice that they had a HUGE supply of zendikar fetches. I am talking each one was a hinged bcw cardbox full to the brim of them. By far the most stocked card type they had in the entire shop. You could agree with my shock when I noticed that all the cards on top were perfect, mint condition. I asked him if he had a lot of these mint condition fetches and he said that most in all those piles were mint. :allears:

So yeah, if you live in that area be careful in old expensive cards you buy from fantasy quest. Be wary of any shop that has tons of mint old stuff that isn't SCG.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 30, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Its because of all their experience working at a comic shop. A comic shop; the poster child for businesses that employ smart, capable people.

Probably won't considering that the real legacy cards you own have the classic 20 years of wear on them that is the hardest thing to fake. If printers get common enough, these cards will be worth the most or at least will be the easiest to move.

Speaking of, went to a LGS in the Sherman, Tx area over the weekend with an old buddy of mine on the way to play at another store. The store was actually the nicest for the area although it wasn't the most popular one. They had a really nice collection of old cards that brought back memories of the old days (If you lived in north texas, Bib Bobs was iconic). I did however notice that they had a HUGE supply of zendikar fetches. I am talking each one was a hinged bcw cardbox full to the brim of them. By far the most stocked card type they had in the entire shop. You could agree with my shock when I noticed that all the cards on top were perfect, mint condition. I asked him if he had a lot of these mint condition fetches and he said that most in all those piles were mint. :allears:

So yeah, if you live in that area be careful in old expensive cards you buy from fantasy quest. Be wary of any shop that has tons of mint old stuff that isn't SCG.

I buy legacy cards almost exclusively from SCG's Played Case and from Goons.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I buy legacy cards almost exclusively from SCG's Played Case and from Goons.

Don't look too closely at those Tron cards I sent you.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Don't look too closely at those Tron cards I sent you.

Heh, they are gonna be worthless in about 5 days anyway.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Here I'm going to edit in a Guide To Spotting Fakes along with some pictures of Actual Good Fakes and how to tell. It isn't complete atm because I dont want to go out to my car to get my loupe so here's some easy ways to tell.

1) Ignore the bend, water, and tear tests. They're either destructive or not actually nearly as conclusive as you'd think

2) Take the card out of the sleeve and feel it. You've felt magic cards before. This can oftentimes spot fakes - they'll be particularly oily, or rough, in ways that real cards aren't. The exception here is that some supplemental
set and foreign language cards can feel weird anyway.
3) Get a loupe. 15 bucks on amazon. This one is good because it has a light and a black light.

4) When you look at a card under a loupe, check for a few things - A) check the dot pattern. I'll have an example here of the type of patterns WotC uses. B) check the text. This is the most common test cards fail: if the text isn't printed on a separate layer, it's fake. If you can see ink dots in the text, it's fake.

5) Put the normal light behind the card. You should be able to see the actual lines of the border through the card. If it looks uniform, it's fake.

6) Put the UV light on the card, next to a card you know is real. Fakes will look way more light than real cards.

Now, there's some actual good fakes around. Take this one I came across at a GP -

No, this didn't fail the bend test or anything. It was bent on purpose so people wouldn't try to trade for it.

It passes test 4B and 4A. Honestly, this was mostly given away by feel. The only thing we could find was this

If you missed it (because everyone did), "Mono Artifact" should also have solid printed lines on the outside border of the letters. So yes, there are good fakes out there. Feeling the cards out of sleeve catches most of them. A loupe will catch nearly any other.

http://imgur.com/a/xSYfd (full album of the fake)

As a final note, when I get my scanner working I'll show this, but if you have a card already and are unsure if it's fake, scanning it will tell. Fakes get scan lines that real cards don't.

neat

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You guys do realize the "Eye of Ugin is banned on the MTGO beta" thing is wrong right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Looming ahead of him was a towering archway, tall enough that six Jaces stacked head to toe could have fit through.

I want to die.

• Locked thread