Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think Urbit is a reflection of Moldbug's politics so much as it comes from the same traits as the ones that lead him to his politics (contrarianism, obscurantism).
It no doubt comes from similar traits, but Urbit is definitely an attempt to strengthen the ability to Exit, auto-enforce sovereignty/property rights at the level of architecture, and so on. It follows far more cleanly from his political theory than the actually existing Alt-Right does.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Apparently the /lgbt/ board is actually not terrible and they already had this idea and even have a name for the closeted / in denial transpeople who lurk the traps threads ("egg mode", she has no idea why).
"Egg mode" seems pretty straightforward - they haven't hatched yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cingulate posted:

Surprise isn't the real word. Astonishment?

Being technically correct, but unhelpful is kind of my thing you see.

Acknowledging the problem is only step one.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
^^^Problem? Being a terrible person who couldn't survive in public is Cingulate's gimmick.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'm a highschool dropout with autism so severe I couldn't speak until I was 8

That still makes me significantly more qualified to speak on matters of human behavior and sexuality than you

Not an empty quote.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, who was that guy who advocated that massively homophobic gay-separatist ideology based on the (heavily fictionalised) example of the Spartans?

This is an archetype that dates back to the 19th century and will last at least until the 23rd century.

Cingulate posted:

Matt Forney?

No he's the anthromorphic personification of twitter egg randos

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

hackbunny posted:

Someone (Parallel Paraplegic?) theorized that the obsession with "traps" stems from the idea of creating women untainted by innate "dirty" femininity, and I was trying to agree with him. I don't think the alt right is entirely composed of 100% heterosexual men as commonly assumed, I think they have a certain degree of variance, that tends to manifest in unique unhealthy identities like "trap" (the tumblr left doesn't have a monopoly on unique unhealthy identities) because everything has to be framed in a certain ideology

The intellectual San Francisco end of neoreaction is gay as hell.

Let me remind you Tumblr rated me four and a half neutron stars out of five, I know degeneracy when I see it.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Hentai. No joke.

I thought that was futarchy. :rimshot:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cingulate posted:

I actually have no intuitions on women.

Behold my feigned surprise.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, who was that guy who advocated that massively homophobic gay-separatist ideology based on the (heavily fictionalised) example of the Spartans?

http://man2manalliance.org

Possibly this? (Massively NSFW)

As a classicist, I don't really know where to begin with a critique of the awful analyses of Greek homosexuality with this one.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Surprise isn't the real word. Astonishment?

Being technically correct, but unhelpful is kind of my thing you see.

:(

Don't worry eventually you'll outgrow shame and become fishmech.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Terrible Opinions posted:

Don't worry eventually you'll outgrow shame and become fishmech.

I talk with fishmech on steam, and he is less annoying by cingulate by orders of magnitude, so this would be a legit good thing

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Hellequin posted:

http://man2manalliance.org

Possibly this? (Massively NSFW)

As a classicist, I don't really know where to begin with a critique of the awful analyses of Greek homosexuality with this one.

FIDELITY

AND

FROT*!

*phallus-on-phallus sex, which is not only life-affirming and masculine but mindful of both participants' shared and mutual enjoyment.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Nessus posted:

He's been dead for twenty-six years!

Haha, I was thinking of Steven Pinker. Oops.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When I'm invited on the Colbert Report in 2017, I'll summarize Steven Pinker in 5 words: the curly-haired anti-Skinner.
Starting with The Blank Slate, Pinkers books are basically anti-behaviorist anti-Skinner pamphlets.

Also, in most likely a very calculated attempt to achieve Peak This Thread, Sam Harris and Yud are writing a book together right now. I assume in a shocking turn of events, it will be about a Muslim artificial intelligence that destroys the world.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Can we bring this thread together and agree with Sensei Patrick that if you turn a girl's squirrel inside out, you basically have a crank?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cingulate posted:

Also, in most likely a very calculated attempt to achieve Peak This Thread, Sam Harris and Yud are writing a book together right now. I assume in a shocking turn of events, it will be about a Muslim artificial intelligence that destroys the world.

Do we know for sure it's Yudkowsky he's collaborating with? All I can find on the subject is this /r/samharris thread, which says "He mentioned that he was collaborating with an AI expert who had not attended college, whom I believe to be Eliezer Yudkowsky of MIRI." Harris is aware of Yudkowsky.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

Do we know for sure it's Yudkowsky he's collaborating with? All I can find on the subject is this /r/samharris thread, which says "He mentioned that he was collaborating with an AI expert who had not attended college, whom I believe to be Eliezer Yudkowsky of MIRI." Harris is aware of Yudkowsky.
Yes, he just said it in his podcast.

Which you should all listen to. You guys would love the part where he first complained about being called a white supremacist, then talked about how one zip code in NY has produced more knowledge than the entire muslim world and how 15 million Jews create much more value for the world than the entire muslim world, and then complained about being called a white supremacist again.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

One of the things I've loved about New Atheism is PZ criticizing Harris. Now, I look forward for the full force of Pharyngula to be turned against Yud.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reflections85 posted:

One of the things I've loved about New Atheism is PZ criticizing Harris. Now, I look forward for the full force of Pharyngula to be turned against Yud.
I've never seen any criticism of Sam Harris that was actually fair. Is this?

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Cingulate posted:

I think from your previous comments you would not consider any of PZ's criticisms of Harris fair.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reflections85 posted:

I think from your previous comments you would not consider any of PZ's criticisms of Harris fair.
A remarkably thoughtful answer. Guess I will have to google them myself :colbert:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Cingulate posted:

I've never seen any criticism of Sam Harris that was actually fair.

Cingulate posted:

he first complained about being called a white supremacist, then talked about how one zip code in NY has produced more knowledge than the entire muslim world and how 15 million Jews create much more value for the world than the entire muslim world, and then complained about being called a white supremacist again.

You are a confusing person sometimes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

You are a confusing person sometimes.
I like to fancy myself a complex, multi-facetted character. That, or I'm too lazy to come up with anything coherent.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Have you ever read any criticism of anyone that you thought was fair? I appreciate that you're well-informed on some issues but I swear you'd pop up demanding intellectual rigor in a thread criticizing Trump for being racist.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cingulate posted:

Yes, he just said it in his podcast.
Which you should all listen to. You guys would love the part where he first complained about being called a white supremacist, then talked about how one zip code in NY has produced more knowledge than the entire muslim world and how 15 million Jews create much more value for the world than the entire muslim world, and then complained about being called a white supremacist again.

i tried and muzz-lims muzz-lims lasted thirty seconds muzz-lims muzz-lims before I smashed my computer to bits muzz-lims with a toffee hammer. muzz-lims muzz-lims muzz-lims Skipped through it on a second more durable computer muzz-lims and couldn't spot it. muzz-lims muzz-lims What's the timestamp for the Yudkowsky bit? muzz-lims muzz-lims

edit: it's from 51:02 on. muzz-lims muzz-lims It's going to be a dialogue-based book (a.k.a. two ignoramuses who know big words pontificate) about the ethical implications of artificial general muzz-lim intellgences. muzz-lims muzz-lims muzz-lims

divabot has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Mar 30, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
SO glad I didn't see Zoolander 2. I cannot, in good conscience, support Ben Stiller if he's going to spout poo poo like that.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Goon 1: Is that a duck?

Goon 2: Well it looks like a duck, it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...

*Cingulate kramers into thread*

Cingulate: Whoa whoa whoa, have you considered that this green-headed, yellow-beaked, brown-bodied waterfowl might have once talked about preferring certain geese in elections?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Goon 1: Is that a duck?

Goon 2: Well it looks like a duck, it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...

*Cingulate kramers into thread*

Cingulate: Whoa whoa whoa, have you considered that this green-headed, yellow-beaked, brown-bodied waterfowl might have once talked about preferring certain geese in elections?

:golfclap:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/715002548537712640

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The posters in this thread are all dangerous.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I will agree that Moldbug is harmless in that he's a little string bean nerd that I could totally beat up :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

The posters in this thread are all dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxHgVBpKNEo

(guys you don't understand rev knew a sjw who was a bad person once)

Edit: Alternatively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJUk45l4h8c

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolTerrasa posted:

Have you ever read any criticism of anyone that you thought was fair? I appreciate that you're well-informed on some issues but I swear you'd pop up demanding intellectual rigor in a thread criticizing Trump for being racist.
I don't know, maybe I would.
As a direct response to your question: yes; I think what you said here was a fair criticism of me. I think a lot of criticism of me in here is fair. But yes, I think hat's a good point.

In this case, I claim it's very obviously grossly off the mark to call Sam Harris, of all things, a white supremacist - particularly following up to him hyping up one type of semite (Jews) over another. Sam Harris isn't much to the right of say Hillary Clinton, and on many issues considerably to the left of her. He's to the left of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, too - by a lot. He's probably best described as a militant liberal. He'll say something like, "profiling can be okay, for example, literally Seinfeld is not going to blow up a plane". This is cited as "Sam Harris demands well-off white men like him should not be searched, but dark-skinned poor people should, he's racist". Harris elaborates: he means literally Seinfeld should not be searched, anybody who quite clearly is not jihadists should not be profiled, but somebody like Sam Harris himself - male, mid age, vaguely middle eastern looking - is not per default out of the profile. And you can criticize this easily, such as by arguing that then, terrorists will start focusing on children, their few blonde or east asian recruits, start masquerading as Christian, or that a component of absolute randomness is helpful for deterrence, or that this is an undue focus on islamist extremists which would open us up to other potentially dangerous groups. But instead, people simply repeat that he thinks rich white men like himself should be treated preferential.
And while it might be appropriate to call him an islamophobe, or a hawk, or a warmonger, or a divider, or someone who naively underestimates the complexities of international and intercultural relations, and so on, what we have him here being called is a white supremacist - him, a liberal, atheist, anti-Christian, Clinton-voting Jew. A white supremacist, so somebody like David Duke. Because somehow, an accusation is better the more extreme it is?..
Similarly, Scott is a weirdo and wrong and uninformed about AI and has terrible friends, but there are a ton of awful things it would simply be wrong to call him, such as fascist, stupid, neoreactionary, etc. Yud is uninformed about AI, is terrible at producing or appreciating literature and a blown-up windbag, and so on, but he's not particularly racist, NRx, and so on. There are some terms that should simply reserved for those who actually deserve them - such as Moldbug. Moldbug you can, I think, confidently call closely aligned with White Supremacism in practice.

But Sam Harris?
Would you really call that a reasonable criticism? It's just grossly exaggerating, ignorant misrepresentation, it just misses the mark. Andrew Gelman said about Noam Chomsky: he's surrounded by people who he can safely ignore; people who idolize him, and people who demonize him. Neither of which is gonna say anything worthwhile to or about him. And that's not how you get a reasonable debate going.

I'm pro open borders, against nation states, I vote hard left on everything, my main concern is climate change followed by global inequality, I'm a lifelong convinced leftist, and I'm just really displeased by our intellectual standards. That's my main worry. I actually have much higher demands for left-wing criticism of the right, because we must be better. We must, in a sense, win clean. If we get society to (keep) go(ing) our way based on bad arguments, it's questionable how much that is really worth.

And for what it's worth, I'm really self critical about this idea, too. I can list you a bunch of possible counterarguments about why I might possibly be wrong here. Maybe I'm horribly wrong. The best I can promise is that if you question this, I'll think about it, and be honest about where my biases are.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I will agree that Moldbug is harmless in that he's a little string bean nerd that I could totally beat up :colbert:
I'm very confident I could beat up: Ayn Rand, Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Goebbels, Moldbug, Scott, Noam Chomsky.
I'm less confident I could beat up: Aurini, the fat guy in the bathtub, Trump, young Chomsky.
I'm skeptical about : young Mao, Sam Harris, Goering, Christopher Hitchens.

Like, I'd murder Hitler in a fair fight. No contest. I could probably beat up Scott and Hitler at the same time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Shut the gently caress up Cingulate

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

When I'm invited on the Colbert Report in 2017,

Hard to get invited to a show that ended a year and a half ago.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Hard to get invited to a show that ended a year and a half ago.
Yes, but besides for that tiny hindrance, I am quite confident I will be invited on the same show as President Obama next year to talk about the most important person in my field. I'm worrying daily about what I'll wear.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
New video from my favorite handsome babyfaced man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpgBkpb7xlU

You can tell it's feminist because there are WOMZ in it

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

I'm very confident I could beat up: Stalin
I'm less confident I could beat up: Aurini

You are an undiagnosed mental retard. I have a lot of evidence to back this up now.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

You are an undiagnosed mental retard. I have a lot of evidence to back this up now.
Stalin was like 5'4 and Aurini was in some form of military. I'm not a strong man.
Also we don't say "mental retardation" anymore and it's considered one of the most offensive words, we say "Intellectual disability" now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Being in the military doesn't mean you can fight, retard

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

Being in the military doesn't mean you can fight, retard
Yeah, but as I said, I'm not a strong man myself. Aurini doesn't look obviously physically disabled, so I'm not saying I'm confident I could beat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wanamingo posted:

New video from my favorite handsome babyfaced man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpgBkpb7xlU

You can tell it's feminist because there are WOMZ in it

"RESPECT MY VAGINA".

Also, Jesus Christ I keep forgetting how absolutely horrendous Thunderfzerozerot is to look at.