Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pathos posted:

So wait -- when does the beta start? Are you guaranteed access if you bought Wolf? Or is it just a small subset, like the alpha?

You're guaranteed access if you redeemed the code that came with Wolf TNO (assuming you bought a physical copy, no idea how digital copies worked). The beta starts tomorrow.

I got emailed my download code for the Xbox One beta last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xenomrph posted:

You're guaranteed access if you redeemed the code that came with Wolf TNO (assuming you bought a physical copy, no idea how digital copies worked). The beta starts tomorrow.

I got emailed my download code for the Xbox One beta last night.

Digital copies were automatic registration if you preordered or bought Wolf:TNO in the first couple of days (I think). I don't remember if I preordered it but I am in the beta. :shrug:

e: or maybe I'm wrong??? The site says I'll be getting a code, so who knows.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 30, 2016

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The Doom Closed Beta client appeared in my steam library so I'm installing it. I didn't preorder wolfenstein and I bought it over a year after it came out so I don't know why I have an invite but I'll take it I guess!

Was playing Doom 3 with sikkmod, it's an ok game I think. It's not trying to be Doom 1 or 2 which makes it not as bad. Doom 4 is trying to be a doom mod that gets old after 20 minutes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Overbite posted:

Was playing Doom 3 with sikkmod, it's an ok game I think. It's not trying to be Doom 1 or 2 which makes it not as bad. Doom 4 is trying to be a doom mod that gets old after 20 minutes.

I like how definite your opinion is before you even played it.

Also brutal doom is really awesome from beginning to end.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
the alpha MP was fun i am gonna play the beta :D ok thx

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don't know how robust the beta will be or if you'll be able to make parties or invite friends (it was hit or miss in the Alpha) but my XBL gamer tag is Xenomrph 01 if any of you suckers want to goon it up in the beta.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how definite your opinion is before you even played it.

Also brutal doom is really awesome from beginning to end.

Yeah brutal doom is awesome from beginning to when you end it, 20 minutes later.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Zaphod42 posted:

:rip: this game

The loadouts, the slow movement, its straight Halo/COD. Everything I didn't want.

You said it. Whatever interest I had in this game is vaning rapidly. Is it really so risky to release a game with oldschool fast gameplay? I'd vager they stand a better chance at success doing something "unique" than try to hussle in on the Halo market.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Saying something is "straight Halo/COD" is the dumbest poo poo because those are very different games that play very differently despite being the same genre.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GyverMac posted:

You said it. Whatever interest I had in this game is vaning rapidly. Is it really so risky to release a game with oldschool fast gameplay? I'd vager they stand a better chance at success doing something "unique" than try to hussle in on the Halo market.

why are people still surprised by this

while people are using gamepads it's going to be this way forever.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Saying something is "straight Halo/COD" is the dumbest poo poo because those are very different games that play very differently despite being the same genre.

they're both slow, have load outs and are designed for play with gamepads i.e. bad

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
90s gamers tears itt

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

There's always the single-player which has tons of guns you can select with number keys baby, that oughta tickle their fancy!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

That was absolutely true of Halo 1-3 and ODST and Reach, under Bungie.

Have you played Halo in the last like 4 years? Both Halo 4 and Halo 5 are dramatically different than classic Halo and very much tried to emulate COD. That's why people say that.

In fact, 4 was massively criticized for completely abandoning what made Halo Halo, and just copying COD, to the point where its online player count plummeted like a loving rock. 5 is better but only marginally.

GyverMac posted:

Yeah I'm so bummed about this.

The new Unreal Tournament is actually old-school and feels loving good to play though, and its free, so I guess I'll just go do some of that instead. I think publishers think its really risky but publishers don't seem to really understand what gamers want at all, so that's par for the course. Epic can do it as a side-project open demo thing so they don't have to commit to it, its just a demo for UDK, so that way they can do whatever they want.

But man, when the new UT first went live, people got EXCITED about that poo poo. How did Doom completely miss that? There are still people who want arena shooters but there's almost no competition anymore, you could completely dominate the market with a proper AAA one.

Bethesda doesn't want my money I guess but Epic is happy to provide me what I want for free.

Hopefully the DOOM campaign is good, but the MP being so lovely really makes me re-think buying this at any point. Maybe I'll wait and read reviews or get it on discount later? :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 30, 2016

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Every single video that's come out featuring the MP looks like it's much more in line with quake 3 than halo, halo is far far slower an experience than what the videos have been showing off of dooms multiplayer.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
quake is noted for firefights that consist of dudes running on the ground and having loadouts

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Unless running around with the no damage starting gun is the defining bit of a game to you, seems odd to mention loadouts in every post talking about the feel of the gameplay.

My first online shooter was Quake 2, I see a lot of similarities in how this plays compared to that. Maybe it's more like Quake 2 than Quake 3, since Q3 had insane speed. This multiplayer looks badass. I also don't see what makes the UT alpha gameplay leagues better, but hey everybody is looking for different stuff. In all these games you're running around rubik's cubes shooting eachother with a big shotgun or rocket launcher, I think this looks like another fine entry.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXiTMiSJ5-E

In this video:-

Constant use of the rocket launcher? check

All resources are pickups and nothing is recharged? check

fast turning around and constant momentum of run and gun movement? check

Double jumping and vertical climbing and platform jumping? check.

chaos causing powerups (demon rune)? check.

I mean come on guys I agree that the power suits and loadout systems are definite ripoffs of halo everything else in the gameplay shown here reminds me very much of quake 3, with the big omission of bounce pads and launchers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al-Saqr posted:

Every single video that's come out featuring the MP looks like it's much more in line with quake 3 than halo, halo is far far slower an experience than what the videos have been showing off of dooms multiplayer.

Have you seen Halo 5? Its actually faster than Doom is.
Unreal and Quake Live are in another league entirely.
Even COD these days is very fast, BLOPS3 has jetpacks on every single player.

I'm not at all trying to be ridiculous when I say this is really slow.

Heavy Metal posted:

Unless running around with the no damage starting gun is the defining bit of a game to you, seems odd to mention loadouts in every post talking about the feel of the gameplay.

My first online shooter was Quake 2, I see a lot of similarities in how this plays compared to that. Maybe it's more like Quake 2 than Quake 3, since Q3 had insane speed. This multiplayer looks badass. I also don't see what makes the UT alpha gameplay leagues better, but hey everybody is looking for different stuff. In all these games you're running around rubik's cubes shooting eachother with a big shotgun or rocket launcher, I think this looks like another fine entry.

UT alpha gameplay is leagues better because you're 3x faster so hitting people actually takes skill and circle strafing to dodge fire is actually a thing you can do.

DOOM is so neutered for console controls that you can't do either of those things, its just walking around using auto-aim to blast people as you come across them, like CODBLOPS.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Ok, I will admit I haven't seen anything of Halo 5, I guess we should just wait until the beta is out and then we'll have a clearer Idea of what's up.

I will also agree that the worst thing to happen to FPS in a long time is when they now have to account for gamepads and how slow they are.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Unreal and Quake Live are in another league entirely.
Even COD these days is very fast, BLOPS3 has jetpacks on every single player.

UT alpha gameplay is leagues better because you're 3x faster so hitting people actually takes skill and circle strafing to dodge fire is actually a thing you can do.

DOOM is so neutered for console controls that you can't do either of those things, its just walking around using auto-aim to blast people as you come across them, like CODBLOPS.

It doesn't look 3x faster to me, though it does look faster. And do you not like Quake 2 for example, a relatively slower movement speed game in the genre? For me personally, I don't mind the look of DOOM's movement speed (while still faster than Halo/Destiny/CoD). And I don't mind it being slower making it easier to hit people, watching high level Quake play and even the pros often can't hit eachother with a rail gun and use other guns instead. For me the perfect DM game would be slower than Quake 3 for example.

Pros will still be able to think quicker and aim better so it's not like it'll taken no skill to win. And I'm also not sure why this would be the main factor on if it's a fun game.

On the speed thing, how do you say CoD is very fast and say this game is really slow? Doesn't putting your gun down to run in CoD change that comparison quite a bit? In general this gameplay looks faster than the latest CoD to me.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 30, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

The looking around does appear 100x better in this because he's using KB&M instead of controller. (Holy poo poo why did they demo it on controllers :argh:)

But the moving is still too slow and there's still a ton that seems like it has the wrong design entirely. Its still too slow, it doesn't look like you can really dodge rockets even if you see them coming, which is dumb.

Loadouts were something Halo 4 tried and everybody hated it to death, to the point where Halo 5 removed it from Arena (and everybody loved that they did that). I don't know why you'd force loadouts on Doom after seeing somebody else go through the same struggle. Even Halo gamers didnt' like that, doing it in Doom right after Halo corrected it is really stupid.

Games like Doom should be all about learning the map and the spawn locations and loadouts cut down on that. Yeah "it makes it easier for newbies to get in" whatever, if the game isn't fun then nobody will bother to get into it either. Stop focusing entirely on newbies and actually make a game that people who play videogames might like.

Al-Saqr posted:

Admittedly this is very cool, I've said that demon powers are really cool all through this thread, but its never been a part of DOOM, its new. Not that its bad, its pretty drat good! But being able to play as a Revenant doesn't suddenly make this Doom more like it should be. If anything it makes it gimmickier.

Ironically though the Revenant actually has a good movement speed and looks like he could actually circle strafe and dodge rockets, but only one person is the revenant at a time and you only get like 30 seconds.

Heavy Metal posted:

It doesn't look 3x faster to me, though it does look faster. And do you not like Quake 2 for example, a relatively slower movement speed game in the genre? For me personally, I don't mind the look of DOOM's movement speed (while still faster than Halo/Destiny/CoD). And I don't mind it being slower making it easier to hit people, watching high level Quake play and even the pros often can't hit eachother with a rail gun and use other guns instead. For me the perfect DM game would be slower than Quake 3 for example.

Pros will still be able to think quicker and aim better so it's not like it'll taken no skill to win. And I'm also not sure why this would be the main factor on if it's a fun game.

On the speed thing, how do you say CoD is very fast and say this game is really slow? Doesn't putting your gun down to run in CoD change that comparison quite a bit? In general this gameplay looks faster than the latest CoD to me.

Yeah I'm looking back and while UT and Quake 3 are speed demons, Quake 2 and 4 are a bit slower and this isn't toooooo far away from Quake 2/4 (although still slower)

But the slow movement speed is just one of the things that's really turning me off.

As for it being the main factor, I dunno dude, in an FPS, especially a simple deathmatch arena FPS, the movement and shooting are EVERYTHING. Fundamentals are all there are. Quake 3 is a very simple game but it nails the feeling of flying around shooting people.

COD does make you slow down to ADS but the TTK is so fast that it doesn't matter, people die in like 2 bullets. And you can still fire from the hip, and everybody is constantly jetpacking around so its VERY high energy and fast paced. (That said its also very low-strategy and random so I'm not a fan really)

COD is specifically balanced for an "everybody has a fun time and everybody's a winner" mentality which works for brogamers but is pretty awful for anybody who is actually interested in competition.

Counter-strike has pretty slow movement and I'm fine with it, but its entirely balanced around it and the rest of the FPS aren't even in the same category effectively.

Arena shooters need high mobility or else its just whoever can line up a headshot fastest. You gotta be able to juke.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 30, 2016

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Quake 3 ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBc3-1Gbbo4

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

the map and pick up control part of arena shooters is in fact a defining piece of fun, yes

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean come on guys I agree that the power suits and loadout systems are definite ripoffs of halo everything else in the gameplay shown here reminds me very much of quake 3, with the big omission of bounce pads and launchers.

Jump pads are definitely a thing, there are a couple in the Heatwave map. Probably no huge launchers that fling you across the map like some Q3 maps though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zaphod42 posted:

The looking around does appear 100x better in this because he's using KB&M instead of controller. (Holy poo poo why did they demo it on controllers :argh:)

But the moving is still too slow and there's still a ton that seems like it has the wrong design entirely. Its still too slow, it doesn't look like you can really dodge rockets even if you see them coming, which is dumb.

Loadouts were something Halo 4 tried and everybody hated it to death, to the point where Halo 5 removed it from Arena (and everybody loved that they did that). I don't know why you'd force loadouts on Doom after seeing somebody else go through the same struggle. Even Halo gamers didnt' like that, doing it in Doom right after Halo corrected it is really stupid.

Games like Doom should be all about learning the map and the spawn locations and loadouts cut down on that. Yeah "it makes it easier for newbies to get in" whatever, if the game isn't fun then nobody will bother to get into it either. Stop focusing entirely on newbies and actually make a game that people who play videogames might like.

Admittedly this is very cool, I've said that demon powers are really cool all through this thread, but its never been a part of DOOM, its new. Not that its bad, its pretty drat good! But being able to play as a Revenant doesn't suddenly make this Doom more like it should be. If anything it makes it gimmickier.

Ironically though the Revenant actually has a good movement speed and looks like he could actually circle strafe and dodge rockets, but only one person is the revenant at a time and you only get like 30 seconds.

Yeah I'm looking back and while UT and Quake 3 are speed demons, Quake 2 and 4 are a bit slower and this isn't toooooo far away from Quake 2/4 (although still slower)

But the slow movement speed is just one of the things that's really turning me off.

As for it being the main factor, I dunno dude, in an FPS, especially a simple deathmatch arena FPS, the movement and shooting are EVERYTHING. Fundamentals are all there are. Quake 3 is a very simple game but it nails the feeling of flying around shooting people.

COD does make you slow down to ADS but the TTK is so fast that it doesn't matter, people die in like 2 bullets. And you can still fire from the hip, and everybody is constantly jetpacking around so its VERY high energy and fast paced. (That said its also very low-strategy and random so I'm not a fan really)

COD is specifically balanced for an "everybody has a fun time and everybody's a winner" mentality which works for brogamers but is pretty awful for anybody who is actually interested in competition.

Counter-strike has pretty slow movement and I'm fine with it, but its entirely balanced around it and the rest of the FPS aren't even in the same category effectively.

Arena shooters need high mobility or else its just whoever can line up a headshot fastest. You gotta be able to juke.
This is going to sound snarky and I genuinely don't intend it to, but are you going to play the beta? If you have a code and aren't going to use it, I have a friend who wants to play the beta and didn't buy Wolf TNO.

Really this goes for anyone else in the thread who has a beta code they aren't planning on using, honestly.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Yo Zaphod42;

It would be rad if you took y everyone's predictions, assumptions and related quotes and put it in the OP. I want to see a mini-toxx of all the stupid and probably true poo poo people are saying about D-... er, Retard 4.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
How can a thread be so blind to itself

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wish UT2k4 was still a thing

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I really want a code as well if anyone wants to throw it in my direction haha.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

This is going to sound snarky and I genuinely don't intend it to, but are you going to play the beta? If you have a code and aren't going to use it, I have a friend who wants to play the beta and didn't buy Wolf TNO.

Really this goes for anyone else in the thread who has a beta code they aren't planning on using, honestly.

I would totally play in the beta to at least give it a chance and possibly even be proven wrong without having to spend money, but I didn't pre-order TNO so no I don't have a key, so I couldn't even give you the one I don't have that I'd use myself. Sorry.

It doesn't sound snarky I was asking earlier in the thread as well, but anybody who has a key is probably going to use it.

Al-Saqr posted:

Like this guy.

Professor of Cats posted:

Yo Zaphod42;

It would be rad if you took y everyone's predictions, assumptions and related quotes and put it in the OP. I want to see a mini-toxx of all the stupid and probably true poo poo people are saying about D-... er, Retard 4.

Haha. I'd have to include a bunch of my own optimistic posts followed by my now massive pessimism though :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Overbite posted:

I wish UT2k4 was still a thing

I feel you dude :hf:

If you haven't, check out the new UT beta. Not the same as 2k4 but its pretty drat rad and I could see them opening up more and more modes over time, turning it into 2k4.

Tribes Ascend has also improved since its initial clusterfuck. I miss Tribes 2's hayday.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Professor of Cats posted:

Yo Zaphod42;

That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut until at least after I try the beta. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm not discounting the possibility that the game ends up being un-fun garbage.

I had a good time in the alpha, as limited as it was. It wasn't as fast as UT or Quake 3, but it was way faster than the multiplayer I was used to in "modern" shooters. The most recent Halo I've played is Halo4 and the most recent CoD I've played is Ghosts, though.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

Supposedly Gamestop and EB Games will be handing out DOOM beta keys for all platforms starting Friday (April 1st, for what it's worth) at 6pm to anyone who visits a store. Seems like a good enough reward for suffering a few minutes of video game retail.

e; Also if you bought Wolfenstein from GMG even outside of the preorder beta access window there's a chance they still fed you a preorder key, that's how I got my beta access. Check your Steam library for "DOOM Closed Beta"

treat fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 31, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, so loadouts are not intrinsically bad, but high level arena shooter play revolves around map and space control as much as it does who can shoot a dude better. Traditionally this comes from pick ups, but games find different ways to emphasize this. CS lacks pickups of any kind, but one life, a focus on objectives and the economy game adds its own layers of strategy and give zone control a reason to exist. Splatoon scoring systems and effective ranges of weapons emphasize map knowledge, and space control, and despite being slow by arena shooter standards, its movement has some real meat to it too. This is beside the point, but it also lacks auto-aim which has led to a few console gamers saying its hard to hit people :lol:

Doom 4 replaces that layer of strategy with nothing. There's just ammo, health and armor spawns, armor being the only thing worth fighting over here. Its still basically a deathmatch game, but without the constant fight for control of spawns, especially in 1v1 play where demon mode wouldn't exist. This leaves a slow game with floaty rear end jumps, shallower movement than even modern cod and halo, and a thin veneer of strategy. I can't see any reason i'd sink time the multiplayer when I can play UT4 for free when i feel like going fast, and Splatoon and CS coddle my poor twitch skills almost as bad as slow rear end modern shooters but found their own ways to emphasize the strategy is arena shooters with enough room to grow into advanced techniques over time.

and that's why we're like "wtf this game has loadouts"

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You're totally loving wrong watch the video christ

Al-Saqr posted:

Constant use of the rocket launcher? check

All resources are pickups and nothing is recharged? check

This is a video of someone that isn't stupid playing the game with a kb & mouse.

It looks great.

Ignore the fucktards.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this is why shooters loving blow now

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

You're totally loving wrong watch the video christ

This is a video of someone that isn't stupid playing the game with a kb & mouse.

It looks great.

Ignore the fucktards.

thank god we have you to set the record straight

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
There are power weapon spawns on the map and from my experience in the alpha they are pretty goddamn powerful stuff, whoever got it tended to go on a spree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

this game looks liek it might be diagnosed with fail aids