Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roland Jones posted:

That's also why her eyes are glowing white in the previous panels, but not the leafy one. Tangent, "Patchworm" seems to be the name of the spirit possessing her. (Well, it could be a tool, but given the glowing orange eyes I'm assuming possession.)
Spender's eyes glowed while Lucifer was spirit timing him. The glowing eyes is an indicator of spirit time, whether by tool or by possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Begemot posted:

Achewood :colbert:

Templar, AZ

Acme wood had largely been semi-reliable on Fridays.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Splicer posted:

Spender's eyes glowed while Lucifer was spirit timing him. The glowing eyes is an indicator of spirit time, whether by tool or by possession.

I think you misunderstood me; I know the glowing white eyes are spirit time stuff and outright stated that being in spirit time is why her eyes were white in those panels, but she also has glowing orange eyes all the time. That is, presumably, not a normal human feature in the Paranatural-universe, so she's almost definitely possessed.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cryophage posted:

So she swapped her hand-skin for the skin around Izzy's bite, and then swapped that skin in turn with the fabric of that operating table so as to do ghost-surgery on it?

I'm sure it would've been explained in subsequent pages, but it's nice to know what the deal with this page is.

Yeah, I'd assumed she was operating on some random spirit, just so we could see her gimmick. I hadn't connected the page to Isabel at all.

I'd also assumed that Patchworm is the duffel bag, but re-reading the page, that's clearly wrong.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm intrigued by the plant background in panel 4. In all other panels, the room is utterly devoid of stuff like that. So, spirit world shenanigans? Also, the lamps are still there, but turned off.

Definitely. I wonder if there's any significance to the lights being off in her spirit world?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Countblanc posted:

the limited exposure we've had to Zarei has had her giving a chuuni threat to her mentor

A what now?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Suaimhneas posted:

A what now?
please keep up with anime tropes in this anime comic*, thanks

*manga

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Urban Dictionary has a good enough description.

quote:

Chuunibyou

A Japanese slang term which roughly translates to "Middle School 2nd Year Syndrome". People with chuunibyou either act like a know-it-all adult and look down on real ones, or believe they have special powers unlike others.

This is a common stage in growth; for most people, it happens--you guessed it--around the 2nd year of middle school (Grade 8 in Japan). However, the problem is, there are some grown-ups who have this symptom.
There are 3 main types of Chuunibyou. DQN-type pretends to be antisocial even though they aren't, or can't be and has made-up stories about antisocial behavior. Subculture-type prefers subculture or minor trends just to be different and have the "cool" factor. Evil Eye-Type admires mystical powers and pretends to have one of their own, to the extent of establishing an alias just for that.

It's that ridiculously embarrassing (for the person, afterwards) or annoying (for everyone else) point where someone in their early teens is trying to figure out who they are, and they settle on something they think is 'cool' but is completely unrealistic to how people usually act.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You could have just said "Issac."

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Actually, yeah, that's pretty much right.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
being a spectral fucks you up man

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Onean posted:

DQN-type pretends to be antisocial even though they aren't, or can't be and has made-up stories about antisocial behavior.

Aw hell

I had fully forgotten I did that. Thanks for reminding me! :suicide:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Back to the doctor lady's eye color, I always thought she looked kinda... snake like? And that's why her eyes were yellow/orange at rest.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Back to the doctor lady's eye color, I always thought she looked kinda... snake like? And that's why her eyes were yellow/orange at rest.

Being possessed by a snake spirit would make sense, given their links to medicine and immortality.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime posted:

Being possessed by a snake spirit would make sense, given their links to medicine

makes sense

Slime posted:

and immortality.

i don't think zarei's that good, my friend

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the cadceus is actually two snakes wrapped round a stick

m-m-multi snake drifting!

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the cadceus is actually two snakes wrapped round a stick

m-m-multi snake drifting!

More to the point the Rod of Asclepius is one snake wrapped around a stick. :smugbert:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tollymain posted:

i don't think zarei's that good, my friend

We haven't seen her die yet :colbert:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-109

Jeeze, Zarei is serious business. She's employing (and therefore maintaining with her spirit energy) how many spirits? One of which, the train, was huge.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/714915492046180352

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-109

Jeeze, Zarei is serious business. She's employing (and therefore maintaining with her spirit energy) how many spirits? One of which, the train, was huge.

The train at least she explicitly was not maintaining with her spirit energy. She seems to be somewhat unique from what we've seen in regards to her partnership with spirits.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
She does feed spirit energy to the train, but it's not much of a color match so it's slow. Presumably with enough color-mismatching you could feed a good number of spirits with no major drain.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Now she is but the train was working with her at full strength and was not in a tool.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This has already been explained; she's tamed the spirits like one would animals. They're not tools or possessing her (Patchworm aside), so they presumably aren't feeding off of her either, they're like the things we've seen the team fight or Forge pre-Spender, they just listen to her. How she's managed this we haven't seen yet, but it does make her rather special, just not in the way that's been stated here.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Maybe it's because she's not a dick and doesn't treat them like inanimate tools.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

This has already been explained; she's tamed the spirits like one would animals. They're not tools or possessing her (Patchworm aside), so they presumably aren't feeding off of her either, they're like the things we've seen the team fight or Forge pre-Spender, they just listen to her. How she's managed this we haven't seen yet, but it does make her rather special, just not in the way that's been stated here.

Yeah

shes cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

king doctopus... my liege

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Roland Jones posted:

I think you misunderstood me; I know the glowing white eyes are spirit time stuff and outright stated that being in spirit time is why her eyes were white in those panels, but she also has glowing orange eyes all the time. That is, presumably, not a normal human feature in the Paranatural-universe, so she's almost definitely possessed.

She can swap around bits of skin, why not eyes? She might not be possessed, those might just be a spirit's eyes she took/traded for.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
In panel 6 you can see a suitcase stuffed with clothes and other stuff. Bed on the floor too, even though the house is big enough to have a second floor. I wonder if she's new to town or something.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Brannock posted:

In panel 6 you can see a suitcase stuffed with clothes and other stuff. Bed on the floor too, even though the house is big enough to have a second floor. I wonder if she's new to town or something.

Hmm. Hmmmmm.

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm?

I mean good eye, but... hmmm.

e; actually on second thought I'm not even sure if she is new to town or not ughghghg

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 30, 2016

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Maybe she lived outside the barrier and commuted by spirit train.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

oddium posted:

king doctopus... my liege

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Brannock posted:

Pretty sure that's a spirit world she's in. The last panel has her outside, and is notably after she grabs her bag and dismisses it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's the other way around. spirit world is the foresty bits

zarei is not new in town, but she doesn't live there either. she's been to mayview before multiple times and probably lived there while she was isabel's grandfather's student (i can't remember their last name exactly. guer something)

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, last panel is spirit world. Also she might be in a basement, rather than the first floor of a two-story home.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brannock posted:

There's also a bunch of pictures in that stairway, so someone living there is well-established enough to decorate.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Alright I did some looking because shut up:

in Zarei's introduction, she says she's here on a visit (here presumably being Mayview) and also calls it the boonies and that she's not sure whose in charge there. Probably she's mostly joking, though.

Later on, one of the other agents(?) she was with says he was only supposed to be there for a week, but that's weak evidence.

Finally, on this page Granps says the only reason she'd be making housecalls is due to being trapped, but also that he knew her earlier. (the page before that one was pretty great too, fyi)

So, presumably, the idea is that Zarei is probably originally from Mayview, but became an important ghost doctor and moved away or is always busy and travelling. She may or may not make many visits back using the train, or maybe that's a new development? She's got enough connections to be able to find a couch to crash on/use as a workspace, but doesn't have a permanent residence of her own.

Alternatively, that is her house, but she spends so much time being a ghost doctor/traveling that she finds it more convenient to set up a makeshift bed and leave her clothes in her workspace rather than go upstairs. Or maybe she has a crippling fear of stairs?

I put way too much effort into this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, last panel is spirit world. Also she might be in a basement, rather than the first floor of a two-story home.
Betting it's Spender's basement.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 31, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Splicer posted:

Betting it's Spender's basement.

This would also be my guess, though on another evaluation her workspace is surprisingly comprehensive and laid-out, right down to stocked medicine cabinets above the desk; maybe she maintains a small space there for crashing and working when she comes to town?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
New page: http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-110

All the adults in this comic are completely hosed in the head, but at least quite a few of the spirits are decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i will not have you besmirch starchman so