Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
In the new Peanuts movie there's a (predictable if you're over 10) bit where Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty mix up their tests but you can actually see them sign the wrong ones whereas most movies with that bit will do them off screen (or not have a big identifiable smiley face on one).

My favorite thing about that joke/plotline is that the answers to the test form a perfect smiley face and seemingly nobody noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Brad Pitt isn't in Spotlight and I don't remember anyone being illiterate

Subtley, man.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Brad Pitt isn't in Spotlight and I don't remember anyone being illiterate

Yeah, it was really subtle. But if you look closely the clues are there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's only subtle if you haven't been following showbizz news otherwise you'd know he turned himself illiterate for that role. I certainly remember reading about it on the internet somewhere.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Got around to seeing The Danish Girl, and a lot of the scenes in (especially the early part of) the movie were clearly inspired by Danish painters. Door-ways and people with their backs turned.

Eckersberg, Woman in front of a mirror

Hammershøi, Interior in Strandgade

So many more of their works are referenced.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Anyone who has seen BvS. Does Ben Affleck spin in a circle?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anyone who has seen BvS. Does Ben Affleck spin in a circle?

No, but child Bruce does.

Edit: Oh wait, there's a scene where technically he does.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Oh wait, there's a scene where technically he does.

I think there's a scene where the camera spins around him several times?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Cat Hatter posted:

In the new Peanuts movie there's a (predictable if you're over 10) bit where Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty mix up their tests but you can actually see them sign the wrong ones whereas most movies with that bit will do them off screen (or not have a big identifiable smiley face on one).

My favorite thing about that joke/plotline is that the answers to the test form a perfect smiley face and seemingly nobody noticed.

Another fun bit is when they're revealing the test results on the huge board, you can see that 'Peppermint Patty' really did not do well.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chichevache posted:

Camacho would be a better president than anyone currently running.

Was it this this thread that pointed out that Camacho was actually a good president? He recognized there was a problem, he publicly acknowledged that there was a problem, he got the smartest guy in the country on the problem, and it got solved rather fast. These things aren't easy for politicians.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maybe this was brought up but in Daredevil the TV show, Matt's apartment is extremely functional but utilitarian... because he's blind so he doesn't care about decoration.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Was it this this thread that pointed out that Camacho was actually a good president? He recognized there was a problem, he publicly acknowledged that there was a problem, he got the smartest guy in the country on the problem, and it got solved rather fast. These things aren't easy for politicians.

I think it was this thread. Imagine Trump or Hillary admitting that someone else knew more than they did, and that they were just going to step aside and let someone else fix poo poo. :laugh:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe this was brought up but in Daredevil the TV show, Matt's apartment is extremely functional but utilitarian... because he's blind so he doesn't care about decoration.

But he still has lights for sighted visitors.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I like in Deadpool how Deadpool sometimes looks into the screen and says things that it is a movie, it made it easier to watch since you knew it wasn't actually for real :)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm not even sure this one counts but I don't know where else to put it. I've been watching Daredevil thinking I'd recognized the guy that plays Daredevil somewhere but couldn't place it.

It dawned on me this morning that he also plays Tristan in Stardust. (If you haven't seen it, go watch it. It's a fun movie)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He'll always be Owen from Boardwalk Empire to me

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm not even sure this one counts but I don't know where else to put it. I've been watching Daredevil thinking I'd recognized the guy that plays Daredevil somewhere but couldn't place it.

It dawned on me this morning that he also plays Tristan in Stardust. (If you haven't seen it, go watch it. It's a fun movie)

AHHHHHHHHH thank you! His wry smile was driving me mad.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

He'll always be Owen from Boardwalk Empire to me

Don't need your vision when you're in a box.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Greggster posted:

I like in Deadpool how Deadpool sometimes looks into the screen and says things that it is a movie, it made it easier to watch since you knew it wasn't actually for real :)

Thank God am I right folks?

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
There is a mildly cute moment in Batman v Superman where Lex Luthor is (poorly) retelling the story of Prometheus and Gal Gadot has this really disappointed look on her face.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AGirlWonder posted:

There is a mildly cute moment in Batman v Superman where Lex Luthor is (poorly) retelling the story of Prometheus and Gal Gadot has this really disappointed look on her face.

It was a disappointing movie.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

AGirlWonder posted:

Specifically right after he mentions Zeus throwing thunderbolts, if I remember right.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.

AGirlWonder posted:

Its pretty good when she does that. Rolling her eyes thinking "Gods yes, Zeus. You people have no idea." Or similar, maybe Prometheus was a total tool.

I also liked Miles Dyson turning up to basically build a terminator.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cheshire Puss posted:

Its pretty good when she does that. Rolling her eyes thinking "Gods yes, Zeus. You people have no idea."

If they're sticking to the modern comicbook version of Wonder Woman then Lex is actually telling WW a story about her Dad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is Lex Luthor at least good in the movie? On a scale of Kevin Spacey to Gene Hackman? I'm going to be dragged to that terrible movie at some point and I'd like something to look forward to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is Lex Luthor at least good in the movie? On a scale of Kevin Spacey to Gene Hackman? I'm going to be dragged to that terrible movie at some point and I'd like something to look forward to.

God no. He's the worst part.

vvv What he said is all true, it just turns out that's not entertaining, it's loving irritating. vvv

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Mar 30, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eisenberg absolutely owns the role and you can tell he's really into it - ton of verbal and behavioral tics that make him seem like Luthor's just on the edge of cracking, somewhere between completely in control and total mental breakdown. In a lot of scenes he's making other characters uncomfortable by getting into their personal space, talking far too closely, talking a lot of bullshit, etc.

If you dislike comic book movies veering away from established personalities you'll hate him, but I felt it was a great take on the character.

KoB
May 1, 2009
They tried to make Lex more like the Joker which was kinda lame. Unstable person instead of evil genius rear end in a top hat guy.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If they're sticking to the modern comicbook version of Wonder Woman then Lex is actually telling WW a story about her Dad.

Given how closely to the comics they went with Batman, its more likely Zeus is her pet terrier.

I liked Luthor a lot personally. His villainous monologuing to Superman really did it for me, because it seemed like Lex knows monologuing is what a villain should do and by god he plays to type.

KoB posted:

They tried to make Lex more like the Joker which was kinda lame. Unstable person instead of evil genius rear end in a top hat guy.

If Joker is insane, Luthor is just evil. He doesn't have an excuse. Thats the most sympathetic take I have on it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

KoB posted:

Lex isn't supposed to be unstable. He's supposed to be 20 steps ahead of everyone and smarter than Batman (sometimes even smarter than Brainiac). Of course, Batman isn't supposed to kill people either. It's like, his thing.
I see they went another way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they made him unstable as well as 20 steps ahead of everyone else?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

Lex isn't supposed to be unstable. He's supposed to be 20 steps ahead of everyone and smarter than Batman (sometimes even smarter than Brainiac). Of course, Batman isn't supposed to kill people either. It's like, his thing.
I see they went another way.

There are no less than a half dozen very different versions of Lex Luthor, notably the movie ones who are by no means geniuses.

Batman kills people in Dark Knight Returns.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I didn't mind the different portrayals of heroes in the film.

The problem is they were all very dumb.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Speaking of gaiman adaptions. Every time something happens even sort of comic book related in lucifer they do the opposite.

for example with his wings the entire time he is after the storage locker thing I am like oh poo poo it has his wings in it and then they do but instead of making it be a long plot they just make him get them and burn them. They also missed out on making the angel after him being remiel and later we could have duma come bring remiel back to hell.

Its heading into xfiles / house territory of being to much X of the week and not enough over all plot. Which is fitting I guess because the show is basically house. Except he solves crimes and instead of being a huge rear end he is a huge rear end who is literally the devil.

snergle has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Mar 30, 2016

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You might be the first person ever to think that the X-Files did too many monster if the week episodes and didn't focus enough on the overarching mythology.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

I doubt I'll ever watch the Lucifer show, but I can't help but be curious. Why does he solve crimes? Boredom?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cheshire Puss posted:

I doubt I'll ever watch the Lucifer show, but I can't help but be curious. Why does he solve crimes? Boredom?

Pretty much.

Edit: I really dig the show. Tom Ellis is a gem.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's a bit goofy at times but tons of fun, yeah.

He basically solves crimes out of boredom and because his hot partner is the only one his powers don't work on so he's fascinated by her, oh and also he's mortal around her or something.

I'm interested to see where they're going with that.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Baron von Eevl posted:

You might be the first person ever to think that the X-Files did too many monster if the week episodes and didn't focus enough on the overarching mythology.

i should of clarified it with s1-s2 of xfiles I tried to rewatch and couldnt get out of s1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Taeke posted:

I'm interested to see where they're going with that.

Twilight. It's literally the exact same set up as Twilight.