Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

tarlibone posted:

That is your bass. There are many like it, but that one is yours.

instruments that look like wall-hangings, probably are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dyna Soar posted:

i play a p-bass because gently caress all those useless eq's

Yep. I kind of regret getting the bridge humbucker option on my Dingwall, because I only ever use the P pickup.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My favorite weird looking bass is the Eastwood EEB-1, based off some old Ampeg bass I think. I kinda regret not buying one when it was on Craigslist for cheap recently.

Anyone have any experience with Eastwoods? They have a lot of cool looking stuff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My favorite weird looking bass is the Eastwood EEB-1, based off some old Ampeg bass I think. I kinda regret not buying one when it was on Craigslist for cheap recently.

Anyone have any experience with Eastwoods? They have a lot of cool looking stuff.

Eastwoods? No. But that bass you link to looks like one of two old Ampeg basses: the AEB-1 and AMB-1, which were essentially the same bass in terms of body and headstock shape. (The AMB-1 was an upgraded AEB-1, from what I've found.)

I'm a Fender guy, so I have at least a small affinity for creative headstock shapes. After all, there's no reason for a Fender headstock to look the way it does, but I like it. This AEB-style headstock caught my eye when I was a teenager, though, because of the video for "Remedy" by the Black Crowes. Check it out. It's a good song for one, but also the video spends an uncommonly large amount of time on the bass player, and you can get a few good looks at his bass.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

tarlibone posted:

After all, there's no reason for a Fender headstock to look the way it does, but I like it.
He copied Bigsby, who was using that design in the 40s. And that design is an evolution of the 6-on-a-side headstock used in the 1800s by Martin.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

He copied Bigsby, who was using that design in the 40s. And that design is an evolution of the 6-on-a-side headstock used in the 1800s by Martin.

Which, in turn, was their take on the profile of a scroll style headstock.

Eastwood, as I remember, buys up a lot of pre-70s designs from minor companies like Valco's Airline. They use some Asia-based factory for these models so they are probably not the best fit and would require some effort to set up properly if they can be set up at all. It would be better to get a real vintage Ampeg, until then you might want to consider something a bit more reliable, however commonplace.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Eastwood, as I remember, buys up a lot of pre-70s designs from minor companies like Valco's Airline. They use some Asia-based factory for these models so they are probably not the best fit and would require some effort to set up properly if they can be set up at all. It would be better to get a real vintage Ampeg, until then you might want to consider something a bit more reliable, however commonplace.

While your comments about Eastwood's QC may be valid (I don't know), I'm personally a big believer in avoiding an Appeal to Vintage. Just because something's old and expensive, that doesn't mean it's worth a poo poo, playability-wise. A lot of instruments from back then, made by a lot of companies (some famous ones), had very dubious quality control. There is no reason to just assume that a 60-year-old bass from a manufacturer who doesn't even make basses anymore* is automatically going to be in better shape than a brand-new bass made in Asia.

That said, I'd definitely try to play one before I bought one sight-unseen unless I found a bunch of reviews online--and then, only if I had a reason to believe that the reviews are from actual owners.

* yeah, someone might be making Ampeg basses now. But I guarantee you that the group doing it has as much to do with the 1960s Ampeg company as I do.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Has anyone got any experience with the Ampeg Portaflex PF500?

I've got the opportunity to pick up a new one quite a bit cheaper than average (and I liked the way it sounded), but there's lots of reviews talking about reliability issues, noisy fans, etc.

e: And while I'm on the subject, I see that the manual for this amp (and for the Little Mark 250 I've also been considering) says that you can use it with headphones with no cab attached. Everything I've heard about amps says never ever do that, but I guess it's OK?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

I've got the opportunity to pick up a new one quite a bit cheaper than average (and I liked the way it sounded), but there's lots of reviews talking about reliability issues, noisy fans, etc.

e: And while I'm on the subject, I see that the manual for this amp (and for the Little Mark 250 I've also been considering) says that you can use it with headphones with no cab attached. Everything I've heard about amps says never ever do that, but I guess it's OK?

How much is a bit cheaper? PF500 is a pretty popular solid state head. Not too sure about reliability, but I'm sure its being so popular means you're going to get a lot of people who have had one issue or another. As for fan noise, that's going to happen with any head where you're applying a bunch of gain or otherwise driving your system to generate heat. Musicians should worry less about one kind of fan noise and more about another, unless you're trying to mic up the amplifier, to which I say "put the head in another room, then."

MarkBass is also an awesome company. I'm not sure how the two compare, because I remember sitting with a little 1x12 combo and remarking how intensely powerful it was. However, I believe that was a 500w head powering it.

And to answer your question: yes, the Ampeg headphone jack can be used without a cab attached, that's what it's there for; the rule you're thinking of applies to any other head that doesn't have a headphone jack, like the Little Mark 250, and people sometimes think that the speaker out or line out jack is where the headphones can go. This is wrong, and bad. Only plug your headphones into jacks labelled for headphones.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jeff Goldblum posted:

How much is a bit cheaper? PF500 is a pretty popular solid state head. Not too sure about reliability, but I'm sure its being so popular means you're going to get a lot of people who have had one issue or another. As for fan noise, that's going to happen with any head where you're applying a bunch of gain or otherwise driving your system to generate heat. Musicians should worry less about one kind of fan noise and more about another, unless you're trying to mic up the amplifier, to which I say "put the head in another room, then."

MarkBass is also an awesome company. I'm not sure how the two compare, because I remember sitting with a little 1x12 combo and remarking how intensely powerful it was. However, I believe that was a 500w head powering it.

And to answer your question: yes, the Ampeg headphone jack can be used without a cab attached, that's what it's there for; the rule you're thinking of applies to any other head that doesn't have a headphone jack, like the Little Mark 250, and people sometimes think that the speaker out or line out jack is where the headphones can go. This is wrong, and bad. Only plug your headphones into jacks labelled for headphones.

The place selling it has two in stock for 30% off, which is good (makes it the same price as the Markbass Black Line 250). The price is about 45% less than other places I've seen it, which is just making it seem like a no-brainer purchase because I could probably sell it second hand for more than I'd buy it for new. A whole lot of people seem to be saying that it goes into failure mode (ie, turns off) frequently, which is a pretty big concern though.

As for the running without speakers thing, the Markbass website says

"Yes, any Markbass amp can be used as a preamp only. We recommend that when doing so, you turn off the master volume (not essential, but it's better for the amp). The gain control and/or the Line Out level control will regulate the output from the amp."

and the ampeg manual which I've got online says

"If you just want to listen and practice through headphones, disconnect the speaker-level outputs from the speaker cabinet. There is no harm in playing the PF-500 / PF-800 without speakers."

which answers my question, but raises another one. The Markbass quote there implies that I could use the line out (say, to a recording interface) without a speaker cab attached. Do I have that right? Is the same true of the Ampeg? (Obviously I'm not going to stick my headphones into the line out on either amp - I'm not super knowledgable about this stuff, but I do know that much).

e: Everything I can find points to "yes, you can use also the line out without a cab attached on the ampeg". I guess it's obvious to most potential buyers, but it'd be nice if the documentation on this stuff was a bit better.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 28, 2016

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Sample size of one and all, but I had a PF500 a few years ago and I was pretty disappointed in it. I had read about some of the issues that people had seen before buying it and rolled the dice anyways. It was nearly impossible to get my MiM Jazz Bass to not clip the input jack unless the volume was rolled way down on both pickups (No clipping issues with the pickups at max volume on other amps and recording interfaces), it would still have a good bit of hiss when clean and not clipping, and, while not a big deal while playing, the pots on a factory new amp were almost all scratchy. Combined with everything else, the scratchy pots made me wonder just how crusty the parts were that Ampeg's factory was using. The tone was nothing special and definitely didn't do anything to try and emulate the sound of Ampeg's classic heads. I returned it after a week and a half and never missed its absence.

e: And yes, you could use the headphones without any speakers hooked up to it. Its sound was very consistent through a cab, direct into a recording interface, or just using headphones.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
just get a cheapo practise amp for playing at low volumes?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

just get a cheapo practise amp for playing at low volumes?

The questions I'm asking are more about what I'm able to do that what I'm going to do. My usual use case is playing at medium volume by myself with computer based drums and sometimes a guitarist, and recording myself on bass and trying to play guitar over it or vice versa. My little line 6 "studio" amp is [i]just[/i[ loud enough for this before it starts to sound poo poo, and I want to be able to play with a live drummer and my current amp doesn't cut it, so I'm trying to figure out if I can sell it or if I need to keep it around to play through headphones or gently caress around recording through an interface at times when I can't be loud.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
ok, fair enough. in my experience the best sounding amps aren't necessarily the most versatile ones. the jack of many trades, master of none approach just gives you lackluster tone and makes it harder to fix.

in your case, why don't you just plug your bass straight to your soundcard? you can get a reasonable tone with the built in plug-ins in protools. then you can use the amp for when you play loud.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 28, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Roland Bass Cube 100 has a recording line out, can be hooked up to more cabs if you want but is loud as hell on it's own. Has a decent variety of amp models in there too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Most of them are good quality and sounds pretty good, but if you pick up an EEB-1 expecting it to sound like the AEB... you will be extremely disappointed. There are tons of articles/reviews floating around that detail how it isn't anything like the AEB except for the goofy f-hole cutouts.

In fact, here's a video with Ed Friedland demoing an eastwood hollowbody and the EEB-1. The EEB just sounds painfully bland and mediocre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSUjhcJaPo

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Post your area CL page and I'll find some stuff for you. Used is almost always the way to go, you'll get twice as much for the same amount.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Like I said earlier, I've been looking at second hand stuff and haven't found a head I actually want. I arranged to buy a cab though, but keep reading.

Today I bought the ampeg after looking on gumtree and seeing one for sale at the same price as the new one and one at a more expensive price. Took my bass to the store and played for about half an hour, and liked the sound a lot. I tested it through a fender 1x15 and a hartke 4x10, and thought it sounded better through the Hartke. Didn't have any input clipping problems like Waldstein Sonata described, and I couldn't hear the "loud fan" I was worried about over quiet playing, let alone my normal volume.

As I was driving home from picking the ampeg up the guy who was selling me a cheap Hartke 410XL called me and told me he sold it to someone else. I'd already checked it out and was supposed to be picking it up this afternoon (like, I was going home with the head because it was on the way to his place, was going to have a coffee and then go out again). Fucker. One of the other second hand cabs I had my eye on also already sold, and the other one seems super sketchy (like, a bit too cheap for what it is, guy didn't seem to know anything about it and had no other bass or guitar gear in the place and just gave me a real bad vibe). So now I have a new amp and no speakers, hooray. I guess I'll spend the day scouring ads.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
More will pop up, wait for the right cab at the right price and check the ads regularly. Now that you have a head, it can be even easier to test a cab - you have one less variable to change the tone.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CaseFace McGee posted:

More will pop up, wait for the right cab at the right price and check the ads regularly. Now that you have a head, it can be even easier to test a cab - you have one less variable to change the tone.

Yeah, at least there's an upside even if the whole thing is frustrating as hell.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 29, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, at least there's an upside even if the whole thing is frustrating as hell.

When I last was looking for a used cab, this happened instead.

Two years passed, then this happened.

I still haven't bought a used cab like I planned to five years ago...

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 29, 2016

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I played one of the Ibanez multi-scale SRFF805s at Long & McQuade today. It was nice, but as the guy said, "you might as well pay a few hundred more for the Dingwall."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CaseFace McGee posted:

When I last was looking for a used cab, this happened instead.

If that's what I think it is and you built your own cabs, that's cool as hell and I'd like to hear more about it.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

If that's what I think it is and you built your own cabs, that's cool as hell and I'd like to hear more about it.

I'll dig through my old pictures tonight and put together more stuff, but yes, I built both of my current cabs from plans I got online after doing research on the matter, and I plan to build more because it is fun and good. Not necessarily cheap, but they sound pretty great.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

NarkyBark posted:

When the bass drum starts hitting 16+ hits a second, there's no way you'll keep up with it.

use more fingers

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

use fingers and toes

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

My build-a-cab post will need to wait until another day... instead of going through my old pictures for in-progress cab photos, I wandered a little too far into Tom Clement's website and Facebook page and the next thing I knew, I had sent him a build request.

4 string fretless, unlined because it would be sacrilege to spoil the look of the black and white ebony fingerboard that he (hopefully) still has up for grabs. Sample of the other bass using ebony from the same blank:

I asked for a basic body wood like this example, I don't want a crazy top to detract from that fingerboard. One possibility is some soft maple with understated grain. I also asked for a ramp between the pickups. I don't want to copy that other bass, but :drat: that black and white ebony looks awesome as the ramp also.

To try and keep the price below two grand, I'm planning to keep the bass passive. Pickup choice is still up in the air... currently leaning towards Nordstrand Big Splits or a P/J setup, but Big Singles could also work, and there's the Bartolini options, and EMGs, and so on... suggestions welcome, I guess.

I am ordering with this Phoenix body style, so it doesn't look quite as much like my singlecut Clement bass:

Super excited to see how this turns out! :haw: I just got told about a larger than expected raise starting in April, and a bonus coming also, so I figured I could treat myself to something that I've wanted to do for a good five years now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Hey folks,

I'm thirty- one and recently had a very close friend pass from cancer. He was my old band mate and musical brother. We played together in a band for many many years when I was growing up. I think I was fifteen when we started out.

I used to be a pretty competent slap bass player. Entirely self taught, but never quite at the "double thump" level of good. Back in the late nineties and early 2000's finding a funk bass teacher was surprisingly hard. Because of my friend's passing I really want to get back in to playing music, and I think this would be a good chance to break some old habits. I want to develop a good right hand "claw" for double thumping and playing more efficient slap bass. My left hand is really slow but will pick back up with time.

My question is what would be the best series of Youtube videos for me to get my White Man Funk back on track? Honestly, I've not played a show since 2003...I helped win $400 for me and my friends by turning "Hey Ya" into a slapfest.

I already got MY PRECIOUS set back up and running. God I love this loving beast.

Yes, that's a Steinberger prototype Q bass from the eighties with Bartolini's put in by Ned himself.

Also here is a song from my passed friend - can't talk about him without lighting the torch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQUB4STD2Lg

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Picked this baby up a few weeks back for a steal, it's one of the older Ibanez copies, has had vintage Dimarzio pickups replace the stocks a looong time ago, and some dodgy pickguard work.
With that, I decided it wouldn't hurt it further to make it a bit more unique by blacking out the white guards...

I love it now more than ever!

Also, yes, it sounds amazing, louder than my active basses.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Picked this baby up a few weeks back for a steal, it's one of the older Ibanez copies, has had vintage Dimarzio pickups replace the stocks a looong time ago, and some dodgy pickguard work.
With that, I decided it wouldn't hurt it further to make it a bit more unique by blacking out the white guards...

Sup lawsuit Ibanez buddy :hfive:

My '78 lawsuit P-bass sounds and plays better than most 70s fenders I've handled.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Those look like Model Ones, which were originally made as replacements for Gibson EB pickups. Super high output, as you've found. I like that bass.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Louder is always better.

That is a cool bass, good looks and I bet it sounds awesome.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Scarf posted:

Sup lawsuit Ibanez buddy :hfive:

My '78 lawsuit P-bass sounds and plays better than most 70s fenders I've handled.

I have 3 other Ibanez guitars ('82 MC924, '79 RB800, '07 DTT700 (not pictured)) but this is the only copy one and also the only passive of the 4. I am very interested in finding more.

Juaguocio posted:

Those look like Model Ones, which were originally made as replacements for Gibson EB pickups. Super high output, as you've found. I like that bass.

I understand it is a M1 in the neck, where it should be of course, but the bridge pickup, well, I haven't been able to find out much about it. It's about as old, shares the same pole pieces and looks like a Dimarzio but I just don't know what it is. Also the guitar is almost exclusively switched to that only because it's a hell of a sound on it's own.

EDIT: Just stumbled through another search to see if I could find out what it is, turns out it is a Model G.
I recommend checking them out, folks.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Louder is always better.

That is a cool bass, good looks and I bet it sounds awesome.

It is tuned to open B, still retains huge, sweet tone and even keeps tension awesomely for such a downtune with standard gauge strings... It's a bit of a freak.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 4, 2016

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I have 3 other Ibanez guitars ('82 MC924, '79 RB800, '07 DTT700 (not pictured)) but this is the only copy one and also the only passive of the 4. I am very interested in finding more.

I'm pretty sure all of Ibanez's lawsuit basses from that era were dubbed "Silver Series" basses, so I'd search by that. I think that name also applied to their lawsuit guitars as well.

Here's my '78:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 4, 2016

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Scarf posted:

I'm pretty sure all of Ibanez's lawsuit basses from that era were dubbed "Silver Series" basses, so I'd search by that. I think that name also applied to their lawsuit guitars as well.

I am not certain of that claim, I have seen plenty that didn't have the SS decal. I used to own a J bass copy that just said Ibanez on the headstock, might have just been the neck on it's own though, it was a beastly thing but oddly modified so the neck pickup was set in the gap between the two, loved the tone but was forced to sell it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Scarf posted:

Here's my '78:

This bass is awesome. I would love to come across one just like it.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

This bass is awesome. I would love to come across one just like it.

Came across this one this morning.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...AQAAOSwnLdWrtFO

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm thinking of buying a Stingray 5 string. Is there any reason why I wouldn't do this?

Also, I've been playing around with a technique that I haven't heard of before, it sounds like slapping but is done with the non-thumb fingers. Is there a name for this, and is there a reason I haven't heard of it? I've uploaded a short bit of playing around (skill sold separately):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCv1HsWNptI

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BonHair posted:

I'm thinking of buying a Stingray 5 string. Is there any reason why I wouldn't do this?

Also, I've been playing around with a technique that I haven't heard of before, it sounds like slapping but is done with the non-thumb fingers. Is there a name for this, and is there a reason I haven't heard of it? I've uploaded a short bit of playing around (skill sold separately):

Usually referred to as tapping. It's kinda what led to the development of the Chapman Stick and similar instruments.

I've never been a fan of musicman basses, but if you dig the sound and it feels good, go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

BonHair posted:

I have a Sting Ray 5 and I'll never part with it, but that's mostly due to sentimental reasons. It's a solid bass on all fronts and does what it does great. Honestly if I had to do it over again, I'd look into G&L. They make great stuff and are the natural progression of the Fender lineage.

As for the technique, it isn't tapping. It's just striking downwards with your fingers to make the strings hit the frets like slapping. This isn't new, John Entwhistle used to do something similar. Still, I don't know if there's a name for it.