Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Looming ahead of him was a towering archway, tall enough that six Jaces stacked head to toe could have fit through.

I want to die.

The rest of the story is told in first person, present tense from Jace's perspective so strap in for the ride of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

3) Get a loupe. 15 bucks on amazon. This one is good because it has a light and a black light.

I tried this but they sold me a counterfeit loupe

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

You need the loupe de loupe

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

RIP. Anyway here's a scan I did of a real and a fake Revised card. Linked for 20mb picture

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44893/fake.png

e2; Sorry I was thinking of a different fake. This is a blue core.

VVVV: Maybe, but that might also have been my scanner, not sure. The bigger give away is that the text and the border aren't printed on a second layer, you can see the dot pattern even on the scan.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 30, 2016

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

RIP. Anyway here's a scan I did of a real and a fake Revised card. Linked for 20mb picture

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44893/fake.png

The big line down the middle of the second one is the give away right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My friend in Seattle bought a bunch of the cheaper proxies to compare them to real cards before he started going to GPs, nearly all of them can be detected pretty much immediately just by holding the card.

Obviously that's pretty hard to do when they're sleeved, etc. so they mostly pass any initial inspections, but if you're ever worried about buying/trading for fakes just insist on feeling them before making the deal.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

The rest of the story is told in first person, present tense from Jace's perspective so strap in for the ride of your life.

Boy, that was a wild ride from start to finish.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jace's Wild Ride never ends.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'm pretty sure 2 of the Bloodstained Mires I have from TCG are fake

I had a couple people check it out and they say it might be but they're unsure. I offered to play without them but the usual answers are "It's just FNM" or "It's just a store modern event"

I'm not and won't ever play in a GP's so I just assume people don't care?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I'm pretty sure 2 of the Bloodstained Mires I have from TCG are fake

I had a couple people check it out and they say it might be but they're unsure. I offered to play without them but the usual answers are "It's just FNM" or "It's just a store modern event"

I'm not and won't ever play in a GP's so I just assume people don't care?

The only harm in owning counterfeit cards is the harm you do to the secondary market by not buying an expensive card second hand.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Looming ahead of him was a towering archway, tall enough that six Jaces stacked head to toe could have fit through.

So that archway is like what, 30 feet tall?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yawgmoth posted:

The castle is supposed to be REALLY big (seriously).

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If I was playing at an FNM and my opponent let slip that his entire deck from top to bottom was counterfeit, I'd have a really hard time caring in any capacity. Smash the bourgeois, I say.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yawgmoth posted:

6 jaces stacked end to end is only 528mm :v:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Snacksmaniac posted:

I want to die.

Hello new standard for mtg measurements.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Anyone who doesn't value their free time at >$100/hr is a peasant scrub, so

unironically this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't even necessarily know why people hate Jace so much. He's just kind of generic and he looks like a wuss all of the time since the fairly recent change in trying to make the overall story coherent. He's the Blue Ranger in the original Power Rangers who just stood around looking scared when the Putties showed up and all of his friends got to do kung fu.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
people hate jace because he's consistently good and consistently good w/ degenerate decks that make standard unfun

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't even necessarily know why people hate Jace so much. He's just kind of generic and he looks like a wuss all of the time since the fairly recent change in trying to make the overall story coherent. He's the Blue Ranger in the original Power Rangers who just stood around looking scared when the Putties showed up and all of his friends got to do kung fu.

His eyes are dumb and glowy.

And every lore article has creepy sexual tension.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

He also comes across in the lore as dumber than a box of rocks in spite of his archetype being the "brains over brawn" guy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I don't read the WotC stories, but he comes off as insufferably smug on his more recent cards.

And then there's the fact that WotC can't seem to print a Jace without it being either awful or dominating.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

His eyes are dumb and glowy.

And every lore article has creepy sexual tension.

You make it sound like he's that creepy teenager from Jurassic World. Although the concept of "Jace gets chicks and that is unrealistic comic book fantasy garbage" makes an awful lot of sense as to why Magic nerds get mad every time he shows up.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Jace getting cool flavor text and looking like a badass in the art is him telling others how things totally happened when in reality he's just a huge dork.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I hate him because he isn't Tamiyo.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

My favorite Jace flavor text is Hedron Archive:

"You've begun to understand the hedrons' true purpose," said Ugin. "The Eldrazi can be imprisoned."
"And how did that work out last time?" asked Jace.

It was working fine until you let them out, you smug piece of poo poo. And yet Jace is the one we're supposed to be agreeing with here.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"You've begun to understand the hedrons' true purpose," said Ugin. "The Eldrazi can be imprisoned."

It was working fine until you let them out, you smug piece of poo poo. And yet Jace is the one we're supposed to be agreeing with here.

Maybe Ugin should have nailed a loving board to the prison that said "don't approach if you are a Planeswalker" instead of just having some random prison that gets broken if you just walk next to it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
"Why did you hit me, not even my own dad hit me!" Jace to Sorin.

The card would be called... Night Slap.

I should consider getting some sleep.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't even necessarily know why people hate Jace so much.
Well I would guess it's because

quote:

He's just kind of generic and he looks like a wuss all of the time since the fairly recent change in trying to make the overall story coherent. He's the Blue Ranger in the original Power Rangers who just stood around looking scared when the Putties showed up and all of his friends got to do kung fu.
and yet they keep trying to push him as the main character that solves all the problems and everyone should love and think is rad in an embarrassingly Poochie-esque failure of writing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Maybe if Ugin didn't get owned like a chump the way the other 3 did by Bolas he could've done something about it :smaug:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

My current understanding of the SOI story having not read any of it beyond the snippets in here is that master gumshoe Jace is currently aimlessly wandering around Innistrad screaming "WHERE SORIN?" while stuff tries to eat him.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe if Ugin didn't get owned like a chump the way the other 3 did by Bolas he could've done something about it :smaug:

Doesn't everyone just get owned by Bolas though?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Madmarker posted:

:agreed:

I hope he gets pulled back to Ravnica and has to do his desk job there for the rest of his life, and Tamiyo becomes the blue planeswalker that shows up everywhere.

(Probably won't happen, because Jace is a neckbeard and a cheeto-stained hand away from being a Magic player, while Tamiyo is a g-g-girl. Which one do you think WotC feels will sell more cards?)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Logicblade posted:

"Why did you hit me, not even my own dad hit me!" Jace to Sorin.

The card would be called... Night Slap.

I should consider getting some sleep.

Tragic Slap

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Madmarker posted:

This is probably best and most succinct rationale.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You guys are making Jace sad

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Also, EDM's going to end like this:

Jace confronts Nahiri. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because Sorin wrecked my plane by binding the Eldrazi to it!"

"Well, we unbound them. And killed two of them."

"Really?" Then she kisses him and joins the Jacetice League.

Sorin does absolutely nothing of significance. As usual.

Tamiyo planeswalks away with Arlinn, finds Kiora, Ral, and Narset, and forms the Cloudcrest Lake Avengers.

Bolas poses with his foreclaws touching and says, "Yes, just as planned." even though he had nothing to do with anything that happened here.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't understand why LSV's set reviews only link to the previous colours. How hard is it to go back in and link them all?

Don't they know how lazy I am?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Doesn't everyone just get owned by Bolas though?

Then Jace gets a pass too, it's just what Bolas does. :smaug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
To faintly defend Jace as an individual: his sins are hardly unique, in the sense that if he weren't the horribly written nerd power fantasy character and/or sex object, then it just means that someone else in the story would be. Chandra is the obvious second place finisher in the category of "smug young adult who has problems with authority," but then you'd have "brooding vampire in a trenchcoat" and "eeeeevil seductress" bringing up the rear, and after that you might start to get to halfway complex characters (or at least, characters whose complexity isn't drowned out by their focus-grouped exterior).

Jace is actually the least annoying in the current plot that he's been in a while, at least from reading the cards (I haven't checked out that UR yet). It really seems to help when they tie him down to some sort of adult task or responsibility that can't be solved solely by flitting around and smugly mind-dunking on everyone, things like running Ravnica or solving the mystery in SoI. Though even there we have at least one card that shows him mind-violating someone to obtain a clue :thumbsup:

e: I should clarify that I think Lili and especially Sorin are fairly interesting characters as far as Magic writing goes, but the point is that they'd still be well above the background level for nerd-appeal schlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zemyla posted:

Bolas poses with his foreclaws touching and says, "Yes, just as planned." even though he had nothing to do with anything that happened here.

Wait, are you saying that Bolas planned for Sarkhan to go back in time and save Ugin, despite Bolas having killed Ugin centuries ago?

• Locked thread