Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You can already do 'del c:\ -S -F -Q' to destroy a windows machine (at next boot, so it's effectively a ticking time bomb!), why reinvent the wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alighieri posted:

not pissing me off, Bash is coming to windows natively

rm -r /windows

bash: rm: command not found

Because I'd be surprised if Microsoft is also installing the full inventory of unix binaries.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

bash: rm: command not found

Because I'd be surprised if Microsoft is also installing the full inventory of unix binaries.
How soon we forget Microsoft Services for Unix

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

From what I have read so far it runs in a ubuntu usermode, so it is bash on ubuntu on windows. Not sure what all it will actually support yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From what I've read so far, it sounds similar to what coLinux is already doing, but probably better integrated. Maybe inspiration is half that and half Cygwin.

Or perhaps rather, SFU/SUA/Interix but not horribly crippled.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 30, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Good, now they need to swap \ for / and C for sda. :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Just learn to write you heinously destructive commands in PowerShell you lazy bums.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PIssing me off:

That stupid, self-important rear end in a top hat that cuts me off in meetings to address what they think I'm saying when I haven't even finished what I'm saying. "yeah, good point, too bad it's entirely unrelated to what I'm currently talking about"

And then getting all defensive about it after they derailed everything and people start getting irritated.

I get it, you want to show off how smart you are. But you aren't fooling anyone. You are a moron who got where you are because you can religiously follow procedures in a run-book. That doesn't qualify you to address on architecture issues. Perhaps if you were remotely on topic, we might pay more attention to you. Just go back and watch your blinky lights.

Thank god I don't have to actually work with him day to day, but the projects that we're on that intersect, gently caress I hate those meetings.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Just learn to write you heinously destructive commands in PowerShell you lazy bums.

Blog post I read about it says he used apt-get to install emacs, ran emacs and then had to close the window because he didn't know how to exit emacs.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alighieri posted:

Blog post I read about it says he used apt-get to install emacs, ran emacs and then had to close the window because he didn't know how to exit emacs.
lmao http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alighieri posted:

:haw:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

That's the one. Comment lower down asks why ubuntu and not something like debian or centos. Can't make this poo poo up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ubuntu GNU/NT

I do want to know how much Linux code is in there, and how much is a reimplementation of the syscall interface.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nielsm posted:

From what I've read so far, it sounds similar to what coLinux is already doing, but probably better integrated. Maybe inspiration is half that and half Cygwin.

Or perhaps rather, SFU/SUA/Interix but not horribly crippled.

The big thing is that coLinux/AndLinux is still strictly limited to 32 bit Windows, while the new thing works on 64 bit Windows. So you don't have Windows and Linux restricted to about 4 gigabytes of RAM to share altogether.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Emacs devs didn't feel their job was complete until exiting their program was more obtuse than exiting vi.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe he missed the line below that about the Ctrl key and thinks he needs to hold shift and c on one keyboard, and then press c on the second.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

What sadist made the "exit" command for his text editor the standard "copy" and "cut" commands for windows machines since the dawn of time?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What sadist made the "exit" command for his text editor the standard "copy" and "cut" commands for windows machines since the dawn of time?

I think you are joking and know Emacs is older than Windows...

But who thought it'd be good to use Control-C for 'copy' when it was the 'abort' command in DOS/and even earlier?

> 10 PRINT 'BUTTS'
> 20 GOTO 10
> RUN
BUTTS
BUTTS
BUTTS
BUTTS
BUTTS
^C
>

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Emacs predates the dawn of time. And Windows. And indeed windows in the GUI sense. Oh yeah, and DOS.

Edit: and Unix job control I believe.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 30, 2016

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bob Morales posted:

I think you are joking and know Emacs is older than Windows...

But who thought it'd be good to use Control-C for 'copy' when it was the 'abort' command in DOS/and even earlier?

> 10 PRINT 'BUTTS'
> 20 GOTO 10
> RUN
BUTTS
BUTTS
BUTTS
BUTTS
BUTTS
^C
>

I was not aware of that, but yeah 1975 vs 1979.

I'm fine with the overloading of copy and break, the two are used in mutually exclusive circumstances.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I was not aware of that, but yeah 1975 vs 1979.
Windows isn't that old. The PC didn't even come out until 1981, Windows 1.0 was 1985

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Bob Morales posted:

Windows isn't that old. The PC didn't even come out until 1981, Windows 1.0 was 1985

I'm guessing the meaning there was DOS, wikipedia lists 86-DOS as being "demonstrated" in 1979 and released in 1980.

I asked my DID vendor if their control panel can give me an option to select time zone so that I can see call records in local time instead of GMT, and instead of telling me they're working on it he proceeds to spend almost two actual talking minutes trying to explain what GMT is and how it's the center of timezones and that everything globally works on GMT. Yes you rear end in a top hat, I know what GMT is, I'm just asking for basic display functionality found in basically anything I can possibly sign up for on the internet.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 30, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nielsm posted:

Ubuntu GNU/NT

I do want to know how much Linux code is in there, and how much is a reimplementation of the syscall interface.

I guarantee it's a reimplementation. Microsoft isn't going to set themselves up for a GPL lawsuit.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We are about to get hosed sideways by Microsoft because the people that used to be in charge of licensing decided it was boring and stopped doing it. The the person in charge of that department decided to ignore multiple emails from Microsoft over a few months asking for a status check on our licensing. He hired an outside company to audit our licenses thinking that would make MS go way for awhile. Instead they said that's nice, but we need this information real soon, and if you don't have it we'll come get it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I am at once sympathetic to your plight and :munch:-ing in anticipation of Microsofts wrath.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: Infoblox.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Really minor stupid poo poo pissing me off: "self punching" keystone jacks. What a piece of poo poo.

It somehow worked with a switch, it somehow passed all the line tests with my cable tester, it somehow powered my AP, but refused to let my AP actually get an IP or connect in any meaningful way. After lopping it off and replacing it with a proper punchdown, it works flawlessly.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I am at once sympathetic to your plight and :munch:-ing in anticipation of Microsofts wrath.

I'm just glad I'm not the one that gets to go in front of the board and explain how IT's budget is now either all going to paying off Microsoft, or is going to be doubled this year.

luminalflux posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Infoblox.

Before he left, my boss was super big into whatever Infoblox does. He kept going on about how we'd finally wrest control of IP addresses away from another group, but I never could figure out why.
So whats going on with it?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The IPAM part is actually OK, the DNS is just ugh. Like I had to click 700 times or something to clean up the SOA MNAME entry on a bunch of zones because by default it thinks it should be authoratitive and not the hidden master, even though the hidden master is configured first in the DNS server group we created the zones with.

Our usage of it isn't great either since we have an environment which started out with Infoblox in bare metal, and now we're shifting to AWS and Route53.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lightning Jim posted:

I think that might be the generic cert but I wonder if didn't regenerate

Also, things more more amazing me/pissing me off: a co-worker (who is also a goon) managed to get a really pissed off customer who was over his head and didn't seem to know it.
He called in complaining his NIC was bad and didn't work.
Cause of problem: NIC is 2 ports 10Gb SFP and 2 ports 1Gb CAT. Customer had plugged a CAT into the SFP port because it was "port 1".... This guys also claimed he has an CCIE so he of course he knew what he was doing... :psyduck:

That was it. SSHd in and did a racadm sslresetcfg and the HTML5 console is happy now.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Not pissing me off

Today is my last day as Tier 1 :)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

ratbert90 posted:

Good, now they need to swap \ for / and C for sda. :colbert:

Cygwin did a thing like "/cygdrive/c" so i bet it'll be something like that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

nitrogen posted:

Cygwin did a thing like "/cygdrive/c" so i bet it'll be something like that.

It's /mnt/c

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sefal posted:

Not pissing me off

:yotj:

Congrats.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
New job pros:
More money
Way, way less work
Pharma company
Some PCI, some HIPAA compliance

New job cons:
Micromanager
NetApp that is EOL and 90% cap
3 vmware hosts that are out of resources
No real concern about the last two from higher ups
Pretty sure the company is going under

Hmmmmm.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sefal posted:

Not pissing me off

Famous last words.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bigass Moth posted:

Famous last words.

You never get away from tier 1, you just are tier 1 for "higher level" people.

Which just means they're just as dumb or more but think they're more important.

:shepface:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
India did a great job of loosing this game.

So West Indies vs England.

How it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CitizenKain posted:

We are about to get hosed sideways by Microsoft because the people that used to be in charge of licensing decided it was boring and stopped doing it. The the person in charge of that department decided to ignore multiple emails from Microsoft over a few months asking for a status check on our licensing. He hired an outside company to audit our licenses thinking that would make MS go way for awhile. Instead they said that's nice, but we need this information real soon, and if you don't have it we'll come get it.

I kinda understand this attitude, but my company makes and sells software and we want to make sure our customers are properly licensed and pay the proper amounts. Why is Microsoft vilified for making sure that companies are compliant with their software licensing rules? It's more like, we didn't do what we were supposed to do, and we hosed ourselves.

I guess my perspective changed once my company started making money on software.