Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

After playing Alex for 5 minutes I think he's kinda boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Alex

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dude is a trooper, thanks

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I like Alex because his story mode was easy fight money. His story section was even more :effort: than Fang's though, which I thought was impossible. Bought Cammy's story outfit. Even if it's literally a military uniform with the pants removed it still looks better than her standard outfit. There are some other neat ones but I'm saving my money for beard Ryu.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Renoistic posted:

His story section was even more :effort: than Fang's though, which I thought was impossible.

HOW

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

A.o.D. posted:

They gave Vega his hyper fighting colors, finally. It's color 12 in the fight money store, if that's your kind of thing.

That is my kind of thing, thanks.

Also Alex is awesome. My only complaint being that he doesn't have his hitgrab command normal any more, but his Skill and Trigger more than make up for it. Cool that Hyper Bomb is an EX too!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shadaloo kidnaps him after he falls asleep

Fang has him fight simulations

He wakes up and then he's like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT"

Also Patty shows up and brings him an entire basket of sandwiches which he devours in five minutes, the man's a colossus

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Clothesline is cool, but it seems to be best for a mid combo tool. Guard Crush is actually pretty terrible and it seems the most you can get off of it is just a jab confirm into chop into super

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Flash chops are unsafe on block? What the hell, Capcom. :mad:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Baal posted:

Shadaloo kidnaps him after he falls asleep

Fang has him fight simulations

He wakes up and then he's like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT"

Also Patty shows up and brings him an entire basket of sandwiches which he devours in five minutes, the man's a colossus

It has one funny illustration though. That's one thing it has over Fang's story.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

They both have charge moves but they seem to be situational rather than their focus.

This is important to me because I'm poo poo at knowing whether I've got charge or not, so I can at least play them semi-functionally while I try and get that in my head.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 30, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I wish they would've made Alex's outfit from that one cancelled 3D fighter one of his unlockable costumes in this game.

Both of his unlockable costumes are decent, but I think this would've been way cooler.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Gammatron 64 posted:

tl;dr zand was right and I was in denial

thanks for the props but honestly, the actual gameplay when played at high level is entertaining enough. much like how in sf4, high level was entertaining as a spectator but the game was a loving chore to play. this game isnt really a chore, it's just kinda boring and unvaried. and it doesn't seem like its that BAD of a game, it's just milquetoast af. this game is definitely better than SFxT and it's probably better than SF4. imo the bad parts are how they patch everything cool that people manage to discover out of the game, and how they seem to err on the side of making everything weak instead of making everything strong and giving everyone strong stuff. asymmetry is fun but capcom seems to be terrified of it with this game.

and I will also agree that this thread is definitely one of the places that most negatively speaks about the game, which is great. with so many obvious problems and with how mangled the release of the game is, its a real shame that discussion of this game in other places doesn't come close to being as grounded in reality as the discussion that takes place here. if more people elsewhere talked about the flaws maybe it would force capcom to actually acknowledge their existence and do something about it. so hopefully, some of the negative attitude towards the game can flow offsite. 8 frames seriously come the gently caress on.

edit: also I can't be the only person that doesn't find the story mode art awful, can I? like it really isn't that bad, the only thing I don't like is that some of the art is drawn taking place inside of the training stage which is just stupid.

Zand fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 30, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Even if it's literally a military uniform with the pants removed it still looks better than her standard outfit.

I'm still hoping someone will mod in some trousers for her.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zand posted:

edit: also I can't be the only person that doesn't find the story mode art awful, can I? like it really isn't that bad, the only thing I don't like is that some of the art is drawn taking place inside of the training stage which is just stupid.

Given that this is the same guy who did art for SFA3, it looks like he suffered a stroke or really phoned it in

fnox
May 19, 2013

Necalli would really benefit from having a VA that can actually do a guttural voice.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Night Blade posted:

Oh wait, you're actually serious.

Here you go:

I wasn't agreeing with that guy, guy. :(

The input lag for SFV is really bad but you can at least turn off all v sync for PC.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Well I'm getting my rear end kicked all over the floor as Alex, but its fun anyway. HYPER BOMB

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Zand posted:

thanks for the props but honestly, the actual gameplay when played at high level is entertaining enough. much like how in sf4, high level was entertaining as a spectator but the game was a loving chore to play. this game isnt really a chore, it's just kinda boring and unvaried. and it doesn't seem like its that BAD of a game, it's just milquetoast af. this game is definitely better than SFxT and it's probably better than SF4. imo the bad parts are how they patch everything cool that people manage to discover out of the game, and how they seem to err on the side of making everything weak instead of making everything strong and giving everyone strong stuff. asymmetry is fun but capcom seems to be terrified of it with this game.

and I will also agree that this thread is definitely one of the places that most negatively speaks about the game, which is great. with so many obvious problems and with how mangled the release of the game is, its a real shame that discussion of this game in other places doesn't come close to being as grounded in reality as the discussion that takes place here. if more people elsewhere talked about the flaws maybe it would force capcom to actually acknowledge their existence and do something about it. so hopefully, some of the negative attitude towards the game can flow offsite. 8 frames seriously come the gently caress on.

No, I agree. SF5 is actually very solid as a competitive game. It cuts out a lot of stupid poo poo from SF4 and it's amazingly well balanced. Now I realize balance is no where near the top in terms of what makes a game fun - 3s and Marvel 2 are woefully unbalanced but are classics. (I know you hate 3s and don't care about balance.) There's a serious argument that can be made that SF5 is very plain and boring, but honestly, I think I prefer plain and boring over stupid frustrating bullshit. After 7 or however many years of playing SF4, I welcome Street Fighter "going back to its roots". Most players seem to just be glad this game isn't SF4.

The 8 frame input lag is also really WTF though. The thing is, I dunno if that's gonna get changed as it would totally change the feel of the game.

And yeah, the art in story mode looks like it was drawn by Japanese Rob Liefeld. Like, it's actually kind of shocking how low effort and low budget story mode is, even by Capcom's standards. And Capcom has been lazy since its inception.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

It's not great. You can tell that they must have realized pretty late in the cycle "oh poo poo we're not gonna have the real story mode done... quick throw something together!" The worst part is how most of the images are drawings of characters overlaid on top of straight up stage backgrounds with photoshop filters over them. Like this:

Zand is defending an aspect of SF5 that I am ragging on! Close thread!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Zand posted:

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Oh poo poo! You're bopping him!
                             \

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Do they even make fruit roll-ups anymore?

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Saint Freak posted:

Do they even make fruit roll-ups anymore?

You bet your rear end they do

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I wasn't agreeing with that guy, guy. :(

The input lag for SFV is really bad but you can at least turn off all v sync for PC.

then you go to a tournament and suddenly you're playing someone across the country

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
double post

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I used to be a big SFV cheerleader but the way Capcom has handled the launch is pretty indefensible. Also the v-sync input lag thing is ridiculous, I fixed it in about 10 minutes on my PC so I assume it will take capcom at least 3 months to acknowledge the problem. However, I think the base game they have is a lot of fun and I could see it growing really well if capcom can get their poo poo together. Also I'm not a great player so I can't tell if Alex is good or not yet, but I love all his weird moves and his 'tude so I'm probably going to switch to him, Frylock hair and all.

edit: Except his win pose is goofy as hell so I hope I get used to that in the future(or avoid the problem by never winning).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dracula Factory posted:

I used to be a big SFV cheerleader but the way Capcom has handled the launch is pretty indefensible. Also the v-sync input lag thing is ridiculous, I fixed it in about 10 minutes on my PC so I assume it will take capcom at least 3 months to acknowledge the problem.

I thought SF4 had the same vsync problem. Which to me isn't exactly the worst, but the problem really comes if you can't easily turn off the vsync.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I mean, not to defend Story Mode objectively (though I like it for what it is), but compared to 3rd Strike and the Alpha series the use of still art over the stages as backgrounds, SFV's Story Mode seems to be very similar and may have been what they were going for.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Jmcrofts posted:

It's not great. You can tell that they must have realized pretty late in the cycle "oh poo poo we're not gonna have the real story mode done... quick throw something together!" The worst part is how most of the images are drawings of characters overlaid on top of straight up stage backgrounds with photoshop filters over them. Like this:

Zand is defending an aspect of SF5 that I am ragging on! Close thread!
I know it's not the best art but it seems stylized in that direction even if the direction is a bit suspect

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Like, I think the best way to describe how I feel about the game is that it has a good foundation, it's just that we moved into the house before they put in electricity and working plumbing. On the flip side, SF4 was an all right looking house with lots of rooms on a crappy foundation.

Like, it's a miracle that Seth Killian was there. If not, dimps was going to use 3D hitboxes, no hitstop and a bunch of other terrible poo poo.

For me, games that have a glimmer of being good but are mired by problems sting way more than games that are completely and utterly bad. You can just write off totally bad games, but SFV is a game that could be great but just isn't living up to its potential. I really want this game to succeed, but Capcom is making it very difficult on themselves.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

What barrr is Alex?

Zand posted:

I know it's not the best art but it seems stylized in that direction even if the direction is a bit suspect

Like, that one frame I'm fine with, photoshopped stage aside, but then you have Xenomorph Laura and there ain't any amount of stylizing that justifies that. Her story mode overall is a disaster.

----

My sleep deprived rear end is even worse than usual at doing combo, how the gently caress do you cancel Nash's b+MK into DP or what's the timing for tenko into shoulder juggle my brain can't do it now? Maybe tomorrow my fingers will be better at doing stuff, bleh. Also I hate SF's input buffers please give me my DP from crouching without me having to do the shortcut I can get it on other games stop reading it as super ugh.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Why am I having so much trouble doing Alex's s.lp x flash chop

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

inthesto posted:

Why am I having so much trouble doing Alex's s.lp x flash chop

Do the taunt so it becomes a counterhit for longer hitstun? :shobon: Unless this is a trial.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

bhsman posted:

Do the taunt so it becomes a counterhit for longer hitstun? :shobon: Unless this is a trial.

Yeah I'm just trying to do trial 7 and the cancel window is not only super small, but if you cancel just a bit too late it doesn't combo

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

slev posted:

After playing Alex for 5 minutes I think he's kinda boring

Surprising since he is one of the most dynamic characters in 3rd Strike. I mean one character in a game with a roster as deep and engaging as this one can be forgiven I think, I'll give Capcom a pass personally!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I think Alex has a bit more going for him than some characters,

but he's still a SF5 char so it boils down to a few basic things.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
So while Alex is free to try, you can just farm out all the easy fight money out of him. At least there's that.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Maybe Alex got patched together like Nash

https://twitter.com/skarmand/status/715242147260211204

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, it's a miracle that Seth Killian was there. If not, dimps was going to use 3D hitboxes, no hitstop and a bunch of other terrible poo poo.

I don't know, I think the position Seth Killian held at Capcom didn't really mean jack poo poo in terms of how the game turned out (except for getting a character named after him, maybe). Didn't the dev team just not listen to his suggestions because he couldn't beat the devs/QA team or whatever? Some things from Rising Thunder seemed SF4'ish though, so maybe.

The same goes for Combofiend now. If he really had a say, I doubt we'd see the multitude of lovely nerfs and decisions with this game. They always just seemed like faces for PR to me with the added benefit that they were part of the FGC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dracula Factory posted:

I used to be a big SFV cheerleader but the way Capcom has handled the launch is pretty indefensible. Also the v-sync input lag thing is ridiculous, I fixed it in about 10 minutes on my PC so I assume it will take capcom at least 3 months to acknowledge the problem. However, I think the base game they have is a lot of fun and I could see it growing really well if capcom can get their poo poo together. Also I'm not a great player so I can't tell if Alex is good or not yet, but I love all his weird moves and his 'tude so I'm probably going to switch to him, Frylock hair and all.

edit: Except his win pose is goofy as hell so I hope I get used to that in the future(or avoid the problem by never winning).

They will never acknowledge input lag as a problem. The numbers suggest that Capcom made the lag on ps4/pc similar by adding extra input lag up to the lowest common denominator. The omission of an option to turn off Vsync was probably intentional because of this.

Seriously, 8 frame input lag is going to be the tournament standard unless Capcom can refine their game engine, which seems unlikely in the next year at least. I'm not sure whether to turn it off for a better online experience, or leave it on so that playing in person doesn't feel infinitely worse.

The input lag and hosed up netcode are really the biggest problems with the game, which sucks because they effect the experience for all players. It's stupid that I can't play my friend in Canada without one of us teleporting when I can play ST with my friend in Japan and it feels like offline. I do expect Capcom to eventually address the netcode, but it will take a while.