Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

DeadGame posted:

What's the right way to play Deathwing? Teleport them on the board with one of the formations that boost their deep strike? Or drive them around in land raiders?

As it stands there's no realistic way just *just* play Deathwing, outside of an Unbound list. The Deathwing Strikeforce formation doesn't really work as everything must start off the table and at best you'll get a couple of Drop Pods and their contents onto the table to survive an entire turn of enemy fire/assaults. Deathwing is best when just sprinkled into a standard Dark Angels force. You can opt for the more reliable Land Raider delivery, but it's a lot of points and can quickly go from awesome to awful if your opponent has any ranged anti-tank to speak of. Deep Striking is equally iffy, since you not only have to wait for it but you get to be clustered into a tiny pie-plateable area the turn you arrive unless you give up your shooting to run for better cover. There's really no best way, as all three options (the third being walking them around) have major downsides and only a few upsides.

I personally would probably go with Land Raiders because it's the most consistent option and does force your opponent to focus fire if they hope to stop you before you reach their lines. It's pricey, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I assume if you start the game with all your units in reserve, you instantly lose on the first turn?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

DeadGame posted:

I assume if you start the game with all your units in reserve, you instantly lose on the first turn?

Yeah, unless you have Drop Pod Assault so they automatically arrive turn 1. So you can't actually run pure Deathwing anymore - the formation picks a turn, 2-4, and it all shows up at once, and with FoC shenanigans gone there's no way to get Terminator troops in a CAD.

Space Wolves, I think, can run all Wolf-Guard in Terminator armor, and Grey Knights, but you can't go all-Terminator DA unless you run unbound.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Question about Chaos Havocs. Would running a squad of them as just the max number of Reaper Auto cannons work decently? I like reapers, and I figure they could double as a snap fire AA emplacement as well as shoot at infantry.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Four Score posted:

I guarantee you'll be unique

Fantastic

DeadGame posted:

What's the right way to play Deathwing? Teleport them on the board with one of the formations that boost their deep strike? Or drive them around in land raiders?

Don't. Termies are fragile and overpriced. Maybe as a bomb support piece or something but man don't to it, there are so many answers for them. When your best delivery mechanism is landraiders you have some real problems.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

Question about Chaos Havocs. Would running a squad of them as just the max number of Reaper Auto cannons work decently? I like reapers, and I figure they could double as a snap fire AA emplacement as well as shoot at infantry.

Havocs can't take reapers--they just get standard 2-shot autocannons. If you're going to run Havocs though, running them with 4 autocannons is absolutely the way to do it and yeah, they are your best bet for AA outside of a Heldrake.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

DeadGame posted:

What's the right way to play Deathwing?
Leave them at home on their display shelf and field Tau instead? Yeah, that's probably the best way.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Havocs can't take reapers--they just get standard 2-shot autocannons. If you're going to run Havocs though, running them with 4 autocannons is absolutely the way to do it and yeah, they are your best bet for AA outside of a Heldrake.

Thanks man. And yeah, I just meant regular autocannons. I forgot that the reaper is the two barreled one.

Hmm, looks like I will probably just go Forgeworld on this one because those new autocannons look awesome.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 29, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DeadGame posted:

Playing them alongside Ravenwing so you get teleport homers and stuff is helpful and fluffy and fun, but not exactly top tier. It's definitely the better option though. Playing pure Deathwing is an uphill battle, especially with how much AP2 there is out there these days.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

Thanks man. And yeah, I just meant regular autocannons. I forgot that the reaper is the two barreled one.

Hmm, looks like I will probably just go Forgeworld on this one because those new autocannons look awesome.

Yeah the FW autocannons are the way to go if you don't like the old metal ones. If you want to save money, you can convert them pretty easily by appending autocannon barrels to the Space Marine Devastator Heavy Bolter w/arms.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm I have more modeling inspiration than money sense so the nice FW models are probably what I am going to go with, though I did look into the heavy bolter conversion.

Seriously though, I really have a problem in regard to making my army economically. (I recently purchased a Sevatar off of ebay for the sole purpose of converting, and I recently received a Layak because I wanted the head for one project, and the body for another project.) The nice thing about the Sevatar is that the base is going to work perfectly for my Rainbow Warriors Librarian that I have been working on as a "paint something that isn't black" side project.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

I'm I have more modeling inspiration than money sense so the nice FW models are probably what I am going to go with, though I did look into the heavy bolter conversion.

Seriously though, I really have a problem in regard to making my army economically. (I recently purchased a Sevatar off of ebay for the sole purpose of converting, and I recently received a Layak because I wanted the head for one project, and the body for another project.) The nice thing about the Sevatar is that the base is going to work perfectly for my Rainbow Warriors Librarian that I have been working on as a "paint something that isn't black" side project.

Hey man, whatever makes you happy. I could have made an Imperial Guard or Ultramarines army for cheap by getting plastics from a discount retailer like Warstore, but instead I spent years hunting down 20+ year old metal models that GW hasn't made in over a decade. This isn't a hobby for people with money sense :v:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
We're less than three weeks away from The Flying Monkeys GT in Wichita, KS. Slots are filling up, we have 49 slots filled, and I think they're only going to 60-something.

If you're interested in the event, get your tickets now, also the cheap hotel room block is almost full as well (they are not expanding it).

The prizes are ridiculous for a GT of this size, they got a TON of sponsorship. Hope to see you there. I'll definitely buy any goon their first beer for Friday Night's Beerhammer. I know some of you are already coming, PM me if you want to meet up. The Flying Monkeys are a really good club, and we're all really excited to welcome you guys to Wichita.

edit: this will be a Major ITC event, FWIW.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Zaphod42 posted:

These are pretty sick, any tips for making good gold helmets since I'm about to attempt the same? Just layer a couple shades of gold and give it a nice black wash for shading or what?

For gold bits I've been going Balthasar > Gehennas > Agrax Erathshade wash > Gehennas highlights on all raised areas > Auric Armor gold edge highlights > Rune fang steel fine edge highlights.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DeadGame posted:

If nobody's gonna post this, then I will:

http://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

40k is maximum cheese. This is a super super old version of 40k though.

Uroboros posted:

For gold bits I've been going Balthasar > Gehennas > Agrax Erathshade wash > Gehennas highlights on all raised areas > Auric Armor gold edge highlights > Rune fang steel fine edge highlights.

Cool, the Agrax wash was the only element I was missing (was thinking nuln oil just by default, dumb), I've got Balthasar, Gehennas and Auric already.

Ah yeah I wanted to grab some runefang but my FLGS was out of it. I'll have to find a non-citadel equivalent (better prices anyhow, I'm just a noob so I've stuck to citadel so far) or wait until they get some in stock.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I had that photo saved as MyHero.jpg on my last computer. I love that story so much. And that's only 5th edition; not super old, just 2008-2012.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I just played a 5000+ point match of Tau vs Orks. We had to call it on turn 3 after my opponents Stompa exploded. Not because of anything going on in the game but because we had places to be. I think my brain sort of broke when our death piles started reaching 3000 points. Maybe I'm cured of playing 40k in the future?

That or he'll rope me into playing his entire 10k point army sometime in the future. I don't really have any pictures of the battle since my camera sucks, and we were short on time as it was. Also it mostly consisted of pictures of about 300 boyz strewn everywhere.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

I had that photo saved as MyHero.jpg on my last computer. I love that story so much. And that's only 5th edition; not super old, just 2008-2012.

The story is abit deeper than that :v:

It was from an ETC tournament, where everyone is a cheeser. The french dude who played Tau (which were very lovely back then) was basically sacrificed with orders of "Try to get 1 or 2 points". He ended up getting twenty.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

The story is abit deeper than that :v:

It was from an ETC tournament, where everyone is a cheeser. The french dude who played Tau (which were very lovely back then) was basically sacrificed with orders of "Try to get 1 or 2 points". He ended up getting twenty.

I thought someone said it was a lot friendlier than that story portrayed it, a while back.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

evilmiera posted:

I just played a 5000+ point match of Tau vs Orks. We had to call it on turn 3 after my opponents Stompa exploded. Not because of anything going on in the game but because we had places to be. I think my brain sort of broke when our death piles started reaching 3000 points. Maybe I'm cured of playing 40k in the future?

That or he'll rope me into playing his entire 10k point army sometime in the future. I don't really have any pictures of the battle since my camera sucks, and we were short on time as it was. Also it mostly consisted of pictures of about 300 boyz strewn everywhere.

What narrative did you forge to facilitate the mass slaughter for the Greater Good?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, the photo is staged but that was the real outcome of the game. They reracked and played for fun after.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

Hey man, whatever makes you happy. I could have made an Imperial Guard or Ultramarines army for cheap by getting plastics from a discount retailer like Warstore, but instead I spent years hunting down 20+ year old metal models that GW hasn't made in over a decade. This isn't a hobby for people with money sense :v:

I'm slowly accruing Arbites and Repressors to use as Inquisitorial henchmen (Acolytes with carapace armour, rhino transports, and their shotguns count-as storm bolters). I am dumb.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

MrSlam posted:

What narrative did you forge to facilitate the mass slaughter for the Greater Good?

"gently caress Orkz"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

evilmiera posted:

I would like to play a 5000+ point game, over two days, and with a lot of beer. And also with multiple people per side. That sounds like a kinda miserable time, and I actually like the game.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Apocalypse?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SRM posted:

I would like to play a 5000+ point game, over two days, and with a lot of beer. And also with multiple people per side. That sounds like a kinda miserable time, and I actually like the game.

40k feels like a massive slog past 2000 points to me, but sharing the burden of moving all those models could certainly help things along.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Well this is timely. I just finished a 6000 point ork army! Two hours before it hits the table! Been building this army for about 18 years, no big deal y'know. Hasty, lovely picture of it all:

Toyz before boyz! Screw your dumb mob rule table!

They'll be going up against my buddy's Tzeentchy infantry horde of CSM, daemons, and renegades. I, the ork player, might be outnumbered. This is going to be loving brutal as hell, I will take some photos so there is at least evidence of how I died for the cops to find days from now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Monoliths posted:

Well this is timely. I just finished a 6000 point ork army! Two hours before it hits the table! Been building this army for about 18 years, no big deal y'know. Hasty, lovely picture of it all:

Toyz before boyz! Screw your dumb mob rule table!

They'll be going up against my buddy's Tzeentchy infantry horde of CSM, daemons, and renegades. I, the ork player, might be outnumbered. This is going to be loving brutal as hell, I will take some photos so there is at least evidence of how I died for the cops to find days from now.

That army looks awesome! Looking forward to the pictures.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

40k feels like a massive slog past 2000 points to me, but sharing the burden of moving all those models could certainly help things along.
I've played some really fun 3-4k games, but they were almost all team battles and stuff like that. When you're hanging out with your buddies, attempting to strategize together, and throwing down your hams it can be a really fun time. When it's just 1v1 and it's an Apocalypse sized game, it's just a lot of waiting for the other guy without much to do.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

That army looks awesome! Looking forward to the pictures.

I've played some really fun 3-4k games, but they were almost all team battles and stuff like that. When you're hanging out with your buddies, attempting to strategize together, and throwing down your hams it can be a really fun time. When it's just 1v1 and it's an Apocalypse sized game, it's just a lot of waiting for the other guy without much to do.

I generally find Apocalypse to be pretty boring (and impossible to finish), especially if you don't have teams. The only time I've really had fun playing it (and also essentially finished a game) was when BuffaloChicken and his brother came down to game with my group and we did two tables that were 3v1, and about 3.5k points each. That ended up being less "one bigass game" and more "two simultaneous, somewhat-linked" games that kept things from bogging down as bad.

I like a lot of the ideas around scoring at breaks and strategem cards, but at large sizes it feels like you need 2+ days to actually play and finish the game and it's hard to make things more tactical than just "blow up mans"

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I played Apocalypse once (8 players, 2kpts each) and all my TMCs moved maybe three times in eight hours. Then there was sandwiches.

The sandwiches were the best part.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TKIY posted:

I played Apocalypse once (8 players, 2kpts each) and all my TMCs moved maybe three times in eight hours. Then there was sandwiches.

The sandwiches were the best part.

I once watched an Apoc game in the next room at our game store. It started around noon. I saw first blood happen in that game made some crack about "well pack it in, it's Emperor's First Blood we know how it will end," played a normal game, went and got drunk at lunch, came back, played a second game, went and got dinner and drinks, played pool/darts until 11:30 or so, went home, and saw they posted on Facebook that the game was finally over and it was decided on...First Blood.

gently caress Apoc games.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Finished my command squad and Rhino but my buddy hosed up painting the display, trying to decide how much effort I want to invest with less than 24 hours before Tourny.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

Finished my command squad and Rhino but my buddy hosed up painting the display, trying to decide how much effort I want to invest with less than 24 hours before Tourny.

Paint your army, displays only matter if you are going to seriously make it for best painted.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Paint your army, displays only matter if you are going to seriously make it for best painted.

Army is done, and technically I could have the display ready, it's just a matter of sleep at this moment. It would really make it all come together.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Ok, sorry to spam you guys again, last time for a while, I promise. But I just found out the value of our prize pool for the Flying Monkeys GT has reached in excess of $5000+ and we've surpassed 50 slots (making us an ITC Major) and only have 13 slots remaining.

So if you're free on April 15th-17th and want to make the trek to Wichita, KS - it's going to be a good time. There are also WarmaHordes, X-Wing, Malifaux, Blood Bowl, Beer Hammer and Imperial Knight Joust events.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Army is done, and technically I could have the display ready, it's just a matter of sleep at this moment. It would really make it all come together.

Do it, display boards are easy and if you have 24 hours it'll turn out better than my display board story that I've posted a few times in this thread. It doesn't need to be anything more than just drybrushed basing grit on a corkboard really.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Could I get some dos and don'ts for putting together a CSM army? I mean like I said before I'm not the most competitive gamer and I probably won't ever even play in tournaments, but I'd like to show up to 40k night at my FLGS and not get completely wrecked every time. I'd also rather know now so I don't buy a bunch of cool looking figures that I slowly decide are worthless and just sit there, although I kinda like collecting and painting as much as playing, so some units that I don't actually field isn't the end of the world.

I've heard a lot of people say that Chosen are worthless and not worth the cost over standard CSMs, that warp talons are garbage compared to raptors, that Berserkers aren't worth the cost because they're too hard to get into assault and useless until they do, that terminators are equally too expensive and too many things have AP2, Mutilators are completely worthless, hellbrutes aren't very good, etc. And in general it sounds like CSM are more expensive than SM but less powerful? Ouch. (How is it that SM have ATSKNF but CSM don't? They live in the loving warp! At least Slow and Purposeful isn't as bad as it used to be a few editions ago...)

I figure some of that is just the old grognards grumbling, or people min/maxing like crazy, but I also figure there's a kernel of truth to it as well. It sounds like most competitive chaos lists either as many Helldrakes as possible or Tychus with zombies, is that right? Kinda lame.

The list I was thinking about fielding would be like a terminator sorcerer with mark of tzeentch and whatever that other icon upgrade is for the really good invuln save, put him in melee with some CSM or Termies and let the force sword get some work between throwing out magic, then have two units of Thousand Sons as troops, possibly another Sorcerer as well to have tons of warp points, maybe even put that sorcerer on a disc of tzeentch and have him jetbike around throwing out magic, and funnel most of my warp points into the sorcerers and not the aspiring sorcerers (since they're stuck with just one tzeentch power, which everybody hates on for being the worst magic ironically, although doombolt and another spell seem pretty good) then have some Raptors to fast assault enemy heavies, maybe deep strike some termies or warp talons, and then have devastators or something as heavy backup.

How stupid does that sound and what should I probably avoid / pick up to make that kinda thing work better?

People seem to like forgefiends/maulerfiends, those didn't exist back when I played IIRC. I kinda like them and could be down to pick one of them up. I think Obliterators and Possesed look kinda dumb. I like Khorne Berserkers a lot but if they're not worth it I'm not going to force them.

I was just reading about the cheesy idea of putting an Ahriman in a Rhino and just carting him around to throw out mass warpfire attacks through the portholes and that sounds loving hilarious, although Ahriman costs so many goddamn points I could get a Land Raider instead. But Chaos Land Raiders are only so-so anyways? (Short of forge world)

Was originally thinking about picking up the Dark Vengeance Crimson Slaughter expansion for a cheap Land Raider and some termies and raptors, but now I'm not sure.

Help I need an adult :smith: Oh well, in the meantime I'm having fun working on my painting. Even if some of the figures in Dark Vengeance aren't so great they still look loving cool.

E: Ugh that was too many words.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SRM posted:

It was alright, but we were both stressed for time and after a while my opponent just got bored of trying to move around giant piles of Boyz forward towards my army. At that level he sort of forgot a lot of rules, and so did I, and what I'd put on all my units (used a lot of second-hand ones to bolster my forces). Even playing on an Apocalypse-sized board we just ran out of space real soon and things got clustered and confusing since we were still using mostly regular rules.

As for forging my narrative, I guess my Stormsurges got mad at his Stompa for being even bigger than they are and lots deadlier, so a fight had to happen.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Help I need an adult :smith: Oh well, in the meantime I'm having fun working on my painting. Even if some of the figures in Dark Vengeance aren't so great they still look loving cool.

E: Ugh that was too many words.

CSM is in pretty rough shape. The best things in the book are characters to carry relics, heldrakes, Typhus with zombies/oblits/havoks (kind of). The characters need delivery and the best delivery is honestly demonkin dawgs. My roommate plays demonkin dawg rush with 2 lords as his base and does very well with it. The Black Mace Nurgle demonprince is still a thing if you can support him and a L3 sorcerer with the Last Memory is a cheeky 18" nova that can be on a bike or in termi armor to mess things up. It's hard to say, but the best way to play CSM is to play Demonkin and ally in the bits of CSM that aren't terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Do Grots make Ork clothes? They have to make them en masse, it's hard to imagine that a single ork goes up to a single grot and says, "Oi, you make me a pair o squig-levver boots, a shirt, britches, an sum suspendaz wif da bukkles on em..." Maybe a ThredBoy makes all the clothes. He has instinctual knowledge of how sewing and tailoring works.

• Locked thread