Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GORDON posted:

I was using Plex as an App on a Sony blu ray player, I think it was the S5500. Go to the Opera Store in the BD player menu, install it, activate the code, and it worked fine.

After about 2 months it stopped working. Won't launch. It wants to open a browser window to tell me an error message but the error message screen wont load.

Plex support forums are full of dead links, it won't even search for "sony blu ray player" without erroring.

I can still access the server on browser and multiple PS3s.

Anyone know what's up?

Probably just an outdated app. The apps for smart TVs and Blu-Ray players are notorious for not being able to be updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

Probably just an outdated app. The apps for smart TVs and Blu-Ray players are notorious for not being able to be updated.

I considered that, the BDP app says 2.5.7. My PS3 says the same. Not sure if either are current, but the one works, the other doesn't.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GORDON posted:

I considered that, the BDP app says 2.5.7. My PS3 says the same. Not sure if either are current, but the one works, the other doesn't.

Hmmm do you have Plex Pass? I know PS3 doesn't require it but maybe the blu-ray player does now?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

Hmmm do you have Plex Pass? I know PS3 doesn't require it but maybe the blu-ray player does now?

I wondered about that, too. No, I don't have Plex Pass, but as I said, it worked for a couple months before it stopped working. Is there a trial period that I unknowingly signed up for when I created the Plex account?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cornjob posted:

It happening on content thats on 2 seperate HDDs. Ill keep troubleshooting.

teagone posted:

Maybe your hard drives are failing. Check using CDI? I had an issue with a dying hard drive when stuff wouldn't play in the past.

The movies play fine with vlc. Dont think its the HDDs

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there anyway to clear the cache of the app or something?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone used the roku tv to use plex? I have to get my parents a small TV for the bedroom and am wondering if that's a better experience with a single remote vs a cheaper TV + Amazon Fire TV box and the 2 remotes that come with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got a Roku TV in my bedroom for Plex. The only downside is sometimes the app tries to direct play / direct stream content that it thinks it can decode the audio on, but it fails for whatever reason (it will play, just without sound). It might be my favorite overall experience for Plex and there's zero chance of poo poo ending up on the wrong inputs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If I sync content to a Kindle Fire tablet, then watch stuff on that tablet, how do I delete the videos afterward to free up the space?

I don't have much experience with Android so I might be missing something stupid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it's laid out the same way as the iOS apps is... press the menu button, then press Sync, then press the item in question, then there's a Delete button underneath.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
What's the best way to use Plex with webOS 2.0, since there's no official app? I've looked at the 3rd party apps in the store but they seem to be pretty bad. I'm using the webclient right now but it's a pain to navigate and select small text. All I'll be using it for is Plex - are there any devices that are more reliable than others (Chromecast, Roku, etc)? My router is within 20-30 feet of my tv, but I'll be going over wireless.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
XPlay isn't terrible, certainly easy to use than the web client. You can get a free demo from the plex forums that lasts 10 days (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/168315/xplay-webos/p1), after which you'll have to buy it from the store.

Chromecast seemed to work fine, but having to use my phone as a remote wasn't great. I've not tried any of the dedicated streaming boxes.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
whoops. wrong thread

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking to replace my current Plex server which is an original i7 with 12 gigs of ram along with a dumb NAS I use for storage. I was looking at getting a QNAP TS-453A 4-Bay NAS but I'm not sure if it will do all that I need since I share my library out with my family and at times I've had 4 streams going at once, all of which I think were being transcoded.

Would it be worth just getting a Proliant and stuffing some drives in it or would the QNAP be ok? Most of the videos are less than 720p if that makes any difference.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That QNAP model looks proficient for what you'll be doing. It'll also be a helluva lot less power hungry than a Proliant.

4 streams transcoding at once at 720p or less should be okay but I'd search around and see if any reviews describe any limitations or troubles before pulling the trigger. And then I'd try to test it with your worst case scenario within the return period. Again, this is just to be double sure since I'm less familiar with how stressful transcoding can be with multiple users.

An Amazon review cited he could local stream a beefy 1080p (no transcode) and a remote user streamed a similarly beefy video (with transcoding) without any hiccups. So it'll likely handle 4 transcodings of sub-720p stuff.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I quickly scanned and didn't see it in the past couple pages, but Chromecast 2 now supports direct MKV streaming from Plex. Still transcodes the audio in my experience, but the video is direct play, meaning it barely even ticks the CPU up at all on my server. Awesome stuff!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tatsuta Age posted:

I quickly scanned and didn't see it in the past couple pages, but Chromecast 2 now supports direct MKV streaming from Plex. Still transcodes the audio in my experience, but the video is direct play, meaning it barely even ticks the CPU up at all on my server. Awesome stuff!

Oh cool. Guess I need to retire the chromecast 1 in my bedroom then.

edit: Wow this does work. Still has to transcode 10bit anime but 20 mbps regular mkvs will direct play the video without issue.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 31, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Oh cool. Guess I need to retire the chromecast 1 in my bedroom then.

edit: Wow this does work. Still has to transcode 10bit anime but 20 mbps regular mkvs will direct play the video without issue.

I'm double posting because I just checked and you can direct stream to the chromecast 1 as well. So I guess the chromecast 1 also supports direct streaming the video part of mkvs with h264 files in them now.

edit: Or it just breaks partway through and doesn't push audio right and the video acts weird. Great. I'll need to try some other files and see what's happening

edit 2: Yeah I have to force transcoding by limiting the bitrate to 12 mbps 1080p or the chromecast 1 can't handle it.

edit 3: Might be a "Can't push 20 mbps over 2.4 ghz wifi sort of thing" since it said it was getting throttled and it can handle 4 to 5 mbps mkv with direct stream on without issue

edit 4: yeah it's too far from the router and getting throttled by the wifi. Well that's annoying but at least I can just go back to transcoding at 12mbps if a file's too large.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 31, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

havenwaters posted:

I'm double posting because I just checked and you can direct stream to the chromecast 1 as well. So I guess the chromecast 1 also supports direct streaming the video part of mkvs with h264 files in them now.

edit: Or it just breaks partway through and doesn't push audio right and the video acts weird. Great. I'll need to try some other files and see what's happening

edit 2: Yeah I have to force transcoding by limiting the bitrate to 12 mbps 1080p or the chromecast 1 can't handle it.

edit 3: Might be a "Can't push 20 mbps over 2.4 ghz wifi sort of thing" since it said it was getting throttled and it can handle 4 to 5 mbps mkv with direct stream on without issue

edit 4: yeah it's too far from the router and getting throttled by the wifi. Well that's annoying but at least I can just go back to transcoding at 12mbps if a file's too large.

This is why video is hard. "1080p mkv" means almost nothing as to whether or not you can direct stream something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And Plex directly exposes that, which I do not love. Like having me choose a particular bit rate of 720p when I am syncing to my tablet. I do not have idea which one to choose.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

And Plex directly exposes that, which I do not love. Like having me choose a particular bit rate of 720p when I am syncing to my tablet. I do not have idea which one to choose.

This is why I wish I could disable transcoding. :toot:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

This is why I wish I could disable transcoding. :toot:

Yeah but then you run into my chromecast 1's problem where it can't take in 20+ mbps of data. Still I'm with you. If I could toggle transcoding on or off that'd be nice.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

havenwaters posted:

Yeah but then you run into my chromecast 1's problem where it can't take in 20+ mbps of data. Still I'm with you. If I could toggle transcoding on or off that'd be nice.

It's literally why I set mine up the way I did, so I would "never" hit that problem.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thwomp posted:

That QNAP model looks proficient for what you'll be doing. It'll also be a helluva lot less power hungry than a Proliant.

4 streams transcoding at once at 720p or less should be okay but I'd search around and see if any reviews describe any limitations or troubles before pulling the trigger. And then I'd try to test it with your worst case scenario within the return period. Again, this is just to be double sure since I'm less familiar with how stressful transcoding can be with multiple users.

An Amazon review cited he could local stream a beefy 1080p (no transcode) and a remote user streamed a similarly beefy video (with transcoding) without any hiccups. So it'll likely handle 4 transcodings of sub-720p stuff.

I'll look into some more of the reviews. In the meantime I'm gonna slowly start to convert (remux?) my libraries to .h264 mp4 files with sickbeard_mp4_automator.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tatsuta Age posted:

The Chromecast has always been able to direct play/stream content from a Plex server, provided it's an x264 or whatever compatible file that the Chromecast can decode. I've been direct streaming (direct feed video, transcode audio) on the gen 1 Chromecast in my den for a good long while now. The thing is there was originally a 12Mbps hard cap limitation for Plex on the Chromecast, so if anything being played from the Plex server was over that 12Mbps bitrate, it'd transcode regardless. It was until only recently that Plex removed the bitrate hard cap.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I've been using Handbrake on my movie DVDs, but I also have some TV series on DVDs and was wondering how to handle those. With Handbrake I believe I'd have to do it all manually, by converting each title and playing them to identify the episode, correct? Is there a more efficient way of handling series?

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Atomizer posted:

So I've been using Handbrake on my movie DVDs, but I also have some TV series on DVDs and was wondering how to handle those. With Handbrake I believe I'd have to do it all manually, by converting each title and playing them to identify the episode, correct? Is there a more efficient way of handling series?

Usually the titles are in episode order and about a certain length. Sometimes there's a "play all" title that's the length of all of the others combined too. I let Sonarr manage my ripped TV series, so I can just put them in an "incoming" folder with a filename like "Series S01E01.mkv" or whatever and it will name them all nice. Pretty easy to remember where I left off with the numbering on each disc.

Eventually I found a script to scan and rip all titles with HandBrakeCLI that I tweaked to use my HandBrake presets.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I mean I can use Handbrake and identify the titles, but then I'd need to go and manually name them by referencing the content on the disc, i.e., "ok, this is disc 2 which has episodes 5-7, disc 1 had 1-4 and disc 3 has 8-13." It's a lot more time consuming compared to just grabbing the main feature off a movie DVD, so I was wondering if there was some other software that would be more efficient for the task.

Sonarr is...a Bittorrent client? It seems to be able to manage media but is focused on downloading episodes from various sources? I've never seen it before. I'd like to focus on using Plex for my media management, because it's so good at it.

That script might work. I'm trying to read the code, and from what I can tell it'll streamline the process of extracting the titles/episodes, but might not name/identify them correctly (especially in the case of "disc 2+" where the titles don't correspond to episodes 1-X.) Also, I'd have to change the preset and figure out how to change the input from the optical drive to an ISO file. This is a step in the right direction, I think.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
Yeah I don't think there's any good database of disc ID's to title/episode metadata (and then whatever would be needed to drive HandBrake off of that). I'd love to be wrong, though!

The Sonarr step isn't really needed, I just use it because it gives me a little more metadata in the filenames (and I have different shows on different volumes, aggregated by Plex).

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Unfortunately there isn't really any "quick & easy" way to rip and title episodes. A lot of tv show DVDs have the episodes encoded in a different order than the broadcast order, and sometimes that even varies between DVD versions if it's an older show that has been published several times with collector editions or whatnot. Only way to really do it properly is biting the bullet and going title by title, by hand.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I wish there were an easier way to legally rip my tv shows, they make it so drat hard it's no wonder people :filez: everything.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Medullah posted:

I wish there were an easier way to legally rip my tv shows, they make it so drat hard it's no wonder people :filez: everything.

Yeah. Also watch out for handbrake throwing something into tags when you rip the dvd. It'll sometimes put generic data in there like episode5 or whatever which can mess up plex when it tries to identify what the show/episode is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Medullah posted:

It's probably easier and faster to just do that for the things you own.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My biggest annoyance is when the episodes are in production order on the dvd, but the TVDB has them in broadcast order. You can't choose which order to match with, so everything is mislabelled unless you rename the files. Ripping TV DVDs is a real arse of a job sometimes.

My second biggest annoyance is that the Monty Python's Flying Circus set has been encoded so strangely that Handbrake can't read them, even if I rip them to the HDD first.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's where Sonarr is useful for organisation as it uses The XEM to reorder things as they should be. The TVDb team are internationally known as being a bunch of cry babies who insist on using weird ordering systems that aren't useful for people.

---

I don't use 'Extras' in plex very often so hoping someone can help. I have a movie where there's a bunch of docs and BTS I'd like to watch, so I've made a folder called 'Behind The Scenes' as a subfolder within that movie, and plex shows them all when I go into that movie where I'd expect them to be.. So far
So good. But for some reason, it's also listed them within the main movie view too between existing stuff as if they were films in their own regards? Anyone had this happen? I've added music videos to concerts in a library with no issue before so not sure why it's messing up now.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'll put the TV series at the end of my workflow; I have no patience for another headache right now. I still have plenty of movie DVDs to extract and transcode anyways.

In other news, if you have external storage, here's a nice deal on a SFF system:

http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-elitedesk-705-amd-a8-256gb-mini-desktop

The APU should be good for two 1080P transcoded streams with cycles to spare. Should be a nice alternative to a NUC, especially considering this is a full system with OS rather than a barebones.

Less than 20 hours remaining on the sale though, so act fast if you're interested.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I decided running Windows 7 on an old desktop wasn't ideal for my plex server build. I am therefore looking into alternative operating systems and Freenas is the current winner. Anything else I should look at? Want it for a torrent box and plex server mainly. Perhaps time machine backups too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Trip report:

Bought a USB-CEC adapter from Pulse-Eight. Hooked it up, and after finding out that the date being wrong in your UEFI config (wtf RTC, are you already bad?) breaks PMP, it works! I think leaving my NUC unplugged for 2 days screwed with the RTC, which speaks incredibly poorly of it or that the battery is already shot. Screw the FLIRC, now I can use my TV's native remote. It reads all the buttons I care about. I think I'm completely set, and now I can bury the NUC somewhere out of site. I noticed this morning it's asleep, so I'm hoping the TV going on/off wakes it up.

Uses 0.7 watts off, ~6-8 watts playing back a 1mbps stream. Haven't metered it on a larger stream yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

H110Hawk posted:

Trip report:

Bought a USB-CEC adapter from Pulse-Eight. Hooked it up, and after finding out that the date being wrong in your UEFI config (wtf RTC, are you already bad?) breaks PMP, it works! I think leaving my NUC unplugged for 2 days screwed with the RTC, which speaks incredibly poorly of it or that the battery is already shot. Screw the FLIRC, now I can use my TV's native remote. It reads all the buttons I care about. I think I'm completely set, and now I can bury the NUC somewhere out of site. I noticed this morning it's asleep, so I'm hoping the TV going on/off wakes it up.

Uses 0.7 watts off, ~6-8 watts playing back a 1mbps stream. Haven't metered it on a larger stream yet.

CEC and the millions of other names it goes by thanks to stupid OEMs has always been finicky as hell in my experience. Glad it's all working out for you in the end :) I'd probably keep the FLIRC though, it's a nifty little thing that you could use on another PC or device elsewhere you want Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

teagone posted:

CEC and the millions of other names it goes by thanks to stupid OEMs has always been finicky as hell in my experience. Glad it's all working out for you in the end :) I'd probably keep the FLIRC though, it's a nifty little thing that you could use on another PC or device elsewhere you want Plex.

While I agree it is a nifty well thought out device I don't foresee ever using it again. I'm not going to return it because it works and small companies shouldn't be punished for my lack of research. If anyone in this thread wants it they can have it for the cost of postage. Thankfully my TV will never see a software update so it should just keep working "forever." If I ever put plex in another room it will be with this exact same setup (NUC w/ CEC adapter over HDMI.) Currently we just have the one TV though. Thanks for your help getting this going. Now if you kids would get off my lawn.