Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I went with my better judgement and invested in the Centurions. I wasn't really pleased with it with the meta build for the CN9-A. I put the engine to 250 instead. Kept the same layout but placed armor in my arms. Now I can tank poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
loving christ, I just watched a 228 cockpit 35 out of 48 mechs and the pubbies were calling it skill

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Grognan posted:

loving christ, I just watched a 228 cockpit 35 out of 48 mechs and the pubbies were calling it skill

I once said "228 cheats like crazy" and got yelled at for seven minutes straight over voip. I mean I was going to continue " or are so try hard competitive it makes no difference" but he wanted to rant about people who think cheaters are everywhere I guess.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

So that just happened. I kinda like my LRM-45 Awesome-8V. Probably going to look into a LRM-boat medium or heavy so I'm not taking up 80 tons but whatever, I earn my keep.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
If you must LRM please use the Hunchback 4J, it is so heavily quirked that it's 2xLRM10s basically fire as if you have 4 of them chained. You also aren't wasting a bunch of armor that should be up front and tanking.

Stringbean posted:

Kintaro look like they may be brawl worthy. Enforcers also look interesting.

Kintaros are not brawl worthy. Don't let the quirks fool you. They have god awful hitboxes, stupid weapon placement, are huge, and have no survivability.

Enforcers on the other hand are small, decently quirked, tanky as gently caress with great hitboxes, and are XL friendly. Biggest downside is that most of your optimal builds are symmetrical and your weapon arms are kinda low.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 30, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I can't break 100k c-bills solo queuing without my hunchback 4j. I'm killing my soul by doing this but it's the only way to watch netflix and get paid.

Why doesn't metamechs have a locust or cicada page? I want to go fast.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Locust guide: get the 1v, stick a single lpl on it with a 180xl. Maybe some armor.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Krinkle posted:

I can't break 100k c-bills solo queuing without my hunchback 4j. I'm killing my soul by doing this but it's the only way to watch netflix and get paid.

cicada 2b, 5mpl, biggest xl you can fit, all the armour

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
So after messing about with a Vindicator for two nights, I've decided that it's not much more than a fat, slow Panther. So I sold it and bought a Panther. Much better performance, so long as I can stick to my role of "Tiny rear end in a top hat that shoots distracted mechs with a pair of PPC's/Large Pulses." So far the Panther is also proving to be a tanky little bugger if I can keep running around the feet of my teammates.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
The Hero Locust is one of the good Hero robots. No robot can go faster than the Locust PB, and you can fit 4 small pulse lasers in there right next to the ECM. Did I mention that it goes fast and has ECM? Because it does.

Sure, you have to spend realbux to get it, but the amount you have to spend is relatively small. I don't regret buying mine.

Keep in mind though that it's still a Locust. It's agile, fast, and carries paper-thin armor.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Things I make fat loads of credits with:

BJ-3 (Triple LPL)
HBK-IIC-A (2x cLPL, 4x cMLas)
CDA-3M (ECM, 2 LLas, 2 MLas)
WHM-BW(Hero, 2x Gauss, 2x ER-LLas)

loads of money

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Always wait for sales if you plan to pick up a hero. They go on sale often enough that there's no reason to pay full price.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Krinkle posted:

I don't know poo poo about Cicadas but why do you need one for the Locust? 190xl, whatever lasers you can fit, and then double heat sinks till you're full.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you're a big spender you can get the Locust Mastery Pack for about $13. It includes the Pirates Bane, mechbays for all 3 robots, and 30 days of Hooray Time.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Son of a bitch:

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love it! That there is a victory worth celebrating!

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
A week or two ago we were running lovely lights (mostly NARC, tag, and flamers) in a small goon group. We drew the new Domination map. We won the map in just under two minutes by charging the center with our helper (lovely) lights, then sending all but one of the lights to the enemy side of the circle to distract and to block the bad guys. Our distracting robots managed to hold the bad guys off for the full minute necessary to win the round. Red team never even set foot inside the capture circle.

That was also a very satisfying win.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Hate to say it guys, I rebought an Ice Ferret

e: my son pressed my post button on my phone :(
But as I was saying, I bought another. It's actually really fun. Flimsy. But fast as gently caress and 5 ERMLas is great.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 30, 2016

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Krinkle posted:

Though there are no mastery guide pages, there are locust and cicada builds under the build database. I don't remember my exact Cicada build, but it was based off this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=36&l=ff8acbb11ee95978f0a622ff9b3811614a176a36
I'm pretty sure it was ever so slightly tweaked for an engine I had instead of buying a new one. At least that would explain my top speed being ever slightly faster, but I'm not in a place to login and look at my exact build.

I'm sure I could go higher DPS with other builds, but I like the cooler running UAC5, which has decent range, and doesn't leave a "HEY LOOK AT ME, I"M OVER HERE!" trail. Weapon Jam's can suck, but I find it a nice reminder that I'm a Cicada and probably shouldn't be standing in that spot for much longer anyway.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Stringbean posted:

I rebought an Ice Ferret

what

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

You read right.

I bought another.

Let me say this now. The newbie pilot will ask:

"Stringbean, everyone says the Ice Ferret sucks! Why did you buy one!?"

Well sir, it is most certainly not a great mech. It's not even a good mech. It's nowhere near a mediocre mech. It's got gently caress all for armor, it only has one single CT energy hardpoint. All it's weapons are located in its arms. It can't hill hump, it has trouble with ridges. You can't mount any considerable weaponry on it. 5 ERMLas ain't bad, but you could do better on a medium

It has speed, loads of it. If you can maneuver behind the red team, it tears up butts.

But even lovely mechs can be fun. Do I recommend it for everyone? no. Not at all. But if you feel obliged to get one, do so at your own risk.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

You read right.

I bought another.

Let me say this now. The newbie pilot will ask:

"Stringbean, everyone says the Ice Ferret sucks! Why did you buy one!?"

Well sir, it is most certainly not a great mech. It's not even a good mech. It's nowhere near a mediocre mech. It's got gently caress all for armor, it only has one single CT energy hardpoint. All it's weapons are located in its arms. It can't hill hump, it has trouble with ridges. You can't mount any considerable weaponry on it. 5 ERMLas ain't bad, but you could do better on a medium

It has speed, loads of it. If you can maneuver behind the red team, it tears up butts.

But even lovely mechs can be fun. Do I recommend it for everyone? no. Not at all. But if you feel obliged to get one, do so at your own risk.

Can confirm. Ice Ferret is fun as poo poo. But I'm great at making underdog mechs look good. :smug:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Poking around on the store, for 13 bucks you get the Pirate's bane and a month of premium. That's actually not a bad deal. And you get a couple throw aways with it for extra bays.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Anita Dickinme posted:

Can confirm. Ice Ferret is fun as poo poo. But I'm great at making underdog mechs look good. :smug:

Really we always forget there aren't a lot of actually bad mechs, but there are a ton of sub-optimal ones that get passed over because there's something else that does the same thing better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

veedubfreak posted:

Poking around on the store, for 13 bucks you get the Pirate's bane and a month of premium. That's actually not a bad deal. And you get a couple throw aways with it for extra bays.

A month of premium alone cost $15 (well slightly less but since you can't buy just 2500 MC you're stuck getting 3000 for $15 and having 500 left over). If you're going to buy premium anyway there is zero reason to not take the free mechs. gently caress, the come with bays so it's an even better deal.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

veedubfreak posted:

Make sure to keep the 1v if it is included. That and the pirates bane are the best.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Hardly any goons online the past two days, was there a rapture to a Good Game that I missed?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm on every night. Because I'm sad.

I just realized what would make the Ice Ferret better. ECM.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Melchior posted:

Hardly any goons online the past two days, was there a rapture to a Good Game that I missed?

Some goons have been getting on almost every night, so there might be some fatigue setting in. I imagine a lot of us will be on more when the Kodiak drops.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Stringbean posted:

I'm on every night. Because I'm sad.

I just realized what would make the Ice Ferret better. ECM.

That would at least make how little options it has both tonnage and slot wise marginally better. It's still a walking fridge and just about as combat effective.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Repo Man posted:

Some goons have been getting on almost every night, so there might be some fatigue setting in. I imagine a lot of us will be on more when the Kodiak drops.

I'm dialing back a bit until Papa Bear comes out

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I put a zoom lens on my mastered hunchback 4j to vacuum up those tag laser assists. Goddamn. I feel like a genius.

I have 7.5 million credits. I don't know whether to: finally buy seismic radar, buy a fast mech to annoy the poo poo outta people from a medium-long range (locust, cicada, raven), get a kitfox/nova and go triple ams and be a sad sack useless piece of poo poo just so we don't have to suffer under the rain of LRMs anymore.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Pattonesque posted:

I'm dialing back a bit until Papa Bear comes out

same

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I just kinda got bored of it again. I'll probably play once they do that heat change to try it out.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I'm a tiny baby at this game but I've been having tons of fun in a dumbass gauss-sniper Jagermech recently. :shobon:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Coolwhoami posted:

That would at least make how little options it has both tonnage and slot wise marginally better. It's still a walking fridge and just about as combat effective.

Despite it's retardedness, I've been averaging between 450 - 550 damage per match. The occasional outlier would be when I gently caress up and run into the enemy team at Mach speeds and get torn to pieces.

e: it also makes me feel like a special snowflake, because literally no one else drives this thing. In the... Let's say year I've played, I've never seen an IFR out there.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 31, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Stringbean posted:

Despite it's retardedness, I've been averaging between 450 - 550 damage per match. The occasional outlier would be when I gently caress up and run into the enemy team at Mach speeds and get torn to pieces.

e: it also makes me feel like a special snowflake, because literally no one else drives this thing. In the... Let's say year I've played, I've never seen an IFR out there.

IFRs are nasty light hunters. I think they're pretty neat.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Krinkle posted:

I put a zoom lens on my mastered hunchback 4j to vacuum up those tag laser assists. Goddamn. I feel like a genius.

I have 7.5 million credits. I don't know whether to: finally buy seismic radar, buy a fast mech to annoy the poo poo outta people from a medium-long range (locust, cicada, raven), get a kitfox/nova and go triple ams and be a sad sack useless piece of poo poo just so we don't have to suffer under the rain of LRMs anymore.

Don't buy a kitfox, if anything buy a cheetah. AMS works, but ECM is better and a much better use of tonnage. As for seismic, it's great if you tend to stand still a lot, not quite as useful for a mech that stays on the move. I'd suggest radar derp before seismic though, simply because if you're sniping, you're likely going to get lurmed a good bit more than you'll get snuck up on.

E: crossposting. Seemed relevant.

MECHA-SHIVA IS NOT A CRIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bviC1Yb71ys

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 31, 2016

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Melchior posted:

It's even worse in the non-US timezones :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Its getting harder to find a CW match these days, that's for sure.

• Locked thread