Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

VelociBacon posted:

I have big masculine axe-gripping hands and I got an SE because I like the smaller form factor and realise that iOS games are at best a weak distraction so it wasn't a big deal for me to have a smaller screen.

I'm also a fringe case in some of the ways I use my phone. The size and form factor of the 5s body is better for attaching to a telescope eyepiece for doing afocal astrophotography.

I have a lot of weird hobbies and I use my phone as a tool for all of them. In most of these uses a smaller phone is preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iTunes WiFi Sync is a pile of poo poo. It's on the same network as the paired computer (through an Apple router no less), they're both running the latest software, and they still can't find each other.

This poo poo has been happening since they introduced this drat 'technology'. My Time Machine backups happen wirelessly every day at 3am and every time I check it, says "last backup completed 3:10am yesterday" or whatever. Perfectly reliable. Have been able to go back in history way more than I should to retrieve things I deleted but maybe wanted back. iPhone though? Plug it in directly and it's like oh yeah, last backup was 20 days ago. Well, I didnt plug it in 20 days ago, so that was WiFi sync, but why did it work then and not now? Who knows.

gently caress iTunes. I've got their top of the line hardware running their most up to date software and it can't figure out how to sync? 20 days was probably the last time I restarted my laptop. Apple really needs to fix this. I've got a lot of poo poo on my phone so I really rely on the whole thing where I plug in my phone to power while on wifi, it backs up to my computer, then my computer backs up to a TM volume. But the iPhone - iTunes interface just can't keep up its part of the bargain. It works SOMETIMES.

This has been an issue since they introduced the drat feature. Is no one else experiencing this nonsense?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, I've never once had a wifi sync actually trigger. It is literally a non functional feature and they should delete it.

I even leave my phone on all night and plugged in, due to Sleep Cycle. It never ever works.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It can be like that sword from lord of the rings and glow blue when a smaller iPhone is nearby

Lmao

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It works to my phone (click and drag music) but transferring anything to my ipad (videos into VLC via the app menu) is faster and more reliable using a cable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I found wifi sync would work 90% of the time, but the 10% of the time it wouldn't would be when I really wanted it to. That goes for iTunes syncing full stop really.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

That goes for iTunes syncing full stop really.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh I genuinely don't have that much issue with iTunes to be honest (and I know I'm in the minority here). My library is about 200gb and it's not the fastest thing in the world, but I commonly use it for 10+ hours a day and it doesn't aggravate me. It's usually minor niggles at most, and given just how much data it's holding and has done for years I can't complain too much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you think anyone ever has used the iOS App Store feature in iTunes ? why isn't that in the OSX App Store app that already exists?

#JustAppleThings

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

enojy posted:

Any recommended aux cables with "headphone" controls built in, preferably on Amazon? I want to be able to use the two/three click shortcuts in Music to skip/go back tracks in the car.

I've used these Belkin cables a few times (fitting them inside snowboard jackets) and they work great. The controls are on a break-out from the main cable, which allows you to put it elsewhere from the route the audio cable is taking - may be a plus or minus in your case.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Do you think anyone ever has used the iOS App Store feature in iTunes ? why isn't that in the OSX App Store app that already exists?

#JustAppleThings

To be fair the "iOS App Store as part of iTunes" far predates the OS X App Store existing. iTunes is still well overdue a complete revamp, and as you say the App Store app is probably the best target for moving the iOS App Store, but the short answer is "laziness" rather than "complete oversight".

And yeah, I don't think iTunes Wifi Sync has worked once for me. Ever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well after 8 years of owning iPhones I finally dropped one enough times to crack the screen. gently caress this slippery oval office of a shape and gently caress Jony for being such a smug prick about a bar of soap. Literally fell 2ft from my hand to the sil of my car, then slid off into the gutter face down. I have dropped it from much worse heights before now.

I swear to gently caress if this shape is still around for the 7 Im getting a 5SE.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'd like to trade my phone in. how accepting of damage are carriers? there are some marks and scratches on the back, and some cracked glass near the lens. camera works fine, though, as does the rest of the phone. screen's fine too. only problems are those superficial ones.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Laserface posted:

I swear to gently caress if this shape is still around for the 7 Im getting a 5SE.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If the iPhone 7 isn't a single sheet of glass then jony hosed up big time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Its more the texture than anything else. some loving edges would help too, but just make the texture not so slippery.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Just ordered a SE, so happy to get rid of this huge slippery iPhone 6.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Jony release the iPhone 7 Industrial diamond cut treading on the back

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

To prevent government snooping the iPhone 7 will have no antenna of any sort.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

#JustAppleThings

Probably because Windows users don't have the OS X App Store.

Also the OS X App Store is real bad.

The only thing I sync anymore is ringtones and I pretty much do that once per phone, so I've never used wifi sync.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The OSX App Store is a wasteland of overpriced poo poo. It's kinda amazing how consistently bad it is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's almost like developers have discovered giving apple a cut of all sales is pointless on a system where you can just provide a download link on your website and users can install it on their own.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

#JustAppleThings
Not technically iOS, but I used the App Store in iTunes to buy Peggle for iPod Classic.
And later on I used it to buy Scribblenauts, a month before I bought my first iPhone, because I was amazed that a game I had actually heard of could be $1 and I didn't want to miss this amazing deal.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Laserface posted:

Well after 8 years of owning iPhones I finally dropped one enough times to crack the screen. gently caress this slippery oval office of a shape and gently caress Jony for being such a smug prick about a bar of soap. Literally fell 2ft from my hand to the sil of my car, then slid off into the gutter face down. I have dropped it from much worse heights before now.

A lot of your posts ITT are about dropping your 6. Did you not consider a saddle brown case?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Laserface posted:

Were you using a case? I'm guessing no.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Case wouldn't matter much, and distance doesn't matter much. It's glass. It shatters unpredictably because normal bumps and drops create fractures that can turn into full fledged shatters with seemingly minor taps.

Basically glass is shatter proof, until it isn't.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Case wouldn't matter much, and distance doesn't matter much. It's glass. It shatters unpredictably because normal bumps and drops create fractures that can turn into full fledged shatters with seemingly minor taps.

The existence of a case doesn't matter in the context of a screen breaking or not in a fall? Lol. I hope you don't do anything physical or risky for a living.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pivo posted:

iTunes WiFi Sync is a pile of poo poo.
This has been an issue since they introduced the drat feature. Is no one else experiencing this nonsense?

Same.

Also, the fact that playing music on your phone still doesn't update library play counts is kind of hilarious.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

xzzy posted:

Anything that increases the length of impact aids in reducing shatters. Soft materials like leather increase the cushioning and make the moment of impact longer, reducing the force applied to the glass. Hard cases, not so much. Its the difference between falling rear end first onto a pillow and falling rear end first onto a wooden board.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Anything that increases the length of impact aids in reducing shatters. Soft materials like leather increase the cushioning and make the moment of impact longer, reducing the force applied to the glass. Hard cases, not so much. Its the difference between falling rear end first onto a pillow and falling rear end first onto a wooden board.

Which is why I bought the saddle brown phone pillow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blimpkin posted:

Which is why I bought the saddle brown phone pillow.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
sometimes i just wedge my phone into a block of caramel, its a great snack during the day and it hardly slips out of my hand, unless im almost done with the treat/case! :xd:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Same.

Also, the fact that playing music on your phone still doesn't update library play counts is kind of hilarious.

I'm sure that worked for me... Just sporadically.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I bought the Peel case thinking it would be super thin and also make the phone less slippery. Unfortunately it did not make the phone less slippery. So now I am back to my apple battery case.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

The problem with the 6 is just grip. The case doesn't need to protect poo poo, it just needs to give you something to hold that isn't shiny and curved.

That said you can buy cases that very much protect the phone, if you need to. I watched a builder in my office knock his iPhone 6 off a ~15ft ladder twice in a 2 week period and it's fine. He claims he does this all the time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've used cases in the past on all my phones but ultimately they are all loving garbage to some degree and take away from the actual size of the phone. Like if I'm paying a grand for a handset, it shouldn't be covered up with some bulky plastic bullshit that wouldn't have protected it from this damage anyway. The 6 is pushing the limits of holdable size as is.

The thinness of the metal in the 6 means it's also really easy to tweak the chassis on safe falls like onto wooden floors or rubberised work areas. This happened and it led to the screen protruding from the chassis by about half a millimetre and hey guess where the damage to the screen and resulting web of cracks started from?

I slammed the hatchback of my car in my iPhone 5 and it didn't do poo poo to the phone. 6 fell out of my hand and hit plastic on the car, then the road and it's broken.

The only one I remotely liked was the apple bumper for the 4.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

So your caseless iPhone fell onto concrete/asphalt, and broke? Shocking.

They make bumpers for the 5 and 6 models. They aren't Apple branded, but they're basically the same. There are many cases on the market that add minimal weight and size to the phones. The Apple Silicone cases are a good example. My 6S has hit concrete more times than I can remember, and it's still flawless when I take it out of my beaten white silicone case (yes, it's time for a new case because I realize the integrity has been compromised at this point). If you want to keep your phone naked, that's your choice, but you dropped it onto a hard surface. That's what happens. Samsung makes rugged models of their phones. If you hate cases so much, maybe that's what you need to get next.

And I've seen plenty of iPhone 5/C/S's in the shop that didn't survive being slammed into car doors or hatches, so consider yourself lucky I guess.

EDIT: I will admit that the 6/6+ models were much more susceptible to bending issues, but from what I've seen, the improvements to the 6S have largely solved that problem.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 31, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont know if I would consider the plastic sill of a car door "hard". it fell to there then onto the ground.

my 4 slid off the roof of the same car onto the road and didnt break at all.

my ipad air also had a nice crease appear in the chassis at some point and that thing never leaves my god drat bedroom.

Thinness is cool until it starts affecting the strength of your materials to the point that someone can dent it by using it to read in bed.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Laserface posted:

I dont know if I would consider the plastic sill of a car door "hard". it fell to there then onto the ground.

my 4 slid off the roof of the same car onto the road and didnt break at all.

my ipad air also had a nice crease appear in the chassis at some point and that thing never leaves my god drat bedroom.

Thinness is cool until it starts affecting the strength of your materials to the point that someone can dent it by using it to read in bed.

Get hosed moron.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Get hosed moron.

lmao dont take it personally buddy. Unless you designed the 6, in which case YOU get hosed, moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It hit a plastic sill doesn't excuse that it went from there to 2 or 3 feet onto a very hard surface. A caseless phone dropped from a car into a gutter. What do you think would happen? If you had even a minimal case, it might have lessened the blow, but you didn't. And now you're here whining because you're too cheap to put your phone in a case. Good for you.

Edit: it's hilarious that you consider that hitting the plastic sill of your car door is somehow supposed to magically make your phone impervious to hitting concrete or asphalt right after. What is wrong with you?

I've seen plenty of iPhones that were broken because someone dropped them, going from the original iPhone up until now. The majority of them did not have a case on the phone. Your anecdotal evidence is horseshit. I fix iPhones every day. I've seen dozens of iPhone 4, 5, 6 that have been destroyed by slamming them into doors or hatches, or simply by dropping them in a gutter. The common denominator between most of them is that they didn't have a case installed. You rolled the dice and you lost. Get over it.

My naked phone hit plastic before hitting concrete! It shouldn't have broken! Are you a complete fool?

Oh yeah, get hosed, moron.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 31, 2016