Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Phoneposting so I cant link directly, but look up Keas on youtube. The phrase "shagged by a rare parrot", specifically.

It's also the origin of :parrot:.

You're thinking of kakapos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You're thinking of kakapos!

Dammit, I am too :cripes:.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Phoneposting so I cant link directly, but look up Keas on youtube. The phrase "shagged by a rare parrot", specifically.

It's also the origin of :parrot:.

i thought that was kakapos

edit: oops, new page.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So keas are basically the rear end in a top hat parrot every parrot wishes it could be?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They are like cockatoos who actively hunt livestock and eat them alive. Happily they are NZ's problem.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm feeling pretty relieved carnivorous parrots are isolated to islands in the middle of nowhere

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I'm feeling pretty relieved carnivorous parrots are isolated to islands in the middle of nowhere

Hitchcock's the Birds would have had a whole new level of fear in Australia or New Zealand.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

They are like cockatoos who actively hunt livestock and eat them alive. Happily they are NZ's problem.

I'm pretty sure the damage kea cause to sheep was wildly exaggerated just so rear end in a top hat farmers could shoot them with shotguns.

Which is why they are now endangered.

The damage they cause to cars and entire towns however is not exaggerated.

"Nice car you have there, shame if something were to happen to it" *eats tail light*

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Shirec posted:

Hitchcock's the Birds would have had a whole new level of fear in Australia or New Zealand.

'The Birds' set in Australia is just all the velociraptor scenes from Jurassic Park.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

'The Birds' set in Australia is just all the velociraptor scenes from Jurassic Park.
Ancient, murderous creatures on an island.

Are we sure Australia isn't actually just Jurassic Park???

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
That explains the constant John Williams music...

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tendai posted:

Ancient, murderous creatures on an island.

Are we sure Australia isn't actually just Jurassic Park???

We even bought in the army to deal with the living dinosaur menace once.

The army lost.

For reals.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Frogmanv2 posted:

We even bought in the army to deal with the living dinosaur menace once.

The army lost.

For reals.
That's the best wikipedia article just for that sidebar

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Years ago when I worked at a camping store, my boss had a pet emu.

I don't even live in the outback, this is in the capital city of Western Australia.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Do you still live there? I thought all non native parrots were banned from WA? You have a sun conure don't you?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Some cockies are proper gentlemen.

E: Dur. Thanks Tendai.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 31, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Do you still live there? I thought all non native parrots were banned from WA? You have a sun conure don't you?

Yeah, still live in Perth.

If non-native parrots are banned in WA then I don't think anyone got the memo. Lots of breeders of conures, indian ringnecks etc here and a few of the bird shops here have plenty of exotic parrots for sale.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Suntan Boy posted:

Fixed your image link

Look at that fucker :3: How polite

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Not banned, just restricted. I know for rainbow lorikeets you are required to have an avian license and a 2 door aviary.

We didnt, because gently caress that, but you are supposed to. Course, im pretty sure its people like us that caused the rainbow lorikeet problem in the first place.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Frogmanv2 posted:

Not banned, just restricted. I know for rainbow lorikeets you are required to have an avian license and a 2 door aviary.

We didnt, because gently caress that, but you are supposed to. Course, im pretty sure its people like us that caused the rainbow lorikeet problem in the first place.

HAHAHAHAHA WELP definitely didn't have a licence or 2 door cage for our lorikeet.

But considering he went from wild bird > pet bird > escapee, the net lorikeet gain in WA was zero.

Also: blame UWA for the escaped rainbow lorikeets, they had an aviary of about 30 or so in the 70s and let them all go and now we have a few hundred thousand of the noisy fuckers.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I got some video of Booberry practicing his budgie sounds and playing with his toys. If you listen carefully you can pick up some of the things he's trying to say from Skillet's vocabulary. There's for sure a Gimme kiss! at around 1:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlYgzmdQZPY

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suntan Boy posted:

E: Dur. Thanks Tendai.

Man, how do white cockatoos always manage to look so ragged. Yours and mine both always look so disheveled

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Mirthless posted:

If her feathers didn't lighten up/become more vibrant and she isn't losing any of her markings you probably have a girl bird (impressive crest for a girl birb, tho)

It's possible you've just got gay birds :shrug:

The breeder was super insistent that Skillet was a girl bird (And very disappointed, since she wanted a virile and talented male bird to use as a breeder, which is why she cut us a killer deal on him) and he is most definitely a boy so you really never know what you are going to get until the first molt. He is noisy as F tho and has been since about a week after we got him home so if your birb is quiet it's also a good sign she is a lady

I found a picture from when I first got Gillian. Some of the wing feathers are darker, but the feathers are mostly the same.

Here's my other birb making his birb noises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgpLmg0Ml8Y

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GoldStandardConure posted:

Years ago when I worked at a camping store, my boss had a pet emu.

I don't even live in the outback, this is in the capital city of Western Australia.

I live in Florida, thanks for the emus. At my last job, I drove past an emu farm on my way to work every morning.

My new job also has a flock of budgies that live in the area (downtown on the waterfront) and occasionally harass anyone who has food.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tendai posted:

That's the best wikipedia article just for that sidebar

A link, for the ignorant among us, specifically me? :shobon:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thyrork posted:

A link, for the ignorant among us, specifically me? :shobon:

I believe this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War but the sidebar isn't what it was, it's probably saved somewhere though

E:
maybe?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Hungry Computer posted:

I found a picture from when I first got Gillian. Some of the wing feathers are darker, but the feathers are mostly the same.

Here's my other birb making his birb noises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgpLmg0Ml8Y

Oh yeah, Gillian's probably a girl. As a plus, it works as a girl name too!

Battle Pigeon posted:

I believe this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War but the sidebar isn't what it was, it's probably saved somewhere though

E:
maybe?

There's a huge argument in the talk page over the military conflict sidebar. No fun allowed on Wikipedia, guys! Remember to donate to Jimmy Wales!

(That's supposed to be Jimmy Wales)

(I will never donate to Wikipedia)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

:australia:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Decisive emu victory" will never stop amusing me :allears:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How bad do we suck when we can only hit 12 emus with 10 000+ bullets.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the emus had armor? We can't rule anything out. Birds are tricky.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Armor would make them slower and therefore easier to hit. They probably just have a very high natural AC.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

blackflare posted:

Armor would make them slower and therefore easier to hit. They probably just have a very high natural AC.

Their Natural AC and dexterity are clearly very high but 10,000 rolls still means a minimum of 500 critical successes (on average). It's not AC that's responsible here, or even low attack rolls. It's gotta be high natural DR.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone post the Manly Guys comic with the armored raptors on minibikes :3: I'm on my phone or I would.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Wish granted! It's kind of a two parter to get the full experience.

And a bonus:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tendai posted:

Someone post the Manly Guys comic with the armored raptors on minibikes :3: I'm on my phone or I would.

Also this one! Which I assume comes before. :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

Their Natural AC and dexterity are clearly very high but 10,000 rolls still means a minimum of 500 critical successes (on average). It's not AC that's responsible here, or even low attack rolls. It's gotta be high natural DR.

Or they were just realllllllly wasted

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Machine guns in that era didn't really have a lot of range, would have meant getting alarmingly close to 20,000 emus.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

learnincurve posted:

Machine guns in that era didn't really have a lot of range, would have meant getting alarmingly close to 20,000 emus.

Range was the main issue, and the emus just scattered and fled from the stationary guns. So they tried mounting the machine guns on trucks for the second attack, but the emus outran them. That whole article is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcNhDstL4-k