Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

fade5 posted:

God the Azerbaijan/Armenia border is weird.

There's also smaller exclaves not on that map: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Armenia/@40.2739703,44.8656823,8z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x40155684e773bac7:0xd0b4757aeb822d23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

computer parts posted:

btw the top of that map is correct - Washington territory did use to extend out to where Idaho is today:

Old maps are cool. My dad has the above one, along with this one:

Pah-Utah...Pah-Utah.... wait - Paiute? Neato! :)

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Chinese policy textbook gives half of Sakhalin island to the Japanese.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

sparatuvs posted:

Karafuto shall rise again :japan:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

HorseRenoir posted:

Karafuto shall rise again :japan:

I'm going to send the Oxford University press editors an angry email, one of them is clearly a Japanese nationalist.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

twoday posted:

Do you know when this claim was made?

Don't know, it happened before 1781 so none of my research cared. And now that you ask, I'm really annoyed that I apparently didn't source it extending so far; while many maps show it as extending as far as the Tennessee, Mississippi, and Illinois Rivers, I haven't yet found any text backing that up. Hrm.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Why would you put the Danish and Croatian dot right on the edge of their respective countries?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why would you put the Danish and Croatian dot right on the edge of their respective countries?

Looks pretty close to the geographic center to me. You got something against Bornholm?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Heart of Denmark in Skne is fairly accurate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

dublish posted:

Looks pretty close to the geographic center to me. You got something against Bornholm?
Geographic centers should always be weighted. Also, a look at Norway makes it clear that this isn't a consistent approach, even if you ignore their overseas possessions.

kalstrams posted:

Heart of Denmark in Skåne is fairly accurate.
While that is true, the circle should clearly be much larger in that case, since the Swedes love to place immigrants and refugees among their southern neighbors, who they mock and look down upon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has there ever been an American academic that drew a clear line between Indian lands stolen by war --> recipients of Royal grants --> small farmers, state lands being ceded to the federal government after the Revolutionary War --> shady land speculators --> small farmers, Federal lands in the territories --> railroad companies --> small farmers, and western lands stolen from Mexicans --> corrupt officials --> small farmers?

There seems to be a real continuity in American history where land gets seized by bloodshed or theft, a shady middleman gets hold of it, the land is sold to unsuspecting rubes to profit the middleman, and then a generation or four later it goes back to being the property of banks, the government, or corporations. There must be a way to map this phenomenon.

The Homestead Act is the only really notable exception to this process.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sparatuvs posted:

I've seen this more than a few times on maps in China. I don't know why.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

"Britain is bursting at the seams with all these asylum applications".

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It only lists Syrians though. There are a fair amount of other nationalities seeking asylum as well. I don't think it's a significant increase in the British total but the Finnish figure for example is kind of misleading because in Finland the asylum seekers have been predominantly from Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia, and relatively few Syrians (they went to Sweden next door instead).

It's critical to remember it's not only Syrians that are involved, because the EU-Turkey deal relies on the pretense that it's only Syrians. Turkish law allows Syrians to get asylum in Turkey, but not Iraqis or Afghanis. The risk is that when people other than Syrians are returned to Turkey, they will be subject to refoulement.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 24, 2016

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Antti posted:

It only lists Syrians though. There are a fair amount of other nationalities seeking asylum as well. I don't think it's a significant increase in the British total but the Finnish figure for example is kind of misleading because in Finland the asylum seekers have been predominantly from Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia, and relatively few Syrians (they went to Sweden next door instead).

It's critical to remember it's not only Syrians that are involved, because the EU-Turkey deal relies on the pretense that it's only Syrians. Turkish law allows Syrians to get asylum in Turkey, but not Iraqis or Afghanis. The risk is that when people other than Syrians are returned to Turkey, they will be subject to refoulement.

Huh, didn't know that word before this.

There's also a decent amount of Nigerians that cross into Europe by water.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Here's an interactive map of historical battles. You can set the date range size and slowly drag around to see where the violence was happening at what time.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Echo Chamber posted:

Here's an interactive map of historical battles. You can set the date range size and slowly drag around to see where the violence was happening at what time.

As per english-language Wikipedia. Still a neat tool though.

I just realized that Europe is the Balkans of Eurasia

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Grand Fromage posted:

Pre-war borders to annoy the Soviets Russians.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Chinese should have infinitely more incentives to revel in Japan's losses than to annoy Russia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're going to keep slowly moving it north until Japan is located entirely in the Kamchatka Peninsula.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The Chinese should have infinitely more incentives to revel in Japan's losses than to annoy Russia.

I imagine there is some entirely pragmatic reason for it, Japan's interpretation of the Sakhalin situation coincides with their own claims elsewhere, something like that. That's usually what motivates current Chinese foreign policy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I imagine there is some entirely pragmatic reason for it, Japan's interpretation of the Sakhalin situation coincides with their own claims elsewhere, something like that. That's usually what motivates current Chinese foreign policy.

Upon review i seems there are many Chinese salty about the Qing dynasty renegging on the Treaty of Nerchinsk which awarded loads of land to China, including Sakhalin. The Chinese were forced to abandon these claims during the decline of the 19th century, so I guess nowadays the revisionists are not happy about recognizing the legitimacy of recent territorial changes - and maybe referring to Sakhalin as under Japanese occupation makes it easier to claim it? I dunno.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DarkCrawler posted:

As per english-language Wikipedia. Still a neat tool though.

I just realized that Europe is the Balkans of Eurasia

Not at all, Europe is just where the battles that Anglos care about happened.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In 1969, China and the Soviet Union had a nearly 8 month long low-intensity war over multiple disputed border areas:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The PRC has since formally renounced all claims to the Amur concession, though...?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Doesn't mean nationalists can't remain salty about it.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Upon review i seems there are many Chinese salty about the Qing dynasty renegging on the Treaty of Nerchinsk which awarded loads of land to China, including Sakhalin. The Chinese were forced to abandon these claims during the decline of the 19th century, so I guess nowadays the revisionists are not happy about recognizing the legitimacy of recent territorial changes - and maybe referring to Sakhalin as under Japanese occupation makes it easier to claim it? I dunno.

To clarify this is in an American published book. It is just a bad map.

e:also Hainan island

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 25, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Internalization of pre-WW2 norms of great power politics?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Mao being really mad about the Soviets?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chinese people seem pretty pro-Russia nowadays so I don't think that's it.

Honestly if I had to guess I'd say whoever printed the map Baidu searched "world map", clicked a random one to copy and didn't give a poo poo about checking anything except coloring Taiwan to match China.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Grand Fromage posted:

Chinese people seem pretty pro-Russia nowadays so I don't think that's it.

Honestly if I had to guess I'd say whoever printed the map Baidu searched "world map", clicked a random one to copy and didn't give a poo poo about checking anything except coloring Taiwan to match China.

But in the process, forgot to color Hainan Island.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

You mean the RSS Blas de Lezo?

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 30, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

There's a lot of great ones
https://stronglang.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/sweary-maps-2-swear-harder/

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

I'm the Bible Belt saying "dang" and Utah saying "effing."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It's fun how the entire state of Utah is a no-bullshit zone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

It's fun how the entire state of Utah is a no-bullshit zone.

It's also a no gently caress zone!

I love how whenever the north has a giant blue patch North Dakota is just randomly like "eh nope we're anywhere from yellow to dark red"

edit:

:stare:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In the -a form it's most often a part of AAVE, so that map makes perfect sense.

e: Except Reeves County, TX. They're probably just racist.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Most of those areas are predominantly black. I wonder what's west Texas' excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ah that makes sense, I didn't think even black people in America used the -a version as a swear word, so I figured it was just white people being awful racists.

Turns out that's just Texas.