Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Wasn't it right before the start of the Chimera Ant Arc that the timeslot for HxH was changed from evening time to sometime around midnight or something? That should tell you what people expected from this series.

It was halfway through. I believe the network caught too many complaints from parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Jostiband posted:

It was halfway through. I believe the network caught too many complaints from parents.

Could have sworn it was between seasons. I just remember things getting more graphic after that. Its a long way between Killua holding a bag with a heart in it and Pitou with Kite's head.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I felt Yorknew was a pretty big step up. Lot of bodies, poo poo like Uvogin biting a chunk out of a dude's head and the Indoor Fish.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

I felt Yorknew was a pretty big step up. Lot of bodies, poo poo like Uvogin biting a chunk out of a dude's head and the Indoor Fish.

The Indoor Fish were such a weird, sadistic power. I still sometimes wonder what the original creator must have designed that for.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

The Indoor Fish were such a weird, sadistic power. I still sometimes wonder what the original creator must have designed that for.

Indoor use, duh

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

interrogation probably

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Haha love knuckles over dramatic "death" scene in the park.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kild posted:

interrogation probably

Not sure how that would work, though, since the person getting eaten doesn't even feel pain. I guess they might reveal information just so they can be put out of their misery, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

Not sure how that would work, though, since the person getting eaten doesn't even feel pain. I guess they might reveal information just so they can be put out of their misery, though.

This is what I was thinking, yeah; you can't torture someone with them, at least not in the traditional way. Heck, the guy we saw them eat was just a portion of his head and a few other parts when Chrollo was done with him, and his reaction was bafflement and terror; while it's a horrific way to die, it doesn't seem like something that's ideal for extracting information unless you use it very particularly maybe.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

God drat I love watching training arcs in this show. Gon almost had knuckle, and I was wondering what his paper attack would be.

Edit: chapter 7 bankruptcy. Of course.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 31, 2016

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Goddamn I forgot about the Indoor Fish. :stonk:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Now we have a freaky crying fetus. What is even going on in this series?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Wonderful things :okpos:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Don't spoil Morel's ability

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kingtheninja posted:

Now we have a freaky crying fetus. What is even going on in this series?

Wait I don't remember this part

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Don't spoil Morel's ability

how loving retarded are you

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Kingtheninja posted:

God drat I love watching training arcs in this show. Gon almost had knuckle, and I was wondering what his paper attack would be.

Edit: chapter 7 bankruptcy. Of course.

knuckle is the bomb, love that guy srsly

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

how loving retarded are you

he wuz makink joke :ssh:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jostiband posted:

Impossible, I am the only forum member with a sense of humor. It is my nen power.

Katakana says CRAZY SMILE but kanji reads LAIGHING ALONE IN A SEA OF STONE.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jostiband posted:

ive been reading the jojo thread for too long

the aids has metasized to my brain

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eej posted:

Wait I don't remember this part

The 2nd baby in the Queen's womb I think.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how Hagya got that one friend of Morel's to "owe him" so that he could borrow his ability.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how Hagya got that one friend of Morel's to "owe him" so that he could borrow his ability.

I won't rip your head off with my Jaw that can easily rip human heads off.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I think killua might be the best bro ever. Watching him pluck rammots head off his shoulders was so fun.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kingtheninja posted:

I think killua might be the best bro ever.

You got no idea, buddy

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I actually don't mind switching over to the Phantom troupe for a bit. Where do I go for the rest of the series when I finish the 100 on Netflix?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kingtheninja posted:

I actually don't mind switching over to the Phantom troupe for a bit. Where do I go for the rest of the series when I finish the 100 on Netflix?

Crunchyroll has 'em I think.

That was how I watched the series back then.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The whole series is on Crunchyroll.

That's where I watched it.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

ive been reading the jojo thread for too long

the aids has metasized to my brain

It's ok man, you just need some time with cookie chan.

Wild Horses posted:

knuckle is the bomb, love that guy srsly

Out of all the many softie delinquents with a heart of gold I love him the most probably

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jostiband posted:

Out of all the many softie delinquents with a heart of gold I love him the most probably

Ahem

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I like Kuwa's hair less, even though it's way more iconic, sorry :(

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
A friend of mine kept recommending this show to me. I blew him off for quite show time until he finally got through to me last year. I watched it and it is truly one of the best anime I have ever seen. One thing I never figured out was during the scene where Pitou is healing kumogi and Gon calls her out with the timeframe Pitou needed to heal Komugi. Did Gon know the exact time. Or was he just going with the flow?

Also I never would have guessed i'd like ant king who slaughtered everyone even children in the beginning.

I really liked the friendship between Gon and Killua. With all the foreshadowing I was expecting Killua to betray Gon in some way. But that thankfully never happened. Killua is a true bro

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Not even Illumi's nen is stronger than the power of friendship.

And it's been a while but I think Gon just knew she was lying because of his strong instincts.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I always figured Gon was just trying to do his best to be a huge rear end in a top hat but accidentally failed cause Pitou was lying her rear end off.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think it was the opposite, Gon was so beyond pissed that he wasn't allowing for any of her bullshit. Considering he cut her time by half an hour because of the interruption, I'm pretty sure he knew the entire time she wouldn't take the whole two hours.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

I think it was the opposite, Gon was so beyond pissed that he wasn't allowing for any of her bullshit. Considering he cut her time by half an hour because of the interruption, I'm pretty sure he knew the entire time she wouldn't take the whole two hours.

Pitou did think it would require an Hour to fix her up. It just turned out that Pitou got much better at using Dr Blythe and fixed her up much faster then she thought she would.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/716048727555706881

April 16th for Toonami doing HXH apaprently

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Meruem's battle with Netero was a visual tour de force, no question, and an incredibly powerful moment, but hear me out.

I definitely don't disagree with what you're saying about the scene or why it works so well, but I think it falls short of other parts of the series for a few reasons. Pitou begging to be allowed heal Komugi before leaving with Gon wasn't overly unexpected, after all we see The King ordering Pitou to heal her. I guess it subverted expectations somewhat but it felt much more like a postponement, which it ended up being, rather than a subversion of a fight between the two. The rising tension whenever Pitou tried to divine how much Gon knew was great but the whole thing dragged a bit even when I watched it after airing.

The running theme of exploring what it actually means to be human using the actions of various ants was really interesting and well executed, however I felt like Pitou came out the least human of many of the important ones. His single-minded devotion to Meruem was interesting but far less so than Pouf's agonising over how best to serve The King or Youpi's agreement with Knuckle. It's a very powerful moment but it's not close to my top moments I don't think.

Netero against Meruem is great because in classic Hunter X Hunter style it shows us how little we the viewer know about the world. In the lead up to the palace assault we are repeatedly told Netero is the world's most powerful nen user but is still far beneath the Royal Guards. Our yardsticks for incomparable strength up until that point are The Phantom Troupe in Yorkshin and some of the upper tier hunters. When Netero finally enters combat you're expecting his skills to be better than other humans' but still presumably in the same league of power. Our first indication that even The Troupe look like children compared to Netero is when Pitou lunges at him the same way as when she tore Kite's arm off. Even more surprising than Netero knocking Pitou out of the air is how scornfully he looks at him when he does it.

Fast forward to Netero finally showing Bodhisattva to The King and the first few opening salvos where Meruem admits he can barely see Netero's hands. This ultimate being can't dodge or even defend the Bodhisattva he just so happens to be able to absorb the damage. It's incredible because every other powerful human we've seen up until now would be dead instantly. We have to entirely adjust our baseline of what exactly being strong is. What makes the entire thing so good though aside from the shock of just how powerful they both are is the "and for the first time in his life The King felt fear" scene. I didn't like how heavy handed the whole Little Rose stuff was but the moment of fear was exceptionally good.

I'm not even sure that's the best moment in the arc, I'd probably still give that to Gon's change because it's so horrifying to watch and such a good satire of typical Shounen power ups, leaving him with the child's voice was excellent in how disturbing it was. Yorkshin is the best arc though!

This is a lot of words on anime

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's ok. It's a good anime that just becomes better when placed into comparison with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

EmmyOk posted:

"and for the first time in his life The King felt fear"

that was savage as hell :black101: