Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

How do you get fairy food in this game? I feel like I've played at least a decent chunk of adventure mode and have only found one piece of food. Also, does your fairy level up if you keep doing their special move when you have full magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ragequit posted:

All right, that should hopefully explain everything. See you in 100 hours after 100%ing this thing.

Haha. 100 hours. Sure, kid.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'll never 100% the thing anyway, that was a fools dream in adulthood. Glad to know there is plenty to keep me occupied though!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Ragequit posted:

I'll never 100% the thing anyway, that was a fools dream in adulthood. Glad to know there is plenty to keep me occupied though!

For real, I've had this game since launch day and I've put way more time than I'm comfortable with into it and I haven't even scratched the surface of adventure mode.

The master quest map is kicking my rear end, at this point. I'm pretty much progression locked by "Defend the keeps with your life" and "Don't get hit" missions, which I just cannot do at all. Any advice on how to manage these? I have no clue how to do the keep defense missions. As soon as I book it to the nearest keep and defeat the enemy, another keep falls and I lose the mission. Every time. I've watched YouTube videos of some of them and try to replicate them exactly but I still cannot accomplish anything in them.

The don't get hit missions are just soul crushing. I'll try them over and over and over and end up making it to the enemy commander just to get plinked by a little punk at the last second.

Also, where's the best place to farm Argorok? I'm sorely lacking in his materials.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The defend the keep missions are basically about figuring out the order to take down the mobs in. Keep in mind that if you find and kill the lead goon then the rest of the mob is useless and you can move on. In this game they give the lead guy a health bar, it's almost always the bigger guy in the group anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

The defend the keep missions are basically about figuring out the order to take down the mobs in. Keep in mind that if you find and kill the lead goon then the rest of the mob is useless and you can move on. In this game they give the lead guy a health bar, it's almost always the bigger guy in the group anyway.

It's been long enough since I played HW that every time someone offhanded mentions a change I'm like "wait, it wasn't like that before? But it makes so much sense!"

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

The don't get hit missions are just soul crushing. I'll try them over and over and over and end up making it to the enemy commander just to get plinked by a little punk at the last second.

I haven't progressed too far into adventure mode, but if you mean the "All attacks are devastating" missions arrows totally break those from what I've found. I was getting my rear end beat until I started cheesing it with those.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Medium Cool posted:

I haven't progressed too far into adventure mode, but if you mean the "All attacks are devastating" missions arrows totally break those from what I've found. I was getting my rear end beat until I started cheesing it with those.

Nah, in the master quest map the missions have little stipulations to them, such as you can't heal or you can't block. One of them is like the devastating attacks levels, where one hit drops you to a quarter heart of health, but you have to complete an entire legitimate level without getting touched once or you don't get an A-rank, and most of the levels like this require an A to unlock the next map square.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

larchesdanrew posted:

For real, I've had this game since launch day and I've put way more time than I'm comfortable with into it and I haven't even scratched the surface of adventure mode.

The master quest map is kicking my rear end, at this point. I'm pretty much progression locked by "Defend the keeps with your life" and "Don't get hit" missions, which I just cannot do at all. Any advice on how to manage these? I have no clue how to do the keep defense missions. As soon as I book it to the nearest keep and defeat the enemy, another keep falls and I lose the mission. Every time. I've watched YouTube videos of some of them and try to replicate them exactly but I still cannot accomplish anything in them.

Also, where's the best place to farm Argorok? I'm sorely lacking in his materials.

I end up cheesing "Don't Get Hit" missions with Sheik, if I can. Her water shield (BY, then Y) absorbs I think... up to 4 hearts of damage? Keep that thing up at all times and be quick with your dodging.

If you can't use Sheik... welp. I got nothing.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Nah, in the master quest map the missions have little stipulations to them, such as you can't heal or you can't block. One of them is like the devastating attacks levels, where one hit drops you to a quarter heart of health, but you have to complete an entire legitimate level without getting touched once or you don't get an A-rank, and most of the levels like this require an A to unlock the next map square.

can't wait, this sounds miserable

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

larchesdanrew posted:

Item potion -> Light Arrow stunlock everything. That's the only way I could do it. Just wait for Twilight Map's second skultullas, it's even worse.

I have 4 missions left in Twilight Map, all of the Rack Up Your KO's. My guys just don't do enough damage to anything, even with 5 star 8 slot tier 3 weapons. Guess it's time to finally learn the rupee glitch to cheese Ghirahim/Impa/Agitha to Link's level.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Silver Falcon posted:

There character switching is useful, of course, but they also rejiggered giant boss battles a bit. If you have more warriors near them, you get bonuses like a refill of your magic meter and such.

And as a word of warning from personal experience, when the giant boss gets low on health, you might want to send your allies somewhere else, because if someone who isn't you gets the finishing blow, it doesn't drop anything.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My only real complaint is how zoomed in the map is in adventure mode. It's a huge pain in the rear end as is and I can't tell who's face icon is who's between all the links + linkle.

Yeah I hate the zoomed in map, it's awful. Telling the different Links/Linkle apart isn't too bad. Regular Link has the Zelda 1 style face, Toon Link has the wave hair thing over his head, and Linkle has two braids down past her head. I haven't unlocked Young Link though so I have no idea what his icon looks like.

Dunban posted:

Yeah, to make the second Skulltula appear, you need to play the level a second time. You also need to complete the first mission and kill 1200 enemies without taking more than 4 hearts worth of damage.

Actually I'll need to double check but earlier today I was doing an Adventure mode mission and the requirements for the second Skulltula were complete the first mission and take five keeps without taking more than 4 hearts worth of damage. This may extend to other levels as well, which would be nice since taking keeps is easier than getting 1200 KOs.

Vince Videogames posted:

How do you get fairy food in this game? I feel like I've played at least a decent chunk of adventure mode and have only found one piece of food. Also, does your fairy level up if you keep doing their special move when you have full magic?

If a level has a food icon as a reward in the level, then it's gold level and it'll be in a brown pot in one of the keeps. After you get a gold food item, you gain the ability to get the lesser version of that food item as a drop from an enemy officer (so after getting the Gold Deku Nut, you might get a regular Deku Nut as a drop). Food drops from officers are extremely rare, but maybe the chance increases the more gold food items you get. And I don't think they level up by using their moves, but I could be wrong. As far as I know you have to feed them to level them.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I keep having dumb ideas for what Linkle's second weapon will be. Roc's Feather combined with stompy boots, cucco feed, the fishing rod. Maybe a bug net that summons bees. This is what happens when I've got nothing to do at work.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I wish I could get the new characters on WiiU now instead of having to wait 'til summer. I don't have the new 3DS and I hear it doesn't perform great (plus all my progress is on the wiiU version anyway).

I miss it every time someone offers one in SA-Mart :/

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What do I need to do to unlock the last level in the first Adventure map. Just get all the Weapons/Characters, or are there specific missions I have to do.

And after beating that, the sealed skills on the Master Sword start to unlock, right?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Medium Cool posted:

can't wait, this sounds miserable

It's not quite as bad as it sounds. You're not graded on KOs for those, so you can just do the bare minimum required to complete the objectives without going out of your way to fight anything you don't have to.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

many johnnys posted:

I wish I could get the new characters on WiiU now instead of having to wait 'til summer. I don't have the new 3DS and I hear it doesn't perform great (plus all my progress is on the wiiU version anyway).

I miss it every time someone offers one in SA-Mart :/

check Reddit too; I've seen some people offloading codes there.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

jivjov posted:

check Reddit too; I've seen some people offloading codes there.

I don't have a reddit account so I'm unlikely to find a seller with a brand new one.

I will cop to making that post in hopes that some goon might not be using theirs and take a tenner.

Otherwise I'll wait 'til summer. I am stoked for every new character announced so far (it's very exciting)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Dunban posted:

In Adventure mode, they only appear when you capture keeps and as a reward for clearing a mission with an A rank. In Legends mode they are sometimes found under bombable rocks, vines that you have to hit with a boomerang and ledges you have to access with the hookshot.

Yeah, to make the second Skulltula appear, you need to play the level a second time. You also need to complete the first mission and kill 1200 enemies without taking more than 4 hearts worth of damage.

You can also only take a set amount of damage. For most missions that's 4000 (you can check your damage amount on the pause screen), though some of the more difficult missions in the northern part of the map allow you to take up to 10000 damage.

100 damage is a quarter-heart, by thew way.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

many johnnys posted:

I don't have a reddit account so I'm unlikely to find a seller with a brand new one.

I will cop to making that post in hopes that some goon might not be using theirs and take a tenner.

Otherwise I'll wait 'til summer. I am stoked for every new character announced so far (it's very exciting)

Check your PMs.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

liquidypoo posted:

I keep having dumb ideas for what Linkle's second weapon will be. Roc's Feather combined with stompy boots, cucco feed, the fishing rod. Maybe a bug net that summons bees. This is what happens when I've got nothing to do at work.

Since it's the Link's Awakening pack, my guess is Roc's Feather, Pegasus Boots, and/or the Flying Rooster.

Won't be surprised if Toon Link is getting a frickin train

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zelda already has a Phantom Zelda thing in her attacks, right?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Since it's the Link's Awakening pack, my guess is Roc's Feather, Pegasus Boots, and/or the Flying Rooster.

Won't be surprised if Toon Link is getting a frickin train

He'll get the pipes.

They'll summon a train.

And you'll have to blow into the mic to use them.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

ImpAtom posted:

Zelda already has a Phantom Zelda thing in her attacks, right?

I don't think so. You might be confusing Phantom Zelda with the statues in the Dominion Rod moveset.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Are there any devastating attacks that lets you pick the character? because I'm sure that wind waker Zelda is the best option for that. just hitting special fans out 5 tornadoes in front of you and kills everything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My dream of goofy doodle dorf has been ignored :negative:

Can just toss out my code later to someone then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

I don't think so. You might be confusing Phantom Zelda with the statues in the Dominion Rod moveset.

Oh, well, then I hope Phantom Zelda is the weapon!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

So Linkle is... wow.

I took her into the companion reward map and, at level one with her starter weapon, she completely wiped out every single mook in the level faster than my level 120 Link.

She's SO MUCH fun.

Also Toon Link's gimmick of just living in the air is wonderful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

So Linkle is... wow.

I took her into the companion reward map and, at level one with her starter weapon, she completely wiped out every single mook in the level faster than my level 120 Link.

She's SO MUCH fun.

Also Toon Link's gimmick of just living in the air is wonderful.

Linkle is easily my favorite character. She is absurdly fun to play. She has an awesome skillset that is fun to use while also being incredibly strong and she kills enemies with swarms of chickens.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Where can you get more monster horn? I barely used Skullkid and Toon Link because they haven't got almost any upgrades yet due to not having monster horn to make badges for them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally got my New 3DS and wow :swoon: Hyrule Warriors Legends GOTY forever.

While I found it surprisingly playable on the old 3DS (to the point where I no longer agree with the goon consensus of "don't buy HWL for O3DS"), it feels incredibly good to play this with a decent framerate. Having the ZL button for targeting is also pretty huge and feels really natural, and of course being able to use my amiibos is nice.

Also nth-ing the Linkle love, the range on her basic combo is insane for clearing out mooks and it makes "All attacks are devastating" maps pretty easy since you can just autoattack out of reach and still kill everything. Of course, the best part about Linkle is immediately using a strong attack when the map starts :kimchi:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The only way I will ever accept the 3ds Hyrule Warriors game is if we get a CDI Zelda DLC bundle.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

The only way I will ever accept the 3ds Hyrule Warriors game is if we get a CDI Zelda DLC bundle.

Well they've already announced all the DLC and I have some bad news for you...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rirse posted:

Where can you get more monster horn? I barely used Skullkid and Toon Link because they haven't got almost any upgrades yet due to not having monster horn to make badges for them.

Apparently the Wind Waker officers drop them, so in those levels I guess.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Your Computer posted:

While I found it surprisingly playable on the old 3DS (to the point where I no longer agree with the goon consensus of "don't buy HWL for O3DS"), it feels incredibly good to play this with a decent framerate.

The main reason people keep saying to stay away from it on o3DS isn't the framerate, but the fact that the enemy density on o3DS is roughly a third of the N3DS' enemy density, and the game doesn't adjust KO targets to match.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Having the ZL button for targeting is also pretty huge and feels really natural

:doh:

gently caress, I had no idea! I've just been either awkwardly trying to crab claw to the dpad or just outright ignoring lock on all together. Thanks for posting that!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vince Videogames posted:

:doh:

gently caress, I had no idea! I've just been either awkwardly trying to crab claw to the dpad or just outright ignoring lock on all together. Thanks for posting that!

Yeah, the tutorials and control prompts assume an Old 3DS and don't tell you about ZL and ZR

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the tutorials and control prompts assume an Old 3DS and don't tell you about ZL and ZR

This isn't true. The lock-on tutorial specifically mentioned ZL for the "new Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL."

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't true. The lock-on tutorial specifically mentioned ZL for the "new Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL."

Yeah I saw that when I started my game. Which is good that it did, because I wouldn't had known about it until I was reading it and saw that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Did it? Huh; I must've mashed right past that then.

• Locked thread