Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Thunder Moose posted:

So US getting Tomcats in both Air and Navy seems unfair if not awesome...
Well, it's competing for space in the naval tab with (HC) Abrams, Super Hornets, supply boats, and and solid AA and infantry choices. The naval tab in general is an unbalanced mess even by Wargame standards, this is essentially working as intended.

RangerPL posted:

xthetenth gave me a prod today which led me to :effortless: and release an updated Ural mod for the newest Wargame patches.
Cool! Thanks for putting in the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Thunder Moose posted:

I find having a single tomcat at the rear provides a decent deterrent - not the best craft but how are they garbage?

They don't reliably kill attacking planes in time to stop the bombs/ATGM drop, which means that you can't rely on them to save your M1A2 from that oncoming MiG-27. The further back from the line they are the safer they are, but doing so basically guarantees they won't stop the bomber. A single SEAD plane will have enough ECM to dodge the Tomcat's phoenix, forcing it to go through a lengthy aim cycle; and even if you hit you're at best hoping for a stun, not a kill. And are extremely vulnerable to being hit by a suicide IR missile fighter, while anything with AMRAAMs (i.e. SU-27PU or a Block 52) probably has sufficient accuracy and ECM to kill your Tomcat and evac away safely without taking too much AA fire.

Tomcats and MiG-31's are garbage now. You're infinitely better off getting a top-tier superiority fighter for only a few more points per card; or dropping down to cheapo-tier bombers/IR fighters for that card instead.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 23, 2016

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Ehhhh, tomcats can stun/kill some of the lower ECM attack planes. They're not as reliable as a well microd ASF, but if you think they're cool they aren't totally useless.

They won't stop Mig-27s though, nothing stops a Mig-27.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
By themselves they don't seem so hot but someone I play with keeps bringing them in, so I started sending the Korean SEAD plane along with it and together they wreck poo poo. The extra range means you can pretty reliably kill bombers that would normally make it out 'cause you get a free hit in.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, there's a huge divide between the way the game plays in 1v1/2v2 and how it plays in larger team games. More players mean smaller lanes for each player, so the game favors players bringing lots of high end units to dominate their zone, whereas small games feature tons of cheap spam to get coverage.

Not sure where the tomcat fits into that, just a tangential point I had in my mind.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
We just played a game where the other tryhard team was constantly splitting/regrouping groups of heavy tanks so that missiles would always miss, ATGM Jets would miss and fly off into AA, etc. it was pretty constant throughout the game, and we would have won if they didn't do it.

I'm actually surprised we don't see that technique more, it's unfixable in the games engine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If that becomes standard competitive play will be dead.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

RangerPL posted:

xthetenth gave me a prod today which led me to :effortless: and release an updated Ural mod for the newest Wargame patches.

Super appreciated! I got a new monitor in today so I didn't get to check it out as much as I wanted, but it looks good.

Amtranik
Feb 25, 2014
I did some coop vs AI games with heer and some with drinks. It's pretty crazy to see just how hard your own deck can kick your rear end.

You think everything is fine, everything is good. And then suddenly two dozen M1 / M1A1 Abrams are rolling through town and stun-locking everything, and the sky is blocked out by a swarm of jets. Next thing you know, all of your units are replaced with craters and your FOB is under siege.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

TsarZiedonis posted:

We just played a game where the other tryhard team was constantly splitting/regrouping groups of heavy tanks so that missiles would always miss, ATGM Jets would miss and fly off into AA, etc. it was pretty constant throughout the game, and we would have won if they didn't do it.

I'm actually surprised we don't see that technique more, it's unfixable in the games engine.

In that case, I'd be inclined to tell them to knock it off or else I'd just not continue playing them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ugh. My naive hope would be that targeting would always be done per-model, and groups would be purely a UI feature. But knowing game dev that's probably very hard to achieve.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

General Battuta posted:

Ugh. My naive hope would be that targeting would always be done per-model, and groups would be purely a UI feature. But knowing game dev that's probably very hard to achieve.

I can't think why it's particularly hard, given the relatively small limit on group sizes relevant to ATGMs (i.e. 4). I can see why it would be easier, faster, and less expensive to do it by groups. But holy poo poo any designer worth paying should have flagged that and said "UH GUYS NO."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leif. posted:

I can't think why it's particularly hard, given the relatively small limit on group sizes relevant to ATGMs (i.e. 4). I can see why it would be easier, faster, and less expensive to do it by groups. But holy poo poo any designer worth paying should have flagged that and said "UH GUYS NO."

I knew how to exploit it in ALB and I'd heard that it was a thing from EE.

Arglebargle III posted:

If that becomes standard competitive play will be dead.

Why? It's not like RTS competitive play believes that there is such a thing as too much micro.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
I wonder if i can out micro a longbow with some T-55s

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Tulip posted:

Why? It's not like RTS competitive play believes that there is such a thing as too much micro.
Erm, because it breaks all guided weapons?

It does worry me since I doubt it'll get fixed at this point and it does have the potential to ruin the game if people start exploiting it more.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Elukka posted:

Erm, because it breaks all guided weapons?

It does worry me since I doubt it'll get fixed at this point and it does have the potential to ruin the game if people start exploiting it more.

Oh it'll completely change the meta of the game, yeah. It'd make it unplayable for me, since I cap out at a scrub tier 40 APM, but it hardly seems worse for competitive play than things like stutter step.

And I don't see any reason it would get fixed at this point. If Eugen makes a 4th they might fix it then.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bob Wins posted:

I wonder if i can out micro a longbow with some T-55s

I had a longbow killed by a Zhalo.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
You can't make a F+F missile miss by dropping group. F+F won't miss a target even if they leave LoS. There is no extra hit rolls for them like there are with GUID/SA. Its exactly why you can swap targets immediately with a Longbow as soon as the missile leaves the rail. The unit can swap or lose targets and the missile still does its thing.

SA is semi-active, and all it means is the unit can shoot the missile while moving. It's still required to hold target the entire way.

It was something I thought a lot about when thinking how the Javelin might work in game when we had that discussion, because F+F is honestly a very big step up in power, as evident by the Longbow over something like the Akula.

Arglebargle III posted:

I had a longbow killed by a Zhalo.

That's pretty confusing, the 30mm range is only slightly lower than the Zhalos even if you were out of missiles.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 25, 2016

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
We're on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6vhXz8N4bQ

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

OctaMurk posted:

2) I think so, especially if you downloaded Dandywalken's Revised Campaign Mod. It's worth a run through anyways but it's primarily a multiplayer game.

Anyone got a link?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

reagan posted:

Anyone got a link?

http://forums.eugensystems.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=44459&sid=76294b67c403ea9a97c6a0e6e9a1a60c&start=530

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

poo poo, I didn't realize that was him.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

http://aoa.eugensystems.com/red-dragon-war-leaders/

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I like the Ronald Reagan one, Bravo Eugen, Bravo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TsarZiedonis posted:

Yeah, there's a huge divide between the way the game plays in 1v1/2v2 and how it plays in larger team games. More players mean smaller lanes for each player, so the game favors players bringing lots of high end units to dominate their zone, whereas small games feature tons of cheap spam to get coverage.

Not sure where the tomcat fits into that, just a tangential point I had in my mind.

I just started playing this again and yeah, I play mainly 10v10 tac games and the Tomcat can be a game breaker there.

Starting points of 3000 mean you only get 300 points. If you want that T-80UK you got 100 points left. You want that MiG-27? Your buddy gets no armor or infantry backup.

Buy a Tomcat and hold it back the first 5 or so minutes and let them get comfortable and the F-14 is going to be eating bombers for lunch for at least 20 minutes until they have the points to counter it, and you've effectively knocked another player out of the game by making them save.

Very situational, but I've seen a Tomcat knock out 2 players in the opening minutes by whacking tactical bombers and then having another save for a useless MiG to counter it. By the time it finally went down, we had rolled up the right flank.

Amtranik
Feb 25, 2014
I wish the MiG-31 was able to compete with the tomcat.

But I also don't want to see sky trains again.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I got a 48 hour ban from that forum thread. Apparently you can be banned for the crime of hurting pubbie feelings with a single screenshot. What a joke.

Maybe it's time to stop playing this game anyway. Matches are 95% total stomps and 5% interesting.

I hope they make a crazy fantasy sequel with all sorts of insane units or something. This series needs a change of pace.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Philman posted:

I got a 48 hour ban from that forum thread. Apparently you can be banned for the crime of hurting pubbie feelings with a single screenshot. What a joke.

Maybe it's time to stop playing this game anyway. Matches are 95% total stomps and 5% interesting.

I hope they make a crazy fantasy sequel with all sorts of insane units or something. This series needs a change of pace.

All they need is mod tools and the Milsim spergs will take care of the rest

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The 4chan video game generals forum thread has been dead for a while now so :rip: this game I guess.

While science fantasy setting would let them truly make for the game rather than the setting, a huge part of the draw for EE to begin with for me was the Cold War.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Xerxes17 posted:

The 4chan video game generals forum thread has been dead for a while now so :rip: this game I guess.

While science fantasy setting would let them truly make for the game rather than the setting, a huge part of the draw for EE to begin with for me was the Cold War.

All they really need is to set it in the same time frame, but this time in the desert. Video gamers loving love deserts.

Also yeah if this game was generic near future crap i wouldn't have even looked at it. See: act of aggression

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
We actually just played a super interesting 4v4 with a pubbie teammate that I should totally upload the replay for... Lots of helicopter spam, amphibious assaults and Japanese tomfoolery!

This game is still, like, 70% good for me.

I would pay $60 for a 2010 era Wargame 4

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

VikingSkull posted:

I just started playing this again and yeah, I play mainly 10v10 tac games and the Tomcat can be a game breaker there.

Starting points of 3000 mean you only get 300 points. If you want that T-80UK you got 100 points left. You want that MiG-27? Your buddy gets no armor or infantry backup.

Buy a Tomcat and hold it back the first 5 or so minutes and let them get comfortable and the F-14 is going to be eating bombers for lunch for at least 20 minutes until they have the points to counter it, and you've effectively knocked another player out of the game by making them save.

Very situational, but I've seen a Tomcat knock out 2 players in the opening minutes by whacking tactical bombers and then having another save for a useless MiG to counter it. By the time it finally went down, we had rolled up the right flank.

A strategy basically 100% negated by bringing a SEAD plane or ASF with high ECM in front of the bomber (which you should be doing anyway, especially in a game where you can't afford to lose things). That Tomcat will happily recreate the AIM-54's whiff record as it misses every shot, doing nothing of value.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Focus already publishes one 40K game. I'd say the obvious choice to make one last buck off the Iris engine is an Epic licensed title.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Philman posted:

Would pay all of my dollars for Wargame in the Infinity universe, especially if they could do cool poo poo with terrain types.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Focus already publishes one 40K game. I'd say the obvious choice to make one last buck off the Iris engine is an Epic licensed title.

Yes.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Would pay all of my dollars for Wargame in the Infinity universe, especially if they could do cool poo poo with terrain types.

Sure, why not.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DumbparameciuM posted:

Isn't that the anime titty game

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

And the upskirt mini game.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Leif. posted:

A strategy basically 100% negated by bringing a SEAD plane or ASF with high ECM in front of the bomber (which you should be doing anyway, especially in a game where you can't afford to lose things). That Tomcat will happily recreate the AIM-54's whiff record as it misses every shot, doing nothing of value.

Like I said, very situational.

It gets countered most times, but the times that it doesn't it plays a huge role in the victory. If you see the other team has a bunch of lower level players and you feel like taking a gamble, you could do worse things. Helps even out the inevitable team stacks, anyway.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 12, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

yeah it fuckin owns

also the reason Wargame is good is because it's Cold War. Anything else wouldn't be as good IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's stupid you're stupid.

• Locked thread