Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Just saw this on Reddit. 2 months out into the black, a brave pilot tries to buzz a canyon to show off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il75zE7wPeY

It should properly be titled "what's an altimeter?".

Hah, I did exactly this in my Diamondback Explorer yesterday, but only a few hundred LY into my trip. I survived it, at least, after grinding along like a giant piece of sidewalk chalk.

Sulked back to get repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

BMan posted:

You can get cargo racks at Takurua.

It's also the system where I get scanned to fail Shadow Deliveries. If I don't get interdicted on one of the jumps, I get the security scan from the station cops.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Truga posted:

Imperial courier actually doesn't have all that good lateral thrusters and will drift around quite a bit, especially under gravity. I'm 90% sure the vulture is better at that.

We were talking more about thrust/weight ratio which the only way I can really think of how to figure would be ship mass vs thruster optimal, the vulture is definitely superior in terms of agility and handling.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This conversation reminds me that we're never going to get the good military asp and it makes me sad because those hardpoints are amazing :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

RabidWeasel posted:

This conversation reminds me that we're never going to get the good military asp and it makes me sad because those hardpoints are amazing :(

The what?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hey the last think we need is more :ugh: variants

Cockpit variety is king

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

Even if we do, it will probably still have 2 Medium/4 Small hardpoints, much how the Viper MK4 still has 2/2 Medium/Small, unless it cost 30 million stock or something.

gently caress, somebody please give me a lower mid tier priced maneuverable combat ship that's just 4 Medium hardpoints. I want my goddamned Elite X-Wing and I'm needlessly salty about the Viper MKIV getting saddled with bog standard 2/2 because they refuse to give better firepower to anything that costs less than 2 million credits stock. Is 10 million credits for a gimmick fighter so much to ask?

gently caress you Cobra MKIV, you don't count.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Are the vulture and courier that far off the mark for you there? ~5 million credits is totally accessible if you like combat, which presumably you do if you want more fighter ships.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

timn posted:

Are the vulture and courier that far off the mark for you there? ~5 million credits is totally accessible if you like combat, which presumably you do if you want more fighter ships.

Vulture and courier are both wonderful (and now I can actually buy the Courier). But the Vulture still has a somewhat cramped jump range, and the Courier is a fragile snowflake of a hull.

Mostly though it's the stylistic "It would be cool if-" desire for a 7-13 million range ship with just 4 well placed medium hardpoints, with the further 'while I'm wishing for the impossible anyways' benefit of 6 internals and nice jumps.

But I really doubt we will be getting such a thing any time soon, even just regarding the hardpoints. FD seems to have some kind of hate on for massed Mediums unless it's attached to something expensive with bigger guns they can overcharge for. The FDL would never cost 50 Million without that large Huge hardpoint. And while it has no mediums, they tried charging about 20 million for the Vulture at first just because of having large guns, until people shouted down how bullshit that was.

Hell, even the i Courier itself is 2.5 million, despite only having 3 medium hardpoints. The DBE has a large hardpoint, and is only 1.6 Million. What the hell is up with that? Is that courier shield modifier really worth that much compared to the DBE having twice the jump distance and a bigger gun?

So something like a "Medium Sized iCourier with +1 hardpoint", people would sit up and notice if they tried charging as much as a Federal Dropship for that. Even if it still had a nice jump range and 6 internal slots on top.

There is still quite the big price gap between the Asp Explorer, and Federal Dropship. And all of the new ships since forever are either well above, or way below either of those in stock price.

EDIT: TL:DR: I'm mostly just Wishlisting to personal tastes. The Vulture and iCourier are still sweet ships.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 29, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

In the lore the Asp Explorer is basically a hosed up poo poo babby variant of a military ship with severely downgraded weapons and engines, since I think the ship looks cool and has great hardpoint locations but isn't very fun to fly I've been hoping that they might make another Asp variant as a Federation rank ship but by this point it's a pretty futile hope.

Section Z posted:

Even if we do, it will probably still have 2 Medium/4 Small hardpoints, much how the Viper MK4 still has 2/2 Medium/Small, unless it cost 30 million stock or something.

gently caress, somebody please give me a lower mid tier priced maneuverable combat ship that's just 4 Medium hardpoints. I want my goddamned Elite X-Wing and I'm needlessly salty about the Viper MKIV getting saddled with bog standard 2/2 because they refuse to give better firepower to anything that costs less than 2 million credits stock. Is 10 million credits for a gimmick fighter so much to ask?

gently caress you Cobra MKIV, you don't count.

:agreed: If they made a ship which was smaller and more agile than the FDL with 4M hardpoints and a class 5 power distributor I'd love it. I don't like how the fighter ships go tiny viper => much larger vulture => proportionately huge FDL / FAS.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
FWIW I think the issue is more the FDL/FAS are weirdly huge and chunky for what they are (or maybe the python is just too drat small to make any sense by comparison), but to each his own.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

timn posted:

FWIW I think the issue is more the FDL/FAS are weirdly huge and chunky for what they are (or maybe the python is just too drat small to make any sense by comparison), but to each his own.

Considering the medium Python easily holds more than even my large multipurpose iClipper I think it's pretty safe to say that's the issue there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Considering the medium Python easily holds more than even my large multipurpose iClipper I think it's pretty safe to say that's the issue there.

Internal slot space seem to be based entirely on the whims of the devs.

Though iClipper feels like the odd one out for Large ships. Every other large ship in the game is some massive mother fucker that's a bitch to get through the mailslot due to it's size and handling... Well okay, there is also the Orca, I GUESS. The iClipper can hold slightly more cargo than the Type-7, and is less hosed with no shields thanks to it's turbo boosters regardless of the fueltank size difference. Why? Because it costs slightly more I guess? That's still a "Multi Role" ship sporting as much cargo room as the dedicated trader in it's price bracket that will cause itself heat damage charging it's FSD with it's stock powerplant.

The iClipper feels like it's only large for the sake of selling a "Large" ship that wasn't an Anaconda or Type-9. That's always seemed a bit off to me far more than the Python counting as a Medium. And now we've got more and more "medium" ships that have even more mass than the Python. But of course those cost much less, so they are not allowed to have as much internal space as the Python.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 30, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know what would be nice?

A gutamaya shipyards version of the python.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's the clipper. It's only large because of the oversized engines, it's basically a medium ship at heart.

The large pad requirement is also literally its only downside. It's extremely fast for its size (one of the fastest ships in the game), heavily armed and armoured, has decent jump range, and plenty of internals. It'd be the best multi-role in the game if it weren't for its fat rear end, and it is hands down one of the best combat ships.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think the Federation sent me on a false flag operation. One Federation aligned Corp asked me to go one system over and murder 21 civilians from another Federation aligned corp (For 750K so of course I was going to). After my murder spree I canme out 750k up and about even on reputation gained from doing the mission and lost for murdering civilians. (Except for that one system where my bounty is now 250K, those guys hate me)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

That's the clipper. It's only large because of the oversized engines, it's basically a medium ship at heart.

The large pad requirement is also literally its only downside. It's extremely fast for its size (one of the fastest ships in the game), heavily armed and armoured, has decent jump range, and plenty of internals. It'd be the best multi-role in the game if it weren't for its fat rear end, and it is hands down one of the best combat ships.

If I could get a clipper with the python's size 7 power distributor I'd be a very happy camper.

Or a clipper that fits on a medium pad, either way.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
A while ago I finally got it into my thick head what the difference between planetary ports and planetary outposts is: For some reason I thought I had just bad luck when trying to land somewhere -until I suddenly noticed I could land only at outposts with the round symbol, not the other one.

So because of my involuntary sightseeing tours of planetary outposts, I tried out scanning some of those scan-towers you can find at small planetary outposts (the ones you can't dock with) and found out I actually get money from scanning them. Neat! You get either intel for the Empire or for the Feds and you can just go into your contacts of a station you're docked with and sell the data.

It's not much (something like 14-15k credits per scan), but at least I don't have to shovel heavy gold into my SRV, so it's a step up from finding random mining bases.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Saying the clipper is gutamaya's medium ship because it's not large at heart is pretty ridiculous. That is not an answer to anyone who wishes we had a gutamaya ship which actually lands on actual medium pads, not the medium pads of our hearts or some poo poo.

All of this would be solved by just making the Clipper medium in practice as well as spirit. Making the Python large would also be nice, but I think Frontier would dissolve first

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The clipper is pretty big. A T6 is about the size of the raised part/engine block on the back of the clipper.

e:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I was musing about pricepoints, reminding myself that the Federal Dropship used to cost more than the Federal Gunship does, and I got to thinking about the poor bastard that is the Orca again.

Oh my loving god. The orca can only make 4 jumps on it's tank. With an A Grade FSD and D grade everything else, it has a "fastest unladen range" of less than 65 LY.

You are the space shuttle bus, but even your jump situation is laughable even if Taxi missions existed. Why can't you do anything right orca?

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Saying the clipper is gutamaya's medium ship because it's not large at heart is pretty ridiculous. That is not an answer to anyone who wishes we had a gutamaya ship which actually lands on actual medium pads, not the medium pads of our hearts or some poo poo.

All of this would be solved by just making the Clipper medium in practice as well as spirit. Making the Python large would also be nice, but I think Frontier would dissolve first
I think as much as anything, they are afraid to make more true multipurpose ships. Instead of ships that are shorted at something whether it's a dedicated role or a multi role.

A Medium Sized i Courier would be incredibly fabulous in theory. But in practice if it ever existed they would likely make it a 60 Million Stock "Competing with the Python" deal. Unless they slashed some aspect of it to make it not so great at multitasking/travel.

Or maybe just slapping a single huge hardpoint onto it FDL style so they can put a big pricetag on it regardless of it's other capabilities.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Heh. True and true.

Obviously I'm an armchair rear end in a top hat making gross oversimplifications, but it seems like they kind of designed themselves into a corner when it comes to adding new ships. Everything is hobbled in some way, so everything new needs to be hobbled in some way too, to keep it from being an "everyone flies X" situation. It seems like they would have been better served starting off with a set of actually competent multirole options in various sizes, and then adding on things that excel in one area or another, or bigger versions of existing concepts as the game scales up. Now they can't do that without retconning the sizes or capabilities of existing stuff, which they seem extremely reluctant to do without a lore rationalization.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Saying the clipper is gutamaya's medium ship because it's not large at heart is pretty ridiculous.
It has a medium ship's internals, and a large ship's profile. Given that, how is what I said in any way loving ridiculous?

All of this would be solved by just making the Clipper medium in practice as well as spirit.
It won't physically fit on a medium pad because of the nacelles. You could remove them, but then it wouldn't be a Clipper would it. It'd be a poo poo white python.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They hosed up hard with the limited amount of granularity on module sizes - going up or down a size class on FSD or power distributor or hardpoints is a huge jump in effectiveness so there just isn't that much 'play' in the system for them to make a variety of effective ships. This is why unladen hull mass is such a clusterfuck stat, because it's the only way that they can make ships have meaningfully different jump ranges (like taking an asp from C5 to C4 FSD makes it go from 30+ LY range to ~14-15LY)

It's extra weird because the system is still jammed full of 'magic numbers' so the fact that 2 ships use the same engines or shields means nothing, they could have scrapped the whole module size system entirely with a minimal amount of game impact and just kept the E => A progression for each slot, though I suppose that fails to give the illusion of depth.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Tell you what, how about a Cutter with a size 8 power distributor. That would rock.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

They hosed up hard with the limited amount of granularity on module sizes - going up or down a size class on FSD or power distributor or hardpoints is a huge jump in effectiveness so there just isn't that much 'play' in the system for them to make a variety of effective ships. This is why unladen hull mass is such a clusterfuck stat, because it's the only way that they can make ships have meaningfully different jump ranges (like taking an asp from C5 to C4 FSD makes it go from 30+ LY range to ~14-15LY)

It's extra weird because the system is still jammed full of 'magic numbers' so the fact that 2 ships use the same engines or shields means nothing, they could have scrapped the whole module size system entirely with a minimal amount of game impact and just kept the E => A progression for each slot, though I suppose that fails to give the illusion of depth.

It would mean not needing to google up what space stations are selling A grades for the size class you want after the 5th station you check that's selling everything but what you want, yeah :v:

"Hello I'm looking for A grade Class 5 FSD and the last 5 stations haven't had any... Oh I see you have Grade E-B for Class 5, and E-A for everything smaller because I can just go gently caress myself because This Game Won't Hold My Hand™ okey dokey fine I'll just google it like everyone else.

EDIT: I would be less down on the random selection of parts, if places were at least guaranteed to stock the parts for the ships they sell in their shipyard. "Oh, this place sells Vultures, that means I can always find parts that fit on Vultures".

But no you get places that sell ships but still somehow don't offer ship armor or heatsink launchers.

tooterfish posted:

It has a medium ship's internals, and a large ship's profile. Given that, how is what I said in any way loving ridiculous?
It won't physically fit on a medium pad because of the nacelles. You could remove them, but then it wouldn't be a Clipper would it. It'd be a poo poo white python.

It's kind of implied anytime someone says "Make the Clipper Medium" that it would be slightly shrunk down to fit. Considering like you just said, it's still only got the insides of a medium ship anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 30, 2016

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I thought the Clipper was medium until I bought one and went to an outpost.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's python sized. It's not mass that makes it "large" (it's lighter than the python AFAIK), it's the nacelles.

If you shrunk it down, it wouldn't have the similar internals to the python. Your other option is remove the nacelles, which are the bits that make it fast (the extra engines have to go somewhere). So you'd be left with what's essentially a python... so just buy a python.

I wouldn't complain if it were changed, I'm just a little puzzled by this focus on the clipper's single fault when there are ships out there that are less than worthless. Frankly it's loving great, one of the best ships in the game. All the Imperial ships are superb in fact. The poor Feds on the other hand didn't have a ship worth flying until the FAS came along!

e:gently caress yo tables.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 30, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

It's python sized. It's not mass that makes it "large" (it's lighter than the python AFAIK), it's the nacelles.

If you shrunk it down, it wouldn't have the similar internals to the python. Your other option is remove the nacelles, which are the bits that make it fast (the extra engines have to go somewhere). So you'd be left with what's essentially a python... so just buy a python.

I wouldn't complain if it were changed, I'm just a little puzzled by this focus on the clipper's single fault when there are ships out there that are less than worthless. Frankly it's loving great, one of the best ships in the game. All the Imperial ships are superb in fact. The poor Feds on the other hand didn't have a ship worth flying until the FAS came along!

I think the issue here is you are trying to apply common sense by assuming the physical size of the i Clipper model has any bearing on what the developers gave it for statistics. So I can't really fault you for that.

Lore Reasons are only used by Developers (Any developer) when it's already fitting their desires, so they get to claim they are being lore concious for easy PR.

Meanwhile, lore can just go gently caress itself when it's not something they want.

Why isn't the i Clipper a Medium sized frame? "Lore reasons!"
Why don't we have tractor beams for scooping cargo and ore? "Lore reasons!"

Hey, previous Elite games had set and forget automatic mining devices. That's lore friendly, we've been asking about this since Alpha... This is where you say Lore Reasons, right? Hello?

and so on.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

My theory is it was always meant to be a medium ship, and then they compared the model to the pad for the first time and said "ah, gently caress".

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The funny thing is the clipper is kind of poo poo now. It used to be awesome, and it's still pretty decent, but it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. Ironically, I think it was a combination of the hull tank meta and the FAS that killed its popularity. I almost never see anyone flying them anymore. Why fly the clipper when you could be flying the FAS which is even more maneuverable, and a lot harder to hit?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
That there are only 3 pad sizes is goofy. Why can't the clipper fold up its nacelles to land on a medium pad? Why did they make the type 7 so tall?
How come some ships are heavier than physically larger ships?

Mysteries for the ages.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The way to make clipper fit on medium pads is have it retract nacelles like navy aircraft can do with wings when it lands so it can go inside the lift/hangar, IMO. Or don't. Outposts suck anyway :v:

e;fb

Realtalk, do any planetary outposts have large pads?

e: after a quick google, yes they do. I can live with that.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 30, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Retracting or raising the nacelles would be a cool solution. Alternately, scaling it down like previously said would also work fine, because loving nowhere in the ship roster does physical size have any practical correlation with size or quality of internals.

It gets focused on a lot because while a cool ship, it's nowhere as strong as the other large ships (for every role, one of them is better), and it would slot perfectly into the current medium lineup, both in character and cost.

Kakermix is right on the money that there should be more than three landing pad sizes, that would solve everything

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 30, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

My theory is it was always meant to be a medium ship, and then they compared the model to the pad for the first time and said "ah, gently caress".

Welp this is my new opinion on the matter, and also made me laugh. Thank you, space buddy :buddy:

I think it is safe to say we all love cool space ships. Even if the spread of exact opinions on the matter varies.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Section Z posted:

Welp this is my new opinion on the matter, and also made me laugh. Thank you, space buddy :buddy:

I think it is safe to say we all love cool space ships. Even if the spread of exact opinions on the matter varies.

Verily :goonsay:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Courier in Elite II had retractable nacelles, and it's much closer to a Clipper than it is E:D's version of the Courier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y5fptWFWCg&t=1425s

That might have been part of the original design for the Clipper, and for some reason they ditched it.

It gets focused on a lot because while a cool ship, it's nowhere as strong as the other large ships (for every role, one of them is better), and it would slot perfectly into the current medium lineup, both in character and cost.
I don't want to belabour the point, but I'll try to convince you one last time.

Look at the size comparison chart. Take into account the Clipper's nacelles and their pylons are thin, so the bulk of the ship is the sausage shape of the main hull. Now compare it to the python, which is a dense compact shape with zero wingy bits. The clipper is actually smaller than the python, an in it has less usable space. It just takes up more area because it's spread out, hence the need for a large pad.

I agree that internals don't always make sense, but in this case they do.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 31, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I find it completely fitting that the imperial's ostentatious ship design actually handicaps them in gameplay terms. Suck it, space rome.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

timn posted:

I find it completely fitting that the imperial's ostentatious ship design actually handicaps them in gameplay terms. Suck it, space rome.

You'd figure that Imperial-built outposts would always accommodate Imperial-specific ships. Imagine you are some Duke of Imperialisms and you are going to an outpost somewhere to check up on your slave holdings. Are you really telling me that I can't land my pimped-out Clipper at my outpost? Imps must not be as ostentatious as they think they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm about to go another round with ED, at least once my Rift gets here. Is there any stupid broke way of making money? Last time I was around was Robigo runs.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread