Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

BottleKnight posted:

Am I crazy in thinking that Pencil support is going to be a massive deal on a 9.7" tablet? When the 12.9" Pro came out a lot of critics mentioned how much cheaper the Pro + Pencil is compared to a Wacom workstation, but I think the Pencil opens up a lot of possibilities for casual artists, office workers, students. And 700$ is much closer to a mid-range laptop than 900$. I get it if you don't need Pencil support, but I really do think that's a killer feature going forward for the 10" iPad line.

I think it might be. I'm an illustrator who uses a Wacom every day. Since the big Pro was announced, I've been itching for Pencil support to come to the smaller sizes. The 12.9 is too big / expensive for what I see as being the Pro's best function (for me at least) - it's a digital sketchbook. I often work on roughs for clients in a regular Moleskine-style notebook when I'm out and about but I always need to get to a scanner / Photoshop at some point to actually do anything with my ideas.

The entry-level 9.7 Pro convinced me to give it a try. In theory, it's all I need to carry to do a pretty substantial part of my job from anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tenterhooks posted:

I think it might be. I'm an illustrator who uses a Wacom every day. Since the big Pro was announced, I've been itching for Pencil support to come to the smaller sizes. The 12.9 is too big / expensive for what I see as being the Pro's best function (for me at least) - it's a digital sketchbook. I often work on roughs for clients in a regular Moleskine-style notebook when I'm out and about but I always need to get to a scanner / Photoshop at some point to actually do anything with my ideas.

The entry-level 9.7 Pro convinced me to give it a try. In theory, it's all I need to carry to do a pretty substantial part of my job from anywhere.

Do update us on how it goes....

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Tenterhooks posted:

You guys know that the 13 inch Pro goes on sale, right? I got the 32GB 13 inch Pro for $700, isn't that like, what the small one costs? Don't get the appeal of the small one at all.

Just use the 13 inch for like 2 days, you'll understand. It's not too big.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

You guys know that the 13 inch Pro goes on sale, right? I got the 32GB 13 inch Pro for $700, isn't that like, what the small one costs? Don't get the appeal of the small one at all.

Just use the 13 inch for like 2 days, you'll understand. It's not too big.

It's $600, and will go on sale, I'm sure, as well.

Not that I particularly care. I'm not in the market for a new iPad, anyway, but cost isn't the only concern for some people.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I currently have a 64 GB Air 2. My wife has my old iPad 2 which is showing its age pretty badly. I'm thinking about getting the 9.7" Pro. Can I live with 32GB? The main usage for me is email, browser, Feedly and comic books. Doesn't the iCloud Photo Library automatically manage its space so it doesn't kill your storage?

I guess I should say that if I upgrade my wife is getting my Air 2 as a hand me down.

Also I am pretty sure i would use the pencil and keyboard. I actually bought a surface at one point and returned it because I didn't need a 2nd tablet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taima posted:

You guys know that the 13 inch Pro goes on sale, right?l

Outside of Christmas? Because I'd like to buy before September.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Tenterhooks posted:

Having had a chance to use both now, the drawing isn't exactly the same, to my eye. I notice the bigger pad has slightly smoother pencil lines. I have no idea why that is, all I can assume is perhaps the screens larger size allows for more accurate/differentiated ata being sent to the drawing apps. I may be imagining the less smooth lines, they aren't massively obvious. I'll see if I can take some screenshots and compare them in a day or two when I get mine delivered.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
New iPad Pro arrives tomorrow - looking forward to having it, forgot to purchase a smart cover though - checked the store, and they don't seem to do leather anymore, even as an option?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeast posted:

New iPad Pro arrives tomorrow - looking forward to having it, forgot to purchase a smart cover though - checked the store, and they don't seem to do leather anymore, even as an option?

Nope no leather smart cover for the Pro.

I'm going to recommend the Sena Vettra if you want a quality leather case. If you got the Pencil (and if you didn't, WHY NOT?) it has an integrated loop that holds it very snuggly.

http://www.senacases.com/vettra-ipad-pro

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

flosofl posted:

Nope no leather smart cover for the Pro.

I'm going to recommend the Sena Vettra if you want a quality leather case. If you got the Pencil (and if you didn't, WHY NOT?) it has an integrated loop that holds it very snuggly.

http://www.senacases.com/vettra-ipad-pro

Neat, thanks!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I got an iPad Pro 32gb and I noticed that it only has ~26gb of overall storage space. Is this normal? Is the iCloud storage counted in that overall gb count?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

So I got an iPad Pro 32gb and I noticed that it only has ~26gb of overall storage space. Is this normal? Is the iCloud storage counted in that overall gb count?
That's normal. The OS takes some space, and then there's the whole thing with how bytes are counted.

No, iCloud storage is separate.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Outside of Christmas? Because I'd like to buy before September.

The 13 Inch 32GB Pro was just $649 on the 11th of this month as a daily deal on eBay. It actually goes on sale fairly regularly.

That's why I recommend people get the 13 inch. People shouldn't so easily dismiss the 13 inch as too big; that's about perfect for use as a laptop or drawing device. The 4GB of memory also makes a big difference now, and it means that this tablet will be the most future-proof of the current lineup.

The only issue is if you think you would get fatigued holding it up when using it as a tablet.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 30, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
On further reflection I'm gonna get a 10" Pro. I like the size more as a sketchpad, and it just works into my life better that way, especially since I'm gonna be using a smart cover/case instead of a keyboard.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even through the new models comes out this week, I bought a 128 GB 13 inch model this week and I am loving it so far. That said, I never really had this issue when I had the Nexus 7 since it was way smaller, but what a good way to deal with finger prints and smudges on the screen?

Also I am very tempted to get the Apple Pencil, but curious if there is a third party stylus that is almost as good?

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

The only real issue I have with the 13 Pro is that the keyboard cover adds a lot of weight to it, so when you fold it back to use as a tablet while still attached to the keyboard its hella awkward. I rarely keep it attached if I'm not actively using the keyboard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Call of Cholula posted:

so when you fold it back to use as a tablet while still attached to the keyboard its hella awkward. I rarely keep it attached if I'm not actively using the keyboard.

Yeah pretty much this. It really doesn't fold back very well at all. I like it when I need the keyboard but I rarely keep it attached.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rirse posted:

Even through the new models comes out this week, I bought a 128 GB 13 inch model this week and I am loving it so far. That said, I never really had this issue when I had the Nexus 7 since it was way smaller, but what a good way to deal with finger prints and smudges on the screen?
Microfiber cloth. Buy them and carry them in your bag and leave them where you usually use the iPad.

Rirse posted:

Also I am very tempted to get the Apple Pencil, but curious if there is a third party stylus that is almost as good?
Not even close. Buy the Pencil, you will not regret it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flosofl posted:

Microfiber cloth. Buy them and carry them in your bag and leave them where you usually use the iPad.

Not even close. Buy the Pencil, you will not regret it.

That's what I was figuring. I highly doubt any of the other stylus would even be near the quality of the pencil. Thank you for the tip.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd be legitimately shocked if the Pencil interface isn't a closed API, such that no one could make an equivalent one if they wanted to.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Well I bought a Pencil tonight so I guess I'm committed to getting the 10" Pro whenever I find one.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Well I bought a Pencil tonight so I guess I'm committed to getting the 10" Pro whenever I find one.

I'm going to sell mine. 128gb, wifi, space gray. Logi keyboard case and 2 more amazon cases. Let me know if you're interested.

Edit: poo poo gently caress drat hell Apple. Sorry.

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 31, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

pipebomb posted:

I'm going to sell mine. 128gb, wifi, space gray. Logi keyboard case and 2 more amazon cases. Let me know if you're interested.

He said 10" though. I assume you're not selling a 10".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taima posted:

That's why I recommend people get the 13 inch. People shouldn't so easily dismiss the 13 inch as too big; that's about perfect for use as a laptop or drawing device. The 4GB of memory also makes a big difference now, and it means that this tablet will be the most future-proof of the current lineup.

The only issue is if you think you would get fatigued holding it up when using it as a tablet.

It weighs more than my Nexus 10, which was so heavy that I thought it was almost a joke. So yeah, I'm going to avoid 13 on weight alone.

Good info re: sales though. Thanks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

On the pro is there any way to customize which apps get pushed to the split screen thing? It's annoying having to scroll all the way through a bunch of apps I'll never use just to find the few that I will.

Edit: as an aside I'm loving the pro. I'm using it to replace my MacBook Air and so far it's meeting all of my needs. It's certainly louder than the MBAir, which is something I've always had an issue with. Now I can watch a movie in bed without having to turn off the air conditioner or air purifier. I got the Smart Keyboard and the Pencil as well. So far I'm not a huge fan of the keyboard. The buttons are a bit hard to push at times, which is something I'll have to get used to I suppose, but I do love that it automatically syncs with the iPad. The pencil is also pretty neat though I haven't had much chance to use it for real. I really like the drawing and note taking apps, and when I go back to school this semester I'll try taking notes on this thing rather than on paper.

Question: Does anyone know if Apple sells a case that can be worn with the Smart Keyboard and will hold the pencil? Right now I have the pencil in the box it came in but I'd much prefer if I could just slip it into a slot somewhere.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 31, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

It weighs more than my Nexus 10, which was so heavy that I thought it was almost a joke. So yeah, I'm going to avoid 13 on weight alone.

Good info re: sales though. Thanks.

Sure, if you find 1.5 pounds to be a burden, then by all means give it a skip. I maintain however that there are plenty of people for whom that weight is not a big deal, and for those people, they may be doing themselves a disservice getting the smaller Pro. Especially given that the smaller version has fully half the RAM, and a lower clocked chip.

It's not a stretch to say that the 13 inch Pro may last an entire generation longer than the smaller Pro, as RAM is a bigger bottleneck than people realize.

I think that's why Apple has classically been SUPER stingy with RAM... it's one of the ways that they make new devices perform better than older ones. In other words, it's no mistake that the Air 1 has a paltry 1GB of RAM, and the Air 2 has only 2GB, and the Pro 13 has 4GB. It's a totally artificial way to keep machines from being future-proof. But 4GB will be plenty for years to come. Really can't say that about 2GB.

But anyways I've made my point so I will stop, carry on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Taima posted:

Sure, if you find 1.5 pounds to be a burden, then by all means give it a skip. I maintain however that there are plenty of people for whom that weight is not a big deal, and for those people, they may be doing themselves a disservice getting the smaller Pro. Especially given that the smaller version has fully half the RAM, and a lower clocked chip.

It's not a stretch to say that the 13 inch Pro may last an entire generation longer than the smaller Pro, as RAM is a bigger bottleneck than people realize.

I think that's why Apple has classically been SUPER stingy with RAM... it's one of the ways that they make new devices perform better than older ones. In other words, it's no mistake that the Air 1 has a paltry 1GB of RAM, and the Air 2 has only 2GB, and the Pro 13 has 4GB. It's a totally artificial way to keep machines from being future-proof. But 4GB will be plenty for years to come. Really can't say that about 2GB.

But anyways I've made my point so I will stop, carry on.

The lower-clocked chip has zero noticeable effect on use.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I use my 13" non-retina Macbook Pro primarily for watching video (usually movies streamed from my desktop HDD, or twitch.tv) while doing other things on my desktop. By today's standards it is a heavy laptop with a low screen resolution and a terrible hard drive (that I replaced with a Samsung SSD). So I was thinking about selling my MBP and getting the 13" iPad Pro to replace it. I was curious about your guys thoughts? Why might I want to go with this tablet over some of the other tablets in the 10" or bigger range? I am not really that familiar with tablets in this size range and what they offer. I currently have a 2013 Google Nexus 7" that i'm going to just give to my parents.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I use my 13" non-retina Macbook Pro primarily for watching video (usually movies streamed from my desktop HDD, or twitch.tv) while doing other things on my desktop. By today's standards it is a heavy laptop with a low screen resolution and a terrible hard drive (that I replaced with a Samsung SSD). So I was thinking about selling my MBP and getting the 13" iPad Pro to replace it. I was curious about your guys thoughts? Why might I want to go with this tablet over some of the other tablets in the 10" or bigger range? I am not really that familiar with tablets in this size range and what they offer. I currently have a 2013 Google Nexus 7" that i'm going to just give to my parents.

Because iOS takes hot flaming dumps on Android in the tablet sphere, plain and simple. I get that there are tons of reasons why people prefer different flavors of Android phones over iPhones but Android tablets don't get nearly the same level of investment and polish.

An iPad is simply going to give you a much better, more polished experience with waaaaay more available and interesting software, and you'll be able to do much more with it if you want as a result.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Because iOS takes hot flaming dumps on Android in the tablet sphere, plain and simple. I get that there are tons of reasons why people prefer different flavors of Android phones over iPhones but Android tablets don't get nearly the same level of investment and polish.

An iPad is simply going to give you a much better, more polished experience with waaaaay more available and interesting software, and you'll be able to do much more with it if you want as a result.

Thank you, those are very good arguments for a iPad Pro. I do like my Google Nexus tablet but the screen is too small now for what I want to do with it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Interesting, there doesn't seem to be any way to trigger dictation on an iPad Pro from the Smart Keyboard. I guess the idea is that you wouldn't really need to dictate much since you have an actual keyboard, but it seems like a sorta strange omission.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Thank you, those are very good arguments for a iPad Pro. I do like my Google Nexus tablet but the screen is too small now for what I want to do with it.

Android tablets just never caught up to the iPad saleswise so there's been consistently way more fragmentation and incompatibility issues, more troublesome manufacturer-specific "flavor," fewer/less modern features and more bugs in the OS, and a worse app ecosystem- which all sort of help perpetuate each other and depress sales.

For example, the iPad (and to a lesser extent the iPhone) has been a surprisingly rich and powerful platform for hosting software instruments like synths, effects, and drum machines for about four or five years now and it can easily communicate with other MIDI-compliant devices, now wirelessly even. Android juuuuust got core MIDI like a year ago and there are plenty of tablets on the market that don't ship with that version of the OS or don't have an easy way of getting it.

For a while, the "Recommend me a tablet" thread was basically the "Just get an iPad. If you can't or won't get an iPad then I guess you can get..." Thread.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Android tablets just never caught up to the iPad saleswise so there's been consistently way more fragmentation and incompatibility issues, more troublesome manufacturer-specific "flavor," fewer/less modern features and more bugs in the OS, and a worse app ecosystem- which all sort of help perpetuate each other and depress sales.

For example, the iPad (and to a lesser extent the iPhone) has been a surprisingly rich and powerful platform for hosting software instruments like synths, effects, and drum machines for about four or five years now and it can easily communicate with other MIDI-compliant devices, now wirelessly even. Android juuuuust got core MIDI like a year ago and there are plenty of tablets on the market that don't ship with that version of the OS or don't have an easy way of getting it.

For a while, the "Recommend me a tablet" thread was basically the "Just get an iPad. If you can't or won't get an iPad then I guess you can get..." Thread.

Thankfully with the Nexus tablets they are directly from Google and so software updates are available as soon as Google releases them to the wild. But you are correct about other tablets, Samsung will drop support quickly for their devices (I know this from experience) and other manufacturers are random in this regard. Apple is the only one who makes a 13" tablet that I can find? The rest are 10" and having something a bit bigger for video would be really nice. I just need to make sure I can actually sell this Macbook Pro now. :D

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Thankfully with the Nexus tablets they are directly from Google and so software updates are available as soon as Google releases them to the wild. But you are correct about other tablets, Samsung will drop support quickly for their devices (I know this from experience) and other manufacturers are random in this regard. Apple is the only one who makes a 13" tablet that I can find? The rest are 10" and having something a bit bigger for video would be really nice. I just need to make sure I can actually sell this Macbook Pro now. :D

The only high-end Android tablet worth getting atm would be the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7". If you want the 13", go for the Pro. With the 4GB of ram it's going to last a looong time and have excellent performance. It's the best tablet that exists for consumption, period. It's a hefty price tag, but it's a hefty tablet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Apple is the only one who makes a 13" tablet that I can find? The rest are 10" and having something a bit bigger for video would be really nice. I just need to make sure I can actually sell this Macbook Pro now. :D

:phoneb:~~~~~:o: just do it baby :o:~~~~~:phone:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Animated emojis like the ones in the post above mine look weird with True Tone on. It's like the iPad can't render around the movement to fix the tones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Animated emojis like the ones in the post above mine look weird with True Tone on. It's like the iPad can't render around the movement to fix the tones.

Good thing he's asking about the 13" one which doesn't have a True Tone screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:phoneb:~~~~~:o: just do it baby :o:~~~~~:phone:

I pulled the trigger. :ohdear:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am I crazy thinking I'll be able to walk into an Apple Store tomorrow and be able to walk out with a 32GB Gold 9.7" iPad Pro?

Last time I bought an iPad was the iPad 2 and I waited in line for four hours two days in a row for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Am I crazy thinking I'll be able to walk into an Apple Store tomorrow and be able to walk out with a 32GB Gold 9.7" iPad Pro?

Last time I bought an iPad was the iPad 2 and I waited in line for four hours two days in a row for it.

Someone is free to correct me if I am way off base here, I very well could be, but I personally cannot recall the last time I heard about mega lines for the release of an Apple mobile product. It just doesn't seem to happen anymore. Does it still for iPhone and i'm just out of the loop? I like to think I keep close tabs on this stuff and would know if it were still happening, but I can't remember the last time I read about it.