Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

To Battle posted:

The Deathfest in Maryland this year doesn't seem to interest me that much, also I didn't realize the guys who organize it started expanding to California as well, thats pretty dope I guess if your not on the East Coast.

Speaking of Deathfest,

They are replacing Thulcandra, who had to cancel due to visa issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

In a time when dinosaurs roamed the eeeeeeaaarth...

We wore jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Because I man-lust for Falconer and was trying to find stuff closer to their style, I ended up stumbling on King of Asgard (they share a drummer and have the singer and bass player from Mithotyn as well, I think), and holy gently caress I am hooked.

http://youtu.be/ONcF4GDiSUI

HEIMDALL, BLOW THE GJALLARHOOOOOOOOOOORN!! :black101:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vulture Culture posted:

The worst of it has got to be when Russell Allen decides to Dio-rhyme and farts out jewels like "HIT THE SWITCH / YOU SON OF A BITCH"
I sigh in quiet resignation every time I hear a band use some combination of the fire - desire - higher rhyme.

EDIT: VV They also have one that goes "Lesser sons of greater sires / bearing wood for their own pyres" which I personally think is a really cool line.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 30, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

There's a Wuthering Heights line that goes something to the effect of "Children of the sun grow up and get burned". I laugh every time I hear that verse. I don't know why it cracks me up so much.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Wyzt posted:

That would save me a bit of travel time. Metal Threat Fest is doing a good job of it in Chicago though, that line up is killer for a first year.

Some more self promotional spam: My full length album is streaming in full on Decibel Magazine's website.

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/3/29/stream-the-death-metal-soundtrack-to-the-dark-corners-of-sci-fi-by-nucleus

This is cool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New Death Angel song. I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUxrvXKHLJY

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

COOL CORN posted:

I'm liking the new Amon Amarth album a lot more than I thought I would, but phew that song with Doro is terrible.

Yeah I think I liked it a lot on first listen just because it's Doro.

As for vocals / lyrics, Hegg's vocals have more range in this album, but that also means I can understand the lyrics more which isn't always good.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
On the subject of lyrics, how would you react to a band that's intense like perhaps Cryptopsy, or a band that's techy like perhaps Necrophagist, having lyrics that are completely camp or goofy/funny?

I was trying to think of examples and I just can't. I can for material that's more punk, or grind, or slammy, but not for more intense material. I wonder if it would be accepted?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've always thought that Johan had pretty great diction for death metal vocals, to the point where I typically understand what he's saying on round one. The only person doing that style vocals that comes to mind as maybe clearer is Karl from Bolt Thrower.

The Doro song is pretty dire though, yeah. First time I heard it I was listening to the vinyl, so I could not skip :negative:

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I wouldn't worry about the lyrics too much. 99.9% of all music has terrible lyrics if you think about it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I've been listening to a lot of Paul Chain recently and one of the cool things about him is that he doesn't have any lyrics, he sings in this weird phonetic language that sometimes results in recognisable words and sometimes doesn't.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

A human heart posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Paul Chain recently and one of the cool things about him is that he doesn't have any lyrics, he sings in this weird phonetic language that sometimes results in recognisable words and sometimes doesn't.
You can sing complete nonsense using actual English words, too; The Mars Volta is an obvious example.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

NarkyBark posted:

On the subject of lyrics, how would you react to a band that's intense like perhaps Cryptopsy, or a band that's techy like perhaps Necrophagist, having lyrics that are completely camp or goofy/funny?

I was trying to think of examples and I just can't. I can for material that's more punk, or grind, or slammy, but not for more intense material. I wonder if it would be accepted?

Slugdge's lyrics are about stuff like humanity's forever war against giant immortal space slugs. Does that qualify?

Also Cannabis Corpse, who are actually kind of similar to Slugdge in that their lyrics ape the whole "jumble of badass-sounding SAT words" old-school death metal style, except they're about weed or space slugs instead of demons or murder. They also both make music that's way, way better than anything with that kind of gimmick has any right to be.

Oh and also Ghoul, although musically they're a bit far from what you described. Lyrics are awesomely goofy as gently caress though.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 31, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dethklok is the only one and I can think of and that doesn't qualify as "intense" or "serious" by anyone's measure.

The lyrics are comedy though, it an attempt at it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hey, here's a video of Wagner Antichrist performing a Sarcofago song with Mystifier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMLES7KL-zg

NarkyBark posted:

What about the SadEx songs where it's just the guy shouting gently caress over and over?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Incoherence posted:

You can sing complete nonsense using actual English words, too; The Mars Volta is an obvious example.

Some of TMV's lyrics actually make sense, in the sense that they're evoking surreal/grotesque imagery related to the narrative of the album.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry, but Gamma Ray win the prize for ridiculous, stupid lyrics.

Free Time! It's one of the things that I love.
Free Time! It's one of the things I enjoy.

I mean it's stirring stuff.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
No life til leather
We're gonna kick some rear end tonight

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

This is really different from The Dream Calls for Blood. Less thrashy and more modern. I'm not sure if I like it.

Also, as for silly lyrics, did no one mention S.O.D. or are we not counting bands with intentionally tongue-in-cheek lyrics?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dick Boat posted:

Speaking of Deathfest,

They are replacing Thulcandra, who had to cancel due to visa issues.

This owns so much.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
MDF could do with less melodic black metal, anyways.

More palm muting, less tremolo, imho

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

DEAR RICHARD posted:

No life til leather
We're gonna kick some rear end tonight

First time I heard this I thought it was get some rear end tonight and was convinced for years that Metallica was a band comprised of very angry gay men. Since I was living in an incredibly tiny town at the time the only bit of Metallica history I knew was that the guy from Megadeth got kicked out but didn't know why so I logically assumed that it was because he wasn't angrily gay enough. Like he was just miffed gay while the rest of the band was out for blood gay so he had to go.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jeremy_X posted:

First time I heard this I thought it was get some rear end tonight and was convinced for years that Metallica was a band comprised of very angry gay men. Since I was living in an incredibly tiny town at the time the only bit of Metallica history I knew was that the guy from Megadeth got kicked out but didn't know why so I logically assumed that it was because he wasn't angrily gay enough. Like he was just miffed gay while the rest of the band was out for blood gay so he had to go.

Where's the lie though?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The worst lyrics I have ever read were a Woods of Ypres song.

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/woodsofypres/woodsiiideepestrootsanddarkestblues.html#4

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

H13 posted:

Time will wait for no one
Time is short as hell
Time, Time, Time, is short as hell

Ayup.

(Still love the band dearly, make no mistake)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
And then David Gold just kept getting more melodramatic in his delivery with each new album

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

H13 posted:

Counterpoint: Royal Hunt - Time Will Tell

"You're so rich now you can ski uphill/tear my life apart/you never ask me how I feel"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sammy Hagar posted:

Only time will tell if we'll stand the test of time.

I think in every genre, there's a certain point where you're like "gently caress it, lyrics are an afterthought".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vargatron posted:

I think in every genre, there's a certain point where you're like "gently caress it, lyrics are an afterthought".

One more reason why King Buzzo has the right idea.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Vulture Culture posted:

And then David Gold just kept getting more melodramatic in his delivery with each new album

I don't know what you mean, the man is a lyrical genius

quote:

And I said, "No, wait. (No, wait)."
And she said, "No, it''s too late. (No, it''s too late)."
And I said, "Wait, please stay. (Wait,please stay)."
But she said, "No, I''m going away. (I''m going away)."

Hmm.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NarkyBark posted:

How do you feel about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6enoKdLAPA :3:

code:
I hate your loving grandma,
She's a fat old oval office
I'd love to see her dead
And soon I'll pull a stunt
I always see her peeping
Through her window drapes
Telling you not to swear
And that jesus saves
Yeah, I know she's old
And loving sick
But there's no point in peeping,
And being such a dick
As I walk by her house,
I see a glimpse of that flowery dress
She's peeping there again,
That lard rear end loving mess
I sneak into her house
And beat her senseless
She's your loved grannie,
I could not care less
I tie her to a chair and
Pull her gray hair
Choke her with my bare hands,
Now this poo poo is fair
I take your grandma by surprise,
Batter her with a carpet beater
Kick her into the mouth,
She looks like a muthafucking beaver
I soak her with can of gas,
It's time to scratch the match
I watch your grandma turn to ash,
Jesus take a loving catch

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Friends, if you're looking for "irony" or "self-awareness" in metal lyrics then I really don't think the problem is with the lyrics.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

NarkyBark posted:

The problem with comedy in music is most of the time either the comedy or the music is pretty lame. Often both.

Crotchduster's one of the rare examples where it works, since half the joke comes from all the musical references.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
when i find a band whose lyrics i like or appreciate the cornball sincerity of, i cherish them deeply

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Of course we are forgetting the most metal lyricist of them all, Leonard Cohen.

quote:

Give me back my broken night
my mirrored room, my secret life
it's lonely here,
there's no one left to torture

Give me absolute control
over every living soul
And lie beside me, baby,
that's an order!

Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture

Give me back the Berlin wall
give me Stalin and St Paul
I've seen the future, brother
it is murder.

When they said repent, repent
I wonder what they meant
When they said repent, repent
I wonder what they meant

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am rather upset no one linked any Party Cannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZj1kUNj5k

quote:

Crushing her throat between my hands
I feel the life drain away
When it all comes down to it
Jacks a little bit gay

GRR

EEE-HYUM

There is a rea-son that you're single
There is a rea-soonnnnnn
There is a rea-son that you're single
There is a rea-soonnnnnn
There
Is
A
Rea
Son

OHHHHHHHH

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Anal oval office had the best lyrics, hands down.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
code:
beat me, whip me, suck me
seal the pact of cum
when she starts to suck
I feel my bloody boiling
her tongue in constant moving
my pistol intensely pumping

Your piss in my throat, my jysm in your mouth
we had sealed the pact of cum
United souls in depravation and lust
we had sealed the pact of cum
she's my best dream, the worst nightmare
I love so when she hurts me with that bloody lash
No law inside these walls
Nobody will stop us tonight
Racking you with the delights of the flesh
can you feel our souls in desire?
damned bitch, savage goddess
bless me with your angry
ride me 'til death
bathing in my jysm
Barking with pleasure
My dick in her rear end
Convultions among excrements

Sarcofago :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you've never told someone "if you are a false, do not entry," you're not a real metal fan.