Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Booyah- posted:

someone fight me in ST

Make it 3S and I'll show you a stunning(ly bad) exhibition of skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

darealkooky posted:

my argument is "why would you willingly play this game you keep saying you only think is meh and doesn't offer anything that doesn't exist in at least one other fighting game"

Brand name recognition, corporate marketing has brainwashed us all long before we were old enough to think.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

darealkooky posted:

I don't think you can really praise this games balance when A: it's only had like three months of total playtime and B: capcom constantly nerfs characters and anything that develops

I suppose making every single character interchangable dogshit and devolving the game into a bunch of super linear "he's using thing X so I do thing Y to beat it, then I go into The Only Followup" moments is technically really balanced because you can pick anyone and do about as well, but that's not really an impressive feat of game design.

I'm trying here man, I really am, but the game isn't like that at all and there's a lot of character variety and even a variety between different players of the same character.

To answer your earlier question, I'm sorry that "It's fun" isn't a good enough answer for you, but it's actually the answer.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

bhsman posted:

Their point was that they, perhaps to their own surprise, prefer the more simplistic gameplay, and if that is indeed the case telling them to play a more complicated game is missing the point entirely.

but again, a game being simplistic doesn't mean it's inherently meh or every character feels weak like in sf5, it just means it's simple

stuff like samsho or ST (or if you want a "bad" game, breakers revenge) is roughly the same level of complicated as sf5 (if not less) but they feel way more engaging on both a beginner level and a more hardcore one

there's a reason that SF2 on the snes sold gangbusters while this game is floundering, and it goes beyond it being blatantly unfinished

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
This game should have TF2 style stats that show up when you lose a game. "You lost but you antiaired 5 jump-ins this match, a new record!" or "You tech'd 3 throws! That's close to your record of 4!"

poo poo like that would probably make new players stick around more.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

As a bad player, I basically think "it's fun" because fighting games are inherently fun to some degree, and sfv has homogenized a lot of the character specific advantages that might make you think "this matchup is BULLSHIT"

It's fun to play at times sure, but that doesn't mean it's a well designed game. Honestly if it had Vsync-off PC level input lag and ggpo-level netcode I would be perfectly happy.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

At least you can buy Story mode Ken.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Hobojim posted:

I'm trying here man, I really am, but the game isn't like that at all and there's a lot of character variety and even a variety between different players of the same character

Give capcom a couple months :unsmigghh:

Anyway I can't speak for you since I was responding to someone else, but the other guy actively said this game is boring so even if it's "fun" isn't it possible he could be having more fun with something else?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^Again, though, not everyone views it through the lens of maximizing the efficiency of fun.

darealkooky posted:

but again, a game being simplistic doesn't mean it's inherently meh or every character feels weak like in sf5, it just means it's simple

stuff like samsho or ST (or if you want a "bad" game, breakers revenge) is roughly the same level of complicated as sf5 (if not less) but they feel way more engaging on both a beginner level and a more hardcore one

I think you're conflating 'boring' from their post with 'meh' when they probably meant 'simple.' Guile can be a 'boring' character to play but there are people who prefer that sort of dry playstyle. Plus, if nothing else it's way more convenient to play a friend in SFV now than it is to set up SF2.

It's not wrong to be aware of SFV's flaws and still like it. :shrug: Admittedly, I'm describing myself there.

quote:

there's a reason that SF2 on the snes sold gangbusters while this game is floundering, and it goes beyond it being blatantly unfinished

Uhhhh there's way more reasons why SF2 on the SNES sold gangbusters, and reason #1 is that the SNES sold like gangbusters.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

darealkooky posted:

Anyway I can't speak for you since I was responding to someone else, but the other guy actively said this game is boring so even if it's "fun" isn't it possible he could be having more fun with something else?

I didn't read his post as saying he thought the game was boring and thought you were making blanket statements about how people are dumb for liking the game, my bad.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

bhsman posted:

Uhhhh there's way more reasons why SF2 on the SNES sold gangbusters, and reason #1 is that the SNES sold like gangbusters.

gaming as an industry has roughly a quadraillion more people buying products now than in the early 90's tho, and the ps4 is selling really well + everyone has PC

i'm not saying sf2 only sold because it was a great game but to say you can't compare them is foolish

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

darealkooky posted:

gaming as an industry has roughly a quadraillion more people buying products now than in the early 90's tho, and the ps4 is selling really well + everyone has PC

i'm not saying sf2 only sold because it was a great game but to say you can't compare them is foolish

Not saying you can't compare them, but the SNES was the best-selling console of its generation, hands-down. Comparing any game's sales to SF2 is often unfair just on principle. :v:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bhsman posted:

Plus, if nothing else it's way more convenient to play a friend in SFV now than it is to set up SF2.

That ain't true, a friend and I can be playing ST in a few seconds compared to minutes in SFV, if we can even get good netplay. The advantage of SFV is just the number of users for ranked matches at your level, which fightcade can't compete with.

e: have you played any fightcade games? I would be happy to play you if not, it's a good experience

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks again Agoat and VenBright for putting up with my Rashid. :v: Hoping I can do that more often and actually get better at the game.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

darealkooky posted:

Hmm SF2 hit into some vein back then though, it was like Call of Duty big, it just blew up out of no where. Street Fighter 4 also came at a perfect time, there hadn't been a major decent fighting game in years.
SFV came off the back of the several editions of 4, and no one was really asking for it except ther hardcore. I think even if Capcom had put out a complete good product at launch and had 10/10 across the board they wouldn't have hit their sale estimates.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Booyah- posted:

That ain't true, a friend and I can be playing ST in a few seconds compared to minutes in SFV, if we can even get good netplay. The advantage of SFV is just the number of users for ranked matches at your level, which fightcade can't compete with.

e: have you played any fightcade games? I would be happy to play you if not, it's a good experience

I meant that in terms of how proliferated Steam and PS4 have become, whereas Fightcade is a bit of an unknown. If you're at the starting line and already have both SFV and Fightcade installed, then I could see Fightcade being as fast or faster, but for most people SFV is way more accessible (or even just has the perception of being more accessible).

As for me, I wouldn't mind playing you, though I haven't updated Fightcade in awhile. Check the SFV player thread for my Steam username and hit me up sometime this weekend. :)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

At least you can buy Story mode Ken.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Booyah- posted:

It's fun to play at times sure, but that doesn't mean it's a well designed game. Honestly if it had Vsync-off PC level input lag and ggpo-level netcode I would be perfectly happy.

What would make it better design wise? I'm curious since it does feel like it's lacking something that even SF4 has. Overall, broken as it is, Third Strike offers the most excitement I've had in a fighting game so far.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

croutonZA posted:

This game should have TF2 style stats that show up when you lose a game. "You lost but you antiaired 5 jump-ins this match, a new record!" or "You tech'd 3 throws! That's close to your record of 4!"

poo poo like that would probably make new players stick around more.

there are like a dozen things in that vein that should have been well implemented, and I would have thought there would be a lot of input from the american side of the company from hopefully talented individuals but instead we have almost no online flair that is well implemented.

I just logged on and am laughing at the organization of the shop, just huge lists of poo poo you have to scroll through. They could have had premium titles with animations or flashy colors, stage variants(though these are coming I guess, but why not already have them lol), purchasable classic tunes etc

edit: oh my god theres no explanation even of what unlocks stuff. I know people already said exp unlocks the higher tier colors but how would you know? I can unlock color 11 with everyone except two characters so I would never even know what to try to earn if I wanted those colors. I'm not sure why I cant unlock story mode costumes I guess because we get Chun and Ryu for free right now? Ahhh

Sick! Thats DOPE fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 31, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Actually sf4 netcode and loading and color unlocking was legitimately better.

Slow-down and then disconnect beats the ever loving gently caress out of watching someone get hit by an attack and not take damage.

I know a lot of people just flat out hated everything about sf4, but sf5's netcode has been poo poo in every iteration they've tried.

The newest lobby loading bullshit is irritating too.

Everyone wanted rollback netcode (GGPO specifically IIRC) because other games did it to decent effect, but then they forgot, CAPCOM.
SfxTk was the start of rollback, I think marvel was legitimately the worst netcode they've made besides this game.

In sf4 3 and up were manageable
in sf5 its feeling very 5 or bust

As much as I would have liked cvs2 with online at some point for these consoles, i'm starting to wonder if it'd be worth it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Alpha Ken is better than Bro Ken.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

SectumSempra posted:

in sf5 its feeling very 5 or bust

I would like to search for 6 bars please.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I would like to search for 6 bars please.

I feel like that'd still lag, or rather teleport and watch people get hit and then still end up on your back.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Heh, Bro Ken. I just got that.

For some reason he kind of reminds me of Slim Rufus.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I usually search for 5 only (wait time has been really short since Monday for me) . Quality wise it's about 4/5 feel fantastic then that left over 1/5 is awful. There seems to be nothing in between.

Be nice if you could add people to a blocklist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Daigo gonna counter Infiltrations Nash with Gief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk6O_LBWjYo

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
SFV netcode is a million times more palatable than SF4 netcode. But then I always search for 5 bars only.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

darealkooky posted:

Uhhhh I'm pretty sure the game being "plain" isn't why it's selling so bad

It's because the game has very little casual appeal, got blasted in reviews and we're coming off 4 versions of SF4

Also the game isn't really boring to me. SF4 is boring to me because I played it forever. This game is new. It's simplistic but that's fine. ST is simplistic and is literally the best fighting game ever made.

I think you're talking about some nebulous "objective fun factor" or something but different people enjoy different things you know. If you don't enjoy the game, cool, whatever. I have fun playing this with friends, because if nothing else, it's something I'm doing with friends and I like social gaming in person

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This game is a boring kind of simplistic. Like the reason ST works is so many different factors, this game does not have the right to be compared to ST on being simplistic.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

hiddenriverninja posted:

It's arguably way better than his regular costume, too, and I like that as well.

Baal posted:

This game is a boring kind of simplistic. Like the reason ST works is so many different factors, this game does not have the right to be compared to ST on being simplistic.

I mean, you're more than welcome to feel that way, but that doesn't make it true for everyone else.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alpha Ken's model looks like garbage keeping with the trend of Ken looking terrible in this game

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It's selling bad because they completely ignored the lessons of Mortal Kombat. The single player experience sells. It's not important that MK is dead for professionals when it sold a hilarious amount of units.

They should've went hardcore third strike if they wanted to make it competitive. Right now its in a lukewarm state of not really sure where they want the game to be. It'll get there I'm sure after a few iterations but hopefully Capcom won't have given up by then.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Corbeau posted:

SFV netcode is a million times more palatable than SF4 netcode. But then I always search for 5 bars only.

If you play randos at 5 bar it's fine, but play the same people you did across country in sf4 and its way worse, sometimes unplayable from west coast to east coast. At least that's my experience

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Booyah- posted:

If you play randos at 5 bar it's fine, but play the same people you did across country in sf4 and its way worse, sometimes unplayable from west coast to east coast. At least that's my experience

Same, and thats the biggest issue.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bhsman posted:

It's arguably way better than his regular costume, too, and I like that as well.

I mean, you're more than welcome to feel that way, but that doesn't make it true for everyone else.

I mean cool if you like it, but I've played so many fighting games and I just can't look at this and see calling it simplistic and thinking "Yeah, this is a good simplicity."

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

sf and fighters sell bad because they're stupidly niche and not meant to hit big numbers.

Sf will never sell like COD, even COD doesn't sell like COD anymore so I don't know whats going on anymore.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's selling bad because they completely ignored the lessons of Mortal Kombat. The single player experience sells. It's not important that MK is dead for professionals when it sold a hilarious amount of units.

They should've went hardcore third strike if they wanted to make it competitive. Right now its in a lukewarm state of not really sure where they want the game to be. It'll get there I'm sure after a few iterations but hopefully Capcom won't have given up by then.

It's a lot of things, the game received pretty middling reviews, word of mouth spread it was bare bones as gently caress the single player being part of that, and it's also very possible the general public does not care as much about SF as it did in 2009.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Baal posted:

I won't compare it but after the interim games between sf4 and now I've come to expect a lot more of fighters, this ones missing... something.

It feels like new characters won't be enough. When i played the first beta I expected there to be more added to the movelists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Baal posted:

I mean cool if you like it, but I've played so many fighting games and I just can't look at this and see calling it simplistic and thinking "Yeah, this is a good simplicity."

Nothing wrong with that at all, it's a fair opinion.