Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
On one level I found the second segment funny, but the rest of me thought "don't you have anything else to talk about?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah I kind of wished someone "kept it 100" and pointed out it's mostly opportunistic young people bashing. Who cares if some student complained about pro-Trump graffiti. Delegitimizing the support systems on campus is a real thing though.

I still work on a large college campus and I can assure people that the media's way more fixated on "campus safe spaces" than actual students on campus.

Nightly's newest cast member was an encouraging change, but it looks like "kids these days" will still regularly be a thing. I don't think we need another panel about how stupid emojis are.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Honestly the "kids these days" discussions just make me wonder who they think their primary demo actually is.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oh Snapple! posted:

Honestly the "kids these days" discussions just make me wonder who they think their primary demo actually is.
People old enough to remember when Craig was the host?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

People old enough to remember when Craig was the host?

They've extended the definition of "millennial" out into the early-mid 30s aged, so that covers people who remember Killborn and serves as yet another indicator that "millennial" is a loving meaningless term only used by the media and grumpy old codgers.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There are plenty of relatively new college graduates who love to go on "kids these days" rants.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

shades of eternity posted:

alrighty lindsey and noah have chemistry. :)

My favorite part of that was Trevor's reaction to Lindsey's burn on Boehner, which Lindsey seemingly plucked out of thin air after the Trump 'compliment'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Noah's starting to look more comfortable. I think a lot of the production changes like him standing away from the desk or them mixing up the "News-Correspondent-Interview" formula a little bit have started to make it feel more like Noah's shows and less like Stewart's. And he seems to have been at it long enough that his whole "I'm new to this country and this is strange" schtick is giving way a bit to "wait, this poo poo doesn't make sense!" a little. He's still not all the way there but I think he's growing into the role.

I don't know about Wilmore. I can't get through an episode. Sadly I just think that show doesn't work. And with Bee hitting the ground rounding and (IMO) Noah improving faster it really makes Wilmore/TNS look bad in comparison for having been twice as long and still having a lot of the same problems.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I think Trevor's been doing a lot better in the last month or so as well. I noticed the other night that they changed the interview desk to have a small partition on the guests' side - I assumed to stop making women need to worry about crossing their legs etc, as they sat down and shifted back and forth in the chair. I seem to recall a couple guests on Jon Stewart's version mention how the chair actually had locked wheels so they couldn't skootch back and forth, which would be awkward as gently caress for me personally.

IRQ posted:

They've extended the definition of "millennial" out into the early-mid 30s aged, so that covers people who remember Killborn and serves as yet another indicator that "millennial" is a loving meaningless term only used by the media and grumpy old codgers.
You must be a Millennial..?

I'm 37 now - I'm too young to be Gen-X despite having being a freshman/soph in high school when Cobain died, and having grown up listening to early 90s hip hop and mid-late 90s grunge - my first Concert was Metallica and then they released that Fuel album and I stopped litening to them entirely because they turned to trash and bitched about Napster..! My older brother (who grew up listening to Twisted Sister and Motley Crue) is 47, and is considered Gen-X despite being a total hair-metal throwback, as well as all the guys he grew up with who literally would not have looked out of place in Heavy Metal Parking Lot or Dazed & Confused (this was pretty much my first concert experience as well, but I was 12 at the time), when I was growing up. I'm more Gen-X than most folks older than me, but apparently I'm Gen-Y or Millennial or some poo poo.

Welcome to being defined by people who don't actually know what the age group's culture was actually like, because they were too busy working at Rolling Stone/etc and writing about "the kids these days," and how they just don't have the work ethic/gumption/etc as the previous crop had! ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 26, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Why must I wait until Monday night to see how The Daily Show handles the last 24 hours of the GOP election?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Did anything interesting happen? I've been sitting at a Mexican resort for the past 8 days and have not read any news nor watched any tv.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreenNight posted:

Did anything interesting happen? I've been sitting at a Mexican resort for the past 8 days and have not read any news nor watched any tv.
Lindsey Graham is possibly the best guest on the show in the whole last 30 days, hands down.

Also playing on a snooker table was weird, but possibly Trevor is used to a larger table, and Graham def has enough chops to make up for the hugeness of playing on one.. Plus he did the same poo poo my grandfather did as a kid (aka "bar back" which also means at that age, that you'd be the bar's in-house pool shark to take down hustlers who wandered in and stripped the other patrons of their hard-earned beer money.) I was flat impressed by both, but mainly Graham.. There were definitely at least a few shots which were edited out because multiple misses are boring, but there were impressive shots made on both sides (although nobody called Trevor on his no-call slop shot, after the break).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alright cool. I'll have to check that one out instead of mass deleting Colbert, Daily and Nightly.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

GreenNight posted:

He's talking about a Ted Cruz sex scandal.

And are we sure they don't have next week off? :ohdear:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Echo Chamber posted:

This second act was garbage. An overreaction to an overreaction.

I was almost with them until I found out the Trump graffiti incident included some idiots writing "Build the wall" on a campus space for Latino students. Then I spent the rest of the night wondering how Larry could've missed that part.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

EasyEW posted:

I was almost with them until I found out the Trump graffiti incident included some idiots writing "Build the wall" on a campus space for Latino students. Then I spent the rest of the night wondering how Larry could've missed that part.

Larry does this a lot, and it makes him look stupid as hell every time. I remember back when that piece on how working at Amazon was essentially hellish came out and was a topic of discussion. TNS's panel basically boiled it down to "whining from pretty well-off people" without even touching or acknowledging the really horrid portions of the piece - like a woman with thyroid cancer returning from treatments to low ratings and being told that her co-workers were accomplishing a lot while she had been out, and another woman being told she was a "problem" because she had cut back on working nights and weekends to care for her cancer-stricken father. If your only exposure to that story had been TNS, you might be inclined to think that employees were just complaining about just having to work or other inane bullshit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

On the other hand, it is a good measure of determining the exact point when Gen-Xers morph into their boomer parents.

I saw the other day while flipping through the program guide that former "MTV Alternative Nation" host Kennedy now hosts a show on the Fox Business Channel. I got a good laugh out of that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know about Wilmore. I can't get through an episode. Sadly I just think that show doesn't work. And with Bee hitting the ground rounding and (IMO) Noah improving faster it really makes Wilmore/TNS look bad in comparison for having been twice as long and still having a lot of the same problems.

The only way I can see TNS surviving is if they just basically turn it into another show. Larry himself is still mostly tolerable to me and the first segment is usually okay when it's just him, but his correspondents are all terrible, the panel format is almost always terrible in general and this show is no exception, and those stupid loving adult party games he plays with the panel members only makes it worse.

Basically, if you burn it all down and maybe give him some competent supporting cast (or even better, don't), it might be able to survive off life support.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't know. I often think the show's most frustrating moments are product of Larry's own viewpoint, and only confirmed by what the other correspondents and writers bring to the show.

I think Larry simply just has a lot of "kids these days" opinions.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The nightly show rips off the daily shows correspondent pieces in front of a green screen, but usually with costumes and dumber backdrops and overall just very unfunny writing and dialogue, I keep trying to see if the show is worth it, but I can't make it past the first 5 minutes, got to tune out when it flips to those segments with Larry on the left and unfunny random person in a bad costume on the right.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
As an international viewer TNS seems to deal with a lot more US specific issues, on the other hand it seems like the new Noah version of the daily show has more international stories than before.

It could be deliberate, but in the end I just don't bother with TNS.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The nightly show rips off the daily shows correspondent pieces in front of a green screen, but usually with costumes and dumber backdrops and overall just very unfunny writing and dialogue

Also, if you never really got why timing was a big deal in comedy, the green screen segments are a perfect example of how bad timing can gently caress up a joke.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's Tuesday now and thanks to Easter (with Trevor, Larry, Sam, and John all taking the day off), I don't get to see any of the Daily Show alumni shows weigh in on the Ted Cruz sex scandal. :(

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Echo Chamber posted:

It's Tuesday now and thanks to Easter (with Trevor, Larry, Sam, and John all taking the day off), I don't get to see any of the Daily Show alumni shows weigh in on the Ted Cruz sex scandal. :(

Stephen's back, but he hasn't hit it yet.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

EasyEW posted:

Stephen's back, but he hasn't hit it yet.
But that was a nice throwback to Cheating Death.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are more than just a night off, they are off the whole week.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn, even Jesus only took 3 days off for Easter!

That Cuban bit was embarrassing though.. The best they could come up with was just a stupid latin dance sketch?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oh guess what, that super sensitive college campus bit looks even dumber now.

http://www.snopes.com/emory-students-trump-graffiti/

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sorry for the double post, but we got another "thing that happened while The Daily Show is on vacation".

Kasich ate a pizza with a fork and knife.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Echo Chamber posted:

Sorry for the double post, but we got another "thing that happened while The Daily Show is on vacation".

Kasich ate a pizza with a fork and knife.

I'm not sure Trevor has supped at the tit of freedom long enough to understand the blasphemy Kasich performed. We might need Stew Beef to stop the presses and shine the divine light of truth on the matter.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Trevor should stay far away from any pizza related politics due to his nation's unforgivable crimes against the sacred dish

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Bro Dad posted:

Trevor should stay far away from any pizza related politics due to his nation's unforgivable crimes against the sacred dish

Is apartheid still in effect but only for pizzas?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Isn't knife and fork pizza yet another of Trumps culinary war crimes? He only orders steak well done and has never had coffee or alcohol. He's literally unamerican.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

Isn't knife and fork pizza yet another of Trumps culinary war crimes? He only orders steak well done and has never had coffee or alcohol. He's literally unamerican.

Worst of all he's from New York, it's like a native of Vatican City eating meat only on Fridays.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Isn't knife and fork pizza yet another of Drumpfs culinary war crimes? He only orders steak well done and has never had coffee or alcohol. He's literally unamerican.

The "never had coffee or alcohol" part sound dubious, but that along with the steak part goes far to explain why he thought he could run a winery or sell steaks through the loving Sharper Image.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Yep. Definitely not the worst pizza atrocity he's responsible for, though!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jon Stewart deals with some bull

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Are they trying the pre-Stewart era second-segment interview thing tonight? It feels weird now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
No, Trevor. You must talk about the Ted Cruz sex scandal in excruciating detail. Do your job. :colbert:

I learned nothing from the DWS interview.

Jackie Chan nooooo :(

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It should really come as no surprise that someone who looks like Elmer Fudd has strong options about cross-dressers.

• Locked thread