Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You know, its interesting, I brought up Grey Gardens to my mother who is almost 60, and she knew all about it and remembered it very well. I think it was very well known, especially for a documentary, in the late 70's early 80's. Like how you can typically walk up to someone on the street and they'll know about Grizzly Man, I think Grey Gardens was one of those docs that really broke through into mainstream consciousness.

None of that explains why a parody of it would appeal to 20 or 30 somethings though...

Speaking of which, I think Grey Gardens and the supplementary film are on Hulu Plus under their Criterion stuff. It's a pretty great documentary. I feel like it would get a lot of new attention if it was added to Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Speaking of which, I think Grey Gardens and the supplementary film are on Hulu Plus under their Criterion stuff. It's a pretty great documentary. I feel like it would get a lot of new attention if it was added to Netflix.

It is, that's where I saw it.

Has The Simpsons ever referenced Grey Gardens? I'd be very surprised if they hadn't at some point over the years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

It is, that's where I saw it.

Has The Simpsons ever referenced Grey Gardens? I'd be very surprised if they hadn't at some point over the years.

Marge's maiden name of Bouvier is probably a reference.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Slandible posted:

I think it's one of the funniest things IFC has put out. I regularly quote the show now.

I've had Catalina Breeze stuck in my head for days. I've skipped a couple until I watch the reference material to get the jokes

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Marge's maiden name of Bouvier is probably a reference.

Yeah, I believe they say so on one of the Simpsons commentaries.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I believe they say so on one of the Simpsons commentaries.

It's maybe 50/50 between that and just a Jackie O nod

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Spongebob Squarepants had what I'm pretty sure is a Grey Gardens reference.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Asnorban posted:

As a 32 year old, Grey Gardens has been a pretty common interest / obsession for a lot of my friends for about 10 years. I think it's a pretty timeless documentary that gets referenced enough in pop culture that people seek it out.

On the other hand, I'm a 33 year old who has never heard of Grey Gardens. I think my pop culture knowledge extends back to maaaaybe the early 80's or late 70's, so it's a little our of my wheel house. I had really high hopes for Documentary Now and was so disappointed by that first episode that I haven't watched any more. I guess it just went over my head though, so I'll probably give the next 2 or 3 a shot.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sandy Passage is a lot more subtle in its humor than the next three episodes.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Permanent Midnight is on Amazon Prime and it's pretty good if you like heroin meltdown movies. BONUS: it has a soundtrack full of 90s club music!!! (Moby, Morcheeba, Spiritualized, BT, Prodigy, Crystal Method, William Orbit) :pcgaming:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

neonnoodle posted:

Permanent Midnight is on Amazon Prime and it's pretty good if you like heroin meltdown movies. BONUS: it has a soundtrack full of 90s club music!!! (Moby, Morcheeba, Spiritualized, BT, Prodigy, Crystal Method, William Orbit) :pcgaming:

One of these things is quite unlike the others :raise:

Sounds like it's extremely my poo poo though.

edit: Though, to be fair, literally every Spiritualized song that exists to date is about heroin, God, love, or more commonly, all three at once

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

cat doter posted:

I can confirm that daredevil season 2 does, in fact, rule

so much. I was more than happy with it. SO MUCH BUTTKICKING.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I hope the Punisher stuff points to him getting a series of his own because the Frank Castle stuff was the highlight of the whole thing to me. That theme is outstanding, just whooooomp.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I hope the Punisher stuff points to him getting a series of his own because the Frank Castle stuff was the highlight of the whole thing to me. That theme is outstanding, just whooooomp.

Yea I'm not as enthusiastic about this season as most people are, but anything involving Frank was excellent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They outright confirmed a Punisher spinoff before the season even dropped. I really hope this makes Bernthal's career, dude is actually a completely fantastic actor who's been way underutilized until now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: double post

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 30, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They outright confirmed a Punisher spinoff before the season even dropped. I really hope this makes Bernthal's career, dude is actually a completely fantastic actor who's been way underutilized until now.

My first exposure to him was in The Walking Dead, where I completely hated his character to the point where I started to not like Bernthal as an actor. Now I realize the writing in The Walking Dead is complete poo poo and that's why I couldn't stand him in it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ah, I had not heard or didn't remember hearing that so change my potential excitement into real excitement.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

My first exposure to him was in The Walking Dead, where I completely hated his character to the point where I started to not like Bernthal as an actor. Now I realize the writing in The Walking Dead is complete poo poo and that's why I couldn't stand him in it.

Yeah, same. Only when I saw him in other stuff did I realize he was fantastic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Walking Dead is really bad, but somehow I watch it every time the next season drops on Netflix :downsgun:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

The Walking Dead is really bad, but somehow I watch it every time the next season drops on Netflix :downsgun:

I've arbitrarily decided that if they kill Glen or Maggie I'm done with the show. For two whole seasons now I've been secretly hoping they do it so that I can be done with this show but they keep teasing me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

I've arbitrarily decided that if they kill Glen or Maggie I'm done with the show. For two whole seasons now I've been secretly hoping they do it so that I can be done with this show but they keep teasing me.

Glen is almost certainly dying this season. They're introducing the guy who killed him in the comics and making him a Big Deal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Glen is almost certainly dying this season. They're introducing the guy who killed him in the comics and making him a Big Deal.

I'm aware of that but the show has deviated from certain important events before. I'm certain Negan's bat will come into play at some point, but I'm not convinced it won't be Darryl or Carol or Abraham instead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, unrelated to this Walking Dead convo, but... I think Trailer Park Boys jumped the shark, guys. Seasons 8 and 9 were good enough that I wasn't worried about it, but season 10 is just... :cripes:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Of what I saw of The Walking Dead, Shane was far and away the best part. I haven't seen him in anything else except Sicario, but I've liked what I've seen of him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Of what I saw of The Walking Dead, Shane was far and away the best part. I haven't seen him in anything else except Sicario, but I've liked what I've seen of him.

He may have been in stuff you've seen and didn't realize, like Wolf of Wall Street, Fury and Show Me A Hero

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Looking back on it my problem was more with the way other characters, especially Rick, reacted to Shane's poo poo attitude and behavior.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love his DeNiro impression in Fury.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love his DeNiro impression in Fury.

Fury's the only performance of his I haven't liked, it just felt too broad. Then again I never really got on that movie's wavelength.

He's killer in Wolf of Wall Street, and I like that he showed he could do more than just macho dudes in Show Me a Hero.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fury's the only performance of his I haven't liked, it just felt too broad. Then again I never really got on that movie's wavelength.

He's killer in Wolf of Wall Street, and I like that he showed he could do more than just macho dudes in Show Me a Hero.

It's too bad after Walking Dead and DareDevil/The Punisher he's going to be typecast as nothing but unhinged macho dudes.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Movie rec that I just watched on Netflix US: The Assassin (2015), a very slow-paced martial arts wuxia film from China. If you're patient and you like period pieces and absolutely gorgeus visuals this is a solid one for you. Action is there but it serves more as brief, borderline-abstract punctuations to long scenes of low dialogue visual storytelling.

Said story can be hard to follow. Frequently a character will do something seemingly-random, the motivations and context of which are explained further like 10-20 min later. That can be confusing. It makes me really want to rewatch it already with that extra context, and it's just been a day since I first saw it. Definitely an interesting, enigmatic movie - if you're a fan of martial arts films or arthouse cinema, and you're feeling particularly patient and ready to be slowly immersed into a very beautiful world, I'd recommend this one to you.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He has a funny bit part in "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl" as a muscled-up version of the stand-and-deliver inspirational teacher.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Movie rec that I just watched on Netflix US: The Assassin (2015), a very slow-paced martial arts wuxia film from China. If you're patient and you like period pieces and absolutely gorgeus visuals this is a solid one for you. Action is there but it serves more as brief, borderline-abstract punctuations to long scenes of low dialogue visual storytelling.

Said story can be hard to follow. Frequently a character will do something seemingly-random, the motivations and context of which are explained further like 10-20 min later. That can be confusing. It makes me really want to rewatch it already with that extra context, and it's just been a day since I first saw it. Definitely an interesting, enigmatic movie - if you're a fan of martial arts films or arthouse cinema, and you're feeling particularly patient and ready to be slowly immersed into a very beautiful world, I'd recommend this one to you.
Nice, I've been waiting for this to hit Netflix.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just watched They Look Like People, it's streaming on Amazon (not free). I've seen it described as a more horror oriented Take Shelter and I can see the parallels. It's very low budget, but so goddamn tense, after the movie was over my legs were shaking a little bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also, unrelated to this Walking Dead convo, but... I think Trailer Park Boys jumped the shark, guys. Seasons 8 and 9 were good enough that I wasn't worried about it, but season 10 is just... :cripes:

Oh poo poo, what happens? I've only watched the first episode and it wasn't bad at all I thought...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

precision posted:

Oh poo poo, what happens? I've only watched the first episode and it wasn't bad at all I thought...

I watched the first three episodes before work the other day, and I thought they were painfully unfunny. I watched up through episode eight, and it definitely picks up quite a bit, but this season is... bizarre. It's a bizarre season of Trailer Park Boys.

The stuff that doesn't land, like J-Roc's fake Mexican accent, and anything involving Barb's lesbian gang, is flat out excruciating, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Barb, Donna, and a new character start a lesbian gang. J-Roc is a fake Mexican. Generally a bizarre amount of tryhard 2edgy humor that feels really loving out of place. Case in point: Randy gets straight-up raped multiple times, once by Barb's lesbian gang. Snoop Dogg shows up, which is good, but Doug Benson and Tom Arnold show up, and while Doug Benson is just kinda there Tom Arnold is actively obnoxious. Also, honestly, everyone except Ricky feels way out of character and there's a weird misogynist undercurrent to how pretty much all the women are written. Also, Bubbles' arc is being conflicted over being a "nerd", which, uh, he's been totally fine with for 9 seasons already, why is it just now an issue?

Also, it's the first season I can think of with an honest-to-god idiot plot- if anyone at any loving point ever would call the cops, Barb's lesbian gang would be completely out of their hair. The poo poo they do escalates past "an appropriate situation to call cops" in like the second loving episode of the season and yet the thought just never seems to cross Julian's mind. Or Bubbles' mind. Or Randy's. Or loving Lahey's, for god's sake, the guy who is a former god damned cop himself.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Barb, Donna, and a new character start a lesbian gang. J-Roc is a fake Mexican. Generally a bizarre amount of tryhard 2edgy humor that feels really loving out of place. Case in point: Randy gets straight-up raped multiple times, once by Barb's lesbian gang. Snoop Dogg shows up, which is good, but Doug Benson and Tom Arnold show up, and while Doug Benson is just kinda there Tom Arnold is actively obnoxious. Also, honestly, everyone except Ricky feels way out of character and there's a weird misogynist undercurrent to how pretty much all the women are written. Also, Bubbles' arc is being conflicted over being a "nerd", which, uh, he's been totally fine with for 9 seasons already, why is it just now an issue?

Also, it's the first season I can think of with an honest-to-god idiot plot- if anyone at any loving point ever would call the cops, Barb's lesbian gang would be completely out of their hair. The poo poo they do escalates past "an appropriate situation to call cops" in like the second loving episode of the season and yet the thought just never seems to cross Julian's mind. Or Bubbles' mind. Or Randy's. Or loving Lahey's, for god's sake, the guy who is a former god damned cop himself.
:(

Oh well, nothing lasts forever. I was thinking of letting go of Netflix for a while anyway once I watch Cartel Land and maybe a few other exclusives. I'm finding that I don't watch enough stuff to justify having two streaming services at once, and right now I'm engrossed in The Shield on Hulu. I just finished Season 3 and the show keeps getting better... Currently everyone hates each other and everything's a mess :ohdear: Somehow there's four more seasons!

By the way, I've never watched The Walking Dead but from what I've gathered from osmosis on this forum it seems like a mistake to start watching it. How is Fear the Walking Dead?

On an unrelated note - a month or two ago I was looking at videos of Terrordrome (a fan-made 2D fighting game with horror movie characters) and I was wondering who the hell Matt Cordell was. Some googling led me to...

Maniac Cop - This is a weird movie. Not knowing much going into it, I thought it was going to be a Friday the 13th clone with a cop. It never quite gets there, though. It has all the ingredients of a cult classic slasher - hammy acting (Bruce Campbell! Robert Davi chewing scenery!), low-budget charm, and a supernatural angle. What really lets it down is that the murdering is so... pedestrian. The titular Maniac Cop (played by Robert Z'Dar, aka That Guy With A Chin Bigger Than Ron Perlman) stalks someone, the tension ramps up, and... he just sorta kills them. Forgettable.

Maniac Cop II - Now we're talking! They stopped pretending to be a horror series and set out to make an insane action movie instead. There's more novelty to the mayhem this time around, and the pyrotechnics were clearly bought at a 10-for-1 sale. Vastly superior to the first movie and a fine example of a 80's B-movie. Skip the first one and watch this instead if you're in the mood for some retro sleaze.

Both movies are on Hulu. There's apparently also a third one, but from what I gather it's not worth the time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

How is Fear the Walking Dead?

I haven't watched (I actually fell off of TWD in general a while ago, I've just been picking stuff up from cultural osmosis since like season 3 or 4) but I've heard it's not significantly better.

quote:

On an unrelated note - a month or two ago I was looking at videos of Terrordrome (a fan-made 2D fighting game with horror movie characters) and I was wondering who the hell Matt Cordell was. Some googling led me to...

Maniac Cop - This is a weird movie. Not knowing much going into it, I thought it was going to be a Friday the 13th clone with a cop. It never quite gets there, though. It has all the ingredients of a cult classic slasher - hammy acting (Bruce Campbell! Robert Davi chewing scenery!), low-budget charm, and a supernatural angle. What really lets it down is that the murdering is so... pedestrian. The titular Maniac Cop (played by Robert Z'Dar, aka That Guy With A Chin Bigger Than Ron Perlman) stalks someone, the tension ramps up, and... he just sorta kills them. Forgettable.

Maniac Cop II - Now we're talking! They stopped pretending to be a horror series and set out to make an insane action movie instead. There's more novelty to the mayhem this time around, and the pyrotechnics were clearly bought at a 10-for-1 sale. Vastly superior to the first movie and a fine example of a 80's B-movie. Skip the first one and watch this instead if you're in the mood for some retro sleaze.

Both movies are on Hulu. There's apparently also a third one, but from what I gather it's not worth the time.

the Maniac Cop series loving rules, both the first and second are absolutely wonderful and the third is still pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Documentary Now! was fantastic right up until the finale two-parter. The first five episodes parodied documentary styles that haven't really been lampooned, and had a lot of interesting characters. The last two, well, do we really need another "Behind the Music" documentary parody? I guess if you're doing this kind of thing it's an obligation to do one on a music group like that, I was just bored and disappointed after the others were so good.