Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Turtlicious posted:

He's a personal friend who trades law work for beer. I seriously doubt it's someone who will talk me through AD but my manager told me that the guy who set all this up quit a couple of years back, so it might be him? I don't know I'll call the number tonight.

Record the phone call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it normal in america to hire your own lawyer when getting a job?

For somebody that constantly decries American employment policies you sure have a lot of questions.

The natural process we all go through is working hourly, being named counter terrorists with puny raises, making a presentation to the owners with white gloves on, hiring a lawyer, and being low balled to hell on a 2 year indentured servitude. You get what you put in!

Seriously turtlicious, run. Pass on the offer, your company doesn't know what technology is and you won't be the one to teach them because your knowledge is EXTREMELY limited. Find another job, the stress is not worth a sub-livable wage.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't wear the gloves I just had them in my back pocket because they made me feel cool. Yes, everyone telling me to run I'm aware I'm looking for work, but I'm not going to be unemployed so unless I have something better show up in my hunting then I need to see what I can get and education services sound awesome right now. I can barely make car payments my account is overdrawn every month. I'm not sure where you guys are expecting me to find the better deal exactly?

I'm not going to quit until I find a better paying job, but I'm not going to take this job if I can't leave the moment something better comes along.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

For somebody that constantly decries American employment policies you sure have a lot of questions.

The natural process we all go through is working hourly, being named counter terrorists with puny raises, making a presentation to the owners with white gloves on, hiring a lawyer, and being low balled to hell on a 2 year indentured servitude. You get what you put in!

Seriously turtlicious, run. Pass on the offer, your company doesn't know what technology is and you won't be the one to teach them because your knowledge is EXTREMELY limited. Find another job, the stress is not worth a sub-livable wage.

Way to miss the joke/sarcasm, clearly if you lived in a real country you wouldn't be so oblivious. My personal lawyer wrote that post too, actually.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He's obviously trolling at this point. He called it San Fran

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Think like Livermore Pleasanton Dublin area, I've never been in the city, BART freaks me the hell out.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Turtlicious posted:

I have never had a 401k so I didn't realize that it was up to a percent. Apparently it's up to 3% then 10 at 5 and then like nothing at 10. I'm sending out applications guys. I discussed it with my boss, and he told me it's his job to get me to sign on. I've sent the hiring contract to my lawyer friend, and he'll write me up something better with a "parachute" but I have no idea what that is. Boss said that they'd be willing to pay more if I could prove I could install this stuff since we have 4 offices including one in the Philippines. I decided to take a poke around the Telco room and found a phone number that just said "if helps needed call me at ### ### ####" I'm wondering if it's the guy who installed the routers or something, but they normally don't tape their number to the router right?

As for the not quitting thing, my lawyer explained it better to me, I'll be getting a stipend to pay for certs and if I quit I'll have to pay that back. He explained it to me similar to the new episode of Better Call Saul. Apparently I will also have to pay back the compensation for certs if I quit? Like they'll pay for the tests but if I bail I have to give them money back.

You've already indicated you need the job to stay alive. They're going to have to do a hell of a lot better to make that offer even remotely decent. I'd tell them you won't commit to anything that is punitive to you for seeking a job while getting paid half what you should be making in such a position. Obviously everyone knows you are going to grow into that job but frankly that offer is pathetic to any self respecting person for what the job is going to require. Just tell them if that's their final offer that you can accept it with no commitment period. If they balk at that tell them to come up on the yearly (40-ish), drop the cert track and still have no commitment.

I absolutely wouldn't sign anything though that might require you paying them back anything in exchange for getting a decent wage. You shouldn't be there longer than 6 months anyway. And if you're living check to check (which, at that salary in the east bay, I don't see how you aren't) you don't need to put yourself in the situation that you stay because you'll owe them anything.

And all this is still horribly low-balling it. I'd just try to get any sort of improvement and escape immediately.

Roargasm posted:

He's obviously trolling at this point. He called it San Fran

gently caress me how did I miss this.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 30, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Turtlicious posted:

He explained it to me similar to the new episode of Better Call Saul.
this is the most adorable thing

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's wrong with calling it San Fran in a message board when phone posting?

I grew up in LA and moved out here a couple of years ago, so I think my gf might be loving with me when she say everyone calls it that.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
As a Bay Area resident (and recent transplant as of December) no one calls it that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm really interested in tech recruiting after hearing from so many lovely ones, and hearing from annoying people at bars how much they make as recruiters. It can't possibly be as simple/fun as they make it out to be, but I'd say 99% of the recruiters I've spoke with have no clue about anything remotely technical. It's got to be a huge advantage to have a tech background when you are trying to place people.

I'd kinda like Dark Helmut to chime in on this too.

I love trying to help my friends get jobs and it seems like it could be pretty fulfilling helping others. I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing though.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
My company would unironically hire Turtlicious.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 31, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The only people I've heard say San Fran were all from outside the US.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Let me make it clear in the nicest way possible. The fact that you are actually talking to your lawyer friend about a contract for a job that pays a laughably low salary in one of the highest costing and biggest IT job markets in the United States is the most pathetic thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
1) the whole thing is 90% embellishment, but I'm certain there is 10% truth to this story. I just can't tell which 10% that is because it depends on who here is crazy.

2) there are three IT threads so playing into the story here isn't going to prevent discussion. I recommend we poes law this thing until turtlicious stops posting.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

1) the whole thing is 90% embellishment, but I'm certain there is 10% truth to this story. I just can't tell which 10% that is because it depends on who here is crazy.

2) there are three IT threads so playing into the story here isn't going to prevent discussion. I recommend we poes law this thing until turtlicious stops posting.

:justpost: is always the answer

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Turtlicious posted:

What's wrong with calling it San Fran in a message board when phone posting?

I grew up in LA and moved out here a couple of years ago, so I think my gf might be loving with me when she say everyone calls it that.

Ugh, yeah she totally is. The common name is Frisco, and if you don't call it Frisco everyone will basically laugh at you as soon as you open your mouth. Don't be another idiot going around saying "San Fran" and revealing your ignorance.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it normal in america to hire your own lawyer when getting a job?

If you're someone in the entertainment industry or are an executive, sure. Otherwise, no.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Potato Alley posted:

Ugh, yeah she totally is. The common name is Frisco, and if you don't call it Frisco everyone will basically laugh at you as soon as you open your mouth. Don't be another idiot going around saying "San Fran" and revealing your ignorance.

This thread today

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I have never had a 401k so I didn't realize that it was up to a percent. Apparently it's up to 3% then 10 at 5 and then like nothing at 10. I'm sending out applications guys. I discussed it with my boss, and he told me it's his job to get me to sign on. I've sent the hiring contract to my lawyer friend, and he'll write me up something better with a "parachute" but I have no idea what that is. Boss said that they'd be willing to pay more if I could prove I could install this stuff since we have 4 offices including one in the Philippines. I decided to take a poke around the Telco room and found a phone number that just said "if helps needed call me at ### ### ####" I'm wondering if it's the guy who installed the routers or something, but they normally don't tape their number to the router right?

As for the not quitting thing, my lawyer explained it better to me, I'll be getting a stipend to pay for certs and if I quit I'll have to pay that back. He explained it to me similar to the new episode of Better Call Saul. Apparently I will also have to pay back the compensation for certs if I quit? Like they'll pay for the tests but if I bail I have to give them money back.
You can negotiate with the hiring company to pay any clawback as part of a signing bonus if it comes to that. Keep working on your skills and certs on your own time. Check for all of the MSPs that are a reasonable commute away if you are not considering moving. You will get a lot of experience at a good MSP. A combination of more experience at your current role, and certs will help with getting interviews. There are a lot of good places to work where you can grow your skills, but the best places are looking for people with either more skills or certs. Have you had any luck with msps in Livermore area?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Potato Alley posted:

In my experience the natives tended to just call it "The City"

Also, I lived in Fremont and Hayward from 96-98 and I couldn't have made it on 30 grand THEN let alone now

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

San Fran sounds like a cool place, in Cali.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyways they are offering a 5k raise after I install the system and besides transposing words when I think talk about this. I think I could do this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Turtlicious posted:

Anyways they are offering a 5k raise after I install the system and besides transposing words when I think talk about this. I think I could do this.

You were gone to long and now your ruse has already fallen apart. A good troll is suppose to know when the game is up.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't care about this, so this part of the thread is over, just FYI

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Second.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Working in IT 4.0: Terrorists win.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 23, 2018

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

H110Hawk posted:

Working in IT 4.0: Terrorists win.

I saw an Amazon posting today for DDoS Response Team, now THAT'S a literal counter-terrorist position.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DDoS response team has to be a depressing job because all you're really doing is making things less bad.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

DDoS response team has to be a depressing job because all you're really doing is making things less bad.
Technology Psychiatrist

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I had a couple calls with recruiters last week. They said to wait for updates. This company is notorious about taking months and having a million calls and interviews before they pull the trigger and they were upfront about that.

It'll be 7 days tomorrow. Would a status check be in order or is hitting them up too aggressive?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

So I had a couple calls with recruiters last week. They said to wait for updates. This company is notorious about taking months and having a million calls and interviews before they pull the trigger and they were upfront about that.

It'll be 7 days tomorrow. Would a status check be in order or is hitting them up too aggressive?
Call them every day.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

anthonypants posted:

Call them every day.
Really? See, I want to go the other way. I want to be so engaged with other potential employers that if this recruiter does call me back, I'm in full "hmm could you jog my memory? yes yes, that sounds familiar, I'm sorry, I'm just fielding so many offers" mode. Even in the early steps, I'm already thinking salary and career advancement.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Really? See, I want to go the other way. I want to be so engaged with other potential employers that if this recruiter does call me back, I'm in full "hmm could you jog my memory? yes yes, that sounds familiar, I'm sorry, I'm just fielding so many offers" mode. Even in the early steps, I'm already thinking salary and career advancement.
I actually had a recruiter do the "allow me to introduce myself" thing via email after we'd met in person a month or so earlier and I was very unimpressed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys think you could help me with my resume? Or are you all convinced I made everything up, and there's no more help on the table? I'd go to the resume thread, but since I have a specific field in mind, I feel like here would be better.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys think you could help me with my resume?
Tell you the same thing I recently told my director, when he asked me to train a guy with zero experience to become a sys admin. If I find myself with time to advance someone's career, it is going to be my own.

anthonypants posted:

I actually had a recruiter do the "allow me to introduce myself" thing via email after we'd met in person a month or so earlier and I was very unimpressed.
Certainly if they can't remember you, that's a bad thing. I want to (at least pretend) not remember them. I've just got too many gosh darn recruiters, interviews and job offers these days to keep you all straight, I'm afraid.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 31, 2016

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Recuriters in my country seem useless, one job profile sounded really interesting and I put a lot of effort into my submission, all I got back after three days was a "won't consider you" from the recruiter.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys think you could help me with my resume? Or are you all convinced I made everything up, and there's no more help on the table? I'd go to the resume thread, but since I have a specific field in mind, I feel like here would be better.

If getting on BART scares you I can't help you with your career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

luminalflux posted:

If getting on BART scares you I can't help you with your career

That was a half joke, and I have a car, but doesn't the fact the thing goes under the bay in an earth quake prone area, even a little disconcerting?