Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

But "you have to be ridiculously muscular to bench 400lb" does not mean benching 400lb is the best or even an efficient way to get muscular. There's a reason that bodybuilders and powerlifters don't follow the exact same training protocol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Skim Milk posted:

gently caress you, buddy. you'll lift those 5lbs pink dumbbells and you'll like it

Hey, I've done pyramid sets where I end up with like fourteen 10s on the bar and people do look at you funny.

But when you end up with no more weight on the bar and pushing to failure is like 7 reps? People look at you even funnier.

Edit: yeah I know you said dumbbells, but the "why do 5 lb weights exist" thing came up earlier itt, and I just want to say that the smaller weights do have a purpose.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I keep racking the 10lb plates on the top of the plate tree and somebody is moving them down to the bottom. Why would you want the most used plates on the bottom? Who are you irrational plate guy?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hey, I've done pyramid sets where I end up with like fourteen 10s on the bar and people do look at you funny.

But when you end up with no more weight on the bar and pushing to failure is like 7 reps? People look at you even funnier.

Edit: yeah I know you said dumbbells, but the "why do 5 lb weights exist" thing came up earlier itt, and I just want to say that the smaller weights do have a purpose.

but the real bros know you're going through some poo poo

dying with 45lbs in hand is the greatest

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Chinatown posted:

but the more weight you have on the bar the cooler you look so....:confused:

there was a super hot chick doing the same weights as me on hip abductors, when i went up she went up too lol

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
i did not feel cool

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Fallows posted:

i did not feel cool

did u smash, or did u just look at old dick in the sauna after?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Profondo Rosso posted:

But "you have to be ridiculously muscular to bench 400lb" does not mean benching 400lb is the best or even an efficient way to get muscular. There's a reason that bodybuilders and powerlifters don't follow the exact same training protocol.

Agreed. In fact benching 400 is stupid and will lead to shoulder/neck/elbow problems.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So long as you lift w a modicum of intensity and your routine is somewhat balanced, consistency compounded over time is what will yield results. Weight training is incredibly simple

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
So I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5. My squat has reached 205 for 5x5 on a good day, days like today 205 ends up 5/4/4/2/2. My DL is at 255 1x5 and increasing 5lbs every workout is very manageable so far. Is this plateau in my squat a signal that it's time to move away from linear programs to a period based thing?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Paper Diamonds posted:

So I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5. My squat has reached 205 for 5x5 on a good day, days like today 205 ends up 5/4/4/2/2. My DL is at 255 1x5 and increasing 5lbs every workout is very manageable so far. Is this plateau in my squat a signal that it's time to move away from linear programs to a period based thing?

eat more

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
I'm trying! I've gained like 15 pounds in 5 months of lifting.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Paper Diamonds posted:

I'm trying! I've gained like 15 pounds in 5 months of lifting.

hows your salami intake?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Chinatown posted:

hows your salami intake?

salami and chedderjack w/ milk bulk diet

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Paper Diamonds posted:

The answer may shock you.

How much do you weigh? (What % of your body weight is 205/255?)

The answer is maybe.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
as a muscle scientist, i agree

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
is it weird that i really like cabbage now? I mean some steamed carrots, broccoli, and cabbage with a steak/chicken is drat good.

lotsa hot sauce tho.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

My Q-Face posted:

The answer may shock you.

How much do you weigh? (What % of your body weight is 205/255?)

The answer is maybe.
Im 193ish depending on the scale.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Paper Diamonds posted:

Im 193ish depending on the scale.

Back off about 20-25 pounds and start the progression over again from there.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i didnt ride today so i ate nothing except a black coffee, a granola bar, and a fisherman's eggs (and a few beers)

anyone do the keto thing before? it seems scary to avoid carbs since my brain equates carbs with performance

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

numberoneposter posted:

i didnt ride today so i ate nothing except a black coffee, a granola bar, and a fisherman's eggs (and a few beers)

anyone do the keto thing before? it seems scary to avoid carbs since my brain equates carbs with performance

Imagine hitting the wall except that's the way you are all the time, and then your body + brain functions operate at a level low enough to think that keto is a good idea for an endurance athlete.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I like this lovely thread.

I'm a skinnyfat poo poo because I eat like garbage and don't go to the gym enough, but I've been riding my bike to the gym in the mornings lift so hopefully I'll be swole with you all someday goonfriends. I just have to... Like actually loving do it.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

So long as you lift w a modicum of intensity and your routine is somewhat balanced, consistency compounded over time is what will yield results. Weight training is incredibly simple

And you're eating enough or on steroids. It really is simple

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Didn't realise that this dumb thread was back again.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
If you ain't loud, you ain't doin' it right.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Diamonds posted:

You're pretty much at exactly the point I was when I stopped doing 5x5. I had some success with 5/3/1 but the squat is a bitch. Try doing 5x10 squats with a manageable weight for a few weeks and see if it helps.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I have a cold so I can't train. But I can tan. That's half the battle right?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

notZaar posted:

You're pretty much at exactly the point I was when I stopped doing 5x5. I had some success with 5/3/1 but the squat is a bitch. Try doing 5x10 squats with a manageable weight for a few weeks and see if it helps.

I also hit a brief plateau around that point. Just backing off and working my way back up was enough for me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

My Q-Face posted:

I also hit a brief plateau around that point. Just backing off and working my way back up was enough for me.

thats called "edging"

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

notZaar posted:

Can confirm squatting 5x10 is a good idea. Did that Tuesday and I'm still sore as heck today.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Chinatown posted:

thats called "edging"

Googled that. ... Wait, I'm supposed to stop? That explains my lack o' gains!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

It depends on what exactly you're looking for out of it. When I need to dig myself out of a fat lazy hole and get back to the gym, keto is a good way to lose weight and still make some gains. Once your body is used to it (after like a week, maybe) you have plenty of energy. If you're already approaching a decent weight/start to plateau, you can look into cyclical keto, where you pretty much eat a bunch of carbs all weekend and don't during the week. I use it as an excuse to eat a lot of pizza and drink beer on the weekends

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn't have any lunch. In fact, I didn't eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn't ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was.

Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too.

It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom asks me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. "Mom, it's just for a school project".

"What project?"

"I don't know mom I just started it!".

A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don't want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don't.

Creatine.

All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear "Do you want a cookie I just baked". I know I do not have time for this **** now. "No mom I do not want a cookie" I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Aralan posted:

It depends on what exactly you're looking for out of it. When I need to dig myself out of a fat lazy hole and get back to the gym, keto is a good way to lose weight and still make some gains. Once your body is used to it (after like a week, maybe) you have plenty of energy. If you're already approaching a decent weight/start to plateau, you can look into cyclical keto, where you pretty much eat a bunch of carbs all weekend and don't during the week. I use it as an excuse to eat a lot of pizza and drink beer on the weekends

i just try to avoid bread/pasta/wheat/corn poo poo, etc. and not really worry about counting carbs since you can drive yourself insane with it.

but weekends i smash pizza and burritos on da reg

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

eating 15 dollars of burger king

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I had a zeus gyro after today's workout, plenty of spicy meat and feta for the body meat.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
I am able to do more reps of 45 and 35 on each side of the bench press bar today lol. Felt powerful.

Some guy talking about "pyramiding" itt which I assume means reducing weight until you fail at each weight. Is that good to do?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Revenants Return posted:

reducing weight until you fail at each weight. Is that good to do?

I f*ckin love doing this. failing with 25s on is funny as hell.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That is correct. Always do it with a spotter though, because you can only dump weight so many times per day before they ask you to leave.

Also, watching your spotter one-hand pick up the empty bar that you cannot push up at all is hilarious. You writhe on the bench. Mostly in exhaustion. Partly in laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chinatown posted:

I f*ckin love doing this. failing with 25s on is funny as hell.

I finish every shoulders day doing Rear Delt --> Lateral Delt --> Anterior --> OHP for 10 reps each, no breaks in between, starting at 25 lbs and going down by 5 lbs each superset. Sincerely struggling to press 10 lbs by the end of it must look pretty hilarious to a dude who just walked into the gym.

• Locked thread