Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Bland posted:

Man I've played over 2000 games and I don't think I've unlocked even half of the champions in the game, how many games do you have to have played to have no use for champion shards?

Riot used to do double ip weekends like the world was gonna end so if you spammed the gently caress out of games you could make mad ip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Gridlocked posted:

Neat. Can anyone give advice on how to build him because champion.gg has him at a 46% win rate; but I understand that's mostly because he has a 10% play-rate and people who don't know how to play him/pick him on the right teams are losing games at champ select.

There's a lot of ways to build Bard, and especially in terms of runes a lot of approaches are strong in their own way. In general though:

Run Flash/Ignite 90% of the time, he has a ton of early lane pressure and base damage and you really want to be able to capitalize on that/bring damage for roams. Versus all assassins you can go exhaust, but he has a lot of cc options already/ways to stop allins and it can be tough to justify giving up that much power.

For masteries, I think 0/18/12 with Thunderlords is the best way to build him, but there's some debate.

For runes, pick and choose a combo of the following:

Reds: Hybrid pen, Magic Pen, Attack Speed, AD
Yellows: Health, Armor
Blues: Magic resist, mana/5 (imo not a great option b.c you get so much from chimes, but some ppl do it), AP, AP/lvl or CDR if you have a specific build in mind.
Quints: Armor/HP, MS, AP

I would look at probuilds or the like to get a better idea of what are good combinations of these. IMO the best Bards to watch/emulate are Wolf & Madlife in the LCK and Aphromoo in NA. However, all of the above runes have been used by Bard players in high elo and it's very much personal preference. I have 3 or 4 different Bard pages I swap in and out, but honestly a standard AD reds page with AP or AS quints and tank yellows/blues will do just fine.

Items:

You want to build tanky cdr as a general guideline.

Always start spellthiefs, but from there you can go FQC or Eye of the Watchers, depending on how many wards your team can provide/if the ghost active is useful/whether or not you need to just rush for Aegis.

The other 'almost always build' item is Locket, or if you don't need the tankiness Banner, but at a high level it's pretty much all Locket.

For boots, you can go either Swifties, Mobos or Lucidity. I personally choose one of the first two if I'm roaming heavily and am going to build a Mikhaels/Zekes or other CDR items and choose Lucidity if I want to go straight to a tankier build.

For flex items, Mikhaels/Zekes are pretty popular. Use these if you go MS boots, or have a strong carry to protect. Generally very solid options on Bard.

Frozen Heart, despite being imo a bit weak at the moment, is very good on Bard -- he can keep people just in the aura pretty easily, and if you go swifties/mobos FH can go a long way towards getting you to 40% cdr.

Randuins and Spectres Cowl are both fine tank items, as well as Zz'rot if you're capped on cdr and need the pushing power.

Iceborn Gauntlet is something a lot of people like on him, that does give him stats he likes, but with the way slow stacking works you don't get much out of the passive when it procs on a meep-empowered auto. I personally never build it, but a decent number of people do.

As for when to pick him, he's pretty versatile and there aren't any auto-loss matchups. That said, he is pretty weak to Blitzcrank all-ins, Soraka can outsustain him pretty well, and Sona can often outdps in early trades. Even those matchups, that statistically are low 40% win rate for Bard are still mostly skill matchups, and even if you lose in lane you can go roam and get advantages elsewhere. IMO he's the strongest generalist support at the moment, post the Thresh nerfs and his buffs.

e: the caveat to him being strong & versatile is that he also does have a pretty high skillcap, and while you're figuring out how to play him it can involve a lot of feeding and bad ults. But imo he's incredibly rewarding to learn, he was my first Mastery 5 champ and is definitely my favorite character in the game. As you've probably gathered from a lot of other posters, he's got a v dedicated player base.

There's a lot to playing him, I would look on /r/summonerschool or /r/bardmains for challenger level guides, there are some surprisingly good ones. Or watch Aphromoo/Wolf/Madlife vods/streams. The former has really solid roaming play, Wolf is good all-around, and Madlife pretty much hard carries with his bard ults.

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 31, 2016

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Everyone shut the gently caress up for a second and look at this.

http://imgur.com/a/siDb0

They mock me like this. They spit in my face and expect me to ask for more, and I do, because I've been beaten down and know my only reason for existence is to be a subject for abuse. :smith:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What the gently caress am I looking at

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Ascension, a special mode game of dominion which recently died

also kashuno guy get back your loving impact av that anime poo poo looks stupid

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Ascension was fun. I got all the icons.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Remind me to never chat in game again.

Oh god why do I do it. I know I mentally cannot handle Bronze players giving me strategy advice, and yet I still do it.

This time, it started with me coming bot to let a Draven who was at 5% health go back without losing his tower. Pinging back, over and over. He of course stayed, and died. After I went to bot lane specifically to allow him to safely back and not lose the tower.

I just really need to not let that poo poo eat me up. No matter how loving stupid someone is in League, it can literally never be a bad decision on their part. There is always something or someone else that justifies it.

My current bad decision is ever using chat. I cannot justify it. It is just a stupid loving decision on my part. I need to stop. I just need to. Oh god.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I really learned a lot today, Djinn is also really good, thanks keeby

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Thanks so much man. Sounds like he is going to require some dedication to learn rather then just playing Naut/Quinn for days :P

Hmmm. Tech too secret for me.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 31, 2016

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Oh my god I cannot believe we actually pulled through and won this game. http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2142912657/128125?tab=overview

Defended our nexus twice with only one turret left. Stole Baron from a WW that tried to solo it for some stupid reason. Combo stunned the 10/3/7 WW who had previously one shot me with his ult.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Great post from foutre IMO. There is no actual consensus even among pros about how to rune page Bard. If you look up a lot of competitive match stats there are wildly different setups a lot of the top Bard players use. I would recommend trying a lot of them out like he said and find what works best.

Also look up some YouTube highlights or lol event VoDs of EVER (ESC) Key playing Bard in Korean challenger or the international event where EVER played. He was the first guy to really blow up competitive with Bard and he's the best in the world at him IMO. He had like dozens of consecutive Bard bans in competitive matches.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I was thinking of starting with Hybrid Reds/Armour Quints/HP Yellows/AP Blues because that seems to be the most popular Damage+Health+Survial set up and I'm honestly not worried about having MR in lane especially because AoL is such a big purchase.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My bard has aspd reds

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Methanar posted:

When I post is it really like reading Naga's posts?

I'm so sorry.

no because you don't fill the thread with 100 pissy argument posts instead of taking it to PM or whatever

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That beard is almost as offensive though tbh

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
If I had any wish in life it would be for them to revert the juggernaut update for skarner :allears:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Gridlocked posted:

Thanks so much man. Sounds like he is going to require some dedication to learn rather then just playing Naut/Quinn for days :P

Hmmm. Tech too secret for me.

should be fixed

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Do you run probuilds?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Gridlocked posted:

Is Tham Kench just bad now?

I got 8k IP to spend and I was looking at picking up either Tham for Top/Support, Kindred for a new jungle experience or Bard because he looks mad fun to play.

Tahm's overnerfed, but he's one of those champs who will always be either broken or overnerfed. Kindred is a squishy finicky champion who has trouble fitting into most groups. Brad is awesome. Buy Brad.

You will hate Brad for like 10 games because everything you do is wrong, then you will love Brad forever. He's weird but he's balanced and once his kit 'clicks' with you it's really, really good. Also his base and skins are all good.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Biowarfare posted:

should be fixed

Nope.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Luna Was Here posted:

Riot used to do double ip weekends like the world was gonna end so if you spammed the gently caress out of games you could make mad ip

yeah :shrug:

and i know some people here have more than i do

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ok it should be fixed now

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Verviticus posted:

ok it should be fixed now

Nope.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

i loaded the site just fine, its something on your end

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Luna Was Here posted:

i loaded the site just fine, its something on your end

Specifically Madlife or just the site in general? Cause it's working fine when I try to load say Wolf but not Madlife for some reason.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
specifically madlife

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh well hosed if I know then

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
@keeby
you

me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Servaetes posted:

also kashuno guy get back your loving impact av that anime poo poo looks stupid

I fully agree and will be buying it back to replace this bad anime one

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

I'm not mad at anything lmao.
You seem super mad, though, all the time. Maybe walk away from this thread for a bit.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

You seem super mad, though, all the time. Maybe walk away from this thread for a bit.

naga you got a mod to go into a moba thread jfc

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

naga you got a mod to go into a moba thread jfc

We're hosed now

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
oh god my relentless shitposting will finally be checked

either that or it will be business as usual with Naga kicked out of another moba thread

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

They will close the thread like they did with Dota.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bholder posted:

God no where else will I get Bard advice, get told my friends are assholes and have pog boyfriend humorously tear my games apart?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Bholder posted:

i always knew we had the better community >:)

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Darth Windu posted:

I forget he has an E literally all of the time except when I need to escape then I use it and die

See, I'm the opposite. Playing Bard opens up a magical realm where walls are actually superhighways that get me places faster.

The only problem is when I play him for a week or two straight, and then go to other supports.

":smug: Found me dropping a deep ward, eh, Mr. Enemy Jungler? Well I guess I'll just zip out of here with my--Braum doesn't have portals. :saddowns:"

Seriously, though. Learning to portal properly, maxing it second, so it's always up, and figuring out all the little glitchy places you can either portal straight through curved walls, or places to avoid, since they always give you annoying chode portals, is one of the things I found "unlocks" Bard and makes him so much fun.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I want to know each and every person who says Morgana is bad so that I may fight them with my fists

I agree here. Maybe it's because at Wood 6, everything feels good, but Morg feels kinda powerful right now. Thunderlord's feels powerful on her, her kit is fairly straightforward (except maybe her ult). In lane, her puddle lets you zone ADCs who are paying attention, and get free poke on the ones who just stand there CSing in the poo poo, and her teamfight is powerful, especially when the enemy team obligingly gets out of position or clumps up.

Plus, as someone who's played a lot of Bard, she feels like a really solid Bard counter. Bind-puddle whenever he comes up to harass with his stun in lane, bind-puddle whenever you catch him out roaming, and, of course, black shielding the target of his ult makes me laugh like Milhouse because I know how hard that ult was to pull off properly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Good bard portals make or break a bard player.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011
Bard can stun Morgana through ranks 1-4 black shield (assuming q-first and no ap investment early) because the q is two instances of cc, the stun is actually delayed until the second target is hit.
Also by the time you get rank 5 shield Bard has meeps that can two shot the shield too.

But you're right the counter lies in blocking the ultimate it's just the shield is too fragile to stop any of his pre-6 antics.

I still enjoy running ap Bard now and again when the circumstances permit for it, though.

E: playing any other champion after Bard is weird because you forget you're not immune to terrain, like other Bard players have said.

Mottie fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Kashuno posted:

Good bard portals make or break a bard player.

I recommend watching a lot of old Loony Tunes shorts to get the proper sense of "It would be so funny if I popped out of a hole in this wall and messed with that dude".

Despite his whole "spiritual zen master" flavor, the proper mindset to have when playing Bard is "Bugs Bunny".

Edit:

Mottie posted:

Bard can stun Morgana through ranks 1-4 black shield (assuming q-first and no ap investment early) because the q is two instances of cc, the stun is actually delayed until the second target is hit.
Also by the time you get rank 5 shield Bard has meeps that can two shot the shield too.

Which is why I don't bother trying to black shield myself for stuns. I just try to use my knowledge of Bard to keep myself away from stun opportunities, and give him the ol' Q-W fuckoff whenever I see him lining up a shot.

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread