Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RareAcumen posted:

I'm going to expand that question out to most superheroes besides Batman as well. Green Lantern, Flash, etc.

In the comics pre 52 Wally was public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

In the comics pre 52 Wally was public

Those were just the only examples I could think of. :shobon: I don't really know much about Hawkgirl, Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who came up with Kryptonians wearing these puffy white things around their arms. Looks like shaving foam or something. For example (from JLA: The Nail):

I know they're in Man of Steel, but did they originate with John Byrne or are they a Silver Age thing he was calling back to?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's good old Johnny Redbeard.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I'm going to expand that question out to most superheroes besides Batman as well. Green Lantern, Flash, etc.

Currently Lex knows Batman's identity since he connected the dots after Dick Grayson was outed as Nightwing. He also knows Superman's since Supes' got outed in his comic. As far as other Leaguers go, I don't think he knows Flash or GL, though they haven't really mentioned if he's tried to figure them out. Wonder Woman and Aquaman have no secret identities at the moment, and Cyborg is Cyborg. Dude couldn't keep himself a secret if he tried.

I'm not sure on Shazam. I don't think he's revealed his identity to anyone on the League but my memory is shaky.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The new X-Men '92 comic doesn't have an Infinite Comics version, does it? Doesn't seem like it when I look at comiXology, but I wanna make sure before buying the floppies.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Nope, it's straight to print. Although I imagine there will be a same-day digital edition as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Although I imagine there will be a same-day digital edition as well.

It is. Got my free digital copy with the floppy. I'm just going to miss the "animation". :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Uthor posted:

It is. Got my free digital copy with the floppy. I'm just going to miss the "animation". :(

Agreed. Great for the format mash-up.

I want more crazy Morrison poo poo with my favorite X-Men team! Hope this delivers.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't cyborg have a holo disguise thing back in the perez days or did young me smoke too much crack

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Didn't cyborg have a holo disguise thing back in the perez days or did young me smoke too much crack

Must've been a ways in, I'm reading the New Teen Titans and ever scene with Cyborg is him bemoaning his appearance, and sulking that his not-girlfriend doesn't really care for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Scaramouche posted:

For a time it seemed like everyone had one of those.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Usually Cyborg wore a trench coat and fedora. The freak hiding outfit of choice in the 80's.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Usually Cyborg wore a trench coat and fedora. The freak hiding outfit of choice in the 80's.

That was the usual for Ben Grimm 60's disguise

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's a classic look.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Scaramouche posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Nightcrawler's cop out of choice?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

It's a classic look.

Whoa, four Cyborgs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I know he had a ring that did that for a bit in the Teen Titans cartoon.

TwoPair posted:

Currently Lex knows Batman's identity since he connected the dots after Dick Grayson was outed as Nightwing. He also knows Superman's since Supes' got outed in his comic. As far as other Leaguers go, I don't think he knows Flash or GL, though they haven't really mentioned if he's tried to figure them out. Wonder Woman and Aquaman have no secret identities at the moment, and Cyborg is Cyborg. Dude couldn't keep himself a secret if he tried.

I'm not sure on Shazam. I don't think he's revealed his identity to anyone on the League but my memory is shaky.

Sounds about right for what I assumed. I'm really just asking about all superheroes because I have no idea who's terrible at keeping identities secret and who's just out there like Iron Man.

Which Aquaman is the normal version? Where between kind of an rear end in a top hat like the Justice League presented him and jolly punch-happy bearded man that Brave and the Bold does he usually hover around?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

RareAcumen posted:

Which Aquaman is the normal version? Where between kind of an rear end in a top hat like the Justice League presented him and jolly punch-happy bearded man that Brave and the Bold does he usually hover around?
Brave and the Bold was, sadly, quite unique. Generally he's right at Justice League levels, usually because the writers are convinced that they're gonna be the ones to convince everyone that Aquaman is too cool and not dumb, so look at how badass and not a joke Aquaman is and he's actually better than all the superheroes you like, see how he disrespects them and they think he's awesome, and sure that's never worked before but this time it will!

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

zoux posted:

Whoa, four Cyborgs.

Racist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

Brave and the Bold was, sadly, quite unique. Generally he's right at Justice League levels, usually because the writers are convinced that they're gonna be the ones to convince everyone that Aquaman is too cool and not dumb, so look at how badass and not a joke Aquaman is and he's actually better than all the superheroes you like, see how he disrespects them and they think he's awesome, and sure that's never worked before but this time it will!

It's loving hilarious how that never works, since that's basically Namor, and Namor usually gets taken seriously, even when he gets jobbed. (Probably helps that Namor is frequently the antagonist in a story)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's loving hilarious how that never works, since that's basically Namor, and Namor usually gets taken seriously, even when he gets jobbed. (Probably helps that Namor is frequently the antagonist in a story)

It's the fish-talking thing. People have trouble with taking that seriously, but Namor's just a buff dude.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

It's cool, but I imagine it's way more work than a regular comic. I doubt they figure it's worth it for what will not be a top-selling comic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Namor can fly too.

Oh is he still dead, I'm six mos. behind.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fake edit: oh hey a reason to break this out again:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Aquaman doesn't have enough arrogance in him to pull off being Namor, and they'd never have him say something as "goofy" as Imperius Rex! when trying to make him SERIOUS.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Was there ever more than one Aquaman or has he always been half-Atlantean/half-human?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's more than one, but not concurrently I think. The original has been through the full list of origins too.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Madkal posted:

Was there ever more than one Aquaman or has he always been half-Atlantean/half-human?

The Golden Age version of Aquaman was fully human. His father was a famous oceanographer (apparently so famous they never say his name, because you would recognize it) who took his infant son down to the sea floor where they discovered the ruins of Atlantis and set up a home there. It was using Atlantean tech that the father imbued his son (never known as anything other than Aquaman) with the ability to breathe underwater and speak the language of the fishes.

It wasn't until the late '50s that we got the Tom Curry/Atlanna origin and Aquaman finally got a real name.

For the record, you can tell the difference between Golden Age Aquaman and Silver Age Aquaman by the color of his gloves: the former's gloves were yellow, the latter's the more familiar green. (Later reprints of the original Aquaman origin have since recolored his gloves green, however.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How does the DC One Million trade compared to the omnibus? I'd like to read the event but I'm not a huge fan of the massive size / cost of the latter format.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanks for the confirmation of the crack smoking theory guys, I guess I just remembered cyborg would don disguised but just not what form they took. Which is crazy because if I had a crazy metal face and body I think it'd be cool AF.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How does the DC One Million trade compared to the omnibus? I'd like to read the event but I'm not a huge fan of the massive size / cost of the latter format.

If it's the same old trade that I have, it has only about 7 of the 20+ issues from the entire crossover, the ones directly relevant to the main plot. In some cases it only has half of the relevant issue. The rest are summarised in text. It does come off as rather garbled.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's worth getting the whole scope of it and imagining what it was like to read your DC comics in that month.
Plus you got a nice looking doorstop.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Does Jessica Drew still dye her hair or has one of her dimension hopping trips mean her hair is forever black now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

Does Jessica Drew still dye her hair or has one of her dimension hopping trips mean her hair is forever black now?

During the JLA/Avengers crossover she traded hair with Black Canary.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lady superheroes used to have remarkable concern the their hair might give away their secret identities.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Thanks to this blonde wig, no supervillain will be able to figure out who I really am."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

During the JLA/Avengers crossover she traded hair with Black Canary.

Oh thank goodness, now she has a kid I am very concerned about her hair care budget.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

"Thanks to this blonde wig, no supervillain will be able to figure out who I really am."

She hangs out with Ollie, and he has an even worse secret identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's really weird how hard DC gets for secret ID's and there are like two Marvel guys with secret IDs.