Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Dark Id posted:

Turns out finishing this LP was what was really holding back Final Fantasy XV getting a release date announced after all these years. Super sorry.

Considering what they seem to have made to kill time in the interim, I can only thank you. :allears:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

Turns out finishing this LP was what was really holding back Final Fantasy XV getting a release date announced after all these years. Super sorry.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Haha fabulous.

I will say however XV turns out, it at least is going to be something very different.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Considering what they seem to have made to kill time in the interim, I can only thank you. :allears:

I will be tickled as hell if XV actually turns out to be cool and fun after a decade of development hell.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Man I cannot believe they're already circulating spoiler images from Final Fantasy XV.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Now I want a Final Fantasy written by Stephen King.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alaan posted:

Now I want a Final Fantasy written by Stephen King.

Whether we get classic/short story Stephen and it's good, OR batshit insane modern "Uncle Stevie" we all win. This is a win/win proposition.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
Is there anyway you can unend the lp?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Dark Id posted:

Man I cannot believe they're already circulating spoiler images from Final Fantasy XV.

Wooow. :golfclap:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Dark Id posted:

Punishment for leaking this the incursion of Blitzball in FFXV.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

That's gonna be quite the day. Luke Cage on Netflix, and FFXV.

I should probably get a PS4 soon...

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Thanks for the LP! I never made it all the way through this one back in 8th grade...

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

HR12345 posted:

He's made it clear he is NOT doing the HD version since that would mean if he had to backtrack for anything, he'd have to fight the Dark Aeons which are a pain in the rear end from what I heard. Even if he was masochistic enough to do so so he could fight and kill Penance, the reward is not worth the effort.

That aspect is mitigated slightly by the fact that you only need to do that grinding if you want to have a "fair fight" against the Dark Aeons and deal with their mechanics legitimately. Otherwise you can just Zanmato everything, since another change to the non-vanilla versions is that Yojimbo is far less of a dick and it's much easier to get him to Zanmato poo poo.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

They needed you to get done using Thorse so they could turn him into a Staff for Ramuh in the stuff that was shown last night,

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SO5 also got a release date...

Looks like there's lots of agony coming for TDI...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
dark id has not played star ocean games of the past and probably has no need of a fifth one

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I dunno, seeing his :psyduck: at the insanity of Second Story would be a treat.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'd say do Star Ocean: Till the End of Time...but there's already an LP of that going on and last time we had two LPs of the same game (Star Wars KOTOR)...one got shut down by the other...because THAT'S not being an rear end in a top hat or anything.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

As someone who counts Second Story as one of his favorite games of all time... yeah, there are at least six times just off the top of my head that would make him go WTF.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Star Ocean 1 is too drat dull to make fun of, it's just every archaic jRPG cliche from the 16-bit rolled into one without any redeeming value, and White Dragon already slaughtered the ever loving gently caress out of SO2.

He should do SO4. Oh my god, an LP of that by TDI would be a thing of pure beauty.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jesus Christ, shut the gently caress up about what game you like that he should do next.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I played like an hour of Star Ocean 3 and loving hated it.[/Lifetime Star Ocean Experience]

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Dark Id posted:

I played like an hour of Star Ocean 3 and loving hated it.[/Lifetime Star Ocean Experience]

You were better off. I played maybe four hours, saw the twist and sold the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Id should stop LPing games, run up into the mountains, and become a crazy hermit mountain man.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Let's Play Hermit Mountain Man

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So which optional characters do you think he'd go with? I figure he'd do Ashton/Precis because the former's dragons and latter's batshitness would give him plenty to riff on.

Only problem is that would leave him room to recruit Noel, and that would be like having Kimarhi all over again. Even worse; at least Kimarhi can be made to be able to contribute in battle with some grinding. Noel is quite literally fuckin' useless.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Id should stop LPing games, run up into the mountains, and become a crazy hermit mountain man.

He'd go crazy (...well, crazier) inside of an hour. He enjoys the hurting. At least that's what I tell myself to justify him playing schlock like Limbo of the Lost and Clock Tower 3.

Bufuman posted:

So which optional characters do you think he'd go with? I figure he'd do Ashton/Precis because the former's dragons and latter's batshitness would give him plenty to riff on.

Only problem is that would leave him room to recruit Noel, and that would be like having Kimarhi all over again. Even worse; at least Kimarhi can be made to be able to contribute in battle with some grinding. Noel is quite literally fuckin' useless.

The commentary he could do for Ashton's dragons bitching at/about him and each other would be wonderful.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This was one hell of an ending to one hell (in more ways than one) of an LP. Take a break. Let the freedom sink in. Do a backflip or something, I don't know.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Just want to give my thanks for doing the LP. Amazing stuff as always, honestly didn't know if the LP would come back after the PS2 died, but I'm glad it did.

FFX was probably one of the first games I sank more than 100 hours into, and it's because I was too young to realize how preposterously stupid the endgame content was. For what it's worth, it's somewhat exciting being able to legitimately build a team and find a strategy for the monster arena, it's just a shame so much of it tends to be "grind till you win" or "use Anima/Yojimbo/Magus Sisters", and I personally could only defeat Earth Eater (after many attempts) without looking up guides.

It's a mess of a game, but it has some good characters, and some good moments, and one could do much much worse in terms of both JRPGs and FF games. X-2 had good gameplay, and that was good enough for me, though I had to stay glued to the guide, lest I miss some fluff conversation from the old guy and miss the good ending (NOT A JOKE!). Oh, and as poo poo as most of the minigames in that are, I will defend Sphere Break to the death. Math can be fun, too! :colbert:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm glad you were finally able to send this LP to where it belongs, Id.

Great job on following through, man. I never really posted but I really appreciated your dedication through this, for multiple years no less. It was cool to see a FF I never had a chance to get very far into. It's such an interesting mess, and clearly parts of it have not aged well at all, the core gameplay mechanics are something that could be really cool and strategic if revisited, although it's pretty obvious how summons can easily break the game.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

If thats Till the End of Time then, Same.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
SO1 was okay, albeit pretty bog standard in a lot of ways. Second Story was a fun game, even if parts of the plot made me want to slap people and several characters were nigh-useless in all regards. Till The End Of Time was more bullshit than fun even without talking about the plot, and while I never played The Last Hope myself, the reviews seem to range from "scathing" to "Id having to play Dirge of Cerberus again" levels of bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SO3 is the worst JRPG I've ever played.

I liked SO4 but I had pretty low standards after SO3. Nevertheless, I liked the music and battle system and the fact the game was self-aware enough to have a whole cutscene mocking the kind of people playing SO4.

GregorCanteberry
Feb 12, 2014
Dark Id, let me just say you are a LP legend. Because of this, I actually bought a PS4 and a copy of FFX/X-2 HD Remix+ or what the gently caress ever. And I read your LP along with it, my wife laughing a couple of times as I acted it out.

You and those two LP's for Final Fantasy Legend I/II are what made me finally get a SA account.

Also, I've actually played through Star Ocean 1-3, 100 with all battle trophies back in the day. :suicide:

SO: Till the End of Time is Drakengard 2 level "Hot Garbage."

SO: The Last Hope is "Hot Garbage" x100.

GregorCanteberry fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 1, 2016

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

I see, I see.

Clearly, this means you must play this next. :devil:

I kid, of course. Maybe play something that won't drive you mad in retrospect? :shrug:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Star Ocean The Last Hope is loving hilarious. It is in no way a good game, and I'm pretty sure that the people who made the game intended it to be taken seriously, but ... it's still goddamned hilarious.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
I was able to finish SO3. I have tried 4 times to finish SO4 and I just...can't...do it. The VA is SO bad, the animation and graphics are awful, and the story is even worse the SO3. There are zero redeemable characters in Last Hope, three at least has Somewhat likeable PC's.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like Star Ocean 4 because it's actually about traveling the star ocean. You're the captain of a spaceship and everything. Spaceship has cool music, too.

Xenoveritas posted:

Star Ocean The Last Hope is loving hilarious. It is in no way a good game, and I'm pretty sure that the people who made the game intended it to be taken seriously, but ... it's still goddamned hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6eCYKtdTVI

Bacchus is the man.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Star Ocean 4 has some abysmally bad plot railroading.

You travel to an alternate dimension 1950s earth when neither time travel nor alternate dimensions were established to be a thing, and the portal literally comes out of nowhere. You give the incredibly dangerous prototype engine to the same general lady who has captured and potentially experimented on your entire crew, and who, incidentally, has actual crazy eyes. This whole alternate universe gets turned into a black hole as you fly back to your dimension, giving you a killcount of 6 billion or about 1000 Hitlers (a kiloHitler, if you will). Why? So you could pick up a 15 year old cat girl in a bikini as a party member.

gently caress Star Ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's loving criminal that there's going to be five Star Oceans but Anachronox will never get a sequel.

• Locked thread