Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How about we stop arguing with MisterBibs and get back to the topic at hand:

Milking Rich Evans' tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Milking Rich Evans' tits.
But how will we get his pants off?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

LividLiquid posted:

But how will we get his pants off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFcZtO-QOE

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know why you (or others) came into a Superman film expecting anything short of trusting Superman being an absolute.

MisterBibs posted:

They did that by making the character Superman, though, and not some knockoff Superman where the notion of him not being trustworthy is possible.

MisterBibs posted:

You cannot separate the implicit trust Superman engenders from the Superman character.

MisterBibs posted:

None of this "well, I think the dude who is consistently coded as the hero is secretly not a hero" stuff.

MisterBibs posted:

They did it by having a guy whose character is inherently, unarguably, intractably coded as a hero long before frame one airs.

None of those are mind control or misunderstandings.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That implicit trust is literally what those covers are trading on, though? They're expecting you to see the cover, go "wait whaaaa, Supes wouldn't do that!" and buy it to figure out the context.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Little Timmy buying Superman comics is a loving idiot though. The idea of Superman is extremely outdated. A new film could have been one of two things - the same idealised nostalgia geared towards a new audience, or a subversion of these ideas. The first one would be incredibly boring and probably forgotten in a few years.

MoS and BvS went for something in between and the results were not good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Funny, that's the opposite of what I was told less than a month ago when I asked in one of the Panel threads when I asked about Superdickery. The covers make you think Superman might not be the hero we all know and love, but their actual stories culminate in a "Pshaw, he's a hero we all know and love, what is wrong with you" message.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 29, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

Little Timmy buying Superman comics is a loving idiot though. The idea of Superman is extremely outdated. A new film could have been one of two things - the same idealised nostalgia geared towards a new audience, or a subversion of these ideas. The first one would be incredibly boring and probably forgotten in a few years.

MoS and BvS went for something in between and the results were not good.

I believe Captain America was fairly popular and remembered as "one of the good ones" among Marvel movies. There is nothing wrong with legitimate optimism, it's just apparently outside of the current WB's competency zone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I believe Captain America was fairly popular and remembered as "one of the good ones" among Marvel movies. There is nothing wrong with legitimate optimism, it's just apparently outside of the current WB's competency zone.

True, but that film did make fun of the original idealised version of Captain America pretty hard.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Funny, that's the opposite of what I was told less than a month ago when I asked in one of the Panel threads when I asked about Superdickery. The covers make you think Superman might not be a hero, but their actual stories culminate in a "Pshaw, he's a hero, what is wrong with you" message.

Most of them are built on Supes having a reason for his dickery. Tt usually involves plans he isn't informing his friends of and generally showing a sort of unfortunate disregard for their emotions. However the stories generally didn't take themselves seriously at all. Yes Superman made Jimmy Olsen morbidly obese as a plot to foil Lex Luthor's evil alien liposuction clinic, but the story will just end with a pun about "shaping up" and by the next issue he's back to normal shape. We're meant to laugh a bit at Jimmy's misfortune and not think too hard about it because he's a comic book character.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

True, but that film did make fun of the original idealised version of Captain America pretty hard.

It made fun of the propaganda but the entire movie was an earnest and honest tribute to Greatest Generation values. It even had a sequel about the world being ruined by the Baby Boomers.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Donald Glover :aaaaa:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Listen, if you don't want to know how to get a man's pants off, don't ask.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That fuckin' grin.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

The idea of Superman is extremely outdated.

Ummm. No. Irony and subversion are mainstream. They are outdated and cowardly approaches now unless played with genuine humor.

Grant Morrison's All Star Superman interview remains relevant here.

Grant Morrison posted:

In today’s world, in today’s media climate designed to foster the fear our leaders like us to feel because it makes us easier to push around. In a world where limp, wimpy men are forced to talk tough and act ‘badass’ even though we all know they’re making GBS threads it inside. In a world where the measure of our moral strength has come to lie in the extremity of the images we’re able to look at and stomach. In a world, I’m reliably told, that’s going to the dogs, the real mischief, the real punk rock rebellion, is a snarling, ‘gently caress you’ positivity and optimism. Violent optimism in the face of all evidence to the contrary is the Alpha form of outrage these days. It really freaks people out.

I have a desire not to see my culture and my fellow human beings fall helplessly into step with a middle class media narrative that promises only planetary catastrophe, as engineered by an intrinsically evil and corrupt species which, in fact, deserves everything it gets.

Is this relentless, downbeat insistence that the future has been cancelled really the best we can come up with? Are we so hosed up we get off on terrifying our children? It’s not funny or ironic anymore and that’s why we wrote All Star Superman the way we did. Everything has changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap. That’s what my Final Crisis series is about too.

Knight Boat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 30, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
rear end is extremely good & has an extremely good acronym

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Superman is evil or dangerous in like 80% of timelines, probably the only hero with a worse track record for being evil is Reed Richards.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Reed Richards can't shoot lasers from his eyes though so he's not as evil as Superman.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The best Superman comics are the ones where he inflicts his weird fetishes on Jimmy Olsen.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Superman is a poor man's Goku

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

He's a poor gaijin's One Punch Man :anime:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Reed Richards can't shoot lasers from his eyes though so he's not as evil as Superman.

He could invent laser goggles, though, so same difference.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

like I'm starting to wonder if he's just a kid (Note his constant attempts to be a completely uninvited arbiter of what's "childish" and what isn't, like how non cgi effects are childish because power rangers used them and prequel dislikers are rejecting something not from their childhood, he's desperate to be seen as "mature"), a troll, or has something actually wrong with him.

I've pm'd mods before to ban him or something but apparently making completely breathtakingly stupid points and repeating them until everyone has forgotten what the point of the thread was is technically not against the rules.

he's a sack of poo poo

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So on tonight's PreRec stream, Jack (half in jest) said that if someone donated 150 bucks, he'd do it dressed as a clown.

A few minutes ago, someone donated 150 bucks. Rich is... displeased.

E: holy balls, someone donated 200 for Jack to be a silent clown.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 31, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rich and Jack are just ripping BvS to shreds right now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

good that movie was a piece of poo poo

I hate it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The gif's getting a lot of use.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

The gif's getting a lot of use.

And rightly so.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

E: holy balls, someone donated 200 for Jack to be a silent clown.

Ahahaha.

Also did anyone else see the other thread's multi-page derail discussing the merits of the new Superman movie?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

TequilaJesus posted:

Ahahaha.

Also did anyone else see the other thread's multi-page derail discussing the merits of the new Superman movie?

Oh poo poo, that was This thread!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

TequilaJesus posted:

Ahahaha.

I'm gonna ask if we can get the GBS thread moved here and this thread moved to GBS

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

lol around what time in the video?
https://www.twitch.tv/previouslyrecorded_live/v/57691548

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

8 track betamax posted:

I'm gonna ask if we can get the GBS thread moved here and this thread moved to GBS

Is training people to specific subforums still a thing? Can we have Mr. Bibs?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

Chalk it up to them still being the folks who complained about MoS (represented in the new movie as anti-Superman folks who are consistently coded as wrongity wrong wrong), I guess.

Tell me your thoughts about Lady in the Water.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

try 48 mins

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

You (or someone) is doing God's work. :tipshat:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Holy gently caress I just opened the new Pre Rec video and skipped to a random point and they were arguing with MisterBibs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWEJb_3IFBw&t=2698s

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Holy gently caress I just opened the new Pre Rec video and skipped to a random point and they were arguing with MisterBibs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWEJb_3IFBw&t=2698s

It wasn't just me, for once! :colbert: Others pointed out how they clearly ignored the scene where Lex discusses his motivation, after saying he doesn't have a motivation.

Rich says it himself: "Where is that?!". It's a textual, blatant scene with Eisenberg practically talking to the audience that they missed (or, more realistically, were actively not bothering to pay attention).

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 31, 2016

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Those people were able to articulate their arguments, so Jack and Rich engaged them.

You just came off as foolish, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ooh ooh ooh i know why he keeps coming off as foolish, i know why!

• Locked thread