Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

In the US there are groups of people who when asked their denomination will reply "just Christian" or claim no denomination. This is an immediate red flag that tells you they are actually crazy fundies.

Either that or they're Easter and Christmas Christians. The difference comes from how often they talk about it and whether they are from the southeast (roughly Virginia to Texas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Jack Gladney posted:

"Non-denominational protestants," basically what everybody else calls fundamentalists.

Having grown up in that environment, I can assure you that they call themselves this too. Also keep an ear out for the word "evangelical" as an adjective, not a denomination. Alert words.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Or people who ostentatiously refer to themselves as "Followers of Christ" but NOT "Christian."

"It's not a religion, its a relationship with Christ."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mischalaniouse posted:

Or people who ostentatiously refer to themselves as "Followers of Christ" but NOT "Christian."

"It's not a religion, its a relationship with Christ."

Yes, anyone who believes in Jesus as some holy figure but sneers at the word "religion" should be backed away from slowly and warded against with the nearest pentacle.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jay O posted:

Having grown up in that environment, I can assure you that they call themselves this too. Also keep an ear out for the word "evangelical" as an adjective, not a denomination. Alert words.

Not entirely; Evangelical Lutheranism tends to be reasonably safe.

I've seen the behavior a lot from Southern Baptists, though that may just be because I live in the South, so it'd be like someone working at a dog kennel claiming they've mainly seen rabies in dogs.

It's not a HUGE demo, but the religious pandering films tend to attract a lot of church groups for the same reason elections attract a lot of older people.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Common people interpreting religious texts to insane extremes is nothing new. But don't take MY word for it.

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/

tldl it as all better when assholes preached in Latin

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Common people interpreting religious texts to insane extremes is nothing new. But don't take MY word for it.

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/

tldl it as all better when assholes preached in Latin

I do think it would be neat to read the Bible in Aramaic or Hebrew, but Latin? Eh...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miss Wallace posted:

It has no business being so catchy!

And the only words I can remember are "pizza," "man," and "pan."

Pretty soon someone's head is going to explode in X-Files cold-open style because of that movie.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Phelous's Secret of the Hunchback review is finally available to the public!

Said during a rescue attempt of the fair Esmerelda right next to a whipped Quasimodo who is facing imminent unfair execution
"We will avenge you my friend!"

He is right there. You have your hand on his hump. He is small enough. You can literally pick him up and run.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

MrSlam posted:

Phelous's Secret of the Hunchback review is finally available to the public!

Said during a rescue attempt of the fair Esmerelda right next to a whipped Quasimodo who is facing imminent unfair execution
"We will avenge you my friend!"

He is right there. You have your hand on his hump. He is small enough. You can literally pick him up and run.

My reaction to the "secret": :stonk:

Seriously, just how much crack did they smoke before animating that??

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Ensign_Ricky posted:

My reaction to the "secret": :stonk:

Seriously, just how much crack did they smoke before animating that??

Yeah the actual secret of the hunchback was just batshit insane

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The Noah Who Posts Things just put up a pretty nifty retrospective on Wolfenstein.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ignore this post

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Todd's new OHW is on Eve Of Destruction by Barry McGuire and it is fantastic.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

poparena posted:

The Noah Who Posts Things just put up a pretty nifty retrospective on Wolfenstein.

Noah's videos are always incredibly interesting, but he could really use some editing tips. He doesn't edit out his occasional stumbling over his words and accidentally cut himself off at the end of the video. I do like the lo-fi aesthetic of his intros and outros though.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Noah's videos are always incredibly interesting, but he could really use some editing tips. He doesn't edit out his occasional stumbling over his words and accidentally cut himself off at the end of the video. I do like the lo-fi aesthetic of his intros and outros though.

This is brought up nearly every time a Noah Caldwell-Gervais video is posted here, and IMO he should start looking for someone else entirely to edit his videos, if he hasn't already. From what I gather from the little he talks about himself, he's an overworked lower-middle-class person in what sounds like a colossally lovely neighbourhood. He probably dedicates most of what little free time he has to the actual playing and writing of what he's critiquing (as well as the other fairly ambitious travel side-projects he does), while editing corresponding video cuts and the best takes for videos that last an hour or longer is a hell of a task that's not really necessary to delivering the overall point of his writing, so he just throws in the most adequate bare-minimum for that.

I've always been really sympathetic to the dude and just kinda chuckle at his flubs, but it's evident that it gets to a lot of people and could really use something to touch it up on the whole. At the very least, he could do with a tip on how to make sure his audio and the game audio stay consistently balanced without too much fine-tuning.

I will say that he makes sure to be on-point with his occasional jokes and jabs, especially when he's calling out some bullshit like in the Postal video or that one bit in VTMB or most of A:CM. And his "gently caress this bullshit" bits feel way more sincere than most, because he's a genuinely passionate person who wants to see good in games and deliver a more relevant and meaningful message than "boy video games sure do suck huh???"

I always make long rambling defensive posts whenever The Noah Who Posts is brought up I'm sorry but he's just so good and neat and handsome :kimchi:.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Who are we gonna telephone?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Moartoast posted:

This is brought up nearly every time a Noah Caldwell-Gervais video is posted here, and IMO he should start looking for someone else entirely to edit his videos, if he hasn't already. From what I gather from the little he talks about himself, he's an overworked lower-middle-class person in what sounds like a colossally lovely neighbourhood. He probably dedicates most of what little free time he has to the actual playing and writing of what he's critiquing (as well as the other fairly ambitious travel side-projects he does), while editing corresponding video cuts and the best takes for videos that last an hour or longer is a hell of a task that's not really necessary to delivering the overall point of his writing, so he just throws in the most adequate bare-minimum for that.

I thought he posted a video a few months back about how his Patreon actually made him enough money to stop working at the pizza place, but he wound up taking some part-time pizza slinging work because he was bored or something? Either way, his content is good enough that I can overlook his editing/sound mixing issues, but I think a little extra effort could go a hell of a long way.

I also kinda want a video where he shoots the poo poo with Super Bunnyhop.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

I thought he posted a video a few months back about how his Patreon actually made him enough money to stop working at the pizza place, but he wound up taking some part-time pizza slinging work because he was bored or something?

The van he bought for making travel logs got thoroughly vandalized, so he offered refunds to the patrons for that month and went back to working to make the money he needed to fix up the van, since he didn't want to use Patreon money for something patrons didn't know they'd be pitching towards. Hence the "lovely neighbourhood" part.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

:stonk: why did I have to hit my data cap?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

:stonk: why did I have to hit my data cap?

What sort of third world hellhole do you live in that has a data cap?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Terrible Opinions posted:

What sort of third world hellhole do you live in that has a data cap?

T-Mobile.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm so so sorry.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Celery Face posted:

Todd's new OHW is on Eve Of Destruction by Barry McGuire and it is fantastic.

Is that one just on Patreon right now?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
At the moment, yeah.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Mischalaniouse posted:

Seconded. That video is a pro-click. Thanks for that, Poparena.

E: Actually, I had to only listen to much of that due to motion sickness. Not Noah's fault, of course. Lots of interesting info and assessment.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 31, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Moartoast posted:

The van he bought for making travel logs got thoroughly vandalized, so he offered refunds to the patrons for that month and went back to working to make the money he needed to fix up the van, since he didn't want to use Patreon money for something patrons didn't know they'd be pitching towards. Hence the "lovely neighbourhood" part.

That's super good of him to do that. Now if only the other Noah Who Doesn't Make Content™ would actually be that upfront with his backers :v:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Kyle Kallgren has a new video out today, where he reviews Man of Steel.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So all that waxing poetic was just to set up a punchline about how character development is dumb?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One day I will get the live action Superman movie based on All-Star Superman that I've always wanted, and then all will be right in this world.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So all that waxing poetic was just to set up a punchline about how character development is dumb?

Tell me Bravest, who did you have to horribly murder in order to learn that killing people is bad?

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 31, 2016

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Moartoast posted:

The one travel log he did made me super excited to eventually go on a road trip with some buddies. Still need the money and the time off but I definitely have the drive now.

The occasional flubs never really bothered me and even became a part of his charm. One could argue that polish and charm can sometimes be conflicting, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's about more than that - it's about the attitude that morality is purely learned from experience, to the point where it's impossible to believe that actual murder is bad unless you've tried it yourself. That's far from the only way to develop a character.

'Can someone be inherently good?' and 'can someone have values unrelated to their own experience?' are pretty key questions around the character of Superman. I mean, he is a literal superpowered alien working for the benefit of humanity.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That sounds a fairly good basis for an ethos though - trying to avoid something terrible you've experienced firsthand.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That sounds a fairly good basis for an ethos though - trying to avoid something terrible you've experienced firsthand.

Thing is that it isn't the only one, though, which that Snyder quote seemed to be implying. It basically denies the possibility of human (or Kryptonian) empathy.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The idea that someone can only learn that killing is bad after murdering someone is loving ridiculous.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Of course, which is why it's silly for people to use it as an argument against MoS.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Actually, Superman killing Zod was the best moment of Man of Steel. In a film where he was constantly oscillating between his Kryptonian and Earthly father-figures, ideologies, and identities, he finally has to make a choice. But it doesn't come without cost; not only is Superman traumatized by the fact that he had to kill, but he also eliminated the last connection to his homeworld, the last person who could understand the burden of his heightened senses and consequent super-anxiety. By killing Zod, Superman guarantees that he'll be alone. After seeing Man of Steel, I was shocked that so many people hated that scene when it's easily the best part of an otherwise dreary movie. And I was very interested to see the kind of isolation Superman would go through after MoS, possibly withdrawing from emotional connections entirely to become a mechanism of justice for a people he has difficulty relating to. I was looking forward to seeing how the god turned into a tool - a tragic inversion on the "boy scout" stereotype that we have of Superman. And I was excited to see the kind of pressure Superman would face in this role, and the inevitable frustrations resulting from his inability to save everyone all the time.

But then Batman v Superman just had him and Batman yelling and punching for no reason, then they fought a monster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Of course, which is why it's silly for people to use it as an argument against MoS.

Despite that being why the director said he included that scene of Supes killing someone?

You've really lost me here.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beefstew posted:

Actually, Superman killing Zod was the best moment of Man of Steel. In a film where he was constantly oscillating between his Kryptonian and Earthly father-figures, ideologies, and identities, he finally has to make a choice. But it doesn't come without cost; not only is Superman traumatized by the fact that he had to kill, but he also eliminated the last connection to his homeworld, the last person who could understand the burden of his heightened senses and consequent super-anxiety. By killing Zod, Superman guarantees that he'll be alone. After seeing Man of Steel, I was shocked that so many people hated that scene when it's easily the best part of an otherwise dreary movie. And I was very interested to see the kind of isolation Superman would go through after MoS, possibly withdrawing from emotional connections entirely to become a mechanism of justice for a people he has difficulty relating to. I was looking forward to seeing how the god turned into a tool - a tragic inversion on the "boy scout" stereotype that we have of Superman. And I was excited to see the kind of pressure Superman would face in this role, and the inevitable frustrations resulting from his inability to save everyone all the time.

But then Batman v Superman just had him and Batman yelling and punching for no reason, then they fought a monster.

This is what we call "trying way too hard to look smart"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's just a way to read a film, especially from a director who is heavy into visual storytelling.

• Locked thread