Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

*starts screaming, screaming gets louder and louder*

ASL in a nutshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
OCS needs

but without timg

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

On another note, I am making a (now more serious) revamp of the OP, as such, I've created a Sub-Categories section that handles specific series of games. Currently I only have OCS and COIN.

Can you please let me know:

1. What I should add/remove from the currently existing categories
2. What new subcategories should I add? (SCS? Dunno much about it. ASL?)

How about adding the Great Battles of History series under the Hex and Counter category? All but one of the games listed now are WW2.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Incidentally has there been any news about the Ireland COIN or is it just dead?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Incidentally has there been any news about the Ireland COIN or is it just dead?

That's Pendragon right?

I've seen playtest pictures of that floating around facebook, it's in the pipeline.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

ASL in a nutshell

In for a penny shitload of pennies, in for a pound ton.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

COOL CORN posted:

That's Pendragon right?

I've seen playtest pictures of that floating around facebook, it's in the pipeline.
No that's post-Roman Britain. The Ireland one is called terrible beauty? Or something like that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah Terrible Beauty was supposed to be Irish War of Independence/Civil War but the last news I can find is from 2014.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

T-Bone posted:

OCS needs

but without timg

This is straight-up awesome. I love everything about this picture: the shirts, the cigar, the pallet-table, the aisles of binders filled with god-knows-what.

Are the two games meant to be integrated or is this a bolt-together thing?

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 24, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Are the two games meant to be integrated or is this a bolt-together thing?

Yeah:

quote:

Case Blue is designed to be played both separately or linked to the 2001 game Guderian's Blitzkrieg II. The monster linked game allows players to run operations on the entire Eastern Front (except for Leningrad) from the fall of 1941 until mid-1943.

If you do play Reluctant Enemies Tekopo, post about it because maybe it will give me enough courage to break the shrink on mine.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

good god

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Psssh, this isn't even complete! There's at least 2 missing action packs, probably one scenario pack, another few Winter Offensives, and that's not even mentioning the journals!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

T-Bone posted:

OCS needs

but without timg

Life Goal

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Psssh, this isn't even complete! There's at least 2 missing action packs, probably one scenario pack, another few Winter Offensives, and that's not even mentioning the journals!

Nor the hundreds of scenarios and packs by third parties.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

T-Bone posted:

If you do play Reluctant Enemies Tekopo, post about it because maybe it will give me enough courage to break the shrink on mine.

Just so folks know, I have a standing offer to help anyone who wants to learn OCS. I've been playing for over a decade.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Nor the hundreds of scenarios and packs by third parties.

I didn't know we were going to include third-party stuff. Now I need to see a huge flowchart...

Want to help me put one together? :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I didn't know we were going to include third-party stuff. Now I need to see a huge flowchart...

Want to help me put one together? :getin:

I don't have enough hours in the day, friend.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Wargames Thread - I don't have enough hours in the day.

I might honestly try once I get a little more free time.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

CaptainRightful posted:

How about adding the Great Battles of History series under the Hex and Counter category? All but one of the games listed now are WW2.

Would second this, just for variety. Also maybe put in some links/info for active wargame mags like S&T/WaW/Modern War, Against the Oddss etc.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

wins32767 posted:

Just so folks know, I have a standing offer to help anyone who wants to learn OCS. I've been playing for over a decade.

That's awesome, I may take you up on this when I gather the courage/time.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

wins32767 posted:

I bought myself OCS: Korea not long ago but I can't imagine being able to convince anybody I know to play the dang thing with me. A poorly advised solo attempt could be in my future though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Speaking of OCS, MMP is having 30% off sale on some stuff. Reluctant Enemies is one of them: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/

There's also Angola, a bunch of ASL, and A Victory Lost. Although with shipping you might find some of that stuff cheaper still @ http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/mupuse.html

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Starter Kit #2 back in print :monocle:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Worst part about that is that there are 3rd party modules that get a lot of love from that niche of ASL gamers but God help you if you're looking for what modules you need.

That and many of the core ones become out of print awful fast. Yanks is getting its reprint soon(ish), but was out of print for years. Consider that that is the core module for US in Europe. Out of print and absurdly expensive for years.

Thankfully, Multi-Man Publishing has been focusing on combining a lot of older modules in their reprints/new modules. Rising Sun, for example, is a combination of Code of Bushido and Gung Ho! along with extra stuff (like its own Historical mini-campaign module). Hopefully the module dependency is going to not be so multi-tier as it was, but the big thing is that MMP is a small publisher and Advanced Squad Leader reprints involve redoing a ton of graphics that were lost from the original printings by Avalon Hill. It's a long, long-term hobby.

The main, main thing about ASL is that you really could be playing the Beyond Valor for a long enough time that all the extra stuff is really not needed. Don't make my mistake and buy a billion modules because "it'll go out of print" -- it'll take you enough time to play Beyond Valor alone in the years it takes to reprint some of these things.

I really do hope they manage to make an instruction manual that can ease people into the full game effectively. As it stands, the rulebook is much more of a reference manual than a teaching aid and makes the rules look way more complex than a lot of the game's core components really are. Most of the rules you read in that giant text is piecemeal and tied to very specific scenarios.

Last thing: MMP should really think about officially adapting the original Squad Leader's first scenario (The Guards Counterattack) because it really defines the core gameplay and was what sparked the original popularity of the game in the first place. It's very straightforward and very playable, while still being a solid step of from the Starter Kit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Trynant posted:

Worst part about that is that there are 3rd party modules that get a lot of love from that niche of ASL gamers but God help you if you're looking for what modules you need.

http://aslscenarioarchive.com/

Trynant posted:

Last thing: MMP should really think about officially adapting the original Squad Leader's first scenario (The Guards Counterattack) because it really defines the core gameplay and was what sparked the original popularity of the game in the first place. It's very straightforward and very playable, while still being a solid step of from the Starter Kit.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/ASLOfficialDownloads/tabid/109/Default.aspx

Download "Scenarios from ASL Classic"... Scenario A is Guards Counterattack.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

By the way, I do find that Advanced Squad Leader holds up a lot better than it really has any right to for all the innovation and improvements war games have had. In regards to modern titles that do exciting things, Combat Commander is a fantastic example of WW2 squad-level gaming. It's use of cards as virtual dice compresses a lot of the rules that sprawl over ASL's manual, especially the way dice can trigger events. The designer, Chad Jensen, also happens to be a wizard with well-written rulebooks and Combat Commander is no different. It really is a clever game that takes a lot of Advanced Squad Leader's infantry combat and compresses down to a shorter, faster, and streamlined game.

Chad Jensen also cites Advanced Squad Leader for teaching him "that anything can be modeled within a game, with any level of detail desired." The big thing is that Advanced Squad Leader covers a huge scope of gameplay at squad level while balancing detail and playability in a way that very few--if any--games have replicated. And for all Combat Commander does, ASL's cool stuff is in how it incorporates so many things into a playable(ish?) system. You can't do tanks in Combat Commander, along with a lot of other things that ASL goes wild with. I personally like the multi-floor buildings and the surprising amount of ways the environment is so destructible in ASL. That it manages to not fall into the "bucket of dice" trap and keep all the rules tied to two six-sided dice and counters (more or less) is a pretty fantastic feat. And it has possibly my favorite implementation of opportunity fire in about any game (although Earth Reborn's interrupt system possibly trumps it). Finally, for all the random results that can happen in Advanced Squad Leader, it keeps its randomness interesting (i.e. dice rolls never become the binary "roll X+ or miss" boredom).

So, hey, it's not all bad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I recently discovered a website that has a lot of third-party stuff; Hero Pax 1, Rout Pak 1, and Aussie ASL '97 Pack are on the way. Super excited :D

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Fair enough, I have printed that out and keep those around. Still, I think MMP would benefit from including the classic scenarios straight out of the box of Beyond Valor. They're really spiffy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Trynant posted:

Finally, for all the random results that can happen in Advanced Squad Leader, it keeps its randomness interesting (i.e. dice rolls never become the binary "roll X+ or miss" boredom).

The "Ebb and Flow" of combat thanks to the inherent randomness of the dice is probably the most satisfying (or damning) thing about my games.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Trynant posted:

I really do hope they manage to make an instruction manual that can ease people into the full game effectively. As it stands, the rulebook is much more of a reference manual than a teaching aid and makes the rules look way more complex than a lot of the game's core components really are. Most of the rules you read in that giant text is piecemeal and tied to very specific scenarios.

To an extent that's what the Starter Kits are for though, right? Obviously they omit some rules, but as a way of getting the main themes across seems like they work quite well. I haven't played any of them so I can't really comment on how true that is.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

T-Bone posted:

That's awesome, I may take you up on this when I gather the courage/time.

Sure thing. It's really not as intimidating as it looks. Most of the back half of the rule book you can ignore for a first go. Just understand the supply rules, movement, and combat and that's enough to get started.

Bullbar posted:

I bought myself OCS: Korea not long ago but I can't imagine being able to convince anybody I know to play the dang thing with me. A poorly advised solo attempt could be in my future though.

I found the only way to get partners is to train people up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

To an extent that's what the Starter Kits are for though, right? Obviously they omit some rules, but as a way of getting the main themes across seems like they work quite well. I haven't played any of them so I can't really comment on how true that is.

Did a very low quality run through one or two scenarios from Starter Kit #1 (in COOL CORN's thread, I think). It does a great job, I find, of telling the player what the rules are, what's important and what can be ignored.

It does fall a little flat because there's still very little direction, or any hints or player feedback to help newbies get a better idea as to what to expect or how to attack/defend.

Otherwise, its short and sweet, inexpensive (compared to the core modules) and a great way to test the waters before diving right in.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

wins32767 posted:

Sure thing. It's really not as intimidating as it looks. Most of the back half of the rule book you can ignore for a first go. Just understand the supply rules, movement, and combat and that's enough to get started.

I found the only way to get partners is to train people up.

I'll have to learn it myself first (so I might take you up on the teaching offer) because I've found 9/10 people who are willing to play games with me expect to do no work in learning the rules. This applies to board games and RPGs both.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The COIN games seem pretty well-suited to a team forum game, so I made a play-by-forum Liberty or Death game voting game here.

Feel free to come join and see if a goon Rebellion can beat the Royalists! If you yell the loudest, you can be George Washington.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Why not make all 4 factions playable instead of using the bots?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

CaptainRightful posted:

Why not make all 4 factions playable instead of using the bots?

Certainly a possibility. My thought was that I didn't want it to devolve into a one-player-per-side normal game where I'd just be acting as referee, and to give the people playing some "common cause" against a mutual enemy but still with a little jostling and negotiation. If it gets enough interest, though, I'd be happy to open it up to having all sides be goon-controlled.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Discussion of Washington's War in the boardgames thread has me thinking- how is For The People? Mark Herman Civil War sounds nice but I remember someone- Tekopo IIRC- saying it was kinda dated?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Discussion of Washington's War in the boardgames thread has me thinking- how is For The People? Mark Herman Civil War sounds nice but I remember someone- Tekopo IIRC- saying it was kinda dated?
It is. It does some things well: the combat/generals system is pretty good, but the card play is atrocious. It has one big deck, no firing of events if you play something from the other side, no shuffling of the deck etc. Most of the events aren't worth firing either.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I like FtP exactly because you don't need to think about manipulating your deck, that has always felt bit too gamey for me. FtP games also tend to look bit more historical than something like PoG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think that's fine, but my main problem is that you can get absolutely screwed based on your draws, and there is no way to ensure that your good stuff is going to come out. At least in TS you can work around it and there is something interesting about working around enemy events. In FtP there is none of that: didn't get any high Ops/any campaigns? Well, too bad. Here, have a low ops card with a lovely event on it. The cards feel a lot more random (although usually you can do a lot even with low ops cards). To be honest, I bought the U.S. Civil War because I wanted something with more freedom to it than a game being tied to a single deck mechanism, and I like it a lot more.