Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

GamingHyena posted:

Well enjoy your magical utopia of unenhancable charges and reasonable punishments, because it isn't that way everywhere.

In Oklahoma, your second weed charge, REGARDLESS OF THE AMOUNT, is a felony where you're looking at 2-10 years in prison. Always a fun learning experience for people from Colorado visiting the Sooner State.

In Texas, two prior prison trips means that getting involved in a dispute over an air conditioner repair bill can result in a life sentence (though to be fair, today you'd "only" be looking at 25-life instead of an automatic life sentence).

I refuse to believe that this is Oklahoma and Texas and not Saudi Arabia. What the gently caress, Ameribros.

Unrelated: I got my first search warrant excluded yesterday :unsmith: It means I lose a week of billable trial time :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vaginas are weird and gross but I learned that in high school not law school

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I refuse to believe that this is Oklahoma and Texas and not Saudi Arabia. What the gently caress, Ameribros.

Unrelated: I got my first search warrant excluded yesterday :unsmith: It means I lose a week of billable trial time :smith:

I'm in the middle of a voir dire in a sexual assault prelim and the judge seems to be on my side... I might not even make it to trial.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The south resists any sort of change, they have the worst obesity epidemic in the world and some of the worst educational outcomes in the world, but let's focus on abortion instead because that's what matters

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

calvus posted:

The south resists any sort of change, they have the worst obesity epidemic in the world and some of the worst educational outcomes in the world, but let's focus on abortion instead because that's what matters

Hey, the South is obese and and dislikes abortion. Both are consistent with liking fat women, I see no discontinuity here?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

As a southern obese abortion survivor, I

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Just received messages from two separate associates at the same time via my firm's internal chat program. These are almost comically sad:

Associate 1, C/O 2009 posted:

i think i need to get my life in order
i just had coffee with my friend from college, alex
he's got 2 kids, working on a 3rd, has been at the same company for 15 years, a beautiful wife, a beautiful home
i've got a dog
with a gas problem
that's all i've got to show for my life
i think i've officially entered into career/life crisis mode

compared with:

Associate 2, C/O 2012 posted:

I just want to feel like a real person again and as long as I'm at a firm, I probably won't
getting a dog will be a nice distraction from work stuff

Can't make this poo poo up.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

HiddenReplaced posted:

Just received messages from two separate associates at the same time via my firm's internal chat program. These are almost comically sad:

compared with:

Fire them both for counter-revolutionary thoughts! :commissar:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The places do mess with your mind. I got an actual drafting assignment today (rather than a markup or such) as a wee first year, and the thought process goes something like:

1) Cool! I get to draft on my own!
2) What the hell happened to my mind to turn that into something exciting?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

Well enjoy your magical utopia of unenhancable charges and reasonable punishments, because it isn't that way everywhere.

In Oklahoma, your second weed charge, REGARDLESS OF THE AMOUNT, is a felony where you're looking at 2-10 years in prison. Always a fun learning experience for people from Colorado visiting the Sooner State.

In Texas, two prior prison trips means that getting involved in a dispute over an air conditioner repair bill can result in a life sentence (though to be fair, today you'd "only" be looking at 25-life instead of an automatic life sentence).

A guy in Canuckistan just got 10 years for mowing down a whole family while driving drunk. 4-6 years is a pretty reg sentence for a straightforward manslaughter (clonked a guy with a bottle during bar fight, unfortunately he fell down and bled in his brain and died)

I can't even conceive of those sentences for the offences you've described. If you told me you were describing sentencing in North Korea I'd believe it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

terrorist ambulance posted:

A guy in Canuckistan just got 10 years for mowing down a whole family while driving drunk. 4-6 years is a pretty reg sentence for a straightforward manslaughter (clonked a guy with a bottle during bar fight, unfortunately he fell down and bled in his brain and died)

I can't even conceive of those sentences for the offences you've described. If you told me you were describing sentencing in North Korea I'd believe it

Texas is the shithole of America, and Oklahoma is the state that Texas makes fun of for being backwards rednecks.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

HiddenReplaced posted:

compared with:

2012 person sounds just like me tbh. I started in 2012 and I'm thinking of getting a greyhound (apparently they are good apartment dogs because they are super lazy 99% of the time just have to take them out running on the weekend).

But I'm always at the office on weekends too so frankly, the cost of a dog walker would probably be excessive.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

Texas is the shithole of America, and Oklahoma is the state that Texas makes fun of for being backwards rednecks.

What the gently caress? You are thinking of Florida; Florida is the shithole.

Texas is the annoying kid in the neighborhood that says "nu-uh" after anyone says something cool. :clint:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Texas is great, I'll fight you. (and get 15 years for aggravated assault)

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Roger_Mudd posted:

What the gently caress? You are thinking of Florida; Florida is the shithole.

Texas is the annoying kid in the neighborhood that says "nu-uh" after anyone says something cool. :clint:

It's a real tough call between Texas and Florida about which one is shittier

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Texas is great, I'll fight you. (and get 15 years for aggravated assault)

Just shoot him and make sure he's black.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Texas is pretty great if your middle / upper class white male that is into Mexican chicks

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

2012 person sounds just like me tbh. I started in 2012 and I'm thinking of getting a greyhound (apparently they are good apartment dogs because they are super lazy 99% of the time just have to take them out running on the weekend).

But I'm always at the office on weekends too so frankly, the cost of a dog walker would probably be excessive.

I would love a dog. However, it would be cruel to the dog, as I cannot really justify to the dog why I sometimes get home at three in afternoon and sometimes at midnight.

I also refuse to get a dog walker to remedy my lovely work hours (and because I'm cheap and do not want to ever become reliant on partner money to do that type of poo poo).

Finally, I live alone in a rented home that does not allow dogs.

Go to law school, live alone post-divorce in a rented home that does not allow dogs, do not permit yourself the one creature in the world that loves you unconditionally, because you would destroy it through your neglect.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 31, 2016

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

SlyFrog posted:

I would love a dog. However, it would be cruel to the dog, as I cannot really justify to the dog why I sometimes get home at three in afternoon and sometimes at midnight.

I also refuse to get a dog walker to remedy my lovely work hours (and because I'm cheap and do not want to ever become reliant on partner money to do that type of poo poo).

Finally, I live alone in a rented home that does not allow dogs.

Go to law school, live along post-divorce in a rented home that does not allow dogs, do not permit yourself the one creature in the world that loves you unconditionally, because you would destroy it through your neglect.

You really need to get yourself another girl, self pitty won't exactly draw them in either

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

SlyFrog posted:

Go to law school, live along post-divorce in a rented home that does not allow dogs, do not permit yourself the one creature in the world that loves you unconditionally, because you would destroy it through your neglect.

Unfortunately too long for the thread title

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I just got a dog, he's great. I walk him in the mornings when I don't have court or during lunch when I do.

His name is Chode and I'll post pictures later.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have two dogs and they do nothing and i let them poop in my backyard

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I have one dog and he's a real rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My dog is awesome.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

calvus posted:

You really need to get yourself another girl, self pitty won't exactly draw them in either

I've had another girl for a year-plus. I'm ok there. Well, as okay as any ultimately futile relationship in this sea of entropy can be.

Plus, girls, unlike dogs, don't really love you. This is the lesson I have chosen to take out of my divorce - don't loving judge me.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 31, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Puppy and kitty are the best.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Get a roommate with a dog. All the benefit, none of the responsibility. Even when they ask you to feed the dog while out of town for four days and you forget.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

Get a roommate with a dog. All the benefit, none of the responsibility. Even when they ask you to feed the dog while out of town for four days and you forget.

It seems like the dog wouldn't let you forget it hasn't been fed

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I have one. Like an idiot, I married her, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

I've had another girl for a year-plus. I'm ok there. Well, as okay as any ultimately futile relationship in this sea of entropy can be.

Plus, girls, unlike dogs, don't really love you. This is the lesson I have chosen to take out of my divorce - don't loving judge me.

I remember reading that court case, valuable advice from law school.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
SlyFrog bringing me down.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

calvus posted:

It seems like the dog wouldn't let you forget it hasn't been fed

Wow the dog is begging for food just like every other hour of the day

blarzgh posted:

I have one. Like an idiot, I married her, though.

Man as soon as the courts legalized gay marriage I knew people would be marrying their dogs but never thought I'd see it in person

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Look at this idiot. He's great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

SlyFrog bringing me down.

Awwwww. Get the greyhound. It will make you feel better. Dogs are awesome. Even in the darkest pits of depression, dogs are awesome.

Also, regarding the cost of dog walkers, if you're not a cheap fucker like me, it's not excessive. There's a reason you work the hours you do. Don't take the negatives of this type of job (brutal hours), but then also deny yourself the positives (hot dog walkers at your beck and call, taking care of your doggeh).

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Had a group project to write a request for re-exam for my PTO practice class

I told the group I'd edit it since I'm on law review and that gives me good editing experience (lol)

Professor loves brevity in these assignments, said he was looking for ~5 pages for the substantive portion of the submission
Group sends it and it's 27 pages long. I fix the typos and inconsistent citations and formatting and pare it down to 22 before I give up on trying to fix it anymore.

I send it back and the version that the person compiling the forms together sends has half of the stuff I removed added back in because apparently it was "critical" to repeat the claims 7 times throughout the piece.

Professor goes over examples in class - pulls ours up and comments on "this is like the 8th time they've unnecessarily repeated claim 1" (before getting to the only 2 paragraphs that are important to the argument) "why did it take 18 pages for them to get to the point?"

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I heard this was a dog photo thread now

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
A good dog

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I got home at midnight last night. My dog was super happy to see me.then a thunderstorm hit at 2am. I had to lay in the guest bed cuddling him while he shook in terror for three hours. This morning he knocked my kid over to steal his Graham cracker.

Like I said, my dog is an rear end in a top hat.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Two of four.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I got home at midnight last night. My dog was super happy to see me.then a thunderstorm hit at 2am. I had to lay in the guest bed cuddling him while he shook in terror for three hours. This morning he knocked my kid over to steal his Graham cracker.

Like I said, my dog is an rear end in a top hat.

Go get a thundershirt. They're loving amazing at instantly calming down an anxious dog.