Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Titus82 posted:

Guys... I think I've got a serious problem and I don't know what to do about it. I just bought the Boerning class and a character slot, which brings my total number of characters up to ten, one for each class. My highest level is Drachenfutter and he is only level 56, I haven't leveled him in weeks, as I keep logging in to play one of my alts.

I think I'm addicted to rolling alts.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

The next step is realizing that you can purchase up to 50 character slots, so there's no need to stop at ten!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Welcome to MMOs I guess.

In LotRO alone I have approximately 20 toons that have made it to around 24-30ish, although 60% of those are pretty much just crafters. Only 8 or so really ever saw serious playtime beyond that.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've never, ever, been able to stand alts in MMOs. There's been a few times where I started a new character because I abandoned my old one, but my old one was never max level.

I generally get one guy and do all the things on that guy.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I haven't been on the forums for like a week, and got all excited when I saw there were 70 new posts in here. Figures it'd be some dumb drama again, that's the only time this thread blows up. A little backstory for those of you that haven't been around since the beginning: we had a pretty active instance/raid group from 2007 through 2009. It was originally a happy funtimes group of goons that were a pleasure to play with.

Sometime in 2009, the serious business spergs took over the group and would invite pubbies to raid instead of fellow goons that were online and wanted to come along, because the pubs were the elite min/max type of shithead that ruins every MMO, and the goons were fuckups that got in the way of the spergs' progression. I left the game for almost a year because I was one of the goons that wasn't good enough for their group. Things were totally different when I came back, and every single one of the spergs had hosed off to other games and never came back.

I've personally tried to get goon groups going in the past, but I stopped trying a few years ago when people would commit to a time and then not show up. In today's LOTRO, you're gonna have to suck it up and group with some pubbies in order to run high end content. Gone are the days where we can be selective and take only goons along. A lot has changed for me since this game came out. I was 22 and worked part time back in 2007. Now I'm 31, work full time, and have a wife and 3 kids. This game is too old to attract a significant amount of new players, so most of the people that still play are 30 and older.

xZAOx posted:

I've never, ever, been able to stand alts in MMOs. There's been a few times where I started a new character because I abandoned my old one, but my old one was never max level.

I generally get one guy and do all the things on that guy.

I'm typically the "have one character that you max out" type of MMO player, mainly due to time restrictions. LOTRO is the only MMO in which I've had one character for every class (except Beorning because I haven't bought it yet). I think a lot of that is because I've played the game for 9 years and put thousands of hours into it. The only game that comes anywhere close to the time I've spent in LOTRO would be EVE, and I quit that game several years ago.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So I was thinking of getting back into this for fun (I havne't played in years and even then I think I abandoned my Burglar somewhere on the Barrow-Downs). I have no ambitions to do anything serious or end-gamey but the world appeals and I'd like to explore as much of it as I can. Is there a class that's clearly better than the others for soloing, including soloing champion mobs? I've heard Wardens used to be far and away the best but apparently that's been toned down lately? Basically I want to be as self-sufficient as possible and see as much content as I can...!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 31, 2016

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zephro posted:

So I was thinking of getting back into this for fun (I havne't played in years and even then I think I abandoned my Burglar somewhere on the Barrow-Downs). I have no ambitions to do anything serious or end-gamey but the world appeals and I'd like to explore as much of it as I can. Is there a class that's clearly better than the others for soloing, including soloing champion mobs? I've heard Wardens used to be far and away the best but apparently that's been toned down lately? Basically I want to be as self-sufficient as possible and see as much content as I can...!

It seems wardens are still really good at soloing, and they get fast travel. I've heard good things about beornings being strong tanky healer types.

But those are both for pay (though if you buy moria, which you should, I think wardens come along with it). Of the actual classes which are left and aren't those... minstrel seems to be a strong powerhouse for clearing out solo and groups. I've done hunter myself and I go crazy without fast travel so to each his own.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I think most of the classes have been adapted to have a better time soloing.

However, I would probably say Warden is the best. Warden is great for the increased run speed and fast-travel skills, and the gambit system they use is fun and requires a level of attention other classes don't.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It seems wardens are still really good at soloing, and they get fast travel. I've heard good things about beornings being strong tanky healer types.

But those are both for pay (though if you buy moria, which you should, I think wardens come along with it). Of the actual classes which are left and aren't those... minstrel seems to be a strong powerhouse for clearing out solo and groups. I've done hunter myself and I go crazy without fast travel so to each his own.

Beornings are powerhouses until endgame, where they level off a bit and fall behind more specialized classes. Still a good choice if your gameplay goals include "be a bear" and "eat lots of honeycakes."

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK, thanks. I'm not sure it's a great idea to buy Moria yet given I've only just started this again - if I can't play Warden, it sounds like Minstrel would be the second-best?

I'll be playing from the UK - is it worth joining Landroval for the goon presence at this point? Or will the lag make it annoying?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 31, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I assume Hunters aren't the strongest, but at the same time, I've never had many troubles killing normal elites, and it's really easy to travel to the world.

I can't like, run into a group of 5 mobs and aggro them all though. If a pull has an elite and some buddies, then I usually bust out some traps and a few CC shots.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks. I'm not sure it's a great idea to buy Moria yet given I've only just started this again - if I can't play Warden, it sounds like Minstrel would be the second-best?

I'll be playing from the UK - is it worth joining Landroval for the goon presence at this point? Or will the lag make it annoying?

Minstrel is good. Sing/shout your enemies to death.

I can't speak to lag, but the goon presence has seen better days. There will probably be a spike in goon play once the new content drops.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Zephro posted:

I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone make a server or guild choice based on goon presence in this game. If we were going to have a renaissance of people in this game, it would have been when we had the server merge.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK, thanks. I think I have one friend who might still be playing but if he's not I might roll on Landroval since it's better than knowing nobody at all!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I still think Landy is a good server. There's plenty of active guilds, and I'm sure at least 1 or 2 that actively work on progression. Usually a decent amount of pugging for a few things too.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
All servers are located in the state of New Jersey, so your ping will be the same regardless. Landroval is an excellent server, goons or not, so no worries there.

Warden is by far the hardest class to play out of any MMO I've ever played. They build combos called Gambits out of combining 3-5 attacks with Spear-Scream(tons of screaming)- and Fist. There are so many combinations that someone actually constructed a wall chart for people to use. It's a class that you have to play consistently in order to be able to remember all of your gambits, so you can't walk away for a few months and pick up where you left off like you can with pretty much any other class in the genre. Don't get me wrong, I've seen Wardens do some truly amazing things, but it comes at a price.

In truth, they've made this game easy enough that pretty much any class is good for seeing everything. That said, Hunters(my fav), Burglars and possibly Rune Keepers are likely at the low end of survivability. People forgot to mention that survivability is an absolute given for all 3 of the heavy metal classes: Guardian - standard sword & board tank, Champion - melee DPS, and Captain - buffmeister with a pet soldier.

And don't forget Loremasters too! You can play as Gandalf-lite with a pet tanking for you. LMs are very survivable, although the ranged DPS Minis pump out is higher.

Zephro posted:

I have no ambitions to do anything serious or end-gamey but the world appeals and I'd like to explore as much of it as I can.
This is actually the best way to play this game.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Litany Unheard posted:

Beornings are powerhouses until endgame, where they level off a bit and fall behind more specialized classes. Still a good choice if your gameplay goals include "be a bear" and "eat lots of honeycakes."

This is true of their damage but their ability to survive and their heals in yellow/hybrid spec is better than any minstrel I've seen. Beorning is my favorite healer to have healing Osgiliath T2, and in terms of soloing roving threats they do it just about as easily as wardens while pressing a lot less buttons.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zephro posted:

I play from France and there's no real issue, I get booted every now and then but I think that's more an issue on my end. It'll be cool to run into someone in my time zone, there's a couple of us now. I have some low level alts two so if you get in your 20's maybe we can start doing a few things together (though you'll probably outlevel me mighty fast seeing as it is your main).

And... you really should get Moria. I mean try the game, see if you like it, but if what you care about is exploring and discovering Middle Earth, outside of the Shire, Moria is by far the best created area in the game. It's clearly a labor of love.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK, thanks for the advice! One more question, heh - what professions should I pick for a Warden? I have no idea if crafting is any use for a casual player but I vaguely remember there's one profession combo that has two gathering skills? Would that earn me enough money that I could just buy stuff off the AH? Or is crafting the way to go?

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
I play mostly at Euro hours so if you need any help I can do most things.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks for the advice! One more question, heh - what professions should I pick for a Warden? I have no idea if crafting is any use for a casual player but I vaguely remember there's one profession combo that has two gathering skills? Would that earn me enough money that I could just buy stuff off the AH? Or is crafting the way to go?

The only two good choices for a Warden are Woodworking or Exploring. Woodworking will enable you to make your own spears, javelins, and carvings, and even more importantly, Legendary Items for your class. You can also sell your excess wood. Explorer will enable you to make your own leather armor and sell your excess ore.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zephro posted:

On the other hand crafting is boring as all hell and you need to be VIP to get any use out of the guilds or something (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Go explorer, that's the mat, gathering class and the one you're thinking of.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
If you want to explore and not worry about ever dying if you're even semi-competent at playing the game, play a Guardian.

They are super tanky and don't really have a hard time dishing out damage. Just my two cents.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?603773-Turbine-Point-cost-of-U18&p=7562160#post7562160

quote:

There have been some questions around the pricing of the new region pack: “Region Pack: Far Anórien”.

We took into consideration of current pricing, historical pricing, free points, and what the goals were for this particular set of content.
*Quest packs: typically 595 – 795tp. Current pricing since Great River has been 1x Quest Pack = 795tp (some of these, have in fact, included instances)
*Instance Clusters: 1495tp (Rohan and Isengard)
*Raids: As we’ve only sold one individually at 1295tp, we took this into consideration as well.

The plan:
For u18, the Region Pack will give you access to all new quest content (70+ quests), deeds,
the instance cluster (3 instances), and also give you access to the raid (more information TBD)
when that arrives with u18.2.

1495+795 = 2290 tp
Current price: 1995tp

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

VIP peeps don't need to buy region packs, right?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thanks for posting this, I've been waiting on an update and didn't catch this. I still have no problem with the price that would stop me from grabbing it, but I agree with the (five posters in a row or something immediately after) that said alright your math isn't bad but sell them separate so non-raiders or even just people on a budget don't pay 1200 TP for a raid that won't exist for another month or two or three who knows.

Chairchucker posted:

VIP peeps don't need to buy region packs, right?

Correct, most content in general other than expansion packs are unlocked while VIP

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Tomorrow is Saturday and as such, Edheladan is gonna be chilling in Middle Earth, 2 PM PST. All goons are invited to join me in my merry adventures.

Lets run Fornost or Watcher or something dumb.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
My uncle suddenly died of a heart attack yesterday and today is my mom's birthday...so I'm a bit busy today, probably won't be able to make it...

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

So I was browsing the rest of this thread and it seems like it's difficult to level past the mid 30s without spending money? Can someone elaborate on how that works?

Also I think for now I'm going to roll on Laurelin, cos it turns out I've got an IRL friend who plays there. If I end up l liking the game though (and I'm enjoying it so far at level 18) I'll likely roll another char on Landroval!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 2, 2016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

My uncle suddenly died of a heart attack yesterday and today is my mom's birthday...so I'm a bit busy today, probably won't be able to make it...

Sorry to hear that. :( Take care and we'll catch you later.

Zephro posted:

So I was browsing the rest of this thread and it seems like it's difficult to level past the mid 30s without spending money? Can someone elaborate on how that works?

Also I think for now I'm going to roll on Laurelin, cos it turns out I've got an IRL friend who plays there. If I end up l liking the game though (and I'm enjoying it so far at level 18) I'll likely roll another char on Landroval!

The game is free up through the Lone Lands, which is an area where you'll reach about level 30-ish. After that, you have to buy quest packs for the different regions or get a monthly subscription.

You do get store currency (Turbine Points) for doing stuff in the game, but it's a slow grind if you don't want to drop any real cash.

Play up until 30, then decide if you're having a good enough time to put some money in. They also have sales where you can get double Turbine Points, so you might want to wait for another one of those.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Oxphocker posted:

Jesus that sucks. Take care.

Can someone kin my alt Fabulis when they come online?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Litany Unheard posted:

Tomorrow is Saturday and as such, Edheladan is gonna be chilling in Middle Earth, 2 PM PST. All goons are invited to join me in my merry adventures.

Lets run Fornost or Watcher or something dumb.

We ran Watcher, and after several aborted attempts, slew the beast. There was only five of us, so pretty good I think! We followed up our success with a disastrous Pelargir run, or at least we thought it was disastrous, but the NPCs said we won, so it's all good.

Same time next Saturday. Be there or be somewhere else!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Litany Unheard posted:

Sorry to hear that. :( Take care and we'll catch you later.

The game is free up through the Lone Lands, which is an area where you'll reach about level 30-ish. After that, you have to buy quest packs for the different regions or get a monthly subscription.

You do get store currency (Turbine Points) for doing stuff in the game, but it's a slow grind if you don't want to drop any real cash.

Play up until 30, then decide if you're having a good enough time to put some money in. They also have sales where you can get double Turbine Points, so you might want to wait for another one of those.
OK, thanks. Looking at it, Trollshaws only gives 100 quests and only for 35-39. It's 446 Turbine Bux even with the sale on; I guess I'm going to be nickel-and-dimed all the way to 60 if I don't get a subscription, right?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Buy Evendim if you buy anything. Everyone agrees that it's the best choice.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I just realized that my interest in Bingo has waned since... he arrived in Rohan. I just really hate Rohan it seems.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So, Far Anorien is coming out in a week. Finally connecting Rohan with Gondor in the north. Apparently you can't just purchase the quest pack, so it's 1995 TP whether or not you plan on doing instances. I may have to wait a while for a sale on this, since I'm still hooked on The Division anyhow.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

So, Far Anorien is coming out in a week. Finally connecting Rohan with Gondor in the north. Apparently you can't just purchase the quest pack, so it's 1995 TP whether or not you plan on doing instances. I may have to wait a while for a sale on this, since I'm still hooked on The Division anyhow.

Thanks for the post, this is a few weeks earlier than even I had guessed. Where did you find it? Didn't see a post on social media or the dev tracker on the forum. Hopefully they'll split the raid and the quest pack by launch, or even after, but I'm still buying it day one.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

Thanks for the post, this is a few weeks earlier than even I had guessed. Where did you find it? Didn't see a post on social media or the dev tracker on the forum. Hopefully they'll split the raid and the quest pack by launch, or even after, but I'm still buying it day one.

http://lotroplayers.com/2016/03/31/update-18-set-to-release-april-11th/

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

edit: nevermind, fixed. Weird.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 5, 2016

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I just realized that my interest in Bingo has waned since... he arrived in Rohan. I just really hate Rohan it seems.
Oh, no! I just got Bingo out of Moria. I don't want to lose interest in him; it's the only thing I'm not burnt out on.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bingo himself is cool and good, I just have no interest in aiding these insufferable horse people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

People going to be around on Saturday afternoon, like was the case a couple of weeks ago? I'll definitely be on all Saturday night (definitely from 10 pm GMT +1 for probably 2 hours, but most likely earlier)and happy to run things.

Besides Roving threats, I'd like to do a Tarlang's Crown run, I think I need to do it all once more and I finally get that deed checked off, naturally I'm up for anything though if they're people around.