Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That's about the time I do my annual autumn hike in Seoraksan, so weather wise it's good for hiking. Jeju will be a bit nippy for the beach, but it should be slightly less crowded with tourists (I don't particularly think there's anything on Jeju that needs to be prioritized over the mainland sights on a short trip though).

There's a minor holiday at the beginning of November, but it's not one of the ones that will affect travel at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

(I don't particularly think there's anything on Jeju that needs to be prioritized over the mainland sights on a short trip though).

Dicks?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mainland has penis parks too

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bugblatter posted:

(I don't particularly think there's anything on Jeju that needs to be prioritized over the mainland sights on a short trip though).

Do you know Hallasan? It's a beautiful mountain in Korea!

YBM 4 LYFE

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

bringmyfishback posted:

Do you know Hallasan? It's a beautiful mountain in Korea!

YBM 4 LYFE

That video from period 2 where the black girl plays like 2 notes on a gayageum and the Koreans burst into applause is the worst.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
5 years on this is still the best kpop song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8c1t1QTDI

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Whizbang posted:

That video from period 2 where the black girl plays like 2 notes on a gayageum and the Koreans burst into applause is the worst.

This will never fail to make me laugh: http://www.thewaygookeffect.com/2011/02/10-worst-dialogues-of-public-elementary.html

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Hahaha omg I've known you goons for years now how come it's the first time I've seen these?

Chimie
Nov 22, 2013

nervana posted:

Hahaha omg I've known you goons for years now how come it's the first time I've seen these?

I didn't know it was possible for the current books to be any worse. But apparently Korea has come a long way.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I don't even think they do live videos anymore

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

My elementary books, published in 2015, use live videos and a few guys in chat use to discuss their curriculums live videos. They are awkward, but nothing approaching the stuff in that link.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

What book series is this, anyways? I don't think it's YBM and that's the only one my school used.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Random question but is everyone here an English teacher? I'll be taking the three-week language course at Ewha in June and was wanting to check out feasible career moves that didn't involve TESL while there (though I'm definitely exploring that route if President Trump happens [mostly joking...])

Is it basically study there, get transferred there, or be a teacher there?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

district 12 posted:

Is it basically study there, get transferred there, or be a teacher there?

Yes

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

district 12 posted:

was wanting to check out feasible career moves that didn't involve TESL while there

There aren't.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Okay yeah, that's about what I gleaned from my research. I'll make the most of my month there then.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are multiple goons working real jobs in Korea now. I don't know how any of them got into it though.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

There's always the militaahahajsha.

Please send help.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Start a goon run youtube channel called "drink your soju", if you don't want to teach English.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I have a real job but I have an F4 and just work 100% remotely for an office in Chicago. This is probably not an option for most people.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
If they're coming for a 3 month language course, they don't have the Korean ability or visa to get anything beyond under the table English teaching.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Raphisonfire posted:

Start a goon run youtube channel called "drink your soju", if you don't want to teach English.

Sadly I don't think I'm ~~~~ToTaLLy RaNDoM!!!~~~~ or koreaboo enough to do that. I'm interested in the beauty and fashion industries and globalized marketing. I've seen jobs available on LinkedIn but they require bilingual skills (makes sense) and are undoubtedly competitive like nuts.

Whizbang posted:

If they're coming for a 3 month language course, they don't have the Korean ability or visa to get anything beyond under the table English teaching.

Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting to land a job during my time there, just wondering what the plausible options were and if it was even worth looking for something other than TESL as a way to return to the country longer-term.

district 12 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 2, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Actually very few of the Korea goons are still teachers, most have moved on to other things.

Speaking the language helps a lot, having a unique skill also. Knowing people helps the most.

I don't think you'd be able to make the necessary connections to land a visa sponsoring job in a few months, let alone a few weeks, though.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm looking to move to Korea long term as well. What about the military bases in the country? There must be a boatload of civilian contractors working for the DoD in schools, hospitals and IT positions.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Several of my friends were able to keep their Bay Area salaries when they moved to Korea. Having a unique skill definitely helps when it comes to getting hired there.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Many of us work outside of ESL now. There are plenty of jobs to be had if you're patient and persistent. The E-7 visa is not that hard to qualify for and covers a lot of different careers.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
What are you guys working as, if you don't mind sharing?

The closest thing I got to a job outside of ESL was working as a trader for an investment banking firm in Busan. The only catch was the visa (I was on a tourist one)

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

superm0nk posted:

Many of us work outside of ESL now. There are plenty of jobs to be had if you're patient and persistent. The E-7 visa is not that hard to qualify for and covers a lot of different careers.

That's good to know, but it kinda sounds like TESL is the gateway? I just don't know if I have the patience to teach, plus I'm in my late 20s, would that put me at a disadvantage for an actual career in a couple years?

Thanks for answering my questions, everyone, I'm glad there are options, at least!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah maybe only a dozen of us still teach. Those of still teaching, stay largely because they're cushy gigs that don't treat us like poo poo. Regardless, us and everyone who moved into other fields all have one thing in common: knowing people.

You could consider coming in on an e2 teacher visa, live in seoul, and network and get out in a year to a better industry?

If you do come here for that, you gotta keep moving though. Being comfortable as an efl teacher is borderline suicidal.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Raphisonfire posted:

What are you guys working as, if you don't mind sharing?

The closest thing I got to a job outside of ESL was working as a trader for an investment banking firm in Busan. The only catch was the visa (I was on a tourist one)
There are a few of us in the gaming industry.

ESL definitely was the gateway for most of us, but not everyone here. Of course your opportunities expand a lot once you're in the country, can interview in person, establish connections, etc. As AmbientParadox said, even within ESL your opportunities will get much better after your first year here (generally).

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Your options also improve if you have experience and a masters. Basically if you are exceptionally qualified, surprise it's easier.

Two of us are working as editors at IP law firms.

For contracting jobs you likely have to be hired stateside.

Among the people I know, you get a much better deal being hired from the states and brought over, though the expat package for Korea like everywhere else seems to be drying up.

The E-7 visa covers 85 job codes which have multiple titles underneath them (including sea cucumber farming technician) and the requirements are basically:
High school degree and 5 years experience
Bachelors in the field and 3 years
Masters and 1
Or a degree from a top 100 school and maybe no experience
Or get lucky, these are general standards but the immigration officer has the right to ask for more or less

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Emigrate to the Philippines, naturalize, then get hired to work in a Samsung plant for 16hrs a day/7 days a week. BOOM.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

AmbientParadox posted:

Being comfortable as an efl teacher is borderline suicidal.

It's true, send help.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

nullscan posted:

Emigrate to the Philippines, naturalize, then get hired to work in a Samsung plant for 16hrs a day/7 days a week. BOOM.

16 on paper... be prepared to work 18

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
My GIRLFRIEND agreed to go hiking with me this weekend.

I guess that means I won Korea, boys :smug:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

AmbientParadox posted:

My GIRLFRIEND agreed to go hiking with me this weekend.

I guess that means I won Korea, boys :smug:

She actually wants you to take a hike

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Back in the States now but need to mail some stuff to my wife's family. Mailing from Korea to the US was so cheap and easy - is there any decent option for the reverse? It's insane; we paid like 40 bucks for a massive 20kg box by boat in Korea but here the USPS wants 90 for a little box of snacks. It seems air is the only possibility here. Am I wrong?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

dantheman650 posted:

Back in the States now but need to mail some stuff to my wife's family. Mailing from Korea to the US was so cheap and easy - is there any decent option for the reverse? It's insane; we paid like 40 bucks for a massive 20kg box by boat in Korea but here the USPS wants 90 for a little box of snacks. It seems air is the only possibility here. Am I wrong?

Make friends with someone who has an armed forces address? Those count as domestic no matter where they are. Its slow boat, but it will get there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

If it's all commercial items you can buy it off amazon or eBay and use a reshipper. But then you're basically buying stuff in the US online and having it shipped to Korea. No special items or notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

There are flat rate boxes. I remember years ago I had my computer tower shipped to me with various extra things and it cost maybe $170?