Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Carbon capture/clean coal is a mind-bendingly dumb idea and it is good that Longannet is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best carbon capture/clean coal/solar power idea is the one that they have in Norway, where solar power is used to grow a ton of pine trees which capture carbon which is burned in modified coal plants. Rinse, repeat.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The best carbon capture/clean coal/solar power idea is the one that they have in Norway, where solar power is used to grow a ton of pine trees which capture carbon which is burned in modified coal plants. Rinse, repeat.

Isn't that no longer true since the early 00s?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

TomViolence posted:

Well, nuking Europe is the kind of maniacal bluster he can't really follow through with, but making life worse for women is something well within his reach even just in his current role as a right-wing demagogue with the ear of every moron in America.

If he can't have that gold course, no one can. :unsmigghh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't that no longer true since the early 00s?
No longer true that it's the best because there's better tech, or no longer true that Norway runs a rolling sunshine energy and carbon storage scheme based on the common spruce?

Afaik they were still doing that, although they have a ton of hydro too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hasn't it turned out that fast growing pines are significantly worse at carbon capture than stuff like oak? Or if they're not it's something like the lower albedo means a glut of pines makes the world warmer

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Their plan has always been rolling storage though, where you get n years of growth and then burn them for power. They can't be releasing any more carbon than they absorbed over the course of their growth, so it's carbon neutral with respect to that one plant even if it's overall not as good as oak.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, nice. It also seems Norway is now under 5% non-renewable energy sources? That's pretty ace. Although I've always wondered - does that count vehicles as well?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They all run on trees too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blWVB-JpdEk

(I am probably lying here. But at least one of them does. The breakdown usually only refers to grid power though.)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Guavanaut posted:

Afaik they were still doing that, although they have a ton of hydro too.
Turns out that this is quite easy to do when your country is sparsely populated and mainly consists of mountains, and most of the non-mountainous bits are pine forests.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LemonDrizzle posted:

Turns out that this is quite easy to do when your country is sparsely populated and mainly consists of mountains, and most of the non-mountainous bits are pine forests.

It is a shame that a vast chunk of the northern parts of Britain aren't sparsely populated & mainly mountains.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
wouldn't tidal power more more sense anyway for britain

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

It is a shame that a vast chunk of the northern parts of Britain aren't sparsely populated & mainly mountains.

I think our mountains are not quite as good, and also a bit less river-y? We do seem to have this thingy though -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

forkboy84 posted:

They aren't to anything like the same degree. The thing about hydro is that the technology is over a century old - pretty much every site in the developed world where it might be worth building a plant already has one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also worth remembering that the worst hydro disaster made the worst nuclear disaster look like small change. Not that there's even anywhere to build something like that in the UK.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also when you have a government that isn't a bunch of unintelligent ideologues.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I think our mountains are not quite as good, and also a bit less river-y? We do seem to have this thingy though -

We also have this (just down the road from me)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruachan_Power_Station

But really everywhere round here is mountains with forests stuck on the side and waterfalls running down them. It's very picturesque but a pain in the arse if you need to actually get anywhere.

Edit: Also tidal lochs. I don't really understand how it all works though.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 31, 2016

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's inconsistent, but hydro isn't even considered to be renewable energy for a lot of purposes. The environmental impact is often too severe.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

The thing is that there are a lot of hydro power stations across Scotland, especially in the Highlands. My granny lived near the biggest one, by Ben Cruachan. But aside from Cruachan & Foyers there's only 2 other that have a capacity over 100MW. And only one of those was built post-1979. Though there are plans two create 2 new plants in the Great Glen which would each have a capacity of 600MW, making them the biggest in Scotland. Which sort of makes a mockery of claims that they've all been built.

Obviously we couldn't have the same proportion of our energy generated by hydro, but we could absolutely get more out of it than we currently do. It shouldn't be the main part of our renewables strategy but it'd be daft not to utilise it. The Highlands are the size of Belgium & with just over 200,000 people in them, more than a quarter of whom are concentrated in Inverness & the surrounding area. It's loving wet & it's very hilly

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jose posted:

wouldn't tidal power more more sense anyway for britain
With any luck, Swansea might have a tidal lagoon by 2022-ish, with one planned for Cardiff if it's a success.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Edit: Also tidal lochs. I don't really understand how it all works though.
Those are both pumped storage, which is Cool and Good, but can't generate any actual power on their own. I remember visiting the one in North Wales a long time ago.

Basically the idea was supposed to be that nuclear power (e: coal/nuclear at first, but the grand plan would be nuclear) provided a good baseline slightly above the average daily power use. During the night the surplus is used to pump water from the lower pool to the higher one, then when everyone puts their kettles on and the mills start up the extra peak power demand is met by letting the water rush through the pumps backwards.

Then privatization happened, which is apparently so short-termist that thinking 8 hours ahead is excessive, so everything is rapid response gas plants now and all the mills are closing anyway. :toot:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 31, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
e: quote is not edit :eng99:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guavanaut posted:

It's also worth remembering that the worst hydro disaster made the worst nuclear disaster look like small change. Not that there's even anywhere to build something like that in the UK.

More people die from air pollution in the EU alone every week than have died from all nuclear disasters put together.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Explain yourself, LemonDrizzle.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

Mosul dam is apparently on the brink of collapse and could have a higher fatality count than that.

i think this disaster is worse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_Yellow_River_flood but i suppose that was someone doing it intentionally rather than failure

MrL_JaKiri posted:

More people die from air pollution in the EU alone every week than have died from all nuclear disasters put together.

coal plants release a load of radioactive particles into the air too that rarely gets discussed

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

With any luck, Swansea might have a tidal lagoon by 2022-ish, with one planned for Cardiff if it's a success.

That's almost certainly not going to happen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Over 300 000 a week?

(Hiroshima and Nagasaki were disasters. :colbert:)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Explain yourself, LemonDrizzle.
Corbyn eats cake before his dinner. This is bad for Corbyn.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Over 300 000 a week?

(Hiroshima and Nagasaki were disasters. :colbert:)

Why do all the people who die of skin cancer not get included in the solar power statistics?????

Either way, make it yearly for the deaths by air pollution in the EU and you have your stupid and irrelevant comparison!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why do all the people who die of skin cancer not get included in the solar power statistics?????

Either way, make it yearly for the deaths by air pollution in the EU and you have your stupid and irrelevant comparison!

Pffft, I was kidding but now I'm trying to think what a solar farm disaster would look like.

Doubt photo-electric panels could go super-critical.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
In further "2016 can eat a buffet of dicks" news:

Ronnie Corbett has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35934024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Venmoch posted:

Ronnie Corbett has died.

And it's goodnight from him. :/

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jedit posted:

And it's goodnight from him. :/

https://twitter.com/jamieross7/status/715491797665849344

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Pffft, I was kidding but now I'm trying to think what a solar farm disaster would look like.

It'd look like a bunch of separate incidents where tradesmen fall off of roofs. Which still kills more people per TWh than nuclear throughout Europe.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I suppose we can also expect the TV schedules to be clogged over coming weeks with even more Two Ronnies retrospectives than usual, god help us, god help us all.

Fork handles, four candles. What genius. Almost as good as whatsisface falling through the bar in Only Fools and Horses. Celebrity deaths are getting to be like royal births, who even really gives a poo poo unless they turn out to be nonces?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TomViolence posted:

I suppose we can also expect the TV schedules to be clogged over coming weeks with even more Two Ronnies retrospectives than usual, god help us, god help us all.

Fork handles, four candles. What genius. Almost as good as whatsisface falling through the bar in Only Fools and Horses. Celebrity deaths are getting to be like royal births, who even really gives a poo poo unless they turn out to be nonces?
At the rate we're going the only person left by the end of the year will be Zane loving Lowe :(

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I do.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

Those panels look pretty heavy. One could fall on you?

Guavanaut posted:

It'd look like a bunch of separate incidents where tradesmen fall off of roofs. Which still kills more people per TWh than nuclear throughout Europe.

If there was a button I could push to make it so that nobody died of anything at all for a few years but then after that period they would almost all bite the dust at the same time (say 80%, so the death rate is down), I would do it just to watch everyone freak the gently caress out about the soaring death rate.

Long term/statistical thinking is hard.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 31, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Pffft, I was kidding

Some people do believe that, though (and, similarly, that all cancer deaths can be attributed to nuclear energy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Venmoch posted:

Ronnie Corbett has died.

It's a shame. Even recently he's done some good stuff - I really liked him in Burke and Hare even though the film itself was atrocious.

• Locked thread