Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Any good yuri manga recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

What've you read, if anything? Girl Friends, Octave, and Sasameki Koto are the usual recs. Possibly Aoi Hana as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For slightly more off the beaten track recs The Flower and the Star is very good and funny and anything written by Morishima Akiko, some of her stuff is NWS though.

Also in case you fancy playing a yuri VN Kindred Spirits on Steam is good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StandardVC10 posted:

Don't Become An Otaku, Shinozaki!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shinozaki is funny but actual yuri stuff is never going to happen

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It will if we believe

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

It will if we believe

that's a stretch

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
*waggles eyebrows*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blhue posted:

*waggles eyebrows*

*stabs u in the face*

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

StandardVC10 posted:

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/kase_san
http://dynasty-scans.com/series/a_kiss_and_a_white_lily

And there was this one which I recall enjoying but it got cancelled apparently.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Shinozaki is funny but actual yuri stuff is never going to happen

Shun the nonbeliever

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

Not interested in anything explicit.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni isn't on Steam (but apparently will be someday), but wikipedia says this and this are prequels. Are they any good?

Bit late responding to these, but if you want some great VN's some of the Infinity series is pretty fantastic, if you can tolerate the in-between filler scenes. Ever 17 is the worst for being a time sink, but it's really cool. Don't want to spoil anything, but the true end is absolutely the craziest thing that I've experienced in a VN. Remember 11 has much better pacing, and is pretty intriguing, but the ending was... well.. a little bit lacking in comparison.

Then there's the Fate/Stay Night VN's which are pretty sweet (and the option to be free of explicit content with the Realta Nua releases). For something short and sweet, Planetarian is pretty good too

As for anime recommendations for myself, I'm looking for some new shows, but don't really know what I'm looking for. Stuff that's a bit more realistic/dark/serious tends to draw me more, but I love some good comedy as well. Wouldn't mind any good recommendations in a fantasy setting.

Really liked:
- LOGH
- Nichijou
- Seirei no Moribito
- Space Battleship Yamato 2199
- Macross (most of the more serious ones)
- One Punch Man
- Cromartie High School
- The new Berserk OVA's
- Erased
- Anything by Masaaki Yuasa
- Planetes

Stuff I sorta digged:
- Twelve Kingdoms
- Madoka
- Death Note
- Code Geass
- UC Gundam (Only seen the original series, some of Zeta, and some of Turn A)
- Baccano

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 29, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
worth noting that the eternity series is mostly written by kotaro uchikoshi, the writer of the zero escape games and Punch Line

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mederlock posted:

As for anime recommendations for myself, I'm looking for some new shows, but don't really know what I'm looking for. Stuff that's a bit more realistic/dark/serious tends to draw me more, but I love some good comedy as well. Wouldn't mind any good recommendations in a fantasy setting.

It's a bit older than most of the things you listed, but Record of Lodoss War is one of the classics of fantasy anime. There was an OVA and a followup TV series produced. In addition, there is a comedy series called Louie the Rune Soldier set in the same world that is worth a watch.

You'd probably also like the Crest/Banner of the Stars series. Crest starts out fairly small-scale and focuses mostly on the two lead characters, but Banner and the other subsequent series are full-on space operas with warring star empires and massive fleet battles.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 29, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

This has some v. cute faces.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kase-san is good and I always forget about it for some reason.

Maybe be because no one ever loving translates it

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

It's a bit older than most of the things you listed, but Record of Lodoss War is one of the classics of fantasy anime. There was an OVA and a followup TV series produced. In addition, there is a comedy series called Louie the Rune Soldier set in the same world that is worth a watch.

You'd probably also like the Crest/Banner of the Stars series. Crest starts out fairly small-scale and focuses mostly on the two lead characters, but Banner and the other subsequent series are full-on space operas with warring star empires and massive fleet battles.

Oh yeah, I've already seen the Crest/Bots series and really enjoyed it. I'll have to check out that other show though, thanks! I wish Tytania had turned out better, space operas are probably my favourite type of show.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I want to watch a Gundam series again. It's been too long.

Gundam series I have seen:

UC:

Original, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memories, F91, IGLOO, and Unicorn (which I need to rewatch, given that I saw it strung out over multiple years and had forgotten what it was about by the end of it).

Alternate timelines:

G Gundam, Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz, Turn A Gundam (comes highly recommended if you're at all patient, by the way...great but slow to become great).

I'm considering one of: X, 00, rewatching Unicorn straight through, or the new currently-airing series. I'd tried Victory before and didn't get very far, and I haven't heard good things about Seed or Age, though I haven't looked that closely into either.

Which of these routes would be best for me?

My inclination is to watch X because it, along with Victory, are the last two pieces of pre-2000 Gundam I've never seen and would take me one step closer to finishing that time period.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Don't waste your time on Age or Seed. Seed is regarded as 'ok' with the first part being dece and the second being trash. Age is regarded front to back as poo poo.

Check out Build Fighters, which isn't strictly a gundam show in the same vein as the others, but is really fun and should be neat with you having watched a bunch of other gundam shows (it's sort of a love letter to the meta series)

X is a pretty good choice; it looks like wing and is a lot like a "what if" Uc show.

If you wanna rewatch Unicorn you might think about holding off, it's supposed to come out as a tv series soon (which is to say, the OVAs will be cut up into episodes with extra material here and there, presumably.)

Also, it's not finished, but Gundam The Origin is a prequel to the original series and it pretty awesome so far. The same for Gundam Thunderbolt; a short episode OVA with 2/4 out so far that's gorgeously animated and a fun little melodramatic one year war story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I want to watch a Gundam series again. It's been too long.

Gundam series I have seen:

UC:

Original, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memories, F91, IGLOO, and Unicorn (which I need to rewatch, given that I saw it strung out over multiple years and had forgotten what it was about by the end of it).

Alternate timelines:

G Gundam, Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz, Turn A Gundam (comes highly recommended if you're at all patient, by the way...great but slow to become great).

I'm considering one of: X, 00, rewatching Unicorn straight through, or the new currently-airing series. I'd tried Victory before and didn't get very far, and I haven't heard good things about Seed or Age, though I haven't looked that closely into either.

Which of these routes would be best for me?

My inclination is to watch X because it, along with Victory, are the last two pieces of pre-2000 Gundam I've never seen and would take me one step closer to finishing that time period.

00 had a good first series, even if it was a bit of a slow starter and was a bit awkwardly-scripted. A politics-heavy Gundam show in a recognisable near-future setting is inherently cool, and it delivered on that. The second season introduces dumb plot twists and strips away much of what makes it fun and unique.

The new Thunderbolt OVA series is extremely short (four <20-minute episodes), but has done an impressive job thus far of compressing three manga volumes into a dark, gritty, and stylish melodrama that's extremely easy on the eyes (and ears). If you liked the 08 series of OVAs (0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team), you'll like this one. The manga's neat, too, once you're done with the anime.

The first series of Iron-Blooded Orphans just finished, and has its pros and cons. The action is sparse (by Gundam standards) but impressive, the grimy, gritty aesthetic is cool, and the characters are given an unusual and pleasing amount of room to breathe and flesh themselves out. Overall, it feels a little more human that Gundam shows tend to. The downside is that the villains are, by and large, fairly weak (though there are a couple of impressive standouts), and it's kept kicking the can down the road on impending, heavily-foreshadowed crises that it really could have started addressing by now, in a way that's resulted in arguments over whether it's treating some fairly reprehensible/alarming stuff as cool and good (or, at least, unimportant) or not. Also, it apparently didn't make much money back, so the fanbase is battening down the hatches for the notorious Sunrise executive meddling in the second season. I liked it, and am cautiously optimistic for Season Two, but it's not a show I feel totally confident in.

SEED isn't bad, but it's a fairly dull half-remake of the original Mobile Suit Gundam with an aggressively bland, ugly visual aesthetic. It's mostly let down by the fact that there's so much other, better Gundam covering similar territory. The sequel series, Destiny, on the other hand, is a deservedly infamous mess on just about every level, and should be avoided. It should be noted, though, that the Engilsh dub has some pretty decent work in it, and in some ways improves quite a bit on the original Japanese track.

AGE is a bafflingly incompetent disaster. Avoid.

G-Reco is a mess, but a rather endearing mess. It's Tomino at his most manically Tomino, throwing torn-up bits of script at the audience until they either flee or start getting a vague idea of what he's trying to communicate. On the plus side, it looks wonderful, with a lively, colourful world filled with impressive action scenes despite a clear shortage of time and money, and fantastic mechanical designs by new boy Ippei Gyobu, who's also been a fresh and positive influence on Iron-Blooded Orphans.

X, I've never watched, so can't speak for.

Gundam Build Fighters was a serious sleeper hit for the fanbase, a shameless cash-grab that turned out to also be a fun, cute show filled with fun, cute characters, mouth-watering action, glorious music, and a deep and abiding love for the franchise. It's not a deep, serious war story as so much Gundam aspires to be, just a lightweight sports show, but it's sinfully entertaining. Just pretend the sequel series, Try, never happened. You'll be happier that way, and since the first series was totally standalone, you will miss nothing.

Any you haven't watched that I missed there?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 31, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Appreciate both of those responses.

I think I'll watch Thunderbolt (wasn't really aware of it), and then X. Was planning on holding off on Origin until more of it was out. I don't want to get pulled into another Unicorn situation where I forget everything between installments and keep going "What was Laplace's Box, again?"

X is at least reasonable length due to its early cancellation. A ~40 episode series is a lot less intimidating to me than a ~50 ep series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Iron-Blooded Orphans was really great and gets my vote, since if you jump in now then presumably you'll be there for the second season in October. The thing is I'd almost be perfectly happy if there wasn't a second season because I thought the first wrapped things up pretty nicely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Iron-Blooded Orphans was really great and gets my vote, since if you jump in now then presumably you'll be there for the second season in October. The thing is I'd almost be perfectly happy if there wasn't a second season because I thought the first wrapped things up pretty nicely.

It really didn't wrap up anything at all. I loved IBO, but it left drat-near everything hanging in the air and it's got the specter of 00 season 2 and BFT hanging over it.

My money's on them timeskipping until most/all of Tekkadan are adults/late teens to nix that pesky interesting child soldier theme.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't want to get into spoilers or anything in this thread of all places, but I essentially felt that anything that wasn't explicitly spelled out for the viewer was more interesting if left unexplained or unsaid. Like I could see a short OVA or something as a prequel to explain some of the cast's backstory but other than that I would be perfectly content if that was the end of the major conflicts for the characters, or at least the conflicts that we'd "need" to see.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If length is a concern then G-Reco is a great choice since it's a manageable 26ish eps and is the best they put out since Turn A

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I haven't really ever watched anime in my life but my friend was like hey you need tow atch some anime and recommended a bunch of shows to me (tokyo ghoul, ergo proxy, gungrave, count of monte crisco) but I'm not really sure if I will like any of that.

Things that I have watched recently and enjoyed were Black Lagoon and well thats pretty much it, I like things with guns and I do like a little bit of comedy but the thing I like the most important is the art style I am not a fan of cutesy art (I like cute things but not chibi I guess?)...

Old anime I used to really enjoy or remember enjoying were more violent things for eample I Remember SPriggan but I also really liked the humor in Slayers! and haven't found an anime as fun as that yet.

Any suggestions what I would like? Would I like something like Gunslinger girls or Canaan possibly Angel Beats after lookign at some other anime lists online?

I like a good story too but hell I can't remember if Black Laggoon had a great story or not. Sorry im not very good at this anime thing! Help please

Things important to me:

engaging story (not a zzz fest), funny female characters (like Revy from black lagoon), guns, really beautiful art, serious / grittier type of setting

It seems everything is about being in school and interacting with people. What happened to violently shooting people in the face to solve our differences?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have you seen Cowboy Bebop?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Off the top of my head;

Outlaw Star
Cyber City Oedo 808
Patlabor (start with the Early Days OVA and then go for the 50-ep series if you like it).
Psycho Pass
Trigun
Martian Successor Nadesico

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Meowbot posted:

I haven't really ever watched anime in my life but my friend was like hey you need tow atch some anime and recommended a bunch of shows to me (tokyo ghoul, ergo proxy, gungrave, count of monte crisco) but I'm not really sure if I will like any of that.

Things that I have watched recently and enjoyed were Black Lagoon and well thats pretty much it, I like things with guns and I do like a little bit of comedy but the thing I like the most important is the art style I am not a fan of cutesy art (I like cute things but not chibi I guess?)...

Old anime I used to really enjoy or remember enjoying were more violent things for eample I Remember SPriggan but I also really liked the humor in Slayers! and haven't found an anime as fun as that yet.

Any suggestions what I would like? Would I like something like Gunslinger girls or Canaan possibly Angel Beats after lookign at some other anime lists online?

I like a good story too but hell I can't remember if Black Laggoon had a great story or not. Sorry im not very good at this anime thing! Help please

Things important to me:

engaging story (not a zzz fest), funny female characters (like Revy from black lagoon), guns, really beautiful art, serious / grittier type of setting

It seems everything is about being in school and interacting with people. What happened to violently shooting people in the face to solve our differences?

Maybe some Gen Urobuchi would be up your street? Given what you said, you might find Madoka Magica's art-style a bit too cutesy, but Fate/zero and (especially) Psycho-Pass might well float your boat. A couple of things to note - first, he's a notoriously slow starter, so give his works a few eps to see if they grip you, and second, there's an eleven-episode expanded rerelease of P-P that's a superior product to the original twenty-two-episode release. Ignore the sequel series, Psycho-Pass 2, though - it's an awful mess by a different writer who completely failed to get the setting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hellsing ultimate is pretty fun

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

hellsing ultimate is pretty fun

Yeah, that's a good shout if you liked Black Lagoon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've thought for a long while that outside of a handful of series that I was already reading that I'm relatively done with shounen, in that I just don't have the patience for the usual formula. The tournaments, the main characters who just have to raise their Burning Spirit to overcome whatever, the whole schtick. But even so, because I really like the look of it and it seems very popular I thought I'd give My Hero Academia a try.

I got maybe 4 or 5 chapters into it and uuuuuuuuuuugh I just can't do it, it's exactly the sort of setup and especially the same sort of MC who I just don't have the patience for. So I'm asking, is it just something that maybe I could persevere through to get to some really solid arcs later on? I'm absolutely willing to do so if the payoff is there, but if that beginning really is indicative of the manga I'd probably not bother.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Since you mentioned chapters I'm assuming you might be asking about manga, if you want something neat, the Korean manhwa Tower of God is pretty cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean all of the classmates get their time in the spotlight for the most part, it's not just the Deku Power Hour all the time. Also if you haven't gotten to Deku loving himself up the first time, maybe get there. This series is pretty forward with permanent consequences to using his newfound absurd power recklessly. Like drat, his mangled fingers, man. drat.

It explores the various "reasons of being a hero" really well, so far. There's at least six different motivations among the major characters for being a hero, it's a pretty diverse cast. Also, how can you not be keen on a setting that is literally just "what if instead of 5% of the population had X-Men mutant genes, 95% of the population did?"

The villains are all pretty great, and have fantastic designs. The hellraiser dude with controllable extending blade-teeth was a particularly creepy one.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 1, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was the last thing that happened of what I read (loving up his finger). I just can't behind that sort of character I guess, I don't give a poo poo about his trials and tribulations. I think it'd almost be better if he was an sort of a middle-of-the-road hero who's on the same sort of level of those around him and they all try to grow together, rather than this zero whose whole thing is rising up from nothing and everyone being surprised at when he succeeds and/or siding with him because of the power of friendship or some bullshit. I already feel like I can see how every single conflict with him will be resolved.

Don't know how to spin this in a non-:rolleyes: way but I could not give less of a poo poo about western hero/comic book-related stuff in general (I don't care for Tiger & Bunny for example) so that in of itself is not plus for me if I'm not digging the cast/story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Then I guess you're ~just done with all shonen forever~ then if My Hero Academia, a Noted Good Series, can't pop your pupae

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can try a shonen without tournaments like yae no sakura. or simply a shonen without fights like mahoraba

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Davincie posted:

you can try a shonen without tournaments like yae no sakura. or simply a shonen without fights like mahoraba
I'm not really looking for a shounen recommendation per se, I just wanted to know if very popular series My Hero Academia might be worth plunging through regardless of my biases but

Captain Invictus posted:

Then I guess you're ~just done with all shonen forever~ then if My Hero Academia, a Noted Good Series, can't pop your pupae
it sounds like the answer is "No".

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This is really funny coming from someone with a Trails avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even if I were to accept that they are similar (which I don't think I would, besides some standard sort of monomyth thing which is going to apply to just about everything), it's apples and oranges since TitS is a JRPG and I'm way more forgiving of JRPG plots because I like playing them as video games as well.