Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It turns out democracy in a country full of religious nutters and hillbillies is not necessarily a good idea. Whodve thunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am of course referring to america

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

It was not a good thing, given that the military was the stalwart protector of Atatürk's legacy, especially of secularism. Once the military and administration was purged, Erdogan revealed his true face.

Curbing the powers of a military who could topple government with mere memorandums and who engaged in the dirtiest of dirty wars against the Kurds and were keen enough on torture for a long rear end time I think was objectively good

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If you think Erodgan's war on Kurds in the southeast is deplorable I'm not sure how much you could feel positively about the legacy of Turkish military rule

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Curbing the powers of a military who could topple government with mere memorandums and who engaged in the dirtiest of dirty wars against the Kurds and were keen enough on torture for a long rear end time I think was objectively good

Counterpoint: Erdogan and his AKP are waging open war against the Kurds while making deals with ISIS

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Counterpoint: Erdogan and his AKP are waging open war against the Kurds while making deals with ISIS

The Turkish army, noted friend of the Kurds who deffo didn't smuggle heroin into Europe to fund quasi-fascist death squads and provide military training to domestic Kurdish islamist groups to act as a counterweight to the PKK

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

It was not a good thing, given that the military was the stalwart protector of Atatürk's legacy, especially of secularism. Once the military and administration was purged, Erdogan revealed his true face.

The military having influence over civilian affairs is a bad thing, just because Erdogan is poo poo otherwise doesn't change that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's hard to reconcile with what's happening now, but one of the things that brought Erdogan to power originally was making peace with the Kurds. The AKP has been very popular with the Turkish Kurds because of that -- until Daesh happened. Then Erdogan's poll results dropped among that demographics, so he restarted the civil war because he's spiteful like that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cat Mattress posted:

It's hard to reconcile with what's happening now, but one of the things that brought Erdogan to power originally was making peace with the Kurds. The AKP has been very popular with the Turkish Kurds because of that -- until Daesh happened. Then Erdogan's poll results dropped among that demographics, so he restarted the civil war because he's spiteful like that.

Well, as long as they supported Sultan Erdogan against their common enemy (the military) he was on their side but once they did not longer support him taking over Turkey for good in the last election when they campaigned against his planed presidential system he begun to wage open war against them. Given the experiences of the Arab Spring with regard to leaders that are closer to Islam, I prefer the military every single time.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-%2F%2FEP%2F%2FNONSGML%2BCOMPARL%2BPE-578.822%2B01%2BDOC%2BPDF%2BV0%2F%2FEN

This is the newest draft for the new EU Gun directive and its really good, it has fixed pretty much everything that they earlier had wrong, wow. Up next they are going to vote about this, hope it goes through.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, as long as they supported Sultan Erdogan against their common enemy (the military) he was on their side but once they did not longer support him taking over Turkey for good in the last election when they campaigned against his planed presidential system he begun to wage open war against them. Given the experiences of the Arab Spring with regard to leaders that are closer to Islam, I prefer the military every single time.

And yet you are the guy who proposed sending refugees back to him :allears:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

And yet you are the guy who proposed sending refugees back to him :allears:

I'd would prefer sending refugees back to a more secular Turkey, but you have to play the cards you are dealt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd would prefer sending refugees back to a more secular Turkey, but you have to play the cards you are dealt.

:psyduck: "Welp, guess we have to send them back to a despotic dictator. Sorry guys"

Do you have any clue how hosed up you sound?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck: "Welp, guess we have to send them back to a despotic dictator. Sorry guys"

You're talking to the dude that unironically supported sinking the boats before. Guess despotic dictator beats undersea grave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Freezer posted:

You're talking to the dude that unironically supported sinking the boats before. Guess despotic dictator beats undersea grave.

:captainpop: Holy poo poo.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
If Africans had to actually clean up their own problems instead of running away and excepting Europe to shoulder all their burdens, maybe some progress would happen on that continent too.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Puistokemisti posted:

If Africans had to actually clean up their own problems instead of running away and excepting Europe to shoulder all their burdens, maybe some progress would happen on that continent too.

It's hard to pick up the pieces of your country after the Belgians cut off your hands and feet for not harvesting enough rubber.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Greatbacon posted:

It's hard to pick up the pieces of your country after the Belgians cut off your hands and feet for not harvesting enough rubber.
Also, quite a lot of progress is actually happening in many countries, even if others are having a real hard time.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Europeans tried to carry the burdens of africans once, i wonder what went wrong.

Anyway is Spain still going for new elections? Its been Months.how long can you go without a functional goverment?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

GaussianCopula posted:

It's amazing to me that you don't think this "solution" of yours could come back around to bite Germany and the rest of Europe in the rear end.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Majorian posted:

It's amazing to me that you don't think this "solution" of yours could come back around to bite Germany and the rest of Europe in the rear end.

I don't see how it would, as long as Turkey still has to fulfill all the requirements for visa liberalization, which seems to be the case, there are very few downsides, unless you believe that €6billion earmarked for refugee projects (and never directly given to the Turkish government) is going to make a difference in Erdogan's quest to become Sultan.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Europeans tried to carry the burdens of africans once, i wonder what went wrong.

Anyway is Spain still going for new elections? Its been Months.how long can you go without a functional goverment?

If Belgium is any guide, almost two years.

Also I hope you are being facetious about the first part of your post.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't see how it would, as long as Turkey still has to fulfill all the requirements for visa liberalization, which seems to be the case, there are very few downsides, unless you believe that €6billion earmarked for refugee projects (and never directly given to the Turkish government) is going to make a difference in Erdogan's quest to become Sultan.

*cough cough* Dictator who is destroying the civil liberties of his country and starting violent conflict to fan the flames support him. *cough cough*

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Puistokemisti posted:

Ah yes the bootstraps theory of international development.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dawncloack posted:

Also I hope you are being facetious about the first part of your post.

Colonialism was described as the white man's burden at one point, you see slavery and stealing all their poo poo was in fact a good thing cos we were civilising them.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Ah yes, because rolling up uninvited is always a great way to get people to accept you.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

CommieGIR posted:

Is Erdogan mistreating the refugees?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

There have been reports of forced repatriation to Syria and unlawful detention, which only seemed to start round the end of last year...

https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/eur44/3022/2015/en/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Doctor Malaver posted:

I think the greater danger is that Erdogan will continue to stoke anti-ethnic minority/Turkish nationalist flames, which will lead to more authoritarianism from the government, radicalization of opposition factions, intervention from the major wild card that is the military, etc. Having a country on Europe's southeastern borders implode would not be a good thing, especially when they have so many refugees within their borders.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Greatbacon posted:

I know you mean well, but this sort of rhetoric revitalizes the image of Africans as helpless children, foreverially paralysed by their past and dependent on Europe just to survive; they can do quite well on their own, and they can also be the cause of their own problems like anybody else, on account of being human.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

steinrokkan posted:

I know you mean well, but this sort of rhetoric revitalizes the image of Africans as helpless children, foreverially paralysed by their past and dependent on Europe just to survive; they can do quite well on their own, and they can also be the cause of their own problems like anybody else, on account of being human.

I appreciate the point you are trying to make, and as the poster up thread mentioned, obviously not all of Africa is a poo poo hole and that there are a number of native Africans who are making progress for their countries. It's not all a poo poo hole and not all of the problems on the continent are issues stemming from European colonization.

But a vast amount of the destabilization that allowed for current situations to take root are products of colonization, and to claim that Africa and the Middle East just need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and dust themselves off now that they are free is a pretty disingenuous angle to take.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GaussianCopula posted:

Honestly I am mostly okay with the "give Turkey and Lebanon assloads of money and NGO personnel to defray refugee costs" solution. At least until / unless Erdogan finds a way to screw it up / siphon off an unreasonable amount of the dough.

If the refugee centers can be made not poo poo, everybody wins.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Honestly I am mostly okay with the "give Turkey and Lebanon assloads of money and NGO personnel to defray refugee costs" solution. At least until / unless Erdogan finds a way to screw it up / siphon off an unreasonable amount of the dough.

*Erdogan uses the eventually semi-permanent Syrian population within his borders as a pretext for reconquering Syria.*

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*Erdogan uses the eventually semi-permanent Syrian population within his borders as a pretext for reconquering Syria.*

Its Erdogan im sure this actually crossed his mind but syria is so hosed up im not sure theres another country in the world worse off.maybe NK.or the country previously known as Liberia.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Greatbacon posted:

*sigh* We just asked them to give us a hand, honest

poo poo page in the history books that we'd like to forget about but shouldn't

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pretty big "if" there, given how much good faith Erdogan seems to be acting in.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

He does. I think the impasse is being caused by those with empathy debating with those who have none. Lines are being crossed that the other party doesn't even acknowledge exist in the first place.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Regarde Aduck posted:

He does. I think the impasse is being caused by those with empathy debating with those who have none. Lines are being crossed that the other party doesn't even acknowledge exist in the first place.

I honestly don't get Euros who are surprised that a certain amount of our population is and always will be psychopaths. Where were they on history class?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I honestly don't get Euros who are surprised that a certain amount of our population is and always will be psychopaths. Where were they on history class?

You don't need to be psychopath to understand that it's unpractical to treat every human as if he were your neighbor. Even if your compassion would know no bounds your means are limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

You don't need to be psychopath to understand that it's unpractical to treat every human as if he were your neighbor. Even if your compassion would know no bounds your means are limited.

...and that's why you advocate sinking boats of refugees. Got it.

I've got news for you: You're a psychopath.