Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Did Naruto actually end or is it one of those anime zombies that must lurch on forever because the ratings demand it?

The comic finished like a year or two ago, don't know about the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Kramjacks posted:

The comic finished like a year or two ago, don't know about the anime.

But don't worry, the sequel staring his son, Boruto, is starting soon.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Internet Kraken posted:

Did Naruto actually end or is it one of those anime zombies that must lurch on forever because the ratings demand it?

It's nearing the end, but went back in to zombie filler/side story mode like 6 months ago.

Huzzah! posted:

But don't worry, the sequel staring his son, Boruto, is starting soon.

My son is also named Boruto.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Internet Kraken posted:

As someone who doesn't watch anime, why do anime fans automatically complain about filler? If it's low quality or poorly written material then sure that deserves criticism, but plenty of Western scifi or fantasy shows have had disappointing main stories but had some great standalones (helloooo X-Files).

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Inzombiac posted:

Sorry, I stopped watching after 300 episodes of filler.

I didn't and I just started on naruto shippuden or whatever it is called so thanks for ruining the show dicks

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DeusExMachinima posted:

As someone who doesn't watch anime, why do anime fans automatically complain about filler? If it's low quality or poorly written material then sure that deserves criticism, but plenty of Western scifi or fantasy shows have had disappointing main stories but had some great standalones (helloooo X-Files).

Because it generally is much lower quality than the arcs that the author puts together, contributes nothing to the overall story and sometimes introduces plotholes due to the anime writing team not being privy to the author's plans.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Because your average anime is already pretty bad and then when they start doing worse filler even the anti-social people need to track someone down to complain to. This generally entails heaving their thick fat slabs against a keyboard for a minute or two which leaves them feeling exhausted. The feeling of exhaustion is often incorrectly associated to the interaction with people instead of the obvious.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't watch anime much so I might be wrong about this but I believe filler is different in anime from the western equivalent.

Often when a manga gets popular it will be made into an anime, but the rate at which the anime is produced outspeeds the the writing of the manga. So you end up with a situation where the people making the anime still need to make more episodes but can't get ahead of the manga. So instead they introduce filler arcs, containing stories unique to the anime. They are usually dumb and pointless, even by the standards of anime. Like the cast stops pursuing their main goal for a season and starts chasing vampires for seemingly no reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's... odd.

Gotta admit, never thought it'd be a genderbent sandman. Thought it was some kinda peanut/legume ninja.

God drat anime is weird.

I dunno, I wouldn't really call that genderbent so much as just a lady cosplaying a guy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't watch anime much so I might be wrong about this but I believe filler is different in anime from the western equivalent.

Often when a manga gets popular it will be made into an anime, but the rate at which the anime is produced outspeeds the the writing of the manga. So you end up with a situation where the people making the anime still need to make more episodes but can't get ahead of the manga. So instead they introduce filler arcs, containing stories unique to the anime. They are usually dumb and pointless, even by the standards of anime. Like the cast stops pursuing their main goal for a season and starts chasing vampires for seemingly no reason.

I think they mean more the filler style of "I'm now going to spend 10 episodes talking about how I'm about to do some super awesome move, while you react in stunned gasps and do nothing else to stop me!!" which is worse than bad writing, it's lazy writing.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

DeusExMachinima posted:

Think of it like watching a series and in the middle they decide "Here's my original sonic the hedgehog fan fiction characters, let's see what wacky hijinks they get up to for the next few dozen episodes."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Even lovely near-humans that watch anime don't want to watch Goku scream for three episodes to hit Super Saiyan 3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Choco1980 posted:

I think they mean more the filler style of "I'm now going to spend 10 episodes talking about how I'm about to do some super awesome move, while you react in stunned gasps and do nothing else to stop me!!" which is worse than bad writing, it's lazy writing.

Oh I figured that's a case of it being a lot easier to animate guys screaming at each other rather than actually fighting. So an anime will have lots of redundant, repeating scenes and close up to fill up time.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

For Naruto specifically, there were multiple instances of consecutive years where the show did not have a single episode advance the plot forward despite a new episode airing every week.

e: The people making the shows are always desperately trying not to catch up to the material they're adapting, which results in really heinous "three episodes of explanation" or "showing the last ten minutes of the previous episode as the first ten minutes of the current episode" and is why no one but literal children should watch anime based on comics. The few exceptions are the ones where the comic either has decades of material to adapt (like Jojo's) or the team is going to take two or three year long breaks between seasons (like One Punch)

TTBF has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Mar 30, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wait.... They can animate them faster than they can be written?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait.... They can animate them faster than they can be written?

It's more that a weekly chapter is about 20 pages, a weekly episode is about 20 minutes and they generally do not cover the exact same timeframe.

A well paced episode will often cover two or even three full chapters, meaning that over the course of a month, the anime will cover 3 months of chapters.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
could you loving nerds post some cosplay

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

could you loving nerds post some cosplay

Tits not polygonal enough. 4/10.

That's actually really well done and I like that they did the photo in an actual wreck.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i love the gift bow power core

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The best part is imagining the reaction of all the cosplayers who have built screen-perfect replicas of the Iron Man armour but who haven't been retweeted by RDJ :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
http://i.imgur.com/wP4h9Zb.webm

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Maintain that facial expression for the full period of an entire LoL match, then we'll talk. :colbert:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Sleep with one eye open if you ever piss her off.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
That gif is begging for some datamoshing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/MUtokki/status/714683098944942083

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Oh my god. :lol:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

RareAcumen posted:

Even lovely near-humans that watch anime don't want to watch Goku scream for three episodes to hit Super Saiyan 3.

Hey, DBZ's main plot was the screaming. The filler was... something else.

"Construction Details: I just took a blue marker and drew triangles on an orange shirt..."

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elfface posted:

Hey, DBZ's main plot was the screaming. The filler was... something else.

"Construction Details: I just took a blue marker and drew triangles on an orange shirt..."

Goku and Piccolo learning how to drive is unironically the best filler any anime has every done. If nothing else for the silly cosplay it has engendered.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Spider-Gwen, Kylo Ren, and Spidermen all rhyme and have the same number of syllables, even if the spiders are cheating.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love the bored security guard in the background

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love the bored security guard in the background

The best convention guard is the guy looking at the homestuck cosplayers with utter disdain.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Filthy Haiku posted:

The best convention guard is the guy looking at the homestuck cosplayers with utter disdain.

Didn't find a version without text.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I wonder if all Jinx cosplayers have sat in front of a mirror testing their crazy eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comes natural to most wo...

Ahem.

Yes. Lots of practice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread